Neowin Digital Gallery - Yearly Edition 2011

Took this last night. Asked her if she wanted to go on a photo shoot for practice.

I like them!

too bad your shadow was in the first one

Angles on the second one are a bit different, not bad, just different.

I like them!

too bad your shadow was in the first one

Angles on the second one are a bit different, not bad, just different.

Yep they don't call it practice for nothing :)

This is another one I took.I like the orange look of this phone. I'm on my laptop so I stole it off the facebook upload, so its obviously a compressed to **** version.

24960510150215948673726.jpg

Ehh...First time posting in here...I haven't managed to get the vibrant colours the lot of you have as I'm learning but I'll get there!

I just got my T2i (first SLR) on Friday of last week. I love the camera and I especially love the detail of the shots when the image is enhanced.

So here's a shot I took of a leaf hanging over our balcony:

post-45347-0-85251800-1308028688.jpg

This is another one I took.I like the orange look of this phone. I'm on my laptop so I stole it off the facebook upload, so its obviously a compressed to **** version.

It's nice, a bit too orange IMO though (like on the forehead), I probably would have adjusted the WB just a tad.

Ehh...First time posting in here...I haven't managed to get the vibrant colours the lot of you have as I'm learning but I'll get there!

I just got my T2i (first SLR) on Friday of last week. I love the camera and I especially love the detail of the shots when the image is enhanced.

Are you shooting jpg or raw?.. Really, don't be so caught up on colors, at least not while you're shooting... Shoot raw if you aren't already. Because if you are, really there is nothing you can adjust in camera to really affect the colors (in terms of pop) that's all done by editing. (I mean of course different lighting will affect colors slightly different)...

Work more on composition first, to me the focus of the image is the middle leaf holding the largest amount of water, but due to the limitations of your lens the background is not as blurred as it should be, so it's taking away from the image, I want to look at the red vines, since this is the case you need to work on different angles etc. to make it stand out better.

Are you shooting jpg or raw?.. Really, don't be so caught up on colors, at least not while you're shooting... Shoot raw if you aren't already. Because if you are, really there is nothing you can adjust in camera to really affect the colors (in terms of pop) that's all done by editing. (I mean of course different lighting will affect colors slightly different)...

Work more on composition first, to me the focus of the image is the middle leaf holding the largest amount of water, but due to the limitations of your lens the background is not as blurred as it should be, so it's taking away from the image, I want to look at the red vines, since this is the case you need to work on different angles etc. to make it stand out better.

That shot was in jpg. I thought the default format was RAW but later that night I went and changed it to RAW.

I really appreciate the feedback and advice. I'm guessing a different lens aside from the kit lens will offer more of that blur (bokeh, right?). I was thinking of picking up the f1.8 50mm lens but not sure if that's what I should be going with or something else. I'll definitely work on different angles to get more out of the shot. Thanks!

How you like it ?

If you mean how do I like the camera, I love it. If you mean how did someone like the photo....Well...I hope they did for a first attempt lol!

Played around with an old SLR lens I found in my dads old camera bag. Added some post effects to make it feel even older lol :)

5834252317_7e6b847d57.jpg

mmm... by punklefish, on Flickr

5834255189_44f931ea21.jpg

cast your shadows by punklefish, on Flickr

5834258105_6ca66f7189.jpg

the... bronze lantern?... by punklefish, on Flickr

Also just got a shiny new red toy that I will be taking many pictures of when I get some new rims for it :D

Took this last night. Asked her if she wanted to go on a photo shoot for practice.

Lucky man!

Got this boy at the weekend. Damn these guys are quick! It's a little fuzzy, but that's cos he was twitching so much while he was eating!

f/5.6, 1/50, ISO200, 55mm

post-130223-0-20158100-1308121288.jpg

Played around with an old SLR lens I found in my dads old camera bag. Added some post effects to make it feel even older lol :)

First one looks good! - what lens was it?

Got this boy at the weekend. Damn these guys are quick! It's a little fuzzy, but that's cos he was twitching so much while he was eating!

Great photo, it is a LITTLE blurry, should have increased ISO to about 400 (but again, he was quick and I imagine you didn't have much time)... I've personally never got such a close-up of a squirrel, very well done. I love how his color really matches the surroundings.

Really, great image!

thats an awesome image of the squirrel!!!.. its a lil blurry but how did u get so close to it???

they dont let me get even 20feet near them :(

love how the color matches so it looks like its toned brown..

dDzrYl.jpg

I took like 50 of those but I wanted to see what the noise would look like at 3200 and this was the (slightly edited) result. I'll post more later.

Man...Doubt my kit lens can get floral shots as nice as yours :p. Love your pics.

I prefer the black and white personally. It seems to convey more innocence. Perhaps because it reminds me of clean programming such as Little Rascals and Leave it to Beaver.

guys im getting my 50mm 1.8F in a few hours :p :p im really excited~!!!!..

i wish i had it for the lunar eclipse :( my shot looks really blurry coz of the kit lens

guys im getting my 50mm 1.8F in a few hours :p :p im really excited~!!!!..

i wish i had it for the lunar eclipse :( my shot looks really blurry coz of the kit lens

I don't think that's what the problem is, mind sharing the Exif?

Exif?

and what i meant was that my kit lens isnt sharp @ 55mm.. even when fully focused. And this image the moon is slightly blurred becoz of the huge exposure time of 15seconds :)

and i calculated for it.

but still i have a composite here look at it..

i took these photos all myself.

and the camera was stationary not held.. but pictures werent so sharp ... first few the AF was able to focus on the moon. But as it got dimmer the focus was lost and as i was shooting other things to i had to go to MF and first focus it to something far away. like 200yards away there were few bright blubs i focused it on them.

heres that edit :)

post-285248-0-42924900-1308215115.jpg

as u can see the first moon image was with AF on the moon.. but its not crisp.. now im assuming its becoz at such distance lens maxes out and this is a 100% crop btw.

@ Bassem ur moon pic looks very very sharp.. what gear did u use? it seems like a 200mm shot.

Exif?

and what i meant was that my kit lens isnt sharp @ 55mm.. even when fully focused. And this image the moon is slightly blurred becoz of the huge exposure time of 15seconds :)

and i calculated for it.

but still i have a composite here look at it..

i took these photos all myself.

and the camera was stationary not held.. but pictures werent so sharp ... first few the AF was able to focus on the moon. But as it got dimmer the focus was lost and as i was shooting other things to i had to go to MF and first focus it to something far away. like 200yards away there were few bright blubs i focused it on them.

heres that edit :)

post-285248-0-42924900-1308215115.jpg

as u can see the first moon image was with AF on the moon.. but its not crisp.. now im assuming its becoz at such distance lens maxes out and this is a 100% crop btw.

@ Bassem ur moon pic looks very very sharp.. what gear did u use? it seems like a 200mm shot.

Yes, the 50mm f/1.8 is sharper but you won't see that much of a difference. Mine was shot at 250mm, then cropped. Plus, 15 seconds is definitely too long considering the moon is moving.

I'm using a crappy tele lens, the 55-250mm f/4-5.6. I set it to manual focus, turned on LiveView, zoomed in and focused. I tried different settings, from slow shutter speeds to bumping up the ISO. The one I posted was shot at 3200 (cropped, of course), the noise wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.