Apple fanboy?

Just so you know i'm not making stuff up here:

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4-review-490p7.php

"Audio quality impresses

It's hardly a secret that all the previous iPhones had perfectly clean audio output with relatively low volume being their only problem. However Apple have obviously done the right thing and fixed that here, making the iPhone 4 one of the best music player among the mobile phones that we have seen. "

Look at the date of the article: 01 July 2010. a lot has changed in the mobile device world since than :).

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_hd7-review-542p6.php

"As you could expect things get a bit worse when you plug in a pair of headphones, but the HD7 still maintains a very good performance. As a matter of fact the degradation is so subtle that the device ranks higher up in this scenario, than in the previous."

Notice how frequency response drops? Frequency drop = SQ degradation.

You also forgot the first sentence in that section :).

The HTC HD7 did very well in our audio quality test.

Though I do agree on teh profit apple has.

Good you see the light :).

LOL, agreed, but i'm not talking about what they say, i'm talking about the performance :) AND if you check even the latest just released in 2011 optimus 2x, Nexus S, still aren't on par in frequency response... Man is it that hard for you to admit clearly the ipod "function" of the iPhone is unrivaled atm.

What happens is... you lose frequency, you hear less bass, less mids, less highs, less guitars, etc... I know what i'm talking about... I've tried the Samsung Galaxy S, iPhone 4, Samsung Wave, Optimus... and only till you try you can hear a difference, also your source is important if you're listening to lossy mp3's ( need at least vbr2 ) then you won't notice a difference. My creative X-Fi2 sounds similar to the iPhone 4, yet a bit colder(analytical), the iPhone 4 is warmer ( it is a consumer device after all )

LOL, agreed, but i'm not talking about what they say, i'm talking about the performance :) AND if you check even the latest just released in 2011 optimus 2x, Nexus S, still aren't on par in frequency response...

What happens is... you lose frequency, you hear less bass, less mids, less highs, less guitars, etc... I know what i'm talking about i've tried the Samsung Galaxy S, iPhone 4, Samsung Wave, Optimus... and only till you try you can hear a difference, also your source is important if you're listening to lossy mp3's ( need at least vbr2 ) then you won't notice a difference.

Performance of the audio part of the device. I compared the two right now, I used my friends iPhone 4 played a high quality mp3 on both phones and to be honest I can't tell the difference there might be one I'm not a sound tech so I can't say but I can say the audio performance between the two devices doesn't justify the $100 price difference :).

Performance of the audio part of the device. I compared the two right now, I used my friends iPhone 4 played a high quality mp3 on both phones and to be honest I can't tell the difference there might be one I'm not a sound tech so I can't say but I can say the audio performance between the two devices doesn't justify the $100 price difference :).

Using what headphones? And what is high quality mp3? VBR V0? 320kbps ? It's not about being a sound tech, it's about the details IN the music, like kick drum, guitar string vibration, sound stage/channel separation etc... i.e. listen carefully.

Using what headphones? And what is high quality mp3? VBR V0? 320kbps ? It's not about being a sound tech, it's about the details IN the music, like kick drum, guitar string vibration, etc...

It was a MP3 that was included on a Teisto DVD, also I ripped a CD to 320kbps, I used some DJ headphones my friend bought a couple months ago which he uses for his shows.

Btw off topic but here is a comparison between 320kbps and 120kbps MP3's http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/mp3-sound-quality-test-128-320/, there really isn't that big off a difference at least to me anyway :).

at work on a crappy computer with integrated onboard sound, but I will check that out back home :)

Though the majority of comments pretty much sum up my possible thoughts, anyone who pays attention to detail, will notice a difference.

I'm not talking about the iPhone 4, I'm talking about the iMacs if you clicked the link :p.

iMac profit for Apple(http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MTM3NDk0NjU), based on the info I posted in the above posts:

Low end iMac - Cost to consumer: $1200 cost to build $400 = $800 Apple profit.

High end iMac - Cost to consumer: $1999 cost to build $650 = $1,345 Apple profit.

And these prices are rounded up and are based on retail prices and don't include any special discounts/IHV/OEM prices so probably add $100-$200 on the profit Apple gets.

The iPhone parts similar to all phone manufacturers(including Andriod and WP7) don't cost more than $85 to make for a $500 phone but thats just the way the phone market is right now :), but I'm talking about desktop's/laptops.

