KeeperOfThePizza

I miss the old return to castle wolfenstein. The multiplayer was awesome.

• Like 1
Andrew

Last week, RTTCW was on Steam promo :)

Maybe it's not retroactive? It's certainly affecting newer titles though:

RLdhh.png

XqYsNi3.png

The flags are visible for each title on the database so you can check and see if trading will be possible with the new Wolf game. Enjoy it while it lasts though because they are cracking down on it, particularly for those who abuse the regional price differences and/or sell them elsewhere.

ShadowMajestic

I thought Germany was finally softening on this stuff regarding games and nazism or rather, gore in general.

Nothing new though, every previous Wolfenstein had it :) In a way, it wouldnt be Wolfenstein without the german filter.

• Like 1
+Audioboxer

PVvxhdk.png

WTF is with developers and patches on these new consoles? At this size I think you're having a laugh calling it a patch...

• Like 3
The Evil Overlord

True, why so big? and is this for both next gens?

McKay

I was greatly annoyed Thief had a day 1 6GB patch.

I too think it's a laugh calling this a "patch". Feels more like missing stuff. I dread to think how many bug fixes could be squeezed into 7gb. 

• Like 2
Andrew

It's bad enough the patch size is so big, but on top of a 50 GB game to start with is ridiculous :no:

• Like 1
GotBored

At this rate we'll only be able to fit like 5 games on our consoles.

• Like 2
DarkyDan

I guess that's why I've never owned a console.  Only PC's.  I enjoyed the Sega Mega Drive when it was out however.  Current consoles are just low spec PC's with their nuts in a vice grip/

• Like 7
Noir Angel

Good lord, that's ridiculous. Glad I have fast connectivity.

123456789A

At this rate we'll only be able to fit like 5 games on our consoles.

Hopefully they'll get that external hard drive support going soon.

• Like 1
Brendeth

I guess that's why I've never owned a console.  Only PC's.  I enjoyed the Sega Mega Drive when it was out however.  Current consoles are just low spec PC's with their nuts in a vice grip/

This comment does not make sense. So PC games don't have patches?

On-topic: Man that is a big patch, I honestly am worried about the size of patches that games like Destiny will be giving to us.

• Like 1
Phouchg

I'm sorry, that's chicken's droppings. That just speaks of crappy packaging format, crappy engine or that the game engine does not accept patches easily, so one has to replace whole (or large parts) of big data files to correct a few assets and logic errors. Bandwidth capabilities and enermous storage options have made middleware authors deadbeat lazy.

• Like 3
The Evil Overlord

I'm sorry, that's chicken's droppings. That just speaks of crappy packaging format, crappy engine or that the game engine does not accept patches easily, so one has to replace whole (or large parts) of big data files to correct a few assets and logic errors. Great bandwidth and enermous storage options have made middleware authors deadbeat lazy.

Actually, I was just about to ask if that was the case, or is it the online aspect of the game or something...

DarkyDan

This comment does not make sense. So PC games don't have patches?

On-topic: Man that is a big patch, I honestly am worried about the size of patches that games like Destiny will be giving to us.

It was more about the ability to add hard drive space and move games around to whichever drive you wish.  With consoles you're pretty much stuck with the specs you get, and can't incrementally upgrade.  There are exceptions to the rule of course.

Brendeth

It was more about the ability to add hard drive space and move games around to whichever drive you wish.  With consoles you're pretty much stuck with the specs you get, and can't incrementally upgrade.  There are exceptions to the rule of course.

Apologies if I came out all defensive, I assumed you were just using this to be all "PC Master Race" haha, you have a very fair point in this. It's really only been a problem this generation, not having to install games on the X360 was awesome and is what lead me to preferring it over the PS3, didn't have to worry about all this disk space.

• Like 1
Raa

Geez that's a bit rough... Am getting a bit fed up with these massive day 1 patches... beta test your games more! :/

Lighthalzen

Wow... 5GB Patch. And back then when I thought 100MB was bad on Dial Up, lol.

Max Norris

Jesus that's not a patch.. that's "a ton of crap we didn't have ready in time to ship."

• Like 3
DarkyDan

Apologies if I came out all defensive, I assumed you were just using this to be all "PC Master Race" haha, you have a very fair point in this. It's really only been a problem this generation, not having to install games on the X360 was awesome and is what lead me to preferring it over the PS3, didn't have to worry about all this disk space.

