Apple fanboy?

Apple fanboys are the ones who tell you the reason they think Apple products are the best in the world is because "it just works," "it doesn't crash," "the same people build the hardware and software" or other lines directly from Apple's marketing. These are usually the same people who buy a Mac solely because of the "cool factor," and probably don't know a single thing about the OS on a technical level.

And the worst lie :"hardware quality".

At least ,when I talk about Apple "hardware quality", I'm referring to Apple's use of materials like Aluminium and glass for their products instead of plastic like almost everyone else.

I'm at the point in my life where I don't buy stuff because it's the cheapest. I'm more than happy to spend a little extra to buy a $1000 Macbook Air that is sleek and made from aluminum as oppossed to a $300 netbook.

Look at the top end Dells or Sony machines. They cost about the same as a Macbook with similiar guts.

Hell, every Mac I've owned I've installed bootcamp and only use Windows on it.

It seems to me that a hater is somebody who has a differing but negative and a fanboy is one that has a differing but positive opinion when it comes to the item of discussion. In terms of the mac it often gets formed that fanboys are anybody that's owned an Apple product longer than the commenter.

Depending on how the comment is formed it's usually one of two logical fallacies:

• Ad-hominem "This guy is an automaton, too stupid to <agree with me>"
  • Poisoning the well: "This guy like X therefore we can't trust his comments about X or Y" is the implied message.

I've noticed that it's pretty rare to see a worthwhile comment come from people who use the phrase, it's a tacit admission that they can't come up with a compelling argument.

Fanboyism may be rampant when it comes to computers, and neowin have by far the largest collection of fanboys I have ever seen, but it's a whole different ballgame if you are a musician, kids get all bent out of shape and personal if you don't follow current trends and buy the gear they think you should buy, they even go as far as to make threats just because you didn't buy a line6 or a mesa or as schecter, it's crazy.

Apple fanboys are the ones who tell you the reason they think Apple products are the best in the world is because "it just works," "it doesn't crash," "the same people build the hardware and software" or other lines directly from Apple's marketing. These are usually the same people who buy a Mac solely because of the "cool factor," and probably don't know a single thing about the OS on a technical level.

The only ones that I see spouting those comments are the trolls that comment on any negative Apple news post. :laugh: So far, from what I've seen, the Apple users on this board seem to be pretty level headed. I don't know any person that owns only Apple devices claim them to be perfect. It's just a preference, more often than not. Other times, they fit a need that others don't have.

Fanboyism may be rampant when it comes to computers, and neowin have by far the largest collection of fanboys I have ever seen, but it's a whole different ballgame if you are a musician, kids get all bent out of shape and personal if you don't follow current trends and buy the gear they think you should buy, they even go as far as to make threats just because you didn't buy a line6 or a mesa or as schecter, it's crazy.

Well, I'm a guitarist and I have a 1989 Les Paul and a 1988 Silver Jubilee Marshall tube amp ... I've learned to live with the fact that I'm uncool because of it ... that said, I know I have better sound than they do :D haha

Unless you mean the hardware like the motherboard, cpu, etc, then that one is pretty much true. Apple is typically a notch above in build quality. My nearly 5 year old MacBook still looks and feels brand new, which is more than I can say about most laptops I've used.

Why is it that when you defend an Apple product, you're labelled a fanboy?! I hate it. It annoys me. I have two Apple products, and I am 100% happy with them. What, so I can't find any real flaws in the way I use them, so I'm a fanboy?

I don't get it!!!! Anyone else get irked this much about it? LOL!

You get labeled a fanboy when you spew ridiculous factitious bull**** from about apple products.

You get labeled a fanboy when you spew ridiculous factitious bull**** from about apple products.

You tend to get labelled a fanboy for a lot less than that actually.

Because of internet tech forums (Neowin included) I have learned a few things

- console gaming is dead. PC gaming or GTFO

- more people use Xoom and other Android tablets (that aren't out yet) than the iPad

- All mac users are ignorant

- Quantifying data and specs far outweigh overall user experience

- People put more thought and research about buying a computer or gadget ($1000 or less) than they do purchasing a car ($15,000 or more)

• Like 2

- more people use Xoom and other Android tablets (that aren't out yet) than the iPad

- Quantifying data and specs far outweigh user experience

- People put more thought and research about buying a computer or gadget ($1000 or less) than they do purchasing a car ($15,000 or more)

:laugh: Too true. All this and that Google knows what color your underwear is when you use Chrome.