Ha, well, if you read your quote, he was talking about the iPhone "L" shape motherboard.

Besides, your rough math is meaningless because it doesn't take into account overhead, labor, shipping, marketing, research and development...etc. If you honestly think that Apple makes $800 profit per low-end iMac, that is just...absurd. It may shock you to discover that having a massive glass building in the middle of Manhattan isn't free. :whistle:

I'd love to see you try to run a business with business accumen like this.

at work on a crappy computer with integrated onboard sound, but I will check that out back home :)

Though the majority of comments pretty much sum up my possible thoughts, anyone who pays attention to detail, will notice a difference.

As I said I'm a game programmer by trade(specifically on rendering/tools end) so I can promise you I do pay attention to detail(aliased edges on geometry bug the crap out of me) :), but it could be I lost some of my hearing when I was in the Marine Corp even though I can still eaves drop very damn well :). I know though when I show my boyfriend the difference between aliased edges and non-edges he just tells me to get over it.

I played the music from the previous page that I posted on 7.1 Onkyo speakers and I can't really tell the difference between 120kbps and 320kbps and no one else in the room could too. So that means the average user wouldn't benefit from the quality difference which goes back to my original point...macheads are sheep, and pay for overpriced hardware :).

Ha, well, if you read your quote, he was talking about the iPhone "L" shape motherboard.

Besides, your rough math is meaningless because it doesn't take into account overhead, labor, shipping, marketing, research and development...etc. If you honestly think that Apple makes $800 profit per low-end iMac, that is just...absurd. It may shock you to discover that having a massive glass building in the middle of Manhattan isn't free.

I'm not going to argue profit thats speculative but the hardware costs stand so my point is: since your getting $400 worth of hardware for $1200 or $650 worth of hardware for $1999 why pay that price if you can build it your self or get a prebuilt pc with better hardware for way less?

And don't think labor is expensive its all made in China :p.

Research Costs? It doesn't take too much research to put crappy parts in a computer.

Advertising? I doubt your a investor so why would you want to pay so much and contribute to there advertising costs.

Again all your guys are doing is justifying the sterotype "macheads are sheep" and will pay whatever price Apple sets for its products. Who cares how Apple spends its money or doesn't bottom line is Your paying more for less hardware and no one so far or will be able to argue against :).

As I said I'm a game programmer by trade(specifically on rendering/tools end) so I can promise you I do pay attention to detail(aliased edges on geometry bug the crap out of me) :), but it could be I lost some of my hearing when I was in the Marine Corp even though I can still eaves drop very damn well :). I know though when I show my boyfriend the difference between aliased edges and non-edges he just tells me to get over it.

I played the music from the previous page that I posted on 7.1 Onkyo speakers and I can't really tell the difference between 120kbps and 320kbps and no one else in the room could too. So that means the average user wouldn't benefit from the quality difference which goes back to my original point...macheads are sheep, and pay for overpriced hardware :).

I'm not going to argue profit thats speculative but the hardware costs stand so my point is: since your getting $400 worth of hardware for $1200 or $650 worth of hardware for $1999 why pay that price if you can build it your self or get a prebuilt pc with better hardware for way less?

Again all your guys are doing is justifying the sterotype "macheads are sheep" and will pay whatever price Apple sets for its products. And don't think labor is expensive its all made in China :p.

Did you know that the material costs for a pair of jeans is less than $1, but they sell it for sometimes $20+?!?! That's like 1900% profit! Anyone that doesn't wear jeans they sewed themselves is a SHEEP!

Did you know that heart surgeons charge thousands of dollars an hour, but you can just perform heart surgury on yourself for free? Anyone that gets heart surgury is a SHEEP!

Anyone that disagrees with me is also a SHEEP!

Any attempt to justify your choice makes you a SHEEP!

Low end iMac - Cost to consumer: $1200 cost to build $400 = $800 Apple profit.

High end iMac - Cost to consumer: $1999 cost to build $650 = $1,345 Apple profit.

And these prices are rounded up and are based on retail prices and don't include any special discounts/IHV/OEM prices so probably add $100-$200 on the profit Apple gets.

