Formula 1 World Championship 2014 Season Discussion

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the 2014 World Driver's Championship?

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Kimi Raikkonen
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Pastor Maldonado
    • Jenson Button
    • Kevin Magnussen
    • Nico Hulkenberg
    • Sergio Perez
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Esteban Gutierrez
    • Jean-Eric Vergne
    • Daniil Kvyat
    • Felipe Massa
    • Valterri Bottas
    • Jules Bianchi
    • Max Chilton
    • Kamui Kobayashi
    • Marcus Ericsson
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the World Constructor's Championship?

• Infiniti Red Bull Racing
    • Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Lotus F1 Team
    • McLaren Mercedes
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Williams Martini Racing
    • Marussia F1 Team
    • Caterham F1 Team

another day, another rumor

McLaren and Honda are prepared to buy Fernando Alonso out of Ferrari for ?30 million. That's just the contract termination price. #F1

here is hope this is true :D

http://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/20-09-2014/formula-1-ferrari-mal-pancia-alonso-dura-tenerlo-se-si-pagano-30-milioni-90504400847.shtml

In short: Alonso said to be unhappy with Ferrari, in a week he says he will talk and some will not be happy. Gazzetta hints that talk might related to the near Japanese GP. He has 30M$ to pay to Ferrari to leave.

If he decides to leave his replacement is already on says Gazzetta.

He should wait until after this weekend .. The Ferraris look quick today ... superb lap from lewis .. great to hear rosberg cracking under the pressure at the end of Q3 when he realised he wasn't on pole :)

He should wait until after this weekend .. The Ferraris look quick today ... superb lap from lewis .. great to hear rosberg cracking under the pressure at the end of Q3 when he realised he wasn't on pole :)

i don't think one race will change his mind. i hope he goes back to mclaren, should have never left, he has unfinished business there and i think the mclaren-honda project is gonna be great.

Man of the race for me: Lewis Hamilton. You don't see a flawless performance like yesterday's very often.

Reject of the race: Jean-Eric Vergne for accumulating as many five second penalties as he did. The track limits are there for a reason.

Singapore GP: Kevin Magnussen treated for heat injuries

McLaren's Kevin Magnussen needed treatment from a doctor because of injuries from an overheating seat in the Singapore Grand Prix.

The Dane's back was tended to after the race. His mouth was also burned after the liquid in his drinks bottle boiled.

Magnussen had tried to direct air into his overalls by holding his arms aloft in an attempt to alleviate the pain.

He held on to score a point for 10th place, and said: "It was the hardest point I've ever earned."

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier said his performance in the circumstances was "indicative of his tremendous fighting spirit".

Magnussen added: "It was hot. Really tough. I never experienced anything like this in racing. I couldn't drink water, and the seat was very hot.

"I still feel dehydrated. I lost a lot of water."

He later tweeted to say that reports that he had had burns and had medical treatment "were a bit exaggerated - I was just hot and sweaty".

McLaren did not immediately know what had caused the problems with the seat or Magnussen's drinks bottle, neither of which affected team-mate Jenson Button.

Singapore is rated by the drivers as the toughest grand prix of the year because of the long, bumpy lap, the hot and humid conditions and the fact that the race runs to the two-hour time limit.

Magnussen was treated after the race with an iced towel as McLaren enlisted a doctor to treat his injuries.

The 21-year-old, who is in his first season in F1 and does not yet know whether he will be retained by McLaren in 2015, will be fit to drive in the next race in Japan in two weeks' time.

Source: BBC Sport

the race was boring imho. sad rosberg was out him chasing through the field would have made things a bit more interesting.

i was very tempted to switch just my tv off after 30 laps, but then the sc came out, made it at least a little bit interesting, but again showed what a beast of a car this mercedes is. schueys best ferraris not come even close but they had better reliability.

anyway: gazzetta writes, that alonso has informed ferrari already that he is going to leave them at the end of this year (to mclaren honda?)

Have to agree it was the boring race of the season so far, we were robbed of a good show down due to Rosberg's issues. Hamilton might not have had it all his own way if Nico was on the track. When the merc is on form, nothing can stop them, pulling a 27 second lead after the SC, the other teams will need to step up to the plate to match that pace.

Have to agree it was the boring race of the season so far, we were robbed of a good show down due to Rosberg's issues. Hamilton might not have had it all his own way if Nico was on the track. When the merc is on form, nothing can stop them, pulling a 27 second lead after the SC, the other teams will need to step up to the plate to match that pace.

