Spanking your kids is a Felony

Yeah obviously the child is vitamin b deficient or he would not have taken the cookie from the cookie jar. Come on guys think rationally for a second. :laugh:

I do not have children.

Then I suggest you take a look at how young children behave. As I write this I can see a small group of young children messing about by a small bin, trying to jump higher than the bin is set (I should point out I work at a school). I could take your route and go and tell them that at some point one of them will get their leg caught in the bin, and they will then tumble to the ground and hurt themselves. I can also tell you that tomorrow they will more than likely be back there, doing the same thing until I tell them again. And the same thing will happen again, day after day.

Children are children. They might be able to speak, walk around and understand what someone says to them, but there are times where children don't go with rationality. They don't understand that things are a bad idea. With certain situations it's fine to leave them to it until they learn for themselves. For other situations, it's a case of being cruel to be kind. Sadly we can't all hope for the little geniuses that you think you're going to have.

And with that, my work day is over so I'm off home.

I have a question to those who think spanking is wrong.

When you talk to your child and they don't listen, when you yell at your child and they don't listen, when you put your child in time out and they don't listen, when you take away things from your child (toys, ability to do whatever) and they don't listen, whats left? When you have exhausted all other options and they continue to disrespect, choose not to listen, choose to do what ever they want, what do you have to try to correct the situation?

I know that I have tried reasoning, I have tried the reward system, I have tried bribery, I have tried punishment, but nothing works like the fear of getting the hand on the butt...you don't have to spank them everytime but they perk up everytime you mention the word, of course it has to be done once or twice and sometimes as a reminder, but some kids respond to physical pain more than being talked to or given rewards or taken rewards away. My wife complains all the time that my son has no respect for her, on the other hand he listens to what I say....the difference is that when needed I put a hand to his rear, when he doesn't listen, when he laughs when tell him that I am going to take away this or that, when he disobeys and has a smerk on his face when I am either talking to him or scoulding him. The parent should be responsible for their childs growth, this judge is wrong in making it a felony and I would take this higher up....but then again that takes money and this person may not have the money to fight this. This is just so wrong.

+1

I never said anything about it but this is exactly what I would try. Try the other options and then resort to spanking. After you spank a couple times, the other ways of punishing probably work better, and if they don't, all you have to say is "Do I need to spank?" (For me it was "do I need to get the yard stick out".) **** gets serious when you hear that... but eventually I needed to be reminded that they were serous about getting the yard stick out... lol

1 solution is not the answer for all humans. We are all vastly different when you go to personalities, and one way of action will not work on everyone. Some kids do not react to anything unless there is a reaction that shows them their errors. Like kids in school, some are great at math and science, were as the don't do so well in verbal subjects.

Doesn't matter what you feed your kids, everyone will learn and act differently. And seeing how the human brain doesn't reach maturity till a little after 28 in most humans, it is just ignorant to think that a kid will understand everything they are presented.

Also, you can not take away item for a 2 or 3 or 4 year old and hope that they get the point. Though I also don't think spanking is the option to many or all problems... sometimes, it is the only option a kid will react and remember.

For me, spanking didn't even work. Grounding didn't work, I would just annoy my parents worse with loud singing and whatever. I was so hyper and self centered, as many kids are, that I would continue to do my own thing, and only learned from it once it presented itself as a problem. My parents learned that somethings, they had to just let me do. *Holding metal knife* Whats these holes in the wall for Dad? - They provide electricity. - What happens when I put this in here? - Try and find out. *ZAP* ----- That could be seen as child abuse, as my Dad knew I would be hurt, and I could have had worse happen. But somethings a person learns in life from pain. Actually, the best lessons ever learned usually come from pain.

Oh you answered it. You shouldn't be talking if you don't have children, because your rational thinking doesn't apply to non-experience.

I clearly said lapses in judgment.

Then I suggest you take a look at how young children behave. As I write this I can see a small group of young children messing about by a small bin, trying to jump higher than the bin is set (I should point out I work at a school). I could take your route and go and tell them that at some point one of them will get their leg caught in the bin, and they will then tumble to the ground and hurt themselves. I can also tell you that tomorrow they will more than likely be back there, doing the same thing until I tell them again. And the same thing will happen again, day after day.

