A Suggestion for managing complaints

I may be stirring a hornet's nest on this thread, it is regarding threads like these below

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1350502-not-interested-in-neowin-anymore/

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1349634-hello-and-bye-neowin/

I got to thinking, as I am defensive regarding this site, and it's content, maybe there's a better way of handling this type of content, if this feature already exists, then would it be possible to make it more obvious, as at a brief glance, I didn't see it.

So, my suggestion...

Would it be possible to make a complaints section where content such as the ones listed above, and make them only visible to staff members? And have staff able to look into such topics to confirm their validity? 

(It would also help to keep regular members like me from commenting on the fact that the thread only exists because there's little to no other method of giving feedback).

While I see where you are getting up (another forum that I go to have a helpdesk forum that only staff can see), if one is not careful then this could be considering censoring content (something that doesn't go down well with me).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

While I see where you are getting up (another forum that I go to have a helpdesk forum that only staff can see), if one is not careful then this could be considering censoring content (something that doesn't go down well with me).

Yeah, I agree. While it is only a post here and there it's best left on the main page. These discussions can be healthy and also remind members as to why they stay or subscribe.

No need to put the cart before the horse. Best to suck it and see.  :)

• Like 1

Site feedback should be encouraged and engaging on both the staff and user side of things. I understand this is much easier said than done.

I feel as if the word "complaints" doesn't accurately describe the feedback provided within the aforementioned posts.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Naw, as long as things are civil, comments like this should be visible for all.  Now if someone has a problem with a specific member, then yes, take that offline and PM someone.  But as a community, we should be able to discuss these things in a civil manner and bring up ideas/issues to try and make things better. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Naw, as long as things are civil, comments like this should be visible for all.  Now if someone has a problem with a specific member, then yes, take that offline and PM someone.  But as a community, we should be able to discuss these things in a civil manner and bring up ideas/issues to try and make things better. 

I think we could effectively evaluate community opinion of site features and function by using the polls system (or at least augmenting it).

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I think it's best to keep feedback in a public sub-forum. It will cut down any repeated issues which may be reported and allows us all to highlight problems and shares ideas. Of course you can always contact any member of staff and provide feedback privately too if you'd prefer, but I think we have all of the required spaces needed to discuss it.

The admins and supers provide regular feedback both to the news and moderator team via the forums, messaging and news service and we have a staff sub-forum dedicated to bug and feature tracking already (Y)