Spanking your kids is a Felony

You can't state that I'm talking about a minority situation without facts to back that up. I've not stated whether the situation I proposed relates to a minority or not because there are no facts to prove that. Yes, a lot of children do get away with **** nowadays, but there is no proof that has anything to do with less spanking.

Post hoc, ergo proctor hoc.

Find me a kid that knows what that means and wasn't spanked ;)

The only way to learn Latin is at the end of a cane O.o

I've just remembered something:

People used to think it was okay for schools to hit and abuse kids in order to ensure they behaved. That has since been abolished yet kids still behave and do well at school. Just like spanking is seen as acceptable to some of you now, I hope you begin to realise it is not needed.

Yep, that explains the metal detectors and bullying etc etc that are such big issues in public schools now days :)

You can't say something like that without facts to back it up.

In Australia there has been a significant surge in violence, bullying and other anti-social behavior since schools were told they couldn't issue certain punishments. To extend this, I do not care to provide a source for this, you take my word for it or you don't, I don't mind, but you won't be getting away with hypocrisy on the basis of a green tag.

But where do we draw the line? I know a staff member that was suspended from work(at the school) for yelling at a kid because he hurt the childs feelings. Do you want to know what was said? "I am calling your father!" BTW, the child was 12.

That is indeed the issue.

Society has gotten so soft. The issue is you get a few bad apples who do the wrong thing, and as a result a blanket ruling is made to encompass everyone :\

The answer is either take the bad apple out the back and beat them with a phone book, or push them off a cliff.

An Ex-GF's father was assaulted by a student while covering bus duty at the school at which he taught. She caused pretty nasty damage to his face, including 4 stitches on his lower lip where she ripped his face open. He filed an incident report and made a police report. The next day when he arrived at school, they threatened him with suspension and dismissal for not taking into account the student's feelings when making the report :\ Had it been be me I would have grabbed a lawyer and sued the school and the family in question just to make the point.

Fortunately when he went to the teachers union they backed him up and the school was unable to proceed with the complete bull**** they were trying to foist upon him :\

The girl should have been spoken to by the police and the incident cited on her record but not prosecuted. Instead she got off scot-free.

Some time later in the week, a memo went out to staff about "correct handling of student confrontation". The poor guy handled it by having his face ripped open, and then gets a lecture about how he should have stopped it :s

BLEH! Completely derailed post is derailed.. completely..

No, I see your point exactly. Every case is different, each situation calls for different measures, and at the point we are in society over the last 25 or so years things have changed. Generation after generation was taught to respect their elders or face the punishment that would come, and this worked. Doing nothing is worse than giving a spanking. Are we now protecting the children or are we actually doing more harm than good?

Sometimes the only way to put a brat in line is by a good spanking. Time out doesn't work, trust me, I stayed good when I thought I was going to get a spanking, but when threatened with time out I never listened as a kid.

And I'm ashamed of Texas, come on, I thought you were supposed to be the state with common sense.

I agree on physical punishment, because in the military you can smoke a soldier (pushups, situps, etc.), which is what I liked getting as a soldier if I did something wrong, not only did it correct me, but improved my physical fitness. Now, the military is making us cousnel them (just a word for writing up), if they get 3 counselings on the same thing, they can get an Art. 15 which would give them up to 45 days punishment, and could take away half their paycheck for a month along with rank. As a soldier, which one would want to learn from? Doing physical punishment or learning from your mistake when you actually lose money and rank?

reply from page one but still relevant : this analogy doesn't work because spanking and physical punishment have an effect that depends on the situation and on the person.

you don't punish a 3 years old like you punish a 7 years old , or like you punish a 14 years old , or like you punish an adult , because the effect will not necessarily be the same

a Soldier, nowadays, will obviously learn more from losing money and rank than pushups because yes , we are getting softer

I'll just leave this here.

And I'm ashamed of Texas, come on, I thought you were supposed to be the state with common sense.

LOL Are you sure you meant to say Texas?

I've just remembered something:

People used to think it was okay for schools to hit and abuse kids in order to ensure they behaved. That has since been abolished yet kids still behave and do well at school. Just like spanking is seen as acceptable to some of you now, I hope you begin to realise it is not needed.

Have you SEEN the way kids act in schools today? Most of the **** that goes on now would never have been tolerated when I was in school in the 70's and 80's. You would have been paddled, suspended, or expelled for things that are considered "normal behavior" today.

Well I feel better about society after reading so many people still think spanking is necessary... I was beginning to worry because all you ever hear are people getting in trouble for spanking on the news...

There is a difference between a open hand on the rear 2 to 3 times and a closed fisted punch to the head. The two are not the same. One is beating and one is a form of punishment to a child who isn't understanding an important lesson trying to be taught.

Sometimes, just the thought of a spanking will set kids straight. My father made a paddle with holes drilled into it. It took a few times of getting hit by that and I shaped up.

There is a difference between a open hand on the rear 2 to 3 times and a closed fisted punch to the head. The two are not the same. One is beating and one is a form of punishment to a child who isn't understanding an important lesson trying to be taught.

