Meet the browser: Firefox Next

I'll open more tabs and see how it works.

They will shrink with the more you open. I got mine re-sized to 100 pixel width with some CSS code.

.tabbrowser-tab {
  max-width: 100px !important;
  min-width: 100px !important;
}

It sort of works. Have to do some fiddling with it.

does anyone notice a tearing effect when they scroll in the nightly???

I finally tried out both 7 and 8, and I have two minor issues that are stopping me from using one of them. They both relate to the extension TabGroups Manager. I added the extensions.checkCompatibility to about:config, and it tries to work with it, but it has a small bug that occurs when you create a new group. It creates the group AND makes a second new one next to it named noname. Any chance of fixing that? Also, TabGroups Manager keeps popping up saying my session can't restore properly, and then all the sites load, but not in their proper groups. If I could fix these issues, I'd probably use Firefox 7 or 8 as my main browser. It seems great to me! I did notice the improved text rendering in version 7 compared to 5. I like that. Any ideas? Also, what is the exact code for extensions.checkCompatibility for versions 7 and 8? You have to add it twice for each version, right? So it's extensions.checkCompatibility.7.0a, and then the same thing but with 7.0a2? Now I have a bunch of versions in about:config, and I see no way to delete them.

Please report that to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org !!!!

you may use the "nightly testing tools" addon to automate that and just delete the entries for versions you don't use....

Hint: right click the value>reset>and restart firefox to perform the deletion...

I finally tried out both 7 and 8, and I have two minor issues that are stopping me from using one of them. They both relate to the extension TabGroups Manager. I added the extensions.checkCompatibility to about:config, and it tries to work with it, but it has a small bug that occurs when you create a new group. It creates the group AND makes a second new one next to it named noname. Any chance of fixing that? Also, TabGroups Manager keeps popping up saying my session can't restore properly, and then all the sites load, but not in their proper groups. If I could fix these issues, I'd probably use Firefox 7 or 8 as my main browser. It seems great to me! I did notice the improved text rendering in version 7 compared to 5. I like that. Any ideas? Also, what is the exact code for extensions.checkCompatibility for versions 7 and 8? You have to add it twice for each version, right? So it's extensions.checkCompatibility.7.0a, and then the same thing but with 7.0a2? Now I have a bunch of versions in about:config, and I see no way to delete them.

right click of the entry u want to delete , click reset , if it was created by u (or some extension which is NOT in use now) , it would be deleted.

for correct boolean values , refer to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility

So, did I do it wrong then? Cause my extensions were working. That link says extensions.checkCompatibility.nightly for 7.0a1. That's also the same for 7.0a2 and 8.0a1?

So, did I do it wrong then? Cause my extensions were working. That link says extensions.checkCompatibility.nightly for 7.0a1. That's also the same for 7.0a2 and 8.0a1?

No.

extensions.checkCompatibility.nightly applies only for Nightly builds. 7.0a1 was a Nightly build. 7.0a2 is not; it's an Aurora build, and the correct value for it is extensions.checkCompatibility.7.0a.

No.

extensions.checkCompatibility.nightly applies only for Nightly builds. 7.0a1 was a Nightly build. 7.0a2 is not; it's an Aurora build, and the correct value for it is extensions.checkCompatibility.7.0a.

Fair enough. It's the same for 8.0a1 then? And you only need to add it once? extensions.checkCompatibility.8.0a

Fair enough. It's the same for 8.0a1 then? And you only need to add it once? extensions.checkCompatibility.8.0a

8.0a1 is a Nightly build. The correct value for it is extensions.checkCompatibility.nightly. That value always stays the same for Nightly builds, no matter what version Nightly is at.

• Like 2

The current Nightly builds are pretty broken on OS X Lion, a new memory allocator landed last night (same one that the Windows and Linux builds have used since 3.0), and it doesn't behave nicely with changes made in Lion (It hangs/crashes randomly, but within minutes of starting the build, it's already a top crash)

@mancode20 If you are Using the nightly build just use extensions.checkCompatibility.nightly set to false no matter what version is the nightly.And if you are using any other build aurora/beta just use the Add-on Compatibility Reporter Add-on which creates those entries for you.After a major version bump like from 7.0 to 8.0 it will take about 12-24 hours for the add-on to update and include the new version.

How is the drop-down arrow added next to the Back/Forward buttons?

it's a quite old bug, so the dropdown was still there when they took the screenshot. notice also the dropdown shadow which has ben removed.

No big surprise here, but 6.0 beta is officially out. It's got that new feature for highlighting the domain name. Kind of cool to have. List of other new features.

New in this release for Windows, Mac and Linux:

Add-ons Manager with Plugin Check: Check that your plugins are up-to-date directly from the Add-ons Manager

Improved Panorama Groups: Reduces browser startup time by only loading saved tab groups when you use Panorama

Improved Address Bar: Highlights the domain name of the website you?re visiting to make it easy to identify where you are online

Streamlined site identity block

The Scratchpad: Quickly build and test JavaScript snippets in the browser

Support for Web Sockets with a prefixed API

Moveable Web Console

New Web developer-specific menu

Window.matchMedia API

Support for server-sent events

No, that is not the change. It's a clickable area change, extending to the left edge of the screen. They haven't moved the actual button.

Thanks for correcting.

Have they disabled HA in the Aurora Channel?

My option is checked, but I'm not getting HA.

Did you get it when not on Aurora? (i.e. in Fx4/5/6)

Maybe you have an old video card(video card drivers) and it is blacklisted.My old HP with its integrated radeon x1250 video card doesn't get HA also because of that.Type about:support and at the bottom table what does it say about "Direct2D Enabled","DirectWrite Enabled" and "GPU Accelerated Windows" options?If "GPU Accelerated Windows" says 0/1 ..... it means your video card or drivers are too old and are blacklisted.

Works here. Check about:support and see if your driver is blacklisted or something.

And have you tried setting layers to forced in about:config?

Did you get it when not on Aurora? (i.e. in Fx4/5/6)

Yup, I do. Installed Pale Moon and HA is working just fine. Also beta and stable channles have HA. Not to mention IE 9.

Maybe you have an old video card(video card drivers) and it is blacklisted.My old HP with its integrated radeon x1250 video card doesn't get HA also because of that.Type about:support and at the bottom table what does it say about "Direct2D Enabled","DirectWrite Enabled" and "GPU Accelerated Windows" options?If "GPU Accelerated Windows" says 0/1 ..... it means your video card or drivers are too old and are blacklisted.

It says 1/1. Every parameter is true. My ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 is not blacklisted

Works here. Check about:support and see if your driver is blacklisted or something.

And have you tried setting layers to forced in about:config?

Awnnn... Don't even wanna try it. Since I've installed Pale Moon, Firefox lost the sense to me. I have HA in the stable and beta channels... don't know why it's not working.