Surface Duo, Microsoft’s early attempt at making a dual-screen foldable device, is getting Android 11. Microsoft once again skipped December Patch for the device, and has instead, started sending out the long-overdue update.
Microsoft is delivering the full version of Android 11 Update to the Surface Duo. The update includes January Security Patch as well. The update has been tagged as version 2021.1027.156. The Over the Air (OTA) update is 2.38 GB. Hence, Surface Duo owners are recommended to update their devices over Wi-Fi.
Microsoft released Surface Duo way back in 2020 with Android 10. It should have received Android 11 in 2021. Interestingly, after Android 11, the device could get Android 12L, which is a fork of Android that has been optimized for tablets, foldable devices, and dual-screen smartphones.
- Enabled launching of OneNote when clicking the top button on Surface Slim Pen 2. (Feature needs Surface Slim Pen 2 to be paired with device).
- Enabled in Surface Duo features, in Settings, to choose a preference for answering phone calls when folded.
- Enabled in Surface Duo features, in Settings, to choose specific apps to automatically span across both screens when you open them.
- Optimized Quick Settings and notification width for portrait and landscape orientations.
- Adjust media volume directly from Quick Settings in any device mode.
- Use thumb mode in Microsoft SwiftKey now with all device modes and application states.
- Updated app drawer and folder design with improved drag-and-drop support.
- Refreshed Microsoft feed design with updated cards and new Microsoft Start widgets for News and Weather.
- Photos by OneDrive: New dual-screen enhanced experience for viewing and editing photos in the OneDrive app.
- Xbox Game Pass: Discovery and play games from the cloud with an on-screen controller. Some devices, accessories, and software are sold separately. Additional fees and/or subscriptions are required for some apps and features.
- Send feedback to Microsoft by opening Settings, then tap About, then tap Give feedback to Microsoft.
To update Microsoft Surface Duo to Android 11, head over to the Settings app, tap System, and System Update.