Apple fanboy?

I'd never buy a computer for gaming anyway, so this doesn't matter to me. I use my iMac for music and graphics work (I am a video games artist by trade) ... I have games consoles for games. I always hated computer gaming. Maybe it's because I need to get away from the screen to play games or I feel I'm still at work! haha.

You're right of course. But this again boils down to needs and wants, and I don't need to play games on a PC, and I want a single, ultra silent 27 inch screen in front of me, that no PC can match. Not yet anyway. I hear what you're saying though, as I am open and understanding of everyone's needs as an owner of tech. I just hate people bashing people for the things they want.

Btw, I hate genuine fanboys who can't see past the end of their own opinions. I have all three games consoles, yet I play my PS3 the most, out of choice. I get a lot of s**t from ignorant Xbox360 guys saying I'm wrong. But ... how can I be when I've got all three and have made my own informed decision about playing? (There's not an FPS - as that's the only games I enjoy - on the Xbox I haven't bought and tried so my decision is very informed).

It's just a never ending thing. I was around in the Master System Vs NES and Mega Drive Vs SNES days (and far before that too with the C=64 vs Spectrum etc) and the arguments and the fanboy comments have always been there, maybe just in different guises! lol

I'm a video game programmer by trade and I always have this argument with artists at whatever studio I'm working at and it always ends with me downing a bottle of excedrin : ). I would agree with you there is a lot of "my stuff is better than yours" and there are a lot of idiots on the PC end arguing the same thing, but hardware and specs wise Apple products give less for the money for twice the price for a fancy looking chasse. Artists that either use Maya or Photoshop have a reason to use a Mac which is fine but for a end-user that just uses Office and browsing the internet online a Mac is way overpriced for the adverge end user.

I'm a video game programmer by trade and I always have this argument with artists at whatever studio I'm working at and it always ends with me downing a bottle of excedrin : ). I would agree with you there is a lot of "my stuff is better than yours" and there are a lot of idiots on the PC end arguing the same thing, but hardware and specs wise Apple products give less for the money for twice the price for a fancy looking chasse. Artists that either use Maya or Photoshop have a reason to use a Mac which is fine but for a end-user that just uses Office and browsing the internet online a Mac is way overpriced for the adverge end user.

I didn't use the fact I'm an artist for one second in my argument. I just said I didn't play games on a computer, and that I just used it for music and work .... lol. This has nothing to do with it man :) Very few games companies use Mac as the system of choice. A few ... but not man. Most run Windows systems these days.

People don't buy Apple products just because they're pretty. This is proof you have no idea what it's like to work with a Mac.

Thats always the counter agruement by Mac users :). If you look at the first sentence all you talked about was the chasse of your Accer laptop which has nothing to do with the hardware of the Accer, and I have used a Mac I had to take home one of the studio mac laptops for like 4 months while I ported some of our internal utilities over to Mac, and I just felt so backwards to me.

I didn't use the fact I'm an artist for one second in my argument. I just said I didn't play games on a computer, and that I just used it for music and work .... lol. This has nothing to do with it man :) Very few games companies use Mac as the system of choice. A few ... but not man. Most run Windows systems these days.

I never said you did :), I just always find it interesting that most "Apple Fanboys" are usually Maya/Photoshop artists.

*shrug* It's like choosing an LCD, Plasma or LED TV. They all do the same ****, some do things better than others - but you need to pay a lot more.

You don't get Plasma fanboys. :p .. Or do you? >.>

Cause every time I see an idiot using something made by Apple people they always look like the people in MacHeads. Basically most people that defend Apple don't know anything about the product there using, and very little technical knowledge and they simply defend Apple products based on the brand name alone. This drives a lot of people crazy personally I find it funny that people like to buy overpriced hardware for a OS that isn't really going anywhere :p.

If we follow your logic, most people that use Windows don't know what product they are using and have little technical knowledge as well. It goes both ways.

Also, it seems you are the one who is in the dark about OS X, and even more now that they are adding iOS features. I don't doubt in the near feature iPads will be running it as well.

For me, its like comparing a BMW to a sup-ed up Kia.

Sure maybe the sup-ed up Kia is just as fast or faster and costs less, but at the end of the day, I'd much rather have my BMW.

The paint is shiny; the doors don't creak; the interior is better designed and laid out; and it has better resale value.

I had my Macbook Air (revision 1) for two years and it looked brand new. Not a single scratch. I was able to resell it for $500. I originally bought it for $1000.

I don't think you can find another laptop with that kind of resell value.

I really don't care what people say about me on the internet or in real life. I like what I like and if someone doesn't like it, tough.

I don't think you can find another laptop with that kind of resell value.

