Neowin Digital Gallery - Yearly Edition 2011

Man...Doubt my kit lens can get floral shots as nice as yours :p. Love your pics.

I prefer the black and white personally. It seems to convey more innocence. Perhaps because it reminds me of clean programming such as Little Rascals and Leave it to Beaver.

Thanks for your compliment and input! It's greatly appreciated

Exif?

and what i meant was that my kit lens isnt sharp @ 55mm.. even when fully focused. And this image the moon is slightly blurred becoz of the huge exposure time of 15seconds :)

and i calculated for it..

15 seconds is way too long, 55mm isn't long enough to get a decent shot of the moon anyways, a 50mm f/1.8 may be sharper, but won't help much for moon shots (in comparison to what you could get with a tele-zoom)

Look at this shot I did a while back for example:

4150764237_e95bbef54b.jpg

Moon by Paulo Franco, on Flickr

Here is the EXIF:

Camera Nikon D90

Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)

Aperture f/11.0

Focal Length 300 mm

ISO Speed 100

Exposure Bias -8/3 EV

Flash No Flash

X-Resolution 240 dpi

Y-Resolution 240 dpi

Software Ver.1.00

Date and Time (Modified) 2009:12:01 17:35:42

Exposure Program Manual

So as you can see, I was at ISO 100, f/11 and still shot at 1/100th of a second; I wouldn't even consider going near one second for a shot of the moon

You can shoot the moon handheld w/ settings somewhere around... ISO 800 and F5.6 w/ VR.

Could definitely shoot it at more reasonable settings than that... if I increased my ISO from 100 to 400 then opened aperture from f/11 to f/7.1 my shutter speed would go fast enough to capture a shot of the moon by hand... I guess it all depends how bright the moon is as well?

going from ISO 100 to 400 allows me to effectively go from 1/100th of a second to 1/400th of a second, at 300mm on DX with VR that is reasonable, and that's with aperture still at f/11. If I bring that to f/7.1 gives me a little extra "cushion" room if you will.

haha :p thanks for the tips guys but the 15 second shot was the one where the moon wasnt visible to the naked eye. the FULL ECLIPSE SHOT.. all the others were faster like 1/80 shutter.. f8 iso at 400 or so

btw that moon shot u posed.. its yummy!!! the lines and all so sharp!..

plus its perfectly exposed.. not so bright not so dull.

here are 2 shots with my nifty fifty!.. :) the AF on this thing is noisy!. and the focus ring is aweful!! its like there are some small stones stuck inside the rim and it makes this scratching sound like its filled with dust particles.. other than that and the build quality the glass is alot better than the kit lens on a 550d.

The colors actually turn out a little more vibrant. . . Here are 2 shots.

first one is at f1.8 in a dark room .. love how i can shoot in dark now :)

the second is at f2.8 ... i was just testing the sharpest sharp of this lens.. and its amaizing!! for the price that is :)

also bought a tripod!..

post-285248-0-08028600-1308305454.jpg

post-285248-0-46507900-1308305472.jpg

btw post was just resizing the image and color balance.

and 2 problems i have with this lens ..

1 is the minimum focus distance is 1.5 feet. so i cant get very close to some subjects..

2 is that there is no IS in the lens and it makes a big big difference!!.. some shots at 1/20s or 1/30 have camera shake in it.. but with the IS lens even at 1/10 the shake is totally eliminated.

^Once again, the benefits of having IS in the body, I get stabilized images at f/1.4 with my 50/1.4.

I've always believed that all bodies should have in-body IS and some longer and 'premium' lenses should also have an override in-lens IS (especially long telezooms where in body IS is not as effective 400mm+), this way you get IS in all your lenses with something like 3 stops and premium lenses could have in lens IS which could provide the 4th stop.

yea inbody IS must be a real sweet thing to have in moments where you just cant be so still.

anyhow..

heres a nice shot of my mouse and illuminated keyboard in the back...

f1.8 made the keys look like small circles of light.. its called bokeh right?

post-285248-0-62192600-1308334533.jpg

I take MOAR photos!

5843563951_461c66d6b8_z.jpg

DSC_0500 by Paulo Franco, on Flickr

5844110236_70656be08b_z.jpg

DSC_0503 by Paulo Franco, on Flickr

5844110396_959b79dd84_z.jpg

DSC_0508 by Paulo Franco, on Flickr

heres a nice shot of my mouse and illuminated keyboard in the back...

f1.8 made the keys look like small circles of light.. its called bokeh right?

That is a nice shot, reminds me of a shot I took a while back of my mouse:

5232846699_cbde31b65a_z.jpg

Razer Abyssus by Paulo Franco, on Flickr

And yeah that's called bokeh... well not necessarily JUST the small circles of light, bokeh is the out of focus portion of the image, lights just become circles (for the most part) when out of focus... It all depends on your aperture, people have made there own apertures by putting things in front of a lens with a hole in the shape of a heart for example, so those out of focus lights will actually be hearts, not circles.

btw that moon shot u posed.. its yummy!!! the lines and all so sharp!..

plus its perfectly exposed.. not so bright not so dull.

Thanks man!

None. I think it's a sony-only thing.

Pentax does it as well, the nice thing is it even works with legacy lenses.

the flower shot is brilliant... love the blue flowers in the back. make a perfect compliment!.. i wish i see such pretty flowers here.

Haha thanks Zain, they were just some potted plants, i put the pots beside eachother so one from the yellow pot was in front of all the blue

where is this ?? is this ur place??

we live in a small house and im too scared to take my CAM to parks and all...

people here may take the wrong meaning and beat me if i try to take a snap of them :p

and im a shy person..

im planning to go some market place and take some shots with my 50mm.. open market place.. there is one here near but there is so much dust there im sure my 550d will suffer.

Cool action shot, though there is some ISO noise which is probably killable with Lightroom or any noise reduction tool.

actually alot of noise.. coz i took this with a little sunlight coming through the window.. my room is pretty dark otherwise.. and thank u :)

where is this ?? is this ur place??

we live in a small house and im too scared to take my CAM to parks and all...

people here may take the wrong meaning and beat me if i try to take a snap of them :p

and im a shy person..

im planning to go some market place and take some shots with my 50mm.. open market place.. there is one here near but there is so much dust there im sure my 550d will suffer.

Yeah most of the plant shots I get are from flowers around the house, however I have no problem going around with my camera. Welland is by no means a "good" city but I feel relatively safe out and about with my gear

who wants some coke??? gave it old and rusty look.

Good processing, nice idea!

Not sure if I posted these yet...

Baseball season finally over. *phew*

Some nice shots to finish the season!

Recent shot I took with my best friend.

Iso is a bit high but I like how it turned out.

Nice!