Wow. Did that thread become... yet... another... price war? :blink:

People who talk about any company?s profits are always laughable on the Net, as they forget to include a whole bunch of costs. I didn?t know I had to go to a university to know that... :laugh:

Besides, your rough math is meaningless because it doesn't take into account overhead, labor, shipping, marketing, research and development...etc. If you honestly think that Apple makes $800 profit per low-end iMac, that is just...absurd. It may shock you to discover that having a massive glass building in the middle of Manhattan isn't free. :whistle:

Amen. I swear you?re one of the only people in this thread that actually KNOWS what he?s talking about.

Did you ever think that maybe some people care about how something looks rather than just price?

"Oh you buy brand-name cola? SHEEP! SHEEP! SHEEP! SHEEP! I BUY KROGER BRAND COLA."

That goes back to my point because its shinny people buy it, and because its the "trend", hence the sheep comment :). All MacHeads are sheep all Apple has to do is design a newer shinier product and they will continue to be in business despite the lack of power in the device that you purchase.

I think I'm going to start my own business I'm going to sell knock off laptop cases that will make your PC laptop look as shinny as a MacBook pro...

Wow. Did that thread become... yet... another... price war?

People who talk about any company?s profits are always laughable on the Net, as they forget to include a whole bunch of costs. I didn?t know I had to go to a university to know that...

Its not a price war, even if you don't see the difference in terms of how much money goes into Apple's pocket, you do see how much hardware your getting and for the price it isn't much as I've said numerous times.

Amen. I swear you?re one of the only people in this thread that actually KNOWS what he?s talking about.

Looks like we got another sheep :).

That goes back to my point because its shinny people buy it, and because its the "trend", hence the sheep comment :). All MacHeads are sheep all Apple has to do is design a newer shinier product and they will continue to be in business despite the lack of power in the device that you purchase.

I think I'm going to start my own business I'm going to sell knock off laptop cases that will make your PC laptop look as shinny as a MacBook pro...

Define "Macheads".

Did you know that calling macheads a sheep also makes you a sheep? :rofl:

Kids or uninformed people buy things on looks and popularity. I dont know how many times I ask someone why they are buying something and 99.9 percent the answers are "because its cool" or "because so and so has one" and yes, "because it looks pretty". Then they cannot tell me what the product does or how to use it.

Like I tell everyone, research research research. Look at what the product does and look at the alternatives and make an educated decision. And yes, I give them my opinion but in the end, its their money so get what you want...just dont be stupid about it.

Did you know that calling macheads a sheep also makes you a sheep? :rofl:

No but it apparently makes me the "big bad wolf" :p.

Define "Macheads".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1379667/

Kids or uninformed people buy things on looks and popularity. I dont know how many times I ask someone why they are buying something and 99.9 percent the answers are "because its cool" or "because so and so has one" and yes, "because it looks pretty". Then they cannot tell me what the product does or how to use it.

Like I tell everyone, research research research. Look at what the product does and look at the alternatives and make an educated decision. And yes, I give them my opinion but in the end, its their money so get what you want...just dont be stupid about it.

Well said :)

[...]

Looks like we got another sheep :).

Looks like we?ve got someone that has NO idea how to run a business :)

I?m not saying they couldn?t lower the prices and still make a decent profit margin (probably a term you think you know, but in fact you don?t), I?m only saying that your ways of calculating things are way off. There is no way we can calculate their profit margin without actually knowing a thing about their direct and indirect costs (let me guess... two new terms for you here). Your calculations rely purely on the bills of material (oh, new one again?), which makes no sense whatsoever.

Your also forgetting warrenty/support, build yourself and you have at LEAST 6 people trying to blame somebody else. OEM's blaming MS, Ms blames OEM's

Guess what, Apple makes the OS AND assembles the computer, nobody to blame but them.

I had to get my MBP warrenty work about 3 times so far, first was within a week, Bad HDD, they didnt send me a new HDD or replace the HDD, they replaced the whole unit with a new one, got a refund on the remaining AppleCare, a new applecare on the new unit and it was a new unit as the ID/ Serial number of one that was assembled days before and shipped out of hong kong ( apple has 2 sets of SN's with starting mumbers diffrent, 1 for new another for refurbs.

Second the MB/ Video card fried after a year, called them up and in less then 10 min from dialing the support number i had a box enroute, and less then a week i had a replaced mobo in my MBP.

3rd was less then a year later with the DL-DVD, same less then 10 min and another box, replaced.

