Formula 1 World Championship 2014 Season Discussion

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the 2014 World Driver's Championship?

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Kimi Raikkonen
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Pastor Maldonado
    • Jenson Button
    • Kevin Magnussen
    • Nico Hulkenberg
    • Sergio Perez
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Esteban Gutierrez
    • Jean-Eric Vergne
    • Daniil Kvyat
    • Felipe Massa
    • Valterri Bottas
    • Jules Bianchi
    • Max Chilton
    • Kamui Kobayashi
    • Marcus Ericsson
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the World Constructor's Championship?

• Infiniti Red Bull Racing
    • Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Lotus F1 Team
    • McLaren Mercedes
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Williams Martini Racing
    • Marussia F1 Team
    • Caterham F1 Team

Jeez, reading the article on Wiki leaves a bleak future for Bianchi. 

Thoughts go out to him. 

Yep I just had to google that and read the Wiki, that's not good :(

No news, nothing important but I feel a very important message....

Shame on us all

27275.2.jpg

In recent years, journalism has stopped being a profession to be proud of. The rise of the tabloid media has turned the once noble fourth estate into a pantheon of ambulance chasers, while the UK's phone-hacking scandal shone a bright light onto the industry's dark underbelly.

Where once the press existed to inform, now it appears to be little more than a long-winded version of people screaming to be "FIRST!!!!" in the comments section, with no respect for the medium itself or the subjects covered.

I come from a long line of hacks, and the biggest insult you could level at my parents was that they were of the "don't get it right, get it written" school of journalism, writers whose priority was meeting deadlines irrespective of the quality of their output. Which isn't to say that no journalist can ever get things wrong. Like anyone else, reporters are fallible. It's part of the human condition.

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/blogs/motorsport/story/178655.html#x80k6uIVrkksGc2f.99

I guess it must just be a sobering reminder to all the drivers that it could easily have been one of them.

Lotus F1 team confirms Mercedes engine switch for 2015

The Lotus Formula 1 team has confirmed it will drop Renault power to run Mercedes engines next season.

The Enstone F1 squad agreed a long-term engine deal with Mercedes in July, but had to finalise details of its split from Renault before confirming the switch.

Renault is planning to focus more on its works partnership with Red Bull for 2015, after a disappointing first season under the new V6 hybrid turbo regulations.

Lotus will replace McLaren as Mercedes' third customer team next season, as the Woking squad enters a new works partnership with Honda.

The deal will mean Lotus drops Total fuel and lubricants in favour of Mercedes' works partner Petronas, but it will continue to manufacture its own gearboxes.

Lotus CEO Matthew Carter said he hoped the move would return his team back to the front of the grid, after a difficult 2014 campaign.

"It is our desire that the E23 Hybrid, powered by Mercedes, heralds a new era of success for Enstone," he said.

"At this juncture we would also like to thank Renault, who have been so closely associated with the team over its history and for the joint success we have achieved together."

Mercedes engine boss Andy Cowell added: "Lotus is a strong technical group with excellent facilities and I am confident that together we will deliver a step forward in track performance next year."

Source: Autosport

One car the best Bianchi tribute - Marussia

27329.3.jpg

Marussia CEO Graeme Lowden says running one car in the Russian Grand Prix felt like the right thing to do to pay tribute to injured driver Jules Bianchi.

Bianchi remains in a critical but stable condition after suffering severe brain trauma from a collision with a recovery vehicle at the Japanese Grand Prix last weekend. Only Max Chilton will compete for Marussia in Sochi, with Bianchi's car set up in the garage as tribute to the Frenchman.

"I don't know a single person who doesn't like [Jules]," Lowden said. "And you wouldn't wish that accident on anybody, but I think certainly Jules has so many friends that it's really hit home very hard for a lot of people. Our priority from this point onwards is obviously to Jules and his family and we want to provide them with the maximum amount of support at what is really a very difficult time."

Lowden thinks it is a fitting tribute to the man whose two points at Monte Carlo currently mean the team lies ninth in the constructors' championship, above both Sauber and Caterham.

"The main thing we wanted to do was to do something useful and supportive as much as we can for Jules and or Jules' family. That was our primary objective. But also we are lying ninth in the FIA world championship at the moment and that's a very important position for us, and we're largely in that position because of Jules. He's a racing driver, so he will want us to do the best we can."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/russia/motorsport/story/179099.html#q25hABfgasZXWU5S.99

I completely agree with them on this, I know they listed Rossi as an entrant but I think they made the right choice for this race but after this I think it would be fine to add a second car for the rest of the season.

Absolutely gutted for Bottas, if it wasn't for those last two corners he would have solidly got pole from his first two sectors.

nice to see mclaren improving. this might be an indication for next season hopefully :)

Man of the race: Rosberg, for his amazing comeback

Reject of the race: Rosberg, for the ridiculous move on the first lap

• Like 2

post-1302-0-86833700-1413117807.png

Man of the race: Rosberg, for his amazing comeback

Reject of the race: Rosberg, for the ridiculous move on the first lap

Agreed.

I'm really surprised that Rosberg managed to get to the end with those tyres - that really was quite incredible. Also, what was up with Alonso's pitstop? They looked like a bunch of amateurs.

Meph it looks like the F1 app can't decide between using the 2013 or 2014 image for the McLaren cars! It was a great race for them and I was genuinely hoping for a Button podium today, it was realistic and I was expecting Rosberg to require another pit stop.

Unfortunately the tyres were not helped by Pirelli being unable to get equipment over there to test the surface, they had to play it conservative due to the lack of information and this is the result, at least next time we know it will likely be Super Soft and Soft tyres.

Also, seems the WCC is wrapped up now, nobody could match Mercedes this season. Hats off to them for an amazing performance, only Williams came close to their raw pace and that depended on the track. Well deserved.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

i wonder how many races mercedes would have won this year if they started always from the last grid positions. for sure not all, but i think still some. the car is incredible.

Although I'm impressed that the tyres managed to last to the end of the race on Rosberg's car, the pressure of the title fight has really shown the difference in the quality of Rosberg's racecraft in comparison with Hamiltion's, he's starting to make mistakes under pressure. The kind of form Hamilton is showing Rosberg will probably fear for his title hopes.