Why is it that when you defend an Apple product, you're labelled a fanboy?! I hate it. It annoys me. I have two Apple products, and I am 100% happy with them. What, so I can't find any real flaws in the way I use them, so I'm a fanboy?

I don't get it!!!! Anyone else get irked this much about it? LOL!

You will be labeled as a fanboy by an apple's hateboy :shifty:

Cause every time I see an idiot using something made by Apple people they always look like the people in MacHeads. Basically most people that defend Apple don't know anything about the product there using, and very little technical knowledge and they simply defend Apple products based on the brand name alone. This drives a lot of people crazy personally I find it funny that people like to buy overpriced hardware for a OS that isn't really going anywhere :p.

Cause every time I see an idiot using something made by Apple people they always look like the people in MacHeads. Basically most people that defend Apple don't know anything about the product there using, and very little technical knowledge and they simply defend Apple products based on the brand name alone. This drives a lot of people crazy personally I find it funny that people like to buy overpriced hardware for a OS that isn't really going anywhere :p.

I've owned 3 iPhones and they still feel like brand new, unlike any other phone brand i've bought, build quality alone is a reason enough for me to pay, but I can't say the same for other products...

Also on the idiots thing... It takes one, to know one ;)

- Quantifying data and specs far outweigh overall user experience

case in point :p

Your reply here is as ignorant as people who don't know about their OS or hardware. Why do end users have to know anything about the product they're using? Why can't they just enjoy the experience of using it? I don't attack people for using Android phones, yet if I wanted to, I could call them 'idiots' too. Also ... I'm still confused when people say 'overpriced' about Apple (or some other well known brands), just because they're not cheap as crap quality like a lot of junk out there. Would you rather own an Acer laptop than a Macbook? No. I don't care who you are, you'd rather have the Macbook. Can you afford the Macbook? Maybe not. And that is where the overpriced thing comes from. Apple products are expensive compared to some, but like someone else mentioned... Apple use glass and aluminium where others use plastics. Sorry, but the quality speaks for itself. This can also be said of other companies who put effort into making their products higher quality. Not only Apple. I can totally relate to people using what they like... but attacking because of something someone prefers is ludicrous. And your post is insulting to every single Apple product owner here.

For the record ...

I have an iMac, an iPhone, three Windows 7 PC's and all three major games consoles. I do not class myself as brand loyal. I just like what I like.

It's funny because as I read threads like these (and other tech forums) it seems as if apple users or "defenders" are always on the defense, while PC/Android users are generally on the offense. I don't even see Linux users attack apple as much as PC/Android.

I remember over 10 years ago (before the ipod was introduced) apple was still considered the "alternative" brand, usually reserved for artists, musicians, and film makers. There were more offensive statements made by apple users back then, and now it really seems like the roles are completely reversed.

The only ones that I see spouting those comments are the trolls that comment on any negative Apple news post. :laugh:

What's funny is that the other anti-Apple trolls around here then point to those comments as if they came from actual Apple supporters. It ends up being a vicious cycle.

I've owned 3 iPhones and they still feel like brand new, unlike any other phone brand i've bought, build quality alone is a reason enough for me to pay, but I can't say the same for other products...

Also on the idiots thing... It takes one, to know one ;)

I never really got the point of people having a smart phone I bought a WP7 phone simply because I wanted to develop software for it, but there really isn't a reason to have one in the first place. On topic the only thing thats really grown as far as the iphone is the hardware and the design. The hardware Apple can't take credit for since thats the IHV's responsibility for the most part, and as far as the design I guess you give Apple credit for that but in terms of iOS/snow leopard/Lion there really isnt any true innovation in the updates since there initial releases. Even though Apple oversees production and gives whatever input it gives to the IHV's, Apple really isn't a innovator.

Oh and I would agree but atleast I don't have to spend a arm and leg for the tech I have in my house :), and everything I have can run Crysis 2 for half the price anyone using a Mac has to pay.

No. I don't care who you are, you'd rather have the Macbook.

No I wouldn't, if the Accer laptop had good specs for the price and I could buy a warranty why would I want to buy a macbook with the same hardware for twice the price?

And I'm not brand loyal I usually buy off brand stuff, I just don't buy something thats way overpriced :).

glass and aluminium where others use plastics

Again Apple products look pretty thats why people like them, but I buy my stuff based on how they will operate.

I remember over 10 years ago (before the ipod was introduced) apple was still considered the "alternative" brand, usually reserved for artists, musicians, and film makers. There were more offensive statements made by apple users back then, and now it really seems like the roles are completely reversed.