I work as a repair tech in a local computer rerpair shop, its difficult as crap to get HP/Dell/Toshiba/ect. to replace something as simple as a failed HDD, they require all kinds of loops to get it done, INCLUDING having their own diag test fail the drive. And that same diag i have personally seen on a regular basis say the HDD is good when i ran the test with the HDD out of the machine.

The only diffrenec is with IBM/Lenovo being almost equal, but you pay as much for an IBM/ Lenovo as you do for an Apple

AppleCare i will admit is the same as any other extended warrenty, but apple support at least for me offsets the cost hands down to apples favor in comparison to my experianes with IBMClones

Thats a nice profit for Apple.

And don't think labor is expensive its all made in China :p.

Research Costs? It doesn't take too much research to put crappy parts in a computer.

Advertising? I doubt your a investor so why would you want to pay so much and contribute to there advertising costs.

Again all your guys are doing is justifying the sterotype "macheads are sheep" and will pay whatever price Apple sets for its products. Who cares how Apple spends its money or doesn't bottom line is Your paying more for less hardware and no one so far or will be able to argue against :).

k now posting from on xfi card to my etymotic mc5 and altec lansing speakers and :

Thanks for submitting your answer. The correct answer is Clip #1.

You selected Clip# 1 ?Congratulations!

Clip #1 is encoded at 320kbps (23467 votes)

Clip #2 is encoded at 128kbps (26202 votes)

Dude... Bass is clearly a lot more present in clip #1 not a lot more, but more defined... come on! even the "tsh tsh" of teh drum plates ( sp? ) feels so much more crisp!

Looks like we?ve got someone that has NO idea how to run a business :)

I?m not saying they couldn?t lower the prices and still make a decent profit margin (probably a term you think you know, but in fact you don?t), I?m only saying that your ways of calculating things are way off. There is no way we can calculate their profit margin without actually knowing a thing about their direct and indirect costs (let me guess... two new terms for you here). Your calculations rely purely on the bills of material (oh, new one again?), which makes no sense whatsoever.

Actually I do know how to run a business and I would do the same way Steve Jobs does it. Hes doing everything right because he has so many people blinded to the truth :). Think of this way no PC manufacture I can think of makes there PC's $1200 higher than the cost of the hardware period.

Dude... Bass is clearly a lot more present in clip #1 not a lot more, but more defined... come on! even the "tsh tsh" of teh drum plates ( sp? ) feels so much more crisp!

I can't hear it doesn't mean its not there but when your out and your listening to your mp3 player and your walking down the street with car alarms going off, people screaming, etc are you going to notice the difference to the point where that single one feature is worth the $100 difference :p.

Actually I do know how to run a business and I would do the same way Steve Jobs does it. Hes doing everything right because he has so many people blinded to the truth :). Think of this way no PC manufacture I can think of makes there PC's $1200 higher than the cost of the hardware period.

OH RLLY? I triple dare that with Alien hardware :shifty:

Edit: On my previous comment, i'd like to add, it's not JUST kbps, it's soundstage, harmonic distortcion, intermodulation, noise, etc. Usually when frequency loss causes music to sound "flat"

You mean Dells shipped from Mars, i hear the factory is under the Alien Face

You mean Dells shipped from Mars, i hear the factory is under the Alien Face

Aw man, you couldn't let me have this? you had to say dell didn't you? :angry: :p

Lol, thats what they are anymore, they were seprate boutque before dell bought them.

Their price stayed the same though so same thing

Aw man, you couldn't let me have this? you had to say dell didn't you? :angry: :p

If your referring to Alienware:

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx

The Most Powerful 15" Gaming Laptop in the Universe

Featured Options:

Available with your choice of advanced NVIDIA and ATI Graphics including the NVIDIA 460M GTX GPU

Featuring the latest Mobile Intel processors including the Core? i7 940XM Quad Core Processor

Dimensions: (W)14.8" (D)12.2" (H)1.92"

Starting at $1,199

Remember the most expensive iMac was $1,999 which had a i5 processor, and the $1,200 iMac only had a i3 Processor. And the differences between the graphics card in both machines is huge. The iMac still comes with a low end d3d 10.1 card the 460m is a decent d3d 11 card.

GeForce GTX 460 has 4 times faster FPS versus Radeon HD 5830 in Microsoft DirectX 11 SDK subd11 tessellation test with maximum tessellation level set.

Remember that card is 4 times faster than the 5830(and thats in the tessellation pipeline alone) and the iMac only comes with the HD 47xx card, so imagine the difference :).