HawkMan

Heheh i don't know, can't help but like the guy! Don't diss him too much, he'll challenge you to a boxing match

I'll get a ringer, I'm sure I could find a pro boxer that hates him. Must be at least one who's seen one of his movies.

• Like 1
DeltaXray

I feel sorry for anyone who got this on steam and has a bandwidth cap without being aware of it's download size. Over a 40gb install.

Why should a game not be 40gb? It is 2014 not 1994. If you cannot handle a 40gb download then you should not be relying on digital games, that is why they still release discs.

• Like 2
+trag3dy

Why should a game not be 40gb? It is 2014 not 1994. If you cannot handle a 40gb download then you should not be relying on digital games, that is why they still release discs.

Maybe I'm just completely clueless but why should a game be 40gb? Uncompressed sound files and textures? What for?

Besides that I didn't say I had a bandwidth cap did I? But some people do and to find out the game requires close to a 50gb download after buying it may come as a shock to some.

Yes I'm aware the game says it recommends 50gb for storage in the system reqs. I never would have guessed it actually takes 50gb though.

• Like 1
duddit2

good bit of gameplay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvIlO6pKA6Y

Maybe I'm just completely clueless but why should a game be 40gb? Uncompressed sound files and textures? What for?

Besides that I didn't say I had a bandwidth cap did I? But some people do and to find out the game requires close to a 50gb download after buying it may come as a shock to some.

Yes I'm aware the game says it recommends 50gb for storage in the system reqs. I never would have guessed it actually takes 50gb though.

possibly because compressed means it has to be uncompressed = time and resources simply to make the install smaller in a time where storage is very very cheap. I would choose performance over a little storage optimisation any day.

Also anyone with a bandwidth cap would most likely be buying disks, I'm sorry but catering for the lowest denominator only holds things back, if your locked into a bandwidth cap then I'm sorry (not you I mean anyone) but I'm not and you don't have to buy digital, you can buy disks instead so there is your option.

DeltaXray

I would imagine because of the amount of high-res cutscenes in the game. Being a lengthy single-player only game with a heavy focus on story and cinematic presentation, there are a LOT and i'd imagine they take up a lot of space.

Whinging about the size of a game seems pointless when they provide a disk-based version for those that have data caps (although that doesn't excuse that day-one patch :/ ) .  Anyone who has a small data cap and is not checking out the file size of things before they download them is asking for trouble anyway.  The info isn't secret.  If size is an issue then you check it out beforehand. If its not then just crack on.  Everyone wins :)

+Anarkii

My copy arrived today. First impressions:

- That day-one patch. Wow. :(

- Graphics: actually pretty good. The videos make it look awful but on PS4 on my TV it actually looks good. Some good lighting and particle effects. Feels very smooth as well.

- Gameplay - very wolfenstein. I like the old school feel. For nostalgia I like the return to medpacks for example mixed with being a bit up to date where it regenerates if you get too low but only up to I think 20%.

Overall, I've only spent about half an hour with it so far but it has pleasantly surprised me. Hearing what some people were saying (clearly based off videos and not hands on) had me regretting the pre order but so far am very glad I kept it. Seems like it will be a lot of fun.

I thought all that as well but want to point out you guys really need to get past the asylum stage, then the game really begins to shine. And even feels like another game. My take is to push though the starting level until the asylum and the game will really start then. 

Everything from the original is there, even the secret rooms, the picking up of the golden chalices, everything. No one who played the originals would be disappointed by this. So far, its really good. Also the day-one patch isn't necessary but recommended. 

• Like 1
McKay

Yayy!  :/

post-350302-0-81538400-1400587470.jpg

• Like 1
DeltaXray

I thought all that as well but want to point out you guys really need to get past the asylum stage, then the game really begins to shine. And even feels like another game. My take is to push though the starting level until the asylum and the game will really start then. 

Everything from the original is there, even the secret rooms, the picking up of the golden chalices, everything. No one who played the originals would be disappointed by this. So far, its really good. Also the day-one patch isn't necessary but recommended. 

Agreed, near the end of my 4 hour stretch yesterday it had the feeling that it was getting better and better the further into the game I got.  Actually quite impatient to get home and play some more :)

From what i've read online, the 'decision' made early on actually warrants a second playthrough.  I don't know exactly how much difference it makes but by that i'm imagining a fair amount, so this game should have some longevity.

• Like 1
DirtyLarry

Well I pick up my copy on my lunch break. Then have to let the massive patch install. So I might be able to get in a little time this evening to play, will see.

If not, I have off from work Thursday & Friday and definitely plan on playing some then. Really looking forward to it.

I love that I am reading it is like RTCW. That is all I personally wanted. That game with better visuals is all I need to have fun.

• Like 1
presence06

IGN, Polygon and Destructoid all give it pretty decent reviews, avg of about 7.5-8 for it.

I get mine today, can't wait to play this :)

• Like 1
McKay

Well I pick up my copy on my lunch break. Then have to let the massive patch install. So I might be able to get in a little time this evening to play, will see.

If not, I have off from work Thursday & Friday and definitely plan on playing some then. Really looking forward to it.

I love that I am reading it is like RTCW. That is all I personally wanted. That game with better visuals is all I need to have fun.

I loved that game, I had the original Xbox version, which featured coop campaign, I think its a shame it wasn't an option with this. 

I adore coop campaigns, and including it satisfies everyone, the people who think it should remain a solo experience get to play it by themselves, and people like me who enjoy more social gaming get to have a blast with friends. 

• Like 1
neoadorable

Hahaha you're not clueless, and while i agree with Delta's response 100% that this isn't 1994, i don't think you're complaining, it's fair question. But as a seasoned gamer surely you saw this coming. I mean, but this time next decade games will be in the 100's of GB, it's just the way things are. Data caps need to go away NOW, they're ridiculous if enforced. Indeed, data caps ARE 1994.

I get a good feeling all over seeing these huge file sizes :D funny thinking that the PS4 "patch" was 5GB, when Skyrim in 2011 was like 6GB hahaha.

As for Wolfy, game's nice, only played like 30 mins though, still in the prologue. Looks like Rage did on my PC in ultra settings back in 2011, with higher detail/res up close but lower detail/res for distant textures and objects. Even has the same weird id Tech thing where the physics are off...like shooting a can will not make it bounce etc.

Seems to move at a very fast framerate. Nice gameplay, though a little clunky. Overall promising i'd say!

Glad people are enjoying it :laugh:

neoadorable

I'll get a ringer, I'm sure I could find a pro boxer that hates him. Must be at least one who's seen one of his movies.

Don't tease him, or next he'll make Fight Night Round Zero...with Nazi Zombies! And somehow get EA to license it to him for free. That always gets me. He manages to get game companies to give him permission basically for free. But Wolfenstein can't release uncut in Germany...i think they're censoring the wrong offenders :laugh:

DeltaXray

It's the same problem as Naughty Dog said they were having with The Last of Us Remastered. Now they're rendering all the cutscenes in 1080p and all the in game assets are high res they are having a tough time squeezing it all onto a bluray. So we can expect that download to be around the same size :D

Given that the ps4 has dedicated hardware just for uncompression it is amazing to think that that must be the compressed size as there would be no reason to put it on there uncompressed. Think what it must be unzipped!

• Like 1
neoadorable

It's the same problem as Naughty Dog said they were having with The Last of Us Remastered. Now they're rendering all the cutscenes in 1080p and all the in game assets are high res they are having a tough time squeezing it all onto a bluray. So we can expect that download to be around the same size :D

Given that the ps4 has dedicated hardware just for uncompression it is amazing to think that that must be the compressed size as there would be no reason to put it on there uncompressed. Think what it must be unzipped!

I'd rather not think of yours unzipped...oh you mean the game :rofl:

Must be quite big. Nice and big :s

• Like 1
.Ruby

I don't understand the logic behind this kind of censorship, it's as if the context of the game will be completely misplaced. It's a mature rated title to begin with, and it just treats adult consumers like children who are too innocent for their own good.

• Like 2
DirtyLarry

Before I get to the game, just felt it was worth mentioning, I had the game installed, patched included, within 15 minutes TOTAL on my PS4. It is truly amazing how much better Sony has gotten this generation in regards to game install and download times. Really is night and day difference. So that was a very pleasant surprised. But I digress...

I only got to check the game out for 45 minutes total, so this is very early, initial impressions, but so far so good. It is a CLASSIC FPS. Make no mistake about it. I know this is going to turn people off, quite a few perhaps, but for myself, it is like visiting an old dear friend I have not seen in many years, and picking up right where we left off. From what I have read from other peoples impressions, I am in the boring part of the game still as well. So that is fantastic news.

My one and only criticism, and I see I am not alone in this, is the audio. It is really bad. Like cannot hear voices over everything else bad. And that is not good considering in the very beginning of the game, the voice you hear is literally telling you exactly what you have to do. Since there are no waypoints, that can make things get a tad confusing indeed. You can bring up your map to clarify things, but still, it seems like a pretty major oversight. I recommend enabling subtitles right away.

Other than that issue, I love everything else, and really feel like I have not seen anything yet and it is only going to get better. 

• Like 1
DeltaXray

Snip

Yeah the game definitely opens up and gets much better (even though I didn't think the intro was bad at all) after the first couple hours.

Odd that you are having sound issues. You playing through an AV receiver or headphones? I'm just playing through a soundbar and it sounds normal, just like any other game. Although I found it funny that with the subtitles, if you select foreign language only it still subtitles the Scottish haha

DeltaXray

Wow!  I just found the

Wolfenstein 3D mini game! :D

That put a huge smile on my face

• Like 1
neoadorable

Before I get to the game, just felt it was worth mentioning, I had the game installed, patched included, within 15 minutes TOTAL on my PS4. It is truly amazing how much better Sony has gotten this generation in regards to game install and download times. Really is night and day difference. So that was a very pleasant surprised. But I digress...