Go back a little farther and you would see all of the PC crowd attacking Macs and Amigas for being nothing but "game machines", yet today Macs and Linux (a spiritual descendent of the Amiga, in a way) are attacked by the PC crowd because of their LACK of games!!! :blink:

I never really got the point of people having a smart phone I bought a WP7 phone simply because I wanted to develop software for it, but there really isn't a reason to have one in the first place. On topic the only thing thats really grown as far as the iphone is the hardware and the design. The hardware Apple can't take credit for since thats the IHV's responsibility for the most part, and as far as the design I guess you give Apple credit for that but in terms of iOS/snow leopard/Lion there really isnt any true innovation in the updates since there initial releases. Even though Apple oversees production and gives whatever input it gives to the IHV's, Apple really isn't a innovator.

Oh and I would agree but atleast I don't have to spend a arm and leg for the tech I have in my house :), and everything I have can run Crysis 2 for half the price anyone using a Mac has to pay.

No I wouldn't, if the Accer laptop had good specs for the price and I could buy a warranty why would I want to buy a macbook with the same hardware for twice the price?

And I'm not brand loyal I usually buy off brand stuff.

I completely agree...

Though If I could find an Acer laptop with the same build quality as apple products, i'd buy teh acer over any other plastic garbage. Though Like I said in my previous posts page 1. The reason why i stick with apple is because there isn't any other phone in the market that rivals the iphone soundquality yet, now, that probably isn't innovation, but it gets the job done adequately, yet. As soon as there's an android phone that offers top notch sound quality, it's bye bye iPhone :p

I have said for quite a while for every fanboy, there is a hateboy. Hateboy's brand anybody saying anything positive as fanboy's, and fanboy's brand anybody saying anything negative as hateboy's. They're both the same problem, they have too much passion for an inanimate object or corporation... that just seems weird to me.

Those in the middle, let's call them "normboy's" are branded both and have both sides constantly bickering at them.... it gets incredibly annoying.

+1

I'd never buy a computer for gaming anyway, so this doesn't matter to me. I use my iMac for music and graphics work (I am a video games artist by trade) ... I have games consoles for games. I always hated computer gaming. Maybe it's because I need to get away from the screen to play games or I feel I'm still at work! haha.

You're right of course. But this again boils down to needs and wants, and I don't need to play games on a PC, and I want a single, ultra silent 27 inch screen in front of me, that no PC can match. Not yet anyway. I hear what you're saying though, as I am open and understanding of everyone's needs as an owner of tech. I just hate people bashing people for the things they want.

Btw, I hate genuine fanboys who can't see past the end of their own opinions. I have all three games consoles, yet I play my PS3 the most, out of choice. I get a lot of s**t from ignorant Xbox360 guys saying I'm wrong. But ... how can I be when I've got all three and have made my own informed decision about playing? (There's not an FPS - as that's the only games I enjoy - on the Xbox I haven't bought and tried so my decision is very informed).

It's just a never ending thing. I was around in the Master System Vs NES and Mega Drive Vs SNES days (and far before that too with the C=64 vs Spectrum etc) and the arguments and the fanboy comments have always been there, maybe just in different guises! lol

And I'm not brand loyal I usually buy off brand stuff, I just don't buy something thats way overpriced :).

Again Apple products look pretty thats why people like them, but I buy my stuff based on how they will operate.

Acer make cheap ass crap. I know, I own one and it's not my first ... ;) Nasty plastic crap. Terrible screen quality. Creaky noises. Nasty quality. Buy one at your own risk! haha. The Macbook will do two things ... 1) give you a beautiful comfortable machine to work with ... and 2) give you a lot back on resale later on ... You'll have to pay people to take the Acer off your hands. I was talking about if you had the money to spend and weren't too bothered. Yes, the Macbook is more expensive, but to people who have purchased one, you will find that most of them will agree it was worth it. Like I say, sell it on ebay 3 years later and you'll probably get back the cost of a new Acer on it. Resale is great on Apple stuff.

People don't buy Apple products just because they're pretty. This is proof you have no idea what it's like to work with a Mac. And I can't believe for a second that you do, even if you counter that and say you do. Because you just spoke very ignorantly. It seems to me you're happy to insult Apple owners by saying they're idiots or small minded, and to me that just proves you need to leave this thread. It's not a competition, but it is a discussion where you need to back up your statements with a foundation before insulting people.