Microsoft has been pretty consistent with its weekly releases of Edge Dev builds, and this week, we're getting an improved dark mode, after it was first introduced in the Canary channel last week. Version 188.8.131.52 also includes a bunch of other minor improvements and users can now choose from a wider range of display languages for the browser.
Starting with new features and behavior, here's what to look out for in the new version:
- Added an option to show only the icon for individual favorites on the favorites bar.
- Added dark theme support for full page screens (Settings, History, etc.)
- Added more languages that you can display Microsoft Edge in.
- Added the ability to choose which categories of diagnostic data are sent with feedback.
- Changed the ability to pin a website to the desktop into the ability to pin a website to the taskbar.
- Separated the ability to import cards and payment info from certain browsers away from the option to import other autofill data like names and addresses.
Microsoft has started separating the list of fixes into two types, one for improved reliability and one for improved behavior. Here's what's changed for reliability:
- Fixed an issue where navigating to a website that’s saved as a favorite by typing its address into the address bar crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where opening the DevTools in an InPrivate window sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where selecting an item from the address bar dropdown sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where signing out of the browser sometimes crashes it.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to sign into the browser sometimes leaves it in a broken state.
- Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
- Fixed an issue where installation was sometimes failing.
And for behavior:
- Fixed an issue where some favorites on the favorites bar spontaneously lost their text.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where videos on certain websites don’t cause the video controls to appear on the touch bar.
- Fixed an issue where searching from the address bar doesn’t work with certain search providers.
- Fixed an issue where certain context menu items were incorrectly appearing in some DevTools context menus.
- Fixed some strings that weren’t translated.
- Fixed an issue where the + button to open new tabs sometimes wasn’t the correct color.
- Improved drag and drop responsiveness on the Favorites page.
- Fixed some layout issues on the Extensions page when using certain localized builds.
For now, the Dev channel of the Chromium-based version of Edge is still not available for older versions of Windows, but it shouldn't be too long now, seeing as the Canary channel debuted last week. After that, it also shouldn't take too long for the Beta channel to be officially available. The leaked version has still been receiving updates at the same time as the Dev channel, and it now supports dark mode as well.