Boston Bombing Suspects - MIT Shooting - Manhunt

Suspect has been spotted with a suicide vest according to police radio. He's not going down alive today

Does that mean that the military is involved, or do police departments in the US use military vehicles?

We have a up-armored HMMWV at work, it's a 2006 and has 400 miles on it. The military "lends" them to LE agencies indefinitely if they have a surplus and/or are getting rid of old units. It's still government property, but for the agency to use. It can take any round up to a .50 cal, If someone has a .50 cal or IED it's not rated to take that kind of hit.

Suspect has been spotted with a suicide vest according to police radio. He's not going down alive today

Just like I thought.

but do they have him on location? thats the main issue right now.

Does that mean that the military is involved, or do police departments in the US use military vehicles?

Yes, the military is involved. But law enforcement agencies do have access to military tech. SWAT squads have access to high powered rifles, and armored vehicles.

Yes, the military is involved. But law enforcement agencies do have access to military tech. SWAT squads have access to high powered rifles, and armored vehicles.

AFAIK Boston police, state police, and the FBI (lead) are handling the incident/investigation. I think the National Guard was brought in to Boston to provide security when they were working the bombing scene. But I highly doubt they are involved in the active manhunt of the suspect. The local authorities know the area better and are usually used to working together and likely have a joint special task force that has trained together for situations like this.

We have a up-armored HMMWV at work, it's a 2006 and has 400 miles on it. The military "lends" them to LE agencies indefinitely if they have a surplus and/or are getting rid of old units. It's still government property, but for the agency to use. It can take any round up to a .50 cal, If someone has a .50 cal or IED it's not rated to take that kind of hit.

Fair enough. Thanks for the responses.

see? mixing up information.....

afaik only police, swat teams and fbi is involved. there is no national guard or army here (unless it is for evacuation)

On the live news video they are showing military personnel and hummers driving down the street.

AFAIK Boston police, state police, and the FBI (lead) are handling the incident/investigation. I think the National Guard was brought in to Boston to provide security when they were working the bombing scene. But I highly doubt they are involved in the active manhunt of the suspect. The local authorities know the area better and are usually used to working together and likely have a joint special task force that has trained together for situations like this.

My mistake, I coulda swore they had the support of the NG.

They've mentioned there is a person in custody, and that the trigger was on that person in custody.

Heard they arrested a third person, a female. G/F, sister?

there is a third person arrested. this person was made strip naked (to make sure there were no weapons) the sex of the person was not disclosed but i hope it wasnt female because it would bring problems on if that was the correct way to handle the situation.

On the live news video they are showing military personel and hummers driving down the street.

these provie support, not directly involved. they are used for evaculation and thats it

I wonder who hired these Chechens:

1. Al-Qaeda/CIA/MI6

2. Iran/Syria/Hamas/Hezbollah

No matter who is behind, the last thing I want to see is a retaliatory action inside the Russian borders, in Chechnya.

29pogic.gif

I've not been following this all too closely, but it seems insane. Someone has probably already linked to this, but the BBC have live text coverage following the events.

Thanks. I don't have a cable subscription and the sound isn't working on my laptop..now I have something useful to follow.

My mistake, I coulda swore they had the support of the NG.

they problably do but for evaculation reasons (of course if he comes out with a 50 cal, they will help to, they are armed)

They've mentioned there is a person in custody, and that the trigger was on that person in custody.

what trigger?

1. Al-Qaeda/CIA/MI6

No matter who is behind, the last thing I want to see is a retaliatory action inside the Russian borders, in Chechnya.

what kind of racist conclusion is this? doesnt matter where they are from. to me they are two crazy idiots.

there is a third person arrested. this person was made strip naked (to make sure there were no weapons) the sex of the person was not disclosed but i hope it wasnt female because it would bring problems on if that was the correct way to handle the situation.

I don't see why it would bring more problems then stripping a guy. A suspect with a potentially hidden weapon is the same, no matter their sex.

Why would anyone be required to have hired them? People are capable of independently crazy actions

1. Al-Qaeda/CIA/MI6/

29pogic.gif

Stay on topic and don't turn this thread into a gun control debate. If it carries on warns will be handed out. I've already removed a few posts.

Can we put down some rules that a signature loaded with your weapons is just absurd.. this isn't a gun advocate forum as much as it isn't a gun control forum. I'm surprised you guys let those silly signatures slide.

BTW, I own a few guns myself.. the sigs are absurd and silly, especially for a community like Neowin.

Why would anyone be required to have hired them? People are capable of independently crazy actions

I certainly can't think of any political reason why 2 Chechens would want to attack Americans. Russians maybe.. but not Americans. I'm betting there's some kind of personal reason for their actions, but unless they've left written or taped reasons, I doubt we'll ever know. The younger brother isn't coming out of this alive.

I don't see why it would bring more problems then stripping a guy. A suspect with a potentially hidden weapon is the same, no matter their sex.

this person sounds like they stopped their tracks and went down without any fight. putting them on their belly is strandard procedure, not stripping them. NOONE is asked to strip naked and here personally it is iilegal; if someone searches you, they must be of your same sex.

1. Al-Qaeda/CIA/MI6/

29pogic.gif

yes, I'm sure MI6 and/or the CIA wanted to bomb the boston marathon. Come on man ...