Just played some more tonight

got past the Asylum level and to the farm house with Anya's family

and I really do love everything so far.

What I mean by old school is the health packs, picking up all items, and lack of waypoints and relying on a map. That is a pretty damn old school approach on all 3 counts when comparing it to modern day FPS's. I personally love it though. I dig exploring every nook and cranny.

With that said what is very modern about the game is all of the subtle nuances and the perks system, which is really incredibly well done. All achievable but made in a way so it forces you to try different gameplay approaches you may not have tried otherwise. The one and only perk I am struggling with is the getting kills while sliding. I sucked at doing that in Bulletstorm as well. So no shocker there I am struggling with it here.

So yeah I just cannot stress enough how I am getting exactly all I wanted out of the game. That is to have Fun. I do hope I find the time to beat it prior to Watch Dogs being released, as I know I am going to get sucked into that something serious. Even if I do the great thing about this game is they also really did design it in such a way it will be a whole lot of fun to pick it up again even if you have not played it in months. Especially with the aforementioned perks system.

I can say I would imagine this game is not for everyone. With that said it is definitely for me. Loving every minute of it so far. (Y)

• Like 1

I don't understand the logic behind this kind of censorship, it's as if the context of the game will be completely misplaced. It's a mature rated title to begin with, and it just treats adult consumers like children who are too innocent for their own good.

The first people to revolt against this nanny state nonsense are German gamers, who are forced to become de facto criminals by driving to Denmark or France or somewhere and pickup a non-censored copy. It is quite silly, really. If those symbols are allowed in history books and in Saving Private Ryan, they need to be allowed in Wolfenstein.

You guys have this all wrong, they can't show this stuff because it can drastically effect the German way of life. It should be common knowledge that if any German citizen sees Nazi Propaganda they instinctively dream of building up the Fourth Reich :shifty:

• Like 1

You guys have this all wrong, they can't show this stuff because it can drastically effect the German way of life. It should be common knowledge that if any German citizen sees Nazi Propaganda they instinctively dream of building up the Fourth Reich :shifty:

Yeah because German people have such fond memories of WWII, the destruction, having their country hijacked by a bunch of moron lunatics, millions dead...who wouldn't want to have that again instead of boring peace, prosperity, and a cosmopolitan democracy? Oh wait on that last one...

Just played some more tonight

got past the Asylum level and to the farm house with Anya's family

and I really do love everything so far.

What I mean by old school is the health packs, picking up all items, and lack of waypoints and relying on a map. That is a pretty damn old school approach on all 3 counts when comparing it to modern day FPS's. I personally love it though. I dig exploring every nook and cranny.

With that said what is very modern about the game is all of the subtle nuances and the perks system, which is really incredibly well done. All achievable but made in a way so it forces you to try different gameplay approaches you may not have tried otherwise. The one and only perk I am struggling with is the getting kills while sliding. I sucked at doing that in Bulletstorm as well. So no shocker there I am struggling with it here.

So yeah I just cannot stress enough how I am getting exactly all I wanted out of the game. That is to have Fun. I do hope I find the time to beat it prior to Watch Dogs being released, as I know I am going to get sucked into that something serious. Even if I do the great thing about this game is they also really did design it in such a way it will be a whole lot of fun to pick it up again even if you have not played it in months. Especially with the aforementioned perks system.

I can say I would imagine this game is not for everyone. With that said it is definitely for me. Loving every minute of it so far. (Y)

Agree with everything you said (Y) In a way it is actually quite cathartic in that I didn't realise just how much I missed this exact type of game.  Everything is here and i'm having a LOT of fun playing it.  It only gets better and better from the stage you are at!

Ja volle!

This game is awesome. It is now a three way tie for GOTY with Dark Souls 2 and Titanfall. To think we've come from 1992 Wolfy (not even mentioning the 80's games) to this...mind blowing. This should be shown to anyone that doubts games have merit.

Am amazed that friggin BJ is now a proper character - i mean, he's human. Not just a pixelated face on a screen. The other characters are also great, i'd say shooting takes a backseat here. The thought-voice of BJ when he observes certain things is superbly done...sounds like lines straight out of a Terence Malick movie.

I know many members have found this to be a return to old school, but to me it's a huge subversion of that. It manages to prove that you can have seemingly ridiculous mechanics like health pack healing and magical armor while still texturing the world with genuinely heartfelt stories.

I just wish Machinegames fix the damn sound levels, you can barely hear people when they talk sometimes.

Before I started playing the game I saw a few people on other forums saying this game was comparable to Half Life 2. I thought to myself what kind of crack head would have the nerve to say that.

Well I am on Chapter 6 myself right now and I have to say I totally get it. This game is that damn good, and unless something goes horribly wrong, it will go down for myself as one of the best FPS's ever made.

