Meet the browser: Firefox Next

Tech Star

How can I get previous versions of a addon to work on the new FF5? I am trying to get stratiform 1.1 to work because the new version does not have the IE9 design for FF. :(

Brandon H

How can I get previous versions of a addon to work on the new FF5? I am trying to get stratiform 1.1 to work because the new version does not have the IE9 design for FF. :(

look up compatibility reporter

+trag3dy

^ the tests need to all be done on the same machine otherwise the numbers just aren't as accurate (differences in hardware and all that)

i believe it was stated on the previous page, or maybe the last page of the firefox 5 thread

one of the two, it shouldn't be too hard to find though since it was just stated recently

k, thanks, I shall dig.

bogas04

^ the tests need to all be done on the same machine otherwise the numbers just aren't as accurate (differences in hardware and all that)

FF5

post-293012-0-87927900-1308804668.png (independent of system but OS AFAIK)

Sub_Zero_Alchemist

Now that 5 is out, how long before we get a beta of 6?

July 5 is when Firefox 6 moves to the beta channel.... https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/

remixedcat

FF7 (22 June)

post-293012-0-48987700-1308803342.png

nice! and how are youtube and other HTML5 vids on 7?

also hows the memory/commit usage? show task manager screenshots... try to have around 20 some tabs open.... and do a lot on them...

(I don't wanna install it yet tho)

The_Decryptor

CPU usage for video playback depends on the computer, for me 1080p WebM video is only 1-2% CPU, while on somebody else's computer it might be 100%.

And the HTML5 test site isn't hardware dependant, it's based simply on what the browser can do.

Aaron Olive

My results, the nightly build performs better but by a small and probably unnoticeable margin.

472868316.PNG

bogas04

My results, the nightly build performs better but by a small and probably unnoticeable margin.

wait for PGO to re enable

Aaron Olive

wait for PGO to re enable

What is PGO, and enable what?

remixedcat

and why is everyone hell bent on turning FF into chrome... if they want chrome they should use chrome!

kilara1988

Anyone else had problems updating to today's nightly from the help?I had to manually download it.

Rafyelzz

472868316.PNG

How do you get it to look like this?

ViperAFK

Anyone else had problems updating to today's nightly from the help?I had to manually download it.

Same here with aurora.

EDIT: I can't even download it manually, I get a size mismatch.

Oz.

...worked fine after 3-4hours.

grayscale

The current nightly changes the background color of an inactive tab when there's a notification. (say, a new PM from facebook, or a new email). Or has it been there for a while now?

+trag3dy

The current nightly changes the background color of an inactive tab when there's a notification. (say, a new PM from facebook, or a new email). Or has it been there for a while now?

Hasn't it been like that since Firefox 4? I don't recall because I've been using the nightly for so long.

Abhinav Kumar

Hasn't it been like that since Firefox 4? I don't recall because I've been using the nightly for so long.

It's doing it since Firefox 4 but only for inactive App-tabs.

riceBox

Is it possible to disable the "Hide http" feature?

grayscale

There's an about:config entry to disable it. I read it from mozillazine. I will post it if I find it again.

+Frank B.

Is it possible to disable the "Hide http" feature?

Does it make such a big difference whether or not http:// is still shown?

For what it's worth: https:// is still shown in the address bar.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Mozilla sets out its four climate commitments
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has set out its climate commitments today as it aims to significantly reduce its emissions and mitigate what it can’t avoid. Things it plans to implement include switching its offices to renewable energy, reviewing its travel policies, exploring cloud optimisation, and developing toolkits “for product integrity and design principles.” It will share more details of its plans as it works them out.

The four commitments that the firm has pledged to follow include going carbon-neutral, significantly reducing its greenhouse gas footprint to meet or exceed the targets in the Paris Climate Agreement, it will lead openly by sharing materials, tools and methodologies so other firms can reduce their emissions in a similar way and it will look to develop products from a sustainability perspective and collaborate with others to “amplify” the impact.

Commenting on the firm’s climate change responsibilities, Mozilla Firefox CEO Mitchell Baker said:

Until now, the firm has been offsetting its emissions in order to be carbon-neutral but it knows that it’s better not to emit in the first place and this is what it wants to achieve in the coming years. It said that to bring down its emissions there will need to be a lot of change on the organisational and cultural level. Mozilla will provide training to staff and provide incentives to encourage employees to make changes.