Unfortunately, the extreme liberal anti-spanking idiots (such as the judge in this case) see them as one and the same.

Pfft, next you'll be saying that we're not allowed to hang them by their feet when they've been bad.

A spanking isn't bad. Using a belt is bad, slapping or beating a child is bad, but a spank on a child's behind isn't. Your ass can put up with a lot of s*** (this is something that you learn more and more as you get older, although more in a metaphorical sense than a literal one) and a spank is not going to be the end of the World. It may teach the child a lesson at the time, however.

I agree. Spare the rod and spoil the child. I was spanked as a kid with an open hand and learned me lessons. My parents did attempt the stand me in the corner, quiet time, etc but honestly, I would not learn my lesson from those attempts. When I was spanked it was explained to me that they did it because they love me and is the result of my continued disobedience.

Yes, it is. It hurts them whether the pain is a little amount or not. Physically hurting a child is abusing them.

There are other ways to teach a child a lesson, as I have pointed out. Confiscating the devices they like to use every day is one of the best ways; they soon learn then. Grounding is another effective method.

As I said above, these methods do not work, maybe on a child that is not strong willed but truly not on the majority of children. You have your views, I have mine, which I respectfully disagree with. I do however agree with your view on child abuse on the terms of beating (hitting with a closed fist, beating with no control or out of anger. Spanking is meant to do when the parent is calm and explains the situation to them).

When I was grounded, I loved it. I'd sleep as long as I wanted. So, what did I learn from that?

You were spanked as a child and you ended up in the military. That would be consistent with the studies on spanking.

People here are still treating spanking as a solution to a problem that parents caused themselves. Spanking will only make the problem worse.

That's funny... it didn't for me.

It doesn't for most. People who think it does either never had children who are hard headed/dont listen or let their children do what they want/run amok and never understand the meaning of no (paris hilton comes to mind here).

I bet this will bring it into light, do you believe in it and do you have kids?

I believe in it for severe situations/absolutely last resort and I have 6 kids.

We had those in school, all the way up to high school where the principal had it mounted on the wall behind his desk.

Heh, my dad told my teachers not to touch me and that he would take care of it at home. Honestly, I think I would have rather had the teachers spank me than what was coming at home. lol. ;)

People here are still treating spanking as a solution to a problem that parents caused themselves. Spanking will only make the problem worse.

A problem the parents caused themselves? You mean, breeding? Because if a child exists, I can guarantee that they need to be taught how to behave, and that you have to use effective methods to do so.

It's not easy. Parents don't want to hurt their children, not even a little stinging swat that's for a good reason. Discipline isn't all rainbows and sunshine. But being a parent isn't easy, and sometimes you have to make those choices for the greater good--keeping your children safe from harm and helping them grow up into a successful adult with a proper sense of how to behave in society, their place in the world, and how to respect others (especially authority).

I said it before and I will say it again--I'm glad my mother spanked me when I needed it. She was a lot more lax with my youngest brother, and it shows--he treats her very disrespectfully, says things to her I would have NEVER gotten away with, refuses to help her with the housework or get a proper job or do anything except sit around leeching off her when he's plenty old enough not to. She never has put her foot down properly with him (at least not in a long time) and now it's probably too late, he's grown into this lazy, disrespectful, unmotivated almost-adult. I was out of the house with a degree, a good job, and a fiance when I was two years younger than he is now. I love and respect my mother so much more than I would if she hadn't raised me the way she did.

You were spanked as a child and you ended up in the military. That would be consistent with the studies on spanking.

There's a study on that? Weird. I joined the military because my Dad was in it and he said I didn't have the self-discipline to make it through one semester of college. He was prob. right. But then again, he has been right on a lot of things in regards to life and parenting. In fact, I thought he was brilliant when I had my first daughter.

Really? I turned out OK. Two Master's degrees, a wife, four beautiful children, a house, and a job I love. Granted I do not spank my children, but it is really all in how you discipline your children. If anything hurt me worse, it was my mother leaving us on my 13th birthday and filing for divorce.

Of course it's a felony; it's child abuse. There are many other ways to punish a child and ensure they behave. My mother confiscating stuff I really wanted to use (like my Playstation) worked with me. My mother did spank me sometimes when I was younger, but I think she soon realised just how horrible and abusive it is.

Confiscating something a child really want is itself an abuse, because you're causing emotional distress and pain to teach a lesson, and that kind of pain is often worse than the physical one.

Confiscating something a child really want is itself an abuse, because you're causing emotional distress and pain to teach a lesson, and that kind of pain is often worse than the physical one.

All punishment is abuse, but we have to punish people somehow otherwise they won't learn. I disagree that such emotional distress is worse than physically abuse; physical abuse not only physically hurts, but it teaches the child that it's okay to hit others. We send criminals to jail because while it's emotionally distressing, it doesn't physically hurt them. Of course, I'm not comparing criminals to misbehaving children; I'm comparing the punishment for acts deemed innappropriate by both children and criminals.