They will learn after they tumble to the ground and hurt themselves, and much faster than telling them to stop.

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

Children are children. They might be able to speak, walk around and understand what someone says to them, but there are times where children don't go with rationality. They don't understand that things are a bad idea. With certain situations it's fine to leave them to it until they learn for themselves. For other situations, it's a case of being cruel to be kind. Sadly we can't all hope for the little geniuses that you think you're going to have.

And with that, my work day is over so I'm off home.

I wouldn't be so sure. I mean, any 6 year old with his proper nutrition everyday will know that jumping that bin has the possibility of hurting them and with that comes liability and possible insurance cost for their parents. Of course, said 6 year would have enough rationale to ask their parents before going outside if their parents' insurance policy is current.

If your 6 year old does not do these things then you are a horrible parent who does not raise a healthy child.

I was spanked as a child many times. I'm perfectly fine now, I was perfectly fine after I was spanked. I don't believe my ass was ever bruised... (When it get's that bad, it's probably child abuse.) I wouldn't take my childhood back for anything. I'm proud of the way my parents raised me. People I work with will say the same thing.

Getting spanked help lead to who I am today. If I wasn't spanked I can honestly say my life would be different. I would be a brat, or throw a rant when things don't go my way. I don't think I would work near as hard as I do now if I wasn't spanked.

We are raising a bunch of wussies because of all these stupid laws. My theory is the people creating the laws and making a big deal about it were raised up to be wussies and always got their way. There are only a few compared to the population that probably have a problem with spanking. These few make a big deal about it and have to have their way, and those that have been raised right aren't going to make a deal about it because we weren't raised to cause a bunch of trouble, and they don't want these wussies to get together and try to throw you in jail.

http://thewussificationofamerica.com/

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=9745

One could punch a child, and the child would be perfectly fine afterward and not be bruised. Does that mean that isn't child abuse? Of course it doesn't.

If taking away a device does the same thing what we believe spanking does... Isn't the kid spending a little to much time with that device? Sounds like the device would be doing more of the parenting?

No. I spent hardly any of my day playing my Playstation, but I played on it regularly. When my mother confiscated it, I learnt my lesson and knew not to misbehave in the same way again.

I've been grounded before, but it never really did anything. It takes a lot of work to successfully ground a kid. Spanking is quick and it definetly gets the point across about who's boss and what you were doing was wrong.

Spanking also hurts. Grounding worked fine with me.

You're too soft. I hope you don't have children.

No, I'm not too soft. I just know how to be a decent parent.

I wouldn't be so sure. I mean, any 6 year old with his proper nutrition everyday will know that jumping that bin has the possibility of hurting them and with that comes liability and possible insurance cost for their parents. Of course, said 6 year would have enough rationale to ask their parents before going outside if their parents' insurance policy is current.

If your 6 year old does not do these things then you are a horrible parent who does not raise a healthy child.

You forgot the sarcasm symbol.

NOT spanking a child turns him into a snot.

Corrected that for you, as evidenced by the incredibly out of control kids today as compared to when I was growing up 30+ years ago (when spanking was not only an accepted, but expected form of punishment for children, even in schools). Compare the typical attitudes and behavior of children today with those of 30-40 years ago and you'd see the effects of this PC bull****.

One could punch a child, and the child would be perfectly fine afterward and not be bruised. Does that mean that isn't child abuse? Of course it doesn't.

No. I spent hardly any of my day playing my Playstation, but I played on it regularly. When my mother confiscated it, I learnt my lesson and knew not to misbehave in the same way again.

Spanking also hurts. Grounding worked fine with me.

Dude, I read through your posts, what is not sinking into your skull is that everyone is different. What works for some does not work for others. I have 6 kids, yes 6 and they are all different and require different levels of attention, end of story. One day when you have kids come back and read through your posts and you will want to bang your head on your desk.

PS, you can not know how to be a decent parent unless you are one. Just because I can do well on Gran Turismo doesn't mean I can drive NASCAR.

Personally i think spanking should be the last option on the list of punishments. As my psych teacher suggested, when you take a toy or electronic device from your child and they start throwing a tantrum turn up some loud music and jam to it

Your teacher is a ****ing moron.