A lot of people overlook the resale value aspect when talking about the relative costs of Macs versus other brands of computers. If you buy a Mac for $1000 then later are able to resell it for $500, then the final cost to you for that computer was $500 (and to be honest, I'm surprised that you only got $500 for that one, I would have thought you would have easily gotten $600-800). Most other brands are lucky to get even 10% back on resale, and some computers you basically have to give away to get rid of them after a few years of use.

If we follow your logic, most people that use Windows don't know what product they are using and have little technical knowledge as well. It goes both ways.

Also, it seems you are the one who is in the dark about OS X, and even more now that they are adding iOS features. I don't doubt in the near feature iPads will be running it as well.

Very true most people that use PC's are idiots when I worked as a technician in high school for the school district I had a teacher once that put a coffee cup in the cd-drive and filed a help desk ticket asking why the damn cd drive wouldn't close :p. But that goes back to my original point most people that use computers are generally idiots, but they didn't have to spend a arm and leg for a computer : ).

A lot of people overlook the resale value aspect when talking about the relative costs of Macs versus other brands of computers. If you buy a Mac for $1000 then later are able to resell it for $500, then the final cost to you for that computer was $500 (and to be honest, I'm surprised that you only got $500 for that one, I would have thought you would have easily gotten $600-800). Most other brands are lucky to get even 10% back on resale, and some computers you basically have to give away to get rid of them after a few years of use.

Thats if you can find someone to buy it off of you for that price, and if there aren't any scratches or damage on the chasse.

Thats always the counter agruement by Mac users :). If you look at the first sentence all you talked about was the chasse of your Accer laptop which has nothing to do with the hardware of the Accer, and I have used a Mac I had to take home one of the studio mac laptops for like 4 months while I ported some of our internal utilities over to Mac, and I just felt so backwards to me.

I never said you did :), I just always find it interesting that most "Apple Fanboys" are usually Maya/Photoshop artists.

You're an argumentative little boy aren't you? :p

You can clearly see I am talking about the quality of the build. Not how pretty it is. Yes, the way it looks is a consideration. Even with both cars sharing the same engine, would you rather have a Ford Mondeo body on it or an Aston Martin DB9 body on it? But actually, I was, and this is obvious, talking about the quality of the machine's build. Cheap plastic scratches, dulls, and can crack easily. An aluminium body is FAR higher grade ... and is far more solid too. The screen on an Acer is about quality too ... and the Macbook destroys it, not only for solidity, but for colour vibrancy etc too. So yes, these things are hugely important.

I think we should just learn to get along. Sure there are nuts who hang on every word that a corporation speaks, but they are few and far in between. Most people are not that extreme.

I'd LOVE to see a discussion about PC consumers vs Apple consumers with only people that work in customer service discussing it

Actually with any this product vs that product discussion

Why is it that when you defend an Apple product, you're labelled a fanboy?! I hate it. It annoys me. I have two Apple products, and I am 100% happy with them. What, so I can't find any real flaws in the way I use them, so I'm a fanboy?

I don't get it!!!! Anyone else get irked this much about it? LOL!

Oh great, another fanboy pretending not to be a fanboy. /joke

Very true most people that use PC's are idiots when I worked as a technician in high school for the school district I had a teacher once that put a coffee cup in the cd-drive and filed a help desk ticket asking why the damn cd drive wouldn't close :p. But that goes back to my original point most people that use computers are generally idiots, but they didn't have to spend a arm and leg for a computer : ).

Thats if you can find someone to buy it off of you for that price, and if there aren't any scratches or damage on the chasse.

1. I find that Macbooks don't really pick up scratches unless you drop them onto a hard surface. Assuming you don't drop your laptop, the aluminium will ensure that everyday bumps don't leave a mark. For example, my Macbook Air looked literally brand new--I wish I could find my Craigslist pictures just to prove how prestine it looked after 2 years--but my little brother's Macbook Pro has a pretty decent size dent in it from when he dropped it on concrete.

BTW, my Dell looks like crap after less than a year. The paint on the plastic where my hands rest has rubbed away.

2. I didn't really have to try to find someone to buy it off me. I just went on Craigslist and within a day, I had 7 or 8 emails asking about it and I sold it 2 days later. I'm sure that wasn't a fluke. The market for used Macs is pretty robust.

You're an argumentative little boy aren't you? :p

You can clearly see I am talking about the quality of the build. Not how pretty it is. Yes, the way it looks is a consideration. Even with both cars sharing the same engine, would you rather have a Ford Mondeo body on it or an Aston Martin DB9 body on it? But actually, I was, and this is obvious, talking about the quality of the machine's build. Cheap plastic scratches, dulls, and can crack easily. An aluminium body is FAR higher grade ... and is far more solid too. The screen on an Acer is about quality too ... and the Macbook destroys it, not only for solidity, but for colour vibrancy etc too. So yes, these things are hugely important.