I only got to check the game out for 45 minutes total, so this is very early, initial impressions, but so far so good. It is a CLASSIC FPS. Make no mistake about it. I know this is going to turn people off, quite a few perhaps, but for myself, it is like visiting an old dear friend I have not seen in many years, and picking up right where we left off. From what I have read from other peoples impressions, I am in the boring part of the game still as well. So that is fantastic news.

My one and only criticism, and I see I am not alone in this, is the audio. It is really bad. Like cannot hear voices over everything else bad. And that is not good considering in the very beginning of the game, the voice you hear is literally telling you exactly what you have to do. Since there are no waypoints, that can make things get a tad confusing indeed. You can bring up your map to clarify things, but still, it seems like a pretty major oversight. I recommend enabling subtitles right away.

Other than that issue, I love everything else, and really feel like I have not seen anything yet and it is only going to get better. 

This one downloaded and installed super quick, i think it had priority or something because Transistor, which is only like 3GB, took literally over two hours to download.

You are right about the sound, the levels are way too low for voice - you can barely hear people. And subtitles are all over the place. I have it set to "foreign only", yet Fergus Reid gets subtitled but the American GIs are not. I don't think Andrew and Gavin will like this :laugh:

Still in the intro sequence, climbing a certain wall...but so far really good experience, except i disagree that it's like a 90's game. It's very much just Rage in terms of shooting, though of course the health and armor are old school. Do love the maps and the collectibles, very good.

One thing i find surprising is the mood: so far it's quite serious, and does a Killzone by making the Nazis seem sympathetic to an extent. I was expecting an over the top romp that will have me laughing the whole time, but so far it's quite straightfaced. Blazko even gives people breathing exercise advice.

Then again still early in the experience, and it's very good overall, just not what i expected.

LOC

So I take it the Day One 5GB patch is console only? Cuz I sure haven't gotten any patches yet for Wolf, let alone a 5GB patch.

Also, game is awesome. Love it so far. And the story, is actually good??! Who saw that coming really.

• Like 1
McKay

Snip

Snip

I had to turn subtitles on too, if I turn the volume up loud enough to hear them, the gunfire is too loud. I admit I've gotten lost so many times too! :D On some occasions of me wondering around lost for 10 minutes it has put one out of sympathy though.

Slow and steady progress though as I'm playing through on Uber for my first playthrough. Played for 2 nights and I'm on the Bridge Level. Health only regenning up to 20, twinned with getting killed in 2-3 bullets makes for a frustrating experience.

Some of my failings have been documented here :D

http://www.twitch.tv/mckay91/profile/pastBroadcasts 

• Like 1
neoadorable

I had to turn subtitles on too, if I turn the volume up loud enough to hear them, the gunfire is too loud. I admit I've gotten lost so many times too! :D On some occasions of me wondering around lost for 10 minutes it has put one out of sympathy though.

Slow and steady progress though as I'm playing through on Uber for my first playthrough. Played for 2 nights and I'm on the Bridge Level. Health only regenning up to 20, twinned with getting killed in 2-3 bullets makes for a frustrating experience.

Some of my failings have been documented here :D

http://www.twitch.tv/mckay91/profile/pastBroadcasts 

Can't watch Twitch on this PC, but will later. Uber difficulty...good idea. Playing on normal and so far it is too easy. The regular troops drop in 2-3 shots and barely cause any damage.

Getting lost is a possibility, this is like a much more open Rage, with intertwining passageways. I keep mentioning Rage because they really are similar!

The maps are very useful, better than holding that grenade :laugh:

McKay

Can't watch Twitch on this PC, but will later. Uber difficulty...good idea. Playing on normal and so far it is too easy. The regular troops drop in 2-3 shots and barely cause any damage.

Getting lost is a possibility, this is like a much more open Rage, with intertwining passageways. I keep mentioning Rage because they really are similar!

The maps are very useful, better than holding that grenade :laugh:

They did the harder difficult right on this game, too many devs fall into the trap of "Make the enemies ultra accurate bullet sponges". On this difficulty you just die so incredibly easy. 

• Like 1
neoadorable

I don't understand the logic behind this kind of censorship, it's as if the context of the game will be completely misplaced. It's a mature rated title to begin with, and it just treats adult consumers like children who are too innocent for their own good.

The first people to revolt against this nanny state nonsense are German gamers, who are forced to become de facto criminals by driving to Denmark or France or somewhere and pickup a non-censored copy. It is quite silly, really. If those symbols are allowed in history books and in Saving Private Ryan, they need to be allowed in Wolfenstein.

• Like 1