I do come across as a PC snob sometimes, but with modern consoles I'm sure I'd have a lot of fun.. I just can't handle FPS's with a joypad, I'd need to plug keyboard and mouse into my PS4/XBONE, also for me personally any money spent on a console could go towards my PC

• Like 1
neoadorable

I do come across as a PC snob sometimes, but with modern consoles I'm sure I'd have a lot of fun.. I just can't handle FPS's with a joypad, I'd need to plug keyboard and mouse into my PS4/XBONE, also for me personally any money spent on a console could go towards my PC

Have to say you did sound like another PC elitist bashing consoles, Dan, so i didn't get why Brendeth was apologizing. While of course you're right about storage expandability, it is stating the obvious. PCs are...PCs :D

As for this patch, or rather this trend of patches, while i do get this perverse fuzzy feeling inside reading about them because it's that anticipation of more stuff, it is true that one must ask why this is happening? Game is already 20% of our available space on X1/PS4...now another wait before we can actually play it? Maybe look at the bright side, at least someone's still working on it and paying attention to stuff that needs fixing. Not so bright side: they should have done this months ago :cry:

neoadorable

HAIL IP-BASED-HYDRA! :devil:

• Like 1
DirtyLarry

Damn as much as I am looking forward to this game, I take this as not the best of news no matter how you slice it. Any game that requires a 5-7 GB patch on Day 1 is a game that was rushed. I truly cannot see it any other way.

Whether they fix the fact it was rushed or just or adding on top of the fact it was rushed is the major question.

• Like 2
spenser.d

I feel like the same things were probably said five or ten or twenty years ago about patch sizes then. That said they do seem peculiarly large. I personally don't care, but it does seem odd.

• Like 2
neoadorable

I thought Germany was finally softening on this stuff regarding games and nazism or rather, gore in general.

Nothing new though, every previous Wolfenstein had it :) In a way, it wouldnt be Wolfenstein without the german filter.

Very true, they might as well call it Wolfstone: Take Out Order and have COBRA as the villains instead of the Nazis. But it's their country, their land, their LAWS (not so subtle Viktor Reznov reference for the inititated :laugh: )

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Asher Madan
      Xbox Black Friday Sale features Battlefield, Dead Space, and more
      by Asher Madan

Every week, Microsoft and select publishers discount a number of titles for weekly Deals with Gold, Spotlight, and Publisher sales. This week, games from the Battlefield, Dead Space, and other franchises are available for substantially less. There's also a Black Friday and Cyber Monday sale going on.

Below, you'll find the Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 games with their respective discounts. Xbox Live Gold members receive additional discounts on a number of titles through the paid subscription which is denoted with an asterisk.

Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One
      Xbox 360
      Many of the Xbox 360 games appear to be backward compatible so you'll be able to play them on your Xbox One and the Xbox Series X|S. Currently, Microsoft isn't adding any more backward compatible titles to the program, but that should change in 2021.

Which titles are you interested in? Did you pick any up? Let us know in the comments below.

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: Halo 4 finally on PC, more Fluent icons, and optional updates
      by Florin Bodnarescu

The last week brought Halo 4 for the first time to PC players the world over, a Fluent Design upgrade for Edge icons showed up – as well as multiple new features -, plus some security fixes for a range of Windows 10 versions. You can find info about that, as well as much more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of November 15 - 21.

Halo 4 finally on PC

After much anticipation, the final title in the Master Chief Collection, aka Halo 4, has finally arrived on PC. Bringing cross-play support and a bunch of new enhancements, the game is now live on Steam, the Microsoft Store and Xbox Game Pass for PC. If you’re curious as to what exactly the title has to offer, do take a peek at the review that’s currently up, in which our very own Pulasthi Ariyasinghe calls the FPS a “satisfying conclusion to the Master Chief Collection”.

Continuing with the first-party news, Sea of Thieves has received its November update, complete with a range of bug fixes, upgrades to Treasure Vault voyages, performance improvements, and much, much more. The update comes in at 6GB on Windows 10, Xbox One X, and Xbox Series X, with the One S and Series S owners receiving a slightly smaller 5GB update. Steam owners are the luckiest with a measly 3.6GB required to download.

And since we mentioned it, before we get back to the game news, it’s worth interjecting with the fact that new Xbox Series S orders may arrive after the holidays. This is because, unsurprisingly, the Series S is out of stock.

Returning to first-party games, Minecraft has just gotten a new Star Wars-themed DLC, and if that’s not quite what you want to be playing this week, there’s always a bunch of Deals with Gold to browse, including ones for Code Vein, Dark Souls, Ace Combat 7, and much more.

Ending this section is a bit of gameplay from both the Xbox One X and Series X for CD Projekt RED’s upcoming open-world RPG, Cyberpunk 2077. Switching between the two consoles frequently, the video highlights interiors, exteriors, combat, and other NPC interactions.

More Fluent icons

Regardless of your opinion of the new Edge, one major change in comparison to the Legacy version is that the browser gets updated more frequently than before.

As such, everybody in the Dev and Canary channels can now start using the text comments in PDFs feature. If you haven’t gotten it yet, the Dev build is 88.0.702, in case you want to try out this capability.

There are also new features added to Edge this month, like an improved copy-paste experience, better integration with Bing rewards, new shopping features, and much more.

Staying on the subject of improvements, now when you open history, it will show a pop-up window which allows you to more easily navigate through your previously opened links. Furthermore, you’re now able to pin a history icon next to the address bar for easy access.

Microsoft was also eager to share the fact that Edge WebView2 is now available for .NET. This, for folks not aware, is the Chromium Edge equivalent of Project Spartan’s (old Edge) EdgeHTML-based WebView. Additionally, the Redmond firm also aims to stop Chromium browsers from launching with elevated privileges.

Finally, for those of you who wish the company would just stop for a second and update everything to its (for now) unified Fluent Design system, there’s good news. Chromium Edge is going to be getting a new set icons to bring the entire experience more in line with the company’s design aesthetic du jour. The first phase is currently being rolled out.

Optional updates

If you’ve been running Windows 10 for a while, you’ll be aware that Microsoft also releases optional updates from time to time, beyond its Patch Tuesday patches.

If you’re on 1809, or the October 2018 Update, you’ll get KB4594442, which bumps up the build number to 17763.1579 and addresses a security bug with Kerberos authentication and ticket renewal. If you’re running the Anniversary Update (1607), that same fix will come through for you as KB4594441, bumping the build number up to 14393.4048, while folks on the May 2019 Update (1903) and November 2019 Update (1909) will be getting KB4594443, with builds 18362.1199 and 18363.1199, respectively.

Finally, those on either the May 2020 Update (2004) or October 2020 Update (20H2) will receive KB4594440, with builds 19041.631 and 19042.631.

Microsoft was busy releasing even more builds however, so here’s what else you need to be on the lookout for:

May 2019 Update / November 2019 Update (1903/1909): KB4586819, builds 18362.1237 / 18363.1237 – fixes a bug that causes Edge to open in the background when the device is in tablet mode, as well as bugs with USB 3.0 hubs, Narrator, and WMR headsets running in lower resolution modes. October 2018 Update (1809) Enterprise, Education: KB4586839, build 17763.1613 – fixes the same bugs for the version above, as well as the issue which may cause the HDD to fill up in certain error situations. The known issues for all updates above remain the same ones outlined in the Patch Tuesday wave of updates.

In other news, Microsoft will not release any optional Windows 10 cumulative updates in December. This applies to preview updates (so basically A, C, and D wave updates, rather the B wave ones which come with Patch Tuesday every month). This is due to “minimal operations during the holidays and the upcoming Western new year”.

Over in the Insider Dev channel, the company unleashed build 20262 with a number of fixes, as well as 20262.1010, the of which was simply a Cumulative Update to test out the servicing pipeline.

Dev channel
      Polls in Teams meetings have now started rolling out. New Power Apps and Dataverse are now generally available for Teams. Photoshop Beta is now available for ARM-based Windows 10 and macOS devices. WinUI 3 Preview 3 is now out, featuring ARM64 support. Dynamics 365 Project Operations has been announced, aimed at service-based businesses in India. Microsoft 365 is now available from datacenters in Brazil. The November updates for Microsoft 365 include new Teams apps, among other features. Teams personal features are now rolling out on desktop and the web. The Surface Studio 2 has gotten new firmware updates to fix audio performance and stability, with the Go 2 and Book 3 now available for purchase in India. Logging off
      We cap things off with a new security chip that Microsoft intends to introduce for Windows-based devices.