Thats a byproduct of having been in the Marine Corp :).

Honestly I would buy the Ford Mondeo body on it. I'm the type of person that looks under the hood and buys based on whats inside rather than whats on the outside(picked that up from my grandpa's depression stories :p). For example my boyfriend works at a sun glasses place selling sun glasses, the company that makes his sunglasses is the SAME EXACT company in China that makes Dolce and gabbana, and all the other $400 sunglasses but they sell frames(exact same quaility, exact same parts) without the logo for $12.

All the parts come from China so there are all assembled the same way, I personally don't care if my computer gets scratched, damaged, w.e, and most flatscreens that come on laptops are all the same anyway(its like arguing LED vs LCD) with a Mac your paying more for the brand name and a nicer chasse, and I personally don't think thats worth the huge price difference :).

1. I find that Macbooks don't really pick up scratches unless you drop them onto a hard surface. Assuming you don't drop your laptop, the aluminium will ensure that everyday bumps don't leave a mark. For example, my Macbook Air looked literally brand new--I wish I could find my Craigslist pictures just to prove how prestine it looked after 2 years--but my little brother's Macbook Pro has a pretty decent size dent in it from when he dropped it on concrete.

BTW, my Dell looks like crap after less than a year. The paint on the plastic where my hands rest has rubbed away.

2. I didn't really have to try to find someone to buy it off me. I just went on Craigslist and within a day, I had 7 or 8 emails asking about it and I sold it 2 days later. I'm sure that wasn't a fluke. The market for used Macs is pretty robust.

I haven't seen one argument about hardware yet or anything related to the parts "under the hood" its all about the chasse which goes back to my original point...consumers that like Mac's like stuff thats "pretty and shinny" rather than powerful and robust.

If there is one thing I hate the most, it's being labeled "lame" (putting it kindly) for not owning an iPhone, iPod, or iPad. Especially, an iPad, cause we ALL know iPads will replace all of our PCs in the future :rolleyes:

Thats a byproduct of having been in the Marine Corp :).

Honestly I would buy the Ford Mondeo body on it. I'm the type of person that looks under the hood and buys based on whats inside rather than whats on the outside(picked that up from my grandpa's depression stories :p). For example my boyfriend works at a sun glasses place selling sun glasses, the company that makes his sunglasses is the SAME EXACT company in China that makes Dolce and gabbana, and all the other $400 sunglasses but they sell frames(exact same quaility, exact same parts) without the logo for $12.

All the parts come from China so there are all assembled the same way, I personally don't care if my computer gets scratched, damaged, w.e, and most flatscreens that come on laptops are all the same anyway(its like arguing LED vs LCD) with a Mac your paying more for the brand name and a nicer chasse, and I personally don't think thats worth the huge price difference :).

I haven't seen one argument about hardware yet or anything related to the parts "under the hood" its all about the chasse which goes back to my original point...consumers that like Mac's like stuff thats "pretty and shinny" rather than powerful and robust.

Well, then your part in this argument is over. You have nothing more to say, since all you did was come in here, tell everyone that owned a mac they were idiots, and insist no matter what, you'll go for the ugly car/laptop, which I suspect is utter lies. But we'll leave it there :)

Erm ....

the discussion he's relating his post to here is how robust the body is .... do you not get that? Seriously man ... jeez.

Well, then your part in this argument is over. You have nothing more to say, since all you did was come in here, tell everyone that owned a mac they were idiots, and insist no matter what, you'll go for the ugly car/laptop, which I suspect is utter lies. But we'll leave it there :)

It's like buying a Aston Martin chasse with a 4 cylinder engine vs buying a Ford Taurus chasse with a V8 and noss for half the price of the car with the Aston Martin chasse it makes no sense to me : ). But as far as "Apple Fanboys" have you seen MacHeads? I watched it on Netflix once there where all these people lined out the door to buy the first ipod, and there was this fat guy with a LCD flashing screen on his belt that said "I'm a Apple fanboy" and the host asked him what he does for a living "Oh I sell comic books".

This is why most "Apple fanboys" are labeled sheep because they follow a man that tells them "This is better and we have the right to charge more because we say its better". So people spend more on the chasse of there devices rather than buying a more powerful device that squeaks when you open it up. Now most of the world uses PC's imagine if everyone followed Steve Ballmer like that I don't even want to think how bad the world would be :/. It's not even over exagerating to say Apple is turning into a cult and they have a lot of people mesmerized by something shinny rather than something innovative.

Erm ....

the discussion he's relating his post to here is how robust the body is .... do you not get that? Seriously man ... jeez.

I get it really I do its something shinier than the last version :p.

What Operating System do you use?

