Windows 8 Start button isn't coming back, but there will be a tutorial

In other words, he's wrong.

Strictly speaking, I guess so. ;)

But like I said, Metro Snap doesn't get you very far.

And his original point still stands:

If they released Windows 9 and ONLY allowed to have one application open at a time NO MATTER WHAT, we are just supposed to deal with it because it is a new version?

EDIT: Excuse me, that was actually xWhiplash's point.

There were plenty of ways to bring elements of Metro's design philosophy to the desktop. Immersive isn't the right way. In an all-touch future, maybe, but when we have keyboards and mice and 27" screens with 3,686,400 logical pixels, Immersive just doesn't make sense. And even on smaller screens where Immersive starts to become more practical, it's still wildly disjointed from the multitasking paradigm of the Windows desktop.

Strictly speaking, I guess so. ;)

But like I said, Metro Snap doesn't get you very far.

And his original point still stands:

EDIT: Excuse me, that was actually xWhiplash's point.

For desktops you still have the appropriately named "desktop" tough, and the start menu as your launcher. Multi task like a champ

For desktops you still have the appropriately named "desktop" tough

Indeed. And it is still very much needed and will be for quite some time. Which is why it is curious to see people arguing for the Desktop to die, and how Metro is superior to it, and then when anyone brings up criticism against Metro, the same people refer one to the desktop side that is still there. :wacko:

Indeed. And it is still very much needed and will be for quite some time. Which is why it is curious to see people arguing for the Desktop to die, and how Metro is superior to it, and then when anyone brings up criticism against Metro, the same people refer one to the desktop side that is still there. :wacko:

My money is still on the death of the Win32 desktop. Metro just needs time to mature.

So the user interface has evolved to the point where it is no longer intuitive :(

No start menu? tutorials? MS truly are listening to what their customers want!!

Id laugh if I didn't use Windows all the time, I cant see me upgrading to this tho, I just dont have the time to go through the whole thing. Its like someone coming in and moving everything around in your house.

Keep the UI the same and just improve the features Windows has - it really is that simple!!!!

The tutorials are only needed for those who haven't used the OS before. Look at what XP had.

I just hope that you can easily get out of that, I don't want to sit through it.

But it'd be nice for people to learn.

My money is still on the death of the Win32 desktop. Metro just needs time to mature.

Yep and they will end with same problem they started with when Metro gets busy. Just going in Circle.

The tutorials are only needed for those who haven't used the OS before. Look at what XP had.

I just hope that you can easily get out of that, I don't want to sit through it.

But it'd be nice for people to learn.

I'm putting my money on the tutorials being similar to how they were in windows 95

Whatever you want, without getting in the way.

Give Metro time to mature and develop, and you'll forget all about Win32. You just have to be open to the possibilities a metro-like UI brings to the PC.

While I don't agree Live Tiles are the be all end all on the desktop yet, there is great potential. We'll see. On a phone, where all you want is bits of data quickly, it's perfect. On a desktop where you consumer more info, not so much. But the creative potential is there. I do think Live tiles on a desktop (i.e. gadget) is more functional. Small bits of data while you're doing something else. On the Start Page, you have to be basically doing nothing except staring at a start page on the desktop. On a tablet or phone, you're doing whatever you're doing and just want to glance at your device and get meaningful infomration.

Live tiles have dashboard like potential but there are better solutions for that. Still, if you're going to have Metro, Live Tiles are great.

BTW, gadgets failed because x86 platform has crappy designers. The best designers are on Mac platform and Mac, even Google, and Konfabulator had better designed gadgets. Wintel platform too techhy, not much style. MS should go after these designers for Live Tiles/Gadgets.

sigh.. roll on win7 sp2 then win9

Let's hope MS does not shortchange us on Win 7 SP2 to try and force Windows 8 adoption. If you think they're beyond stooping that low you're naive and have no MS shares.

Yep and they will end with same problem they started with when Metro gets busy. Just going in Circle.