In 2021, the firm said it will look to strengthen a remote culture and incentivise more sustainable set-ups, it’ll look ensure travel is only done when necessary, it wants to achieve zero waste in offices and co-working spaces and it wants to look at going paper-free.

• By zikalify
      Firefox 85 on Android will allow extension installs from AMO
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has announced that Firefox users on Android will be able to install browser extensions directly from addons.mozilla.org (AMO) starting with Firefox 85 which is due for release on January 25. The company said that allowing users to install extensions directly from AMO will help smooth out the installation process of add-ons.

Until now, Firefox users on Android could only install add-ons that had been vetted directly from the browser’s Add-ons Manager; the firm will likely keep this installation method around. By allowing installation from AMO, users will be able to follow links to an extensions AMO page which friends may send them or that they read about online and easily install the extension from there.

The new installation buttons that add compatibility for Firefox on Android will be added to the AMO website on Thursday during a scheduled site update that the firm conducts at regular intervals. If you’re using a pre-release version of Firefox 85 or above, you will be able to use these installation buttons from Thursday.

Firefox’s refreshed Android browser was rolled out to users on the stable channel back in August last year but despite the complete overhaul of Firefox on Android, stats show that Firefox is still struggling on mobile. In July, when the final version of the old mobile Firefox was released, Firefox had 0.48% of the mobile market share. As of December 2020, it had only climbed to 0.51%.

• By Copernic
      Firefox 84.0.2
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

Firefox 84.0.2 fixes:

Security fix Download: Firefox 84.0.2 for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 84.0.2 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 84.0.2 for MacOS | 126.0 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      Basilisk 2021.01.05
      by Razvan Serea

Basilisk is a free and Open Source XUL-based web browser created by the developers of the Pale Moon browser. It is based on the Goanna layout and rendering engine (a fork of Gecko) and builds on the Unified XUL Platform (UXP), which in turn is a fork of the Mozilla code base without Servo or Rust.

Basilisk as an application is primarily a vessel for development of the XUL platform it builds upon, and additionally a potential replacement for Firefox to retain the use of Firefox Extensions. It aims to retain useful technologies that its sibling Firefox has removed.

Requires Windows 7 or later. Windows XP or Windows Vista are not supported.

Main features:

Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web browsing. Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java, authentication plugins, etc.). Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions. Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode). Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet available. Support for ALSA on Linux. Support for WebAssembly (WASM). Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features. Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern ciphers, HSTS, etc. Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:

Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more accurate color space (non-premultiplied). Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated. Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232). Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56. Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing). Does not require walled-garden extension signing. Basilisk 2021.01.05 changelog:

Fixed the display of dates and times to honor what the user has set in their regional settings. Disabled the use of the legacy database format for stored passwords and certificates. Worked around crashes and run-time issues with module scripts. Moved the global user-agent override to the networking component. Please note that this may interfere with some "user agent spoofing" extensions. Fixed a website layout issue with table-styled elements potentially overlapping when placed inside a flexbox. Updated the list of prohibited ports the browser can use. Updated NSS to 3.59.1 Security issues fixed: CVE-2020-26978 and CVE-2020-35112. Unified XUL Platform Mozilla Security Patch Summary: 3 fixed, 16 not applicable. Download: Basilisk 2021.01.05 (32-bit) | Portable | ~50.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Basilisk 2021.01.05 (64-bit) | Portable
      View: Basilisk Website

• By Copernic
      Firefox 84.0.1
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

Firefox 84.0.1 fixes:

Fixed problems loading secure websites and crashes for users with certain third-party PKCS11 modules and smartcards installed (bug 1682881). Fixed slower than expected performance and flickering on Canvas elements for some Windows users (bug 1683116). Fixed a bug causing some Unity JS games to not load on Apple Silicon devices due to improper detection of the OS version (bug 1680516). Fixed crashes caused by various third-party antivirus software. Developer:

Developer Information Download: Firefox 84.0.1 for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 84.0.1 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 84.0.1 for MacOS | 126.0 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes