In line with its usual schedule, Microsoft has released a new build of the Chromium-based Edge browser to users using the Dev channel of the Insider program. The new build is 80.0.355.1, and it focuses mostly on fixes, which is something we've been seeing more of with the more recent updates.
There are, however, a couple of feature additions this week:
- Added an option to Reading View to increase text spacing.
- Added a prompt to verify work or school accounts that are automatically added to Edge but aren’t enabled for sync so that users are aware sync isn’t enabled.
As usual, there are two lists of fixes, one focused on reliability and one focused on behavior, both of which are fairly lengthy this week. For reliability, Microsoft fixed numerous crashes, including one that might have been affecting ARM64 builds. Here's the full list:
- Fixed an issue where closing a window sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash on startup on ARM64 devices.
- Fixed a crash that occurs when favorites sync is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where closing a tab too quickly after adding an item to a Collection sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where a crash in the Collections pane causes all future additions to Collections to fail until the browser is restarted.
- Fixed a tab crash.
- Fixed an issue where Edge on Mac fails to install updates automatically.
- Fixed an issue where saving a PDF that has been written on with ink sometimes results in a corrupted file.
- Fixed an issue Application Guard windows fail to open after a browser update.
As for behavior, one of the notable changes is that PWAs will now have a colored title bar to match the website you're visiting. Microsoft says the title bar color is determined by the color of the website's favicon, but on websites like Twitter, it actually follows the predominant background color based on your theme. Here's the full list:
- Updated the toolbar Feedback icon to be consistent with other Windows feedback icons.
- Changed the color of the title bar of installed websites and PWAs to be the dominant color of the site’s favicon.
- Fixed an issue where manually importing data from Chrome isn’t possible if there are too many Chrome browser profiles to fit in the dialog.
- Fixed an issue where the UI and web content is sometimes seen doubled and shrunken on high DPI displays.
- Fixed an issue where importing favorites from a file sometimes causes any favorites on the Favorites Bar not to be imported directly onto the Favorites Bar.
- Fixed an issue where the Find bar sometimes disappears when the browser loses focus.
- Fixed an issue where the 1px border on top of the window is missing.
- Fixed an issue where the prompt to autofill a credit card has two checkboxes to save the card locally.
- Fixed an issue where navigating to the Sync Settings page always triggers a dialog to enable sync.
- Fixed an issue with changing the order of items in a Collection.
- Fixed an issue where switching tabs quickly after adding an item to a Collection causes the item not to be added properly.
As usual, there are also some known issues you'll need to be aware of with this release:
- The Settings page appears too big/zoomed in on certain machines.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
- At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
- Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix. Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there.
The latest update should be available now, but it may take some time to show up for everyone. It'll be installed automatically eventually if you don't want to do it yourself.