In what the firm will be dubbing Pluton going forward, Microsoft has announced essentially the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip equivalent, but integrated on the SoC.

Seen in other solutions like the Xbox consoles or Azure Sphere, this is basically an intersection of software and hardware to provide the benefits of TPM chips in terms of security, but (currently) none of the drawbacks. Specifically, since TPM is separate from the CPU, perpetrators are able to target the channel between the CPU and TPM chip with their attacks.

Working with AMD, Intel, and Qualcomm on the solution – with AMD being the first to use it -, Microsoft says that the Pluton chip will work with BitLocker and System Guard, and that information can’t be removed from the chip via malware or any other way.

Integrated with Windows Update in the same way Azure Sphere Security Service integrates with IoT devices, the chip will make sure that firmware updates come directly from Microsoft.

There’s currently no word as to when we’ll be seeing the chip’s debut in PCs.

Missed any of the previous columns? Be sure to have a look right here.

• By indospot
      Razer launches Wolverine V2 controller for Xbox and PC with Mecha-Tactile buttons
      by João Carrasqueira

Razer has announced a new version of its Wolverine wired controller for Xbox consoles - including the new Series X|S and Xbox One - as well as PC. The Wolverine V2 is a wired controller, just like its predecessors, and it packs a couple of improvements over its predecessors.

First, it has a new design with a more curved grip that should fit more comfortably in the user's hands. On top of that, the grips use rubber instead of plastic, making them less slippery during longer play sessions.

The face buttons are also using Razer Mecha-Tactile switches, which offer a lower actuation distance of 0.65mm compared to traditional membrane buttons. Previous Wolverine controllers also did this, but the V2 also has a Mecha-Tactile D-Pad, which is shaped like a cross now, instead of being four separate buttons. The Mecha-Tactile buttons are rated for three million presses, so they should be fairly durable. As for the shoulder triggers, Razer has built in a Hair Trigger Mode, which reduces the travel distance needed to actuate the triggers. This can be useful in online games where quick reaction times are crucial.

The Wolverine V2 is the cheapest of the Wolverine controllers, so it does make some sacrifices compared to the Wolverine Ultimate and Tournament Edition. There's no Razer Chroma RGB lighting on this model, and the "quick access" buttons at the bottom of the Wolverine Ultimate are also not here. Additionally, you only get two customizable multi-function buttons next to the shoulder buttons and triggers, while other models had four (in the Tournament Edition) or six (in the Wolverine Ultimate). These buttons can be customized with the Razer Controller Setup app for Xbox, which can also be used to adjust thumbstick sensitivity.

The Razer Wolverine V2 is available today directly from Razer for $99.99/€119.99.

• By Usman Khan Lodhi
      Fortnite receives in-game video chat thanks to Houseparty
      by Usman Khan Lodhi

Epic Games announced today that it is integrating Fortnite with Houseparty, letting players see their friends while they play the game together. Users will be required to install the Houseparty app on an iOS or Android device and connect their Houseparty account to their Epic Games account. Those doing so will receive the Rainbow Fog Wrap as a reward.

Initially, the feature will only be available to PC, PS4, and PS5 gamers. Using their phones, players will be able to connect to Houseparty, and the video chat will be shown in-game. Epic has detailed the process of bringing video chat into Fortnite:

The video chat will only display player faces and replace the background with a Fortnite-themed image. Epic has emphasized that the service is restricted to people aged 13 or more. In the parental settings menu, there is an option to turn off the feature. Epic didn't say whether the feature will be made available to other games.

• By Asher Madan
      Xbox Deals with Gold feature Code Vein, Dark Souls, and more
      by Asher Madan

Every week, Microsoft and select publishers discount a number of titles for weekly Deals with Gold, Spotlight, and Publisher sales. This week, games from the Dark Souls, Dragon Ball, and other franchises are available for substantially less.

Below, you'll find the Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 games with their respective discounts. Xbox Live Gold members receive additional discounts on a number of titles through the paid subscription which is denoted with an asterisk.

Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One
      Xbox 360
      Many of the Xbox 360 games appear to be backward compatible so you'll be able to play them on your Xbox One and the Xbox Series X|S. Currently, Microsoft isn't adding any more backward compatible titles to the program, but that should change in 2021.

Which titles are you interested in? Did you pick any up? Let us know in the comments below.