Metro quickly outgrows even the HTC Titan. It is not built for large amounts of tiles/data. It will be interesting to see how it evolves, it will have to. Right now the Start Page quickly becomes a blocky mess.

I don't think the desktop/Explorer UI is going away any time soon. File management, etc. will never be as efficient or effective full screen single-tasking.

I'm going to ignore the whole mess (for personal use) until there is a compelling reason to upgrade. That's on the desktop. Can't wait to get a tablet and my Lumia is on the way!

My prediciton: Before or in Windows 8 SP1, MS will be forced to make compromises, either returning Start Button as option and/or allowing direct boot to desktop. At that time, several executives will take the blame and be dismissed. Ballmer will be under the gun to step aside. Windows Phone will obtain 10-15% market share by end of next year, and Windows 8 Tablets will quickly take over the market (1 year). Bill Gates will return to MS in the next 3 years in some official capacity ... ok, scratch the last one, he's done. Enjoy life Bill.

Let's hope MS does not shortchange us on Win 7 SP2 to try and force Windows 8 adoption. If you think they're beyond stooping that low you're naive and have no MS Shares.

If your machine is up to date, than service packs are useless to you. If you're looking for a massive, "XP SP2" style rollup, than I wouldn't hold my breath.

Is that the yardstick for the capabilities of a desktop operating system now? iOS?

whoooooooosssshhhhhh....

So, say a company has 1000 workers, and 500 workstations. before upgrading to Windows 8 the company is going to retrain all its workers, yea right. From XP to 7 (which most still use) It will require training let alone the amount of retraining for Windows 8. I can just see it.

whoooooooosssshhhhhh....

Yes, iOS only allows for one window at a time, while Metro allows for "one and a half", if one is being generous. Same difference. Metro Snap is a nice feature to have on a tablet. But both iOS 's and Metro's window management features are inadequate for a desktop operating system.

14p0o.png

Yes, iOS only allows for one window at a time, while Metro allows for "one and a half", if one is being generous. Same difference. Metro Snap is a nice feature to have on a tablet. But both iOS 's and Metro's window management features are inadequate for a desktop operating system.

14p0o.png

You're just being silly now. You can continue to run all your applications as you always have on the desktop - the immersive apps aren't compulsory and don't replace the functionality of the desktop. Stop spreading FUD.

So the user interface has evolved to the point where it is no longer intuitive :(

No start menu? tutorials? MS truly are listening to what their customers want!!

Id laugh if I didn't use Windows all the time, I cant see me upgrading to this tho, I just dont have the time to go through the whole thing. Its like someone coming in and moving everything around in your house.

Keep the UI the same and just improve the features Windows has - it really is that simple!!!!

Windows is only easy to use because you've used it since win95. That doesn't make it intuitive. Metro is easier to user for someone completely blank than previous windows.

And they did just p improve what's there, they improved the start menu based on how people use it. People only use the pinned items, which windows 7 can fit about 7 to 8 of. The start screen can fit 40 pinned items on just the first page without scrolling, and that's with grouping them into organized groups and having some of them big. More I tuition, faster access to more pinned favorites and easier to find and click. With muscle memory, meaning in general faster usage.

• Like 2

You can continue to run all your applications as you always have on the desktop - the immersive apps aren't compulsory and don't replace the functionality of the desktop.

I'm well aware. I'm not arguing against Windows 8, but against the hopes for a Metro-only future. As I see it, Metro and the desktop will have to coexist for a long time yet, meaning there's no escape from the schizophrenic personality on display with Windows 8. Do you disagree?

To be fair, earlier versions of Windows came with a tutorial also. The older ones of us will remember this:

Back then computers were new tech. People did not know how to use them.

Someone who is able to do simple tasks on Windows 7 should not need a tutorial to do the same tasks on Windows 8.

If your machine is up to date, than service packs are useless to you. If you're looking for a massive, "XP SP2" style rollup, than I wouldn't hold my breath.

Wrong.

Service packs include fixes that are not on windows update also with SP2 for Win7 I am hoping MS will back port some of the new things in Windows 8 to Windows 7 like WDDM 1.2 and xHCI