Windows 7/Unix(not Linux :/) and before you say "Oh look another Microsoft guy that loves everything made by Microsoft", don't get me started on Visual Studio 2010 the IDE lags so much I feel like tossing my box out the window :/, which is actually the reason why I'm posting on here so frequently.

When people are being more careful with money it surprises me how people can buy a computer with overpriced hardware. Lets put the chasse/OS aside for a second for both PC and Mac and than solely look at the parts, you can't say with a straight face that the parts warrant the price of the computer(since they share pretty much the exact same hparts as what you would find in a Accer laptop, just slightly changed maybe for Mac)

Just adding my 2 cents:

There seems to be a lot of Apple "haters" on Neowin lately, saying things like:

- Apple consumers will buy anything with an Apple logo on it

- Refusing to acknowledge anything good Apple has done

These are the people that annoy me because you can't discuss technology with them. I own an iPhone and an iMac, I also own a Windows laptop, used to use Ubuntu as my primary OS for about 4-5 years (pre Windows 7), often recommend Android based phones to friends/family don't want to pay the high price of the iPhone, etc - they label me an fanboy because I recognise that Apple has done some great things with integrating hardware and software with beautiful design, and because I chose the iPhone as my mobile phone because despite it's limitations, the positives outweigh the negatives for my personal uses.

Anyway, one thing that usually keeps them quiet is when you point out some of the things Apple have really done well/innovated with. The iPhone changed the mobile marketspace no matter what way you look at it - Android wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the iPhone, Nokia are still trying to adjust over 4 years later! Apple also exploited their MP3 market saturation brilliantly by creating iTunes when all the music execs were too greedy/blind to realise they needed to create an internet distribution model, now they are at the mercy of Apple to a certain extent. I could go on but I'm going off on a tangent.

Why is it that when you defend an Apple product, you're labelled a fanboy?! I hate it. It annoys me. I have two Apple products, and I am 100% happy with them. What, so I can't find any real flaws in the way I use them, so I'm a fanboy?

I don't get it!!!! Anyone else get irked this much about it? LOL!

There are so many companies out there, but when the majority heads towards just one company, it then becomes a cult. many people don't like belonging to a cult. The word "Cult" can be a negative term and this may be why people came up with the term "Apple Reallity distrotion". many people feel that being loyal to a spacific company can bring negative result to there needs. I beleive that it is good to not be loyal to any company. This will bring better results to the comsumer. Only be loyal to your partner and closest friends. :-)

Anyway, one thing that usually keeps them quiet is when you point out some of the things Apple have really done well/innovated with. The iPhone changed the mobile marketspace no matter what way you look at it - Android wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the iPhone, Nokia are still trying to adjust over 4 years later! Apple also exploited their MP3 market saturation brilliantly by creating iTunes when all the music execs were too greedy/blind to realise they needed to create an internet distribution model, now they are at the mercy of Apple to a certain extent. I could go on but I'm going off on a tangent.

Your right when Mac OSx first came I would agree it was way better than anything Microsoft had, but that was almost 9 years ago. When the iPod came out it was revolutionary( I never bought it cause I never needed it ), but that was almost 10 years ago. The iPhone came out almost 4 years ago yea it was revolutionary but my point is google and Microsoft have cought up the Andriod OS has grown a lot, and Windows Mobile has grown a lot in the short time 7 has been out. So that aside as of 3/8/2011(today) what good reason is there to buy anything made by Apple when the competition is cheaper and more powerful, besides the chasse?

iPod: October 23, 2001

Mac OSx 10.0 March 24, 2001

iPhone: June 29, 2007

Windows 7/Unix(not Linux :/) and before you say "Oh look another Microsoft guy that loves everything made by Microsoft", don't get me started on Visual Studio 2010 the IDE lags so much I feel like tossing my box out the window :/, which is actually the reason why I'm posting on here so frequently.

When people are being more careful with money it surprises me how people can buy a computer with overpriced hardware. Lets put the chasse/OS aside for a second for both PC and Mac and than solely look at the parts, you can't say with a straight face that the parts warrant the price of the computer(since they share pretty much the exact same hparts as what you would find in a Accer laptop, just slightly changed maybe for Mac)

You're right about the parts ... but I don't have a Macbook so it's not really an issue for me :)

I have a 27 inch iMac. Show me a 27 inch PC that has the silence of my iMac ... space is a massive concern. Also, MacOS is an OS you can't officially have on a PC. Sure you can hack one together, but that's hassle. The point is, I think you're simplifying the whole situation. It's not just a case of a Mac Vs a PC in terms of price and hardware. The overall package is what people pay for. My iMac is incredibly slick in every way, not just how it looks. That is why it's worth the money. Pretty sure someone put together a spec here on Neowin showing the difference in price with the exact same component types (albeit as a PC it had to have a box separate from the screen), and the price difference really wasn't that different.