Meet the browser: Firefox Next

Never had 7.0a crash on me, either. In fact, I just checked and I've only had 7 crashes this year and I've been using Nightly/Minefield as my main browser the whole time (except for a week of trying Aurora).

I don't understand how it crashes so much on other people's systems.

my guess is differences in hardware, the way their profile is set up (settings, add-ons, ect.), and the web pages they visit

What are your boot times ?

Maybe I should rephrase that.

Boot times can be rather long sometimes, but instant other times. I suppose inconsistent is a good word to use.

I hope electrolysis project will help Firefox in performance.

3. All loading tabs and foreground tab are required to share on virtual core.

The main component! The slower each virtual core is, the worse Firefox performance is.

This will not benefit single core systems, but will HT and better CPUs.

I have been using Firefox 7a for some time now, but it is painful because of the above.

Azure and TI are not as important. They are simple improvements to something that "works well", whereas process separation is an improvement to something that "works poorly"...

Electrolysis will help in that regard (by virtue of every process having it's own thread), but the downside is that it'll use more RAM in the end (Like Chrome). But certain things will still have to go through the main process (like the cache, network access, etc.)

Electrolysis will help in that regard (by virtue of every process having it's own thread), but the downside is that it'll use more RAM in the end (Like Chrome). But certain things will still have to go through the main process (like the cache, network access, etc.)

It does use more ram, but is also more efficient at clearing ram when you close tabs :)

One amazing memory patch landing:

For JM Javascript engine:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=661068

For TM Javascript engine:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=665404

Can save up to 20 MB.......Sweet!!

Here blog post about this memory patch:

http://blog.mozilla.com/nnethercote/2011/06/21/you-make-what-you-measure/

It does use more ram, but is also more efficient at clearing ram when you close tabs :)

Ehh, the system is going to cache that stuff itself, and Firefox would as well most likely (If you re-open a tab you don't want it to start downloading everything again, since it's already in memory)

Animated Tabs coming (very) soon to nightlies

Good to know. I've been waiting for that before I try Firefox 7. Please post and let me know the second it becomes available. Thanks!

What are your boot times ?

I never had Firefox 7.0a crash on me ever. It has had the occasional annoying bug or problem but no crashes. That is to be expected with a alpha build of a program though. It glides for me just like my friend's Chrome on his pc. Actually Firefox feels faster than Chrome now.

Well 7.0a crashes less for me than firefox 4.0 and 5.0. I think it's certain actions that really do it, mainly when editing my website copying and pasting html/css and coping links for images etc.

Started experiencing a weird problem with fonts (looks blurry) today in Firefox 5. I haven't messed with any settings, although I did install a few windows updates today. I have hardware acceleration turned off in my firefox settings. Any way to double check I have the default settings?

Started experiencing a weird problem with fonts (looks blurry) today in Firefox 5. I haven't messed with any settings, although I did install a few windows updates today. I have hardware acceleration turned off in my firefox settings. Any way to double check I have the default settings?

One of the updates released today updated several core fonts. See this thread for the discussion about the font update.

never had font issues with any FF version.... do you have an ati graphics card?

Oh thank god I changed to Firefox 7.0a

The font rendering doesn't hurt my eyes anymore

Did they fall back to GDI once again?

Not exactly.They fall back to GDI only for some Fonts.You can see/add/remove them from about:config from the "gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_for_families" string.Also you can just use GDI for ALL font rendering if you set "gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode" to 2(GDI classic).

Nah, if it's working as intended now I will not change to GDI.

I want ClearType, but it always felt it was being applied twice or something

It's way way better now, it's very noticeable for example, in Facebook. I should do a .gif with the changes.

I have a Nvidia GTX 275

The UI responsiveness seems to be improving a lot in the nightlies.

Indeed, i've made it my main browser now cause they update it everyday for the better.

I use nightly as my main since..... FF 4 nightlyes began i think(i don't really remember).And never had any problems with it(with some minor exceptions) and was stable enough to use it as my main.And i agree that every day it gets better and better.I just cant wait for TI,the complete Azure and electrolysis to land.When they do i think FF will be faster,better looking and more stable than other browsers.(not that it isn't now).

Animated Tabs coming (very) soon to nightlies

How soon is "very" soon? :( . Looks like the latest patch there arrived only a couple days ago.

Speaking of which, when are the enhanced personas going to arrive?

How soon is "very" soon? :( . Looks like the latest patch there arrived only a couple days ago.

Speaking of which, when are the enhanced personas going to arrive?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=590945

Asa Dotzler [:asa] 2011-07-05 12:25:00 PDT

(In reply to comment #181)

> Did this make the cutoff for Fx7? I'm a little confused :)

Nope. It'll have to wait until Firefox 8 gets uplifted.

So, firefox 8 :(