Activision won't change. The Call of Duty franchise will remain where it's been for the last few years, especially given Infinity Ward's current state. They'll beat that franchise in the ground soon enough.

Activision won't change. The Call of Duty franchise will remain where it's been for the last few years, especially given Infinity Ward's current state. They'll beat that franchise in the ground soon enough.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. I'm looking forward to the conclusion to the Modern Warfare trilogy (assuming it's a trilogy), but I get the feeling I'll be waiting for the franchise to quietly die in a few years. If Activision don't shake up their established formula for games then reappearing franchises such as Battlefield and even Medal of Honor have a good chance of stealing the limelight. Honestly, I'd love to see the franchise disappear after Modern Warfare 3 for a year or two, to allow another engine to be incorporated into the game. I'd love another World War II title at this point, and if it was made to a high grade I'd be ecstatic.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. I'm looking forward to the conclusion to the Modern Warfare trilogy (assuming it's a trilogy), but I get the feeling I'll be waiting for the franchise to quietly die in a few years. If Activision don't shake up their established formula for games then reappearing franchises such as Battlefield and even Medal of Honor have a good chance of stealing the limelight. Honestly, I'd love to see the franchise disappear after Modern Warfare 3 for a year or two, to allow another engine to be incorporated into the game. I'd love another World War II title at this point, and if it was made to a high grade I'd be ecstatic.

Won't happen.

At this point, I'm not even sure Modern Warfare will end up being a trilogy. Activision is trying its hardest to squeeze every last cent out of the franchise, and the Modern Warfare games are where the series have excelled. The original really put the franchise on the map, and the sequel sold like hotcakes and cemented the Call of Duty brand's status. I honestly think (and I've been saying this for a while) that it will soon go the way of Guitar Hero.

And I'm not just bringing up Infinity Ward's current state in regards to the Modern Warfare aspect of the franchise. They were the ones that developed the technology behind the engine (or at least refined it from its original roots), and they also at least attempted to push the gameplay. I don't think you'll see Treyarch develop a new engine, and there's no denying Infinity Ward isn't what it once was in terms of experience. So the current engine may be here to stay for quite a while.

I'm not too upset about it, though. Modern Warfare was amazing, but it's been downhill from there. I do quite like Black Ops (especially what it did with the story telling), but otherwise, it's the same 'ol, same 'ol. I think Activision needs a swift kick in the pants in order to get their leadership to start pushing for original games and ideas, much like EA has recently done.

I was afraid we wouldn't see any new footage in the 12-minute gameplay trailer. Regardless, it still looks good. I've said this before but the Call of Duty franchise won't stand a chance on the PC. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for consoles.

I was afraid we wouldn't see any new footage in the 12-minute gameplay trailer. Regardless, it still looks good. I've said this before but the Call of Duty franchise won't stand a chance on the PC. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for consoles.

Well the clips we've seen, but they are the full extended versions so there is some new stuff we haven't seen yet (unless you've been to trade shows etc and have seen it already heh).

Frankly, if Battlefield 3 turns out as good as it looks so far, Activision will never be able to top it since they've pretty much ruined the Call of Duty franchise already. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the CoD games for what they are. But as is the usual case, leave it to the Battlefield franchise to do something new or innovate in a previously unheard of way (in this case, the engine perhaps?) etc.

Wrong.

Single GTX 580:

Ahh, it's not completely insane then. :) I dread to think how low I'll have to set the graphics settings when playing with my PC and its lowly 5770. :p Actually, I bet the CPU and the RAM are the bottlenecks in my system (got a Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5GHz and just 2GB DDR2 800 RAM). I'll be happy when I've got the money for my new build, which, prohibiting any ridiculous spending, like the upcoming Easter sales, and any future Steam sales, I'll have the money for all the parts about a month or two before BF3 is released. :)

It does indeed. The next Call of Duty game won't stand a chance on the PC. More from the same source:

gogogo.jpg

notbuilttolast.jpg

Those graphics look insane. I can't wait. I hope my GTX 570 can handle that.

The short trailer showed as a commercial during Family Guy today... EA's going all out hyping this sucker.

I saw that too. First TV spot ive seen for it!

Saw an ad yesterday in between the football. It seems crazy to advertise a game with no release date but I guess EA has a ton of money and I can't think of any FPS games coming out in the near future that are advertising now.

I really hope that this is a good game and it replaces Call of Duty which is becoming very old very fast. For the good of the gaming industry which in the last few years has been a one horse race.

I just really hope this isn't going to be a polished turd.

I mean sure, the graphics are amazing and all, but underneath will it still have the same crappy netcoding as Bad Co.2 as they don't seem to talk about looking into the kind of stuff.

I just really hope this isn't going to be a polished turd.

I mean sure, the graphics are amazing and all, but underneath will it still have the same crappy netcoding as Bad Co.2 as they don't seem to talk about looking into the kind of stuff.

DICE isn't stupid -- I'm sure they're looking into it. Whether they fix it completely remains to be seen, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't improved.

I'm mainly hoping it doesn't have the same bug problems Medal of Honor did. Or the same unbalanced multiplayer gameplay.

I'll just say this.. this game should be perfect.. This is EAs killer.. the main cow.. the last hope to fight back against Activision.. after the failure of Medal of Honor in terms of sale and overall numbers in the end, you can see that EA is going all out for BF3. This is it.. they don't have anything if this fails.

They've given DICE access to everything.. take the best technology from their sports games, gave them 6 years to build an engine that will be worth it, tried off-franchises like Bad Company, Medal of Honor.. but BF3 is the grandaddy. it's their main hammer..

They don't have space for screwing this up..so I believe it will launch great even though DICE does have a bad rep when it comes to net code with every major release of BF.. and I'm talking BF1942, BF2, Bad Company...

At least one thing is certain.. BF3 WILL get PC back into the gaming spotlight.. it has a chance to singlehandedly turn the spotlight back to PC gaming being the primary platform and then downscale to consoles if EA makes a bucketload of money.

Yeah, it definitely has the potential to revitalize PC gaming. I think it's safe to say that EA and DICE are aware that this is their last chance to dethrone the Call of Duty franchise. The way I see it, I think they'll easily dominate the PC platform.

I feel like it?s way too early to get hyped for the game, not only you'll feel sad if some part doesn't work properly. But you'll have to wait 7 months in anticipation of the release; I think it?s just too brutal.

I feel like it?s way too early to get hyped for the game, not only you'll feel sad if some part doesn't work properly. But you'll have to wait 7 months in anticipation of the release; I think it?s just too brutal.
Agreed. The more you hype over it, the more likely it won't meet your expectations. It's ages away yet. Once they start releasing MP footage (if they do...) then I might get all hyped, but until then I'm keeping a lid on it.

Huh!!!!! my GTX 460 should able to run it otherwise I will through away it. What a level of details and realism, lightening and weapon sounds.......... COD RIP......