Not even kidding. It is that good.

Sound not included, it is right up there with some of the best overall gunplay ever. Just amazing how much they nailed each gun having it's own feel and characteristics.

I totally did not expect to think so highly of this game.

It is the best First Person Shooter to be released in years. Years.

So damn good.

I actually discovered tonight that the developer behind this game has some of the ex employees of Starbreeze, who made the criminally underrated Riddick and Darkness games.

These dudes (and gals I am guessing) know their stuff with this genre. No doubt about it. They are a force to be reckon with.

• Like 1

It is indeed an excellent experience, there's no doubt it stands up there with the likes of HL2. Surprised you didn't know already Machinegames are mostly Starbreeze folks, once i found that out i knew we were in for a treat. The Darkness and the two Riddick games were amazing for their time.

This is definitely one of the most surprising discoveries in a while, like Spec Ops the Line. You expect a dumb and simple experience, you get a treatise on human existence that STILL manages to be an awesomely fun game. This is art.

Spoken to a few people who have played this and all seemed to have missed the easter-egg.

I've wrapped it in spoiler tags because it was an unexpected surprise when I found it I thought i'd not ruin it if you would rather stumble on it, but it seems like some people aren't exploring as much as they should be :rofl:

To play Wolfenstein 3D: Go to the top floor of the resistance hideout and one of the corners is a mattress. Go over to it and it will say 'nightmare' rather than 'sleep'.  1992 all over again :D

I've been playing it quite a bit - it's not bad at all. LOVE the sniper rifle - need more sniper action though.

Some parts I was "wtf - how do I get passed this?" (Chopper level) - but a bit of using that grey matter in my skull saw me beat it. 

I think I am just over 3rd of the way through (according to the achievements)... I never even looked if there was a multiplayer experience! lol

One thing I am doing a lot is switching between keyboard/mouse and gamepad. I know I can re-bind the keys, but on the levels where you have to run and jump, I find it awkward doing it on a tight ledge so flick to the gamepad for that.

Also agree with how good it is. Slight sound issues apart, this is easily the best FPS single player game I have played for a good few years. It feels like a good old shooter mixed with elements of the new.

There is no better feeling than walking into a room with dual wielding shotguns and unleashing hell. :)

• Like 3

Yup, it doesn't really affect the game at all. It's still a good game nazi logo or Wolfenstein logo. Even the dialog changes seem well done and doesn't affect the tone of the game.

• Like 1

Love this game so far... I have purposely not played it in a single sitting to not finish it so soon.  :)

Will probably go back and find missing stuff after i finish it.  I think I am on Chapter 13 atm.

• Like 1

Played the hell out of it, bored now... :(

After dying 18 times in the space of half an hour at the same point I've taken a break from it :D

• Like 1

Playing it on Uber difficulty on first playthrough

Same here, hence the dying repeatedly on the same spot, I start my checkpoint with 20 health, and come under immediate fire from 2 Armoured Minigun Nazis, plus 4-5 regulars.

If you fast forward to 52:30 you'll see my predicament :D

http://www.twitch.tv/mckay91/b/530919493

• Like 2

Looks like you missed the health that you can get before jumping back on the helicopter (its to the left of that checkpoint) at 49m and some change.  Probably shouldn't use the minigun on the heli either and just get off to save some health.

Just received. Too bad Bluray never became standard on PC :/

• Like 2

Ugh, watched a video of the game (not a review, just an opinion piece) on Youtube and the dude totally spoiled the ending. Not sure if I even want to finish the game anymore. Especially since I'm truly into the story and love the characters, especially BJ.

Then again, the gun play is terrific, so I'll probably keep killing Nazi's.

• Like 1

But the Robots everythere is not what i expected. I tried to avoid the reviews so I get no spoils.

I liked the occult nazi alt universe better then tech, for some reason.

Currently at the start of Chapter 10.

Seriously this game is perfect. It truly is.

The fact it currently is only at a 78 right now on metacritic is a travesty. It seriously is. I think high 80's low 90's is much more where it should be.

With the exception of the first hour, they really have perfect pacing with the game. They know when to dial things back and just let you do things at your own leisure, and then when to throw you into the thick of things.

And really the best part of the game is just how viable of an option stealth truly is.

Now that I know the minds behind the Riddick games are responsible for the game, it truly makes so much sense.

The whole

resistance hangout is truly reminiscent of the cell blocks in Riddick. And then actually there was the whole scene when you are in the jail trying to break the one character out, and again, just so much like the Riddick games.

Which I really thought were such damn good games on their own.

I just think they would have been much better off changing up the first hour or so to better reflect what people could expect with the rest of the game.

So far it is my GOTY. Hands down.

• Like 1