With the release of Windows 10 today, Microsoft is launching their new browser, Edge, which replaces Internet Explorer as the default browser. One of the unique features is that Cortana is built into the browser and can query content faster than you can search for it. To help you get the most out of Edge, listed below are the items that Cortana can help you with directly from the URL bar.
- Stocks (e.g., MSFT, GOOG, AAPL)
- Weather (just start typing the word and get the local weather)
- Limited trivia (e.g., how big is the moon, how tall is the Eiffel tower, how old is Oprah Winfrey etc.)
- Calculations (e.g., x + y)
- Conversions (e.g., tbsp. to tsp)
- Time in X country
- Definition of X
- Sports scores
- Flight information
- Extract restaurant information from some websites
You can type these questions directly into the URL bar and in the drop down box, the answer will be presented. While the list of tasks is currently a bit small compared to what Cortana can do on the desktop, expect this list to grow as Edge matures.
All of these features are live in the version of Edge that ships today and if you are looking for more Windows 10 tips, you can find them here.