Formula 1 World Championship 2014 Season Discussion

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the 2014 World Driver's Championship?

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Kimi Raikkonen
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Pastor Maldonado
    • Jenson Button
    • Kevin Magnussen
    • Nico Hulkenberg
    • Sergio Perez
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Esteban Gutierrez
    • Jean-Eric Vergne
    • Daniil Kvyat
    • Felipe Massa
    • Valterri Bottas
    • Jules Bianchi
    • Max Chilton
    • Kamui Kobayashi
    • Marcus Ericsson
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the World Constructor's Championship?

• Infiniti Red Bull Racing
    • Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Lotus F1 Team
    • McLaren Mercedes
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Williams Martini Racing
    • Marussia F1 Team
    • Caterham F1 Team

:rofl:  hamilton.... he needs a styling expert because this ..... i mean i have no words for this

1414689607.jpg

The stewards of the United States Grand Prix have confirmed details of revisions to the qualifying procedure due to the reduced field of 18 teams owing to the absence of Marussia and Caterham.

This has been necessary as the FIA Sporting Regulations are written on the assumption that a minimum of 22 cars will compete, with six being eliminated in Q1 and a further six in Q2.

The stewards have ruled that four drivers will be eliminated in both Q1 and Q2, leaving ten cars to participate in Q3 as usual.

In a statement the stewards said: ?In view of the non-participation of two teams in the 2014 United States Grand Prix, the Stewards have been requested to clarify the format for Qualifying Practice.

?Accordingly, under the authority granted to the stewards in Article 11.9 of the International Sporting Code, and having regard to the principles established in the Formula One Sporting Regulations Article 33.1, the stewards decide that the slowest four cars in Q1 will prohibited from taking any further part in the session, and the slowest four cars in Q2 will likewise be prohibited from taking any further part in the session.?

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/10/30/stewards-confirm-qualifying-changes-austin/

Red Bull confirmed last night that during this weekend?s US Grand Prix Daniel Ricciardo will be missing part of his beard.

?Dan used up his season?s allocation of five razors,? explained a team insider. ?All our data told us the final one was about to fail and we had to ask him to stop shaving immediately, even though he?d only done his chin.?

The Australian driver will now take a penalty, that penalty being to spend the rest of the weekend walking around looking like a cheery Amish man doing a bad impression of Wolverine.

:rofl: http://sniffpetrol.com/2014/10/31/red-bull-confirm-ricciardo-missing-out/#.VFNvjpCsVjl

Daniil Kvyat has become the third driver to receive a grid penalty for the United States Grand Prix.

The Toro Rosso driver will be moved back ten places on the grid after changing to his seventh internal combustion engine (ICE) of the season. He is the first driver this year to take a seventh power unit component this season.

Jenson Button has already been given a five-place grid penalty for a gearbox change and Sebastian Vettel will start from the pits having changed his entire power unit.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/11/01/kvyat-joins-button-vettel-grid-penalty/

this was impressive from rosberg and not so much from hamilton. but my impression is that this year hami sets up his car more for the race and rosberg more for the qualifying, so we will see tomorrow what happens.

Bernie Ecclestone: Big F1 teams must make sacrifices in cost crisis

Bernie Ecclestone says top Formula 1 teams are going to have to make sacrifices to solve the cost crisis, and admitted financial structures he had put in place were wrong.

In a surprise confession that commercial arrangements agreed with teams had contributed to F1's current woes, he said that only assistance from the big outfits could now help him sort matters out.

"The problem is there is too much money probably being distributed badly - probably my fault," said Ecclestone in a lengthy media briefing at Austin on Saturday.

"But like lots of agreements people make, they seemed a good idea at the time."

When asked if he regretted the deals in question, he replied: "If the company belonged to me I would have done things in a different way because it would have been my money I was dealing with.

"But I work for people who are in the business to make money."

Redistribution of money

One idea Ecclestone mooted is for the big teams to contribute a share of their prize money towards a fund for the smaller outfits.

"We have to open the eyes of those people in a position to turn the lights on and off to what they need to do," he said.

"I wouldn't want to be in a position where I was too strong, F1 disappears and someone says it is because of you it disappeared.

"I said to people getting a chunk of money that I would like to take a percentage of their performance-related payment.

"I would put that money together to divide among the three or four we know are in trouble but are not going to run away with the money, and then I will put in the same amount of money."

However, Ecclestone admits that getting such a fund together would not be easy because F1 rules allow teams to block such changes.

"We have to decide the best way to sort this whole thing out. Frankly, I know what's wrong but don't know how to fix it.

"No one is prepared to do anything about it because they can't. The regulations have tied us up.

"We can't all sit back nicely relaxed and think the problem will go away. It's not like having the flu and taking a few tablets and it will disappear.

"I think the situation is such that if enough people want it resolved, we can resolve it. It's a case of the people that are involved in the sport will have to want to look after the sport and be prepared to make some sacrifices.

"I would tear all the contracts up. Take all the money, pay all the teams' debts that should be paid so people haven't suffered because of Formula 1."

No boycott threat

Ecclestone denied there was a threat of a boycott this season, even though Force India's Bob Fernley repeatedly suggested it was an option.

"Forget all that crap," Ecclestone said. "I promise they will be racing. They will be racing, I give you a guarantee - but I worry if they will be racing next year."

He also played down the possibility of three-car teams.

"Forget third cars," he said. "Nobody can afford two cars."

Source: Autosport

Very impressive from Rosberg. I thought Hamilton had it in the bag based off of FP.

Thankfully we have two good drivers fighting for the championship. This was the problem with the Vettel era. Webber just wasn't doing the job to keep up Vettel, which obviously made the championship very boring.