Fair enough, but how long until grounding a child gets the association of imprisonment and therefore becomes a felony?

I'm not saying that it will happen, but someone may be nutty enough to suggest it as a serious proposition, and then it will be one more form of punishment that parents aren't allowed to use.

I can't help but think that there is some correlation between parent's punishment rights being rescinded and the problems with youths. I will admit though that I have no evidence to support this idea, it is merely my thinking.

I understand your concerns. I'm only speaking from experience. Of course, grounding and confiscating possessions might not work with all children, but they both worked with me, so I advocate them over spanking. I would always look to other forms of punishment than physically hurting my child because I just don't believe doing so is moral. As I say, my mother never physically hurt me to make me behave and I turned out to be successful, as did my sister. In regard to your concern about grounding eventually being seen as abuse, I see what you're saying, and I just hope the law doesn't become that stupid. If a child is grounded, but looked after, there is nothing morally wrong with that situation.

Are you one now? Do you speak from experience? I am more willing to believe someone who has been there.

I have a question to those who think spanking is wrong.

When you talk to your child and they don't listen, when you yell at your child and they don't listen, when you put your child in time out and they don't listen, when you take away things from your child (toys, ability to do whatever) and they don't listen, whats left? When you have exhausted all other options and they continue to disrespect, choose not to listen, choose to do what ever they want, what do you have to try to correct the situation?

[. . .]

Even if all of these do not work, it is not moral to physically hurt the child. There are behavioural experts and professionals who can help you and your child, but violence is never the answer.

The child is unhealthy because the parents didn't feed it well to develop its brain properly or teach it common sense. Any good parent teaches their child everything before they can even SEE a road for themselves. A healthy child also knows instinctively that cars will kill it. All you need to do is inform the child what a car can do. There is no reason to hit it.

Of course not, but even raising a hand to a child means that you have failed that child long before you decided to spank it.

I don't care if I get a warning for this, You are completely ignorant if you truly believe that nonsense.

Corrected that for you, as evidenced by the incredibly out of control kids today as compared to when I was growing up 30+ years ago (when spanking was not only an accepted, but expected form of punishment for children, even in schools). Compare the typical attitudes and behavior of children today with those of 30-40 years ago and you'd see the effects of this PC bull****.

Anyone remember getting a solid back-hand from Mom or Dad for interrupting conversations? 1 or 2 of those early-on and I learned a life long lesson of not interrupting people.

Not spanking your kids and just trying to talk them down is just lazy-ass parenting. Actually it's not parenting at all, more like passive-indifferent babysitting.

I clearly said lapses in judgment.

You're judging people's actions on a whole area of life you know absolutely nothing about other than what you may have seen in movies or read. Unless you've babysat a 2 year old brat 24/7 for 2 years and potentially for the next 10-14 years, then you really have nothing else to say.

I don't have children, I'm sure as hell not going to tell a parent what they should or shouldn't do with their child or judge them on what they do other than the extremes. Spanking isn't one of them.

The very notion that you think I am trolling only goes to show how little sense we as a society have.

There is no reason to hit anybody, especially a child, except in cases of self-defense.

wow, after reading all your posts, you have ZERO clue what you are taking about.... maybe those puritans that lived in the 1800's let their kids watch too much tv and gave them too much junk food only to spank them when they misbehaved yet they turned out basically the ideal person in the end.... spanking has been around FOREVER to try to blame it on modern problems is obsurd

oh and.....

healthy child also knows instinctively that cars will kill it. All you need to do is inform the child what a car can do. There is no reason to hit it.

seriously? you know no mater what you tell a kid or how you raise them, they will always be curious, they might know right and wrong,but they will still wonder... you need to get over this idea you have of a perfect kid, it doesn't exist, life is about learning from mistakes and their consequences

Even if all of these do not work, it is not moral to physically hurt the child. There are behavioural experts and professionals who can help you and your child, but violence is never the answer.

Your morals are not others and you have no right to put them on anyone else.

I don't care if I get a warning for this, You are completely ignorant if you truly believe that nonsense.

I agree with your signature but your parenting leaves much to be desired. Violence is left to the wicked, not your own children.