It is going to go to the last race. I just hope it isn't determined by double points.

Ever since spa Rosberg has lost pretty much every straight battle he's faced with Hamilton. I'm not sure if it's due to a loss of confidence from the very public spanking the team gave him, or whether Hamilton has just upped his game but it's very impressive to watch. Broke the British record for GP wins as well. More importantly he's now in a position where he could come second in the double points finale and still take the title, which I'm sure will relieve him a great deal (as long as he finishes at least 2nd in Brazil).

Roll on Brazil, always a dramatic race.

Ever since spa Rosberg has lost pretty much every straight battle he's faced with Hamilton. I'm not sure if it's due to a loss of confidence from the very public spanking the team gave him, or whether Hamilton has just upped his game but it's very impressive to watch. Broke the British record for GP wins as well. More importantly he's now in a position where he could come second in the double points finale and still take the title, which I'm sure will relieve him a great deal (as long as he finishes at least 2nd in Brazil).

Roll on Brazil, always a dramatic race.

He's definitely been rattled which is a shame, he was on track for the title. Now sadly I think that is going to Hamilton :(

convincing win for hami there. honestly before the season ever started i never thought rosberg would be able to be that close to hami for such a long time. all expected 2nd title now for hamilton.

US GP: Sergio Perez punished for 'reckless' crash with Adrian Sutil

Sergio Perez will take a seven-place grid penalty for the next Formula 1 race in Brazil, after the FIA found him guilty of reckless driving in the US Grand Prix.

Force India F1 racer Perez collided with the Sauber of Adrian Sutil on the opening lap of Sunday's race at Austin, putting both out of the event and causing a safety car period.

The stewards have slapped Perez with a seven-place grid penalty and two penalty points on his licence for causing the collision.

An FIA statement read: "The driver of car #11 [Perez] could not reasonably have expected to complete the manoeuvre. His collision with car #99 [sutil] was reckless."

Perez described the incident, in which he also made lighter contact with Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari, as "unfortunate".

"I made a move on Adrian at Turn 15 when he left the door open, so I went up the inside, then Adrian started to close the door and I had to try and brake later than him," Perez explained.

"By doing so I was unable to avoid contact with Kimi, which caused me to make contact with Adrian also.

"I just didn't expect Kimi to be in that position."

Sutil started a season's best ninth for the race, and was frustrated to miss out on a chance of scoring Sauber's first points of the season.

"It was such a shame and so disappointing and so unnecessary," Sutil said.

"We were hoping for a great result today and because of a silly action like this we missed everything.

"It is very disappointing that we missed our biggest chance of points because of this move."

Source: Autosport

He's definitely been rattled which is a shame, he was on track for the title. Now sadly I think that is going to Hamilton :(

I disagree, The first 5 races Hamilton won 4 and Rosberg won 1 after Hamilton retired, the only reason Rosberg has so many points was more to do with Hamiltons car problems, the reason Hamilton has been so dominate recently is he hasn't had any car problems for a while, Lewis has won 10 races vs Rosbergs 4, Rosberg doesn't deserve the championship. 

• Like 5

Afraid I have to agree with Lovell, they have both had their issues but Hamilton certainly seems to have come out the worst. If you look at the table, Hamilton has had one extra DNF yet despite two races he has started from the back he hasn't been off the podium once Including one of the races (Hungry) where he beat Nico despite Nico starting the race on Pole.

If you have a driver who's car was in flames the day before to start from the back, and beat his team mate in the same car then you have to give this to Hamilton, he deserves this more than most this year. It's not been like Vettels dominance where he would start from the front and run away. He's had to fight, hard, I think Nico has been a much harder team mate then Webber ever was to Vettel.

F1Table.png

despite two races he has started from the back he hasn't been off the podium once Including one of the races (Hungry) where he beat Nico despite Nico starting the race on Pole.

first: i think hami is the quicker driver, i give him between 2 and 3 tenths per lap over nico.

but being able to claim a podium after starting back shows much more what a damn impressive fast car that mercedes is.

i go as far that even if both started all races back they would have won most. not as many as now but still would probably lead wdc/wcc. don't forget. that car, while not reliable, is probably the quickest f1 car of all time. not even schuey in 2004 enjoyed such a big advantage over other cars.

Caterham's failure to make it to Austin ended the possibility of a surprise comeback for Rubens Barrichello.

The 42-year-old has made no secret of the fact that he would like to race an F1 car again, and has always been frustrated that he did not have a proper farewell race at his home event. Since his last F1 race he has remained active in Brazilian stock cars and karting.

Encouraged by support from the Brazilian GP promoter Colin Kolles, there had been a deal being put together that would have seen Rubens replacing Kamui Kobayashi for the last three Grands Prix of the season.

?We would have run Barrichello in the last three races,? a team source told FOXSports.com. ?We had sponsorship for this, and everything was going the right way. It would have been fantastic for F1.?

Speaking exclusively about the plan, Rubens added: ?It would have been great to race in front of my people once again and say goodbye properly.?

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/caterham-problems-put-stop-to-surprise-comback-for-barrichello-110414

After a frantic period of mystery and speculation, the course of Fernando Alonso's future is now beginning to clear.

Multiple authoritative sources are reporting that the Spaniard is definitely headed to McLaren-Honda, on an initial two-year deal to be Danish youngster Kevin Magnussen's teammate.

"Could be," team boss Eric Boullier told Spain's Antena 3 when asked about Alonso's future in connection with McLaren, where he drove with Mercedes power in 2007.

"He is one of the drivers we have spoken to," the Frenchman admitted. "He is one of the options.

"I hope that we have decided before Abu Dhabi, I want it to be done by then, but until now we have not decided."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-s-mclaren-deal-appears-done-reports