I don't think it was boring at all, especially as the safety car made Hamilton have to race hard at the end. Certainly it would have been better with Rosberg competing but given the issues Hamilton has had in the past this evens things up nicely. The championship really could go to anyone one of three drivers, especially when you factor in the double points for the final race.

mclaren%2Bhonda%2B2015%2Bdraft.jpg

Mclaren Honda plans to charm Fernando Alonso at Suzuka. | Racing Fanatic

more rumors:

@LorenzoDL83: #Alonso has expressed his desire to leave, after giving conditions deemed unacceptable by #Ferrari " via @Gazzetta_it

i think there are 2 sides here:

either: ferrari wants alonso out (i don't believe this) therefore they not only leak all team internas to the italian press but also refuse alonsos proposals.

alonso wants out: i think this is the point here. he sees no progress, instead a steady decline, therefore suggests changes for ferrari unacceptable to make (bringing back pat symmonds, this rumor was also heard a few years back). and at ferrari no driver is bigger than the team, enzo would probably shown him the door long time ago.

as a f1 watcher from mid 90s till now and reading lots of books back to the 70s, i just start to think would alonso be the first driver ever to join mclaren (2007), leave them, join them again after a while?

i know with ferrari it's more common (regazzoni, berger, raikkonen) but so far mclaren never has done this or does anyone knows more?

Definitely a boring race, I kept away from social media because I was watching the highlights. As soon as Rosberg's car failed I felt that Hamilton would win. I thought the safety may make a difference but Hamilton built up a lead fairly quickly, and even when he had that last tyre change, knowing that he had way fresher tyres when compared to Vettel, made it a sure thing for Hamilton. 

I don't think it was boring at all, especially as the safety car made Hamilton have to race hard at the end. Certainly it would have been better with Rosberg competing but given the issues Hamilton has had in the past this evens things up nicely. The championship really could go to anyone one of three drivers, especially when you factor in the double points for the final race.

Hamilton's lead throughout the race made it boring for most. Definitely would have been a much more intense race if Rosberg had been competing. 

Hamilton's lead throughout the race made it boring for most. Definitely would have been a much more intense race if Rosberg had been competing. 

Obviously it would have been more interesting with Rosberg still in it but I found it a decent race. It's really not all about who wins but about the entire event - we had Rosberg's dramatic problems, Perez and his damaged front wing, Hamilton struggling with his tyres to open up enough of a pit window, Button doing well (until he retired), Bottas losing it in the final laps, etc. There have been more exciting races this season but it certainly wasn't boring.

Certainly this season is more exciting than last, where Vettel had it easy. At least Hamilton and Rosberg are fighting for every race, with emotions running high.

• Like 2

do we have any italian speakers in here, could properly translate the following article?

here

i only could use google translator, and would be especially interested in the following passage:

According to news reported by the sports magazine Speed ??Week, the meeting between the leaders Honda, the manufacturer of the mototi McLaren from 2015 and Alonso put on paper the passage of the Spanish team in English. The meeting materializes at the Suzuka circuit which ironically, is owned by the Japanese engineer.

i get that there will be a meeting. but what have they put on paper? the name alonso? will he get offered a contract there?

6 races to go and the Silly Season is in full swing. Oh well  :rofl:

Speaking of which, I just stumbled upon this...

Bernie Ecclestone has spoken with team principals before this weekend?s Singapore Grand Prix as speculation mounts that the future of Formula One will be built around just eight teams running three cars each.

Indeed Ecclestone, F1?s chief executive, fuelled the speculation himself when, prior to going to the paddocks, he said a decision regarding a 24-car grid was likely to be made by the middle of next month.

?We?ll know after the next two or three races,? he said. ?It?s always been on the cards that if we lose up to three teams then the other teams will run three cars.

?I think we should do it anyway. I would rather see Ferrari with three cars, or any of the other top teams with three cars than having teams that are struggling.? Asked whether the new arrangement was in the pipeline he replied: ?Oh yeah, for sure.?

The two smallest teams in the paddock, Marussia and Caterham, are already fighting for survival. And two other teams, Sauber and Lotus, are also struggling to stay within a flawed business model, with no agreement to cap costs, funds unevenly distributed and the majority shareholders ? the private equity firm CVC ? making a profit. The truth is that all teams are finding life in F1 more difficult than they once did, and that includes even the big four of Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren.

When asked whether anything could be done to help struggling teams, Ecclestone replied: ?I?ve been around ? most people say too long ? but long enough to know there are always people at the back of the grid.?

When Jenson Button, the 2009 world champion, was asked on Thursday about the possibility of teams running three teams he said: ?That?s a lot of work for the teams. If one car is so strong next year, you could have no other cars on the podium, which isn?t so good.

?We?ve always had smaller teams. It?s a good thing we have them, there?s a lot of personalities. Obviously it would be nice if they didn?t have such big struggles and they could be more competitive. But that?s always been the case in Formula One.?

Speaking at the launch of a new sponsorship deal with the whisky manufacturers Johnnie Walker ? Ecclestone also announced that the controversial double points initiative, which will be used for the final race in Abu Dhabi in November, was likely to be dropped for next year. He also suggested that the complex task of driving in F1 was going to get even harder following the recent ban of drivers receiving advice over the radio from their teams.

He said: ?I think we might make their life more difficult. There is now likely to be further changes regarding telemetry.?

But Felipe Massa has added his voice to those concerned about the ban, claiming it could lead to a ?big accident?. The Williams driver: ?For me it?s a little bit funny that they change this type of thing in the moment. It?s not the correct moment. Maybe they changed it because they spoke to the old drivers too much.

?In some areas I think it?s fine. If the team tells you not to use the tyres so much in corner five because you?re using them too much compared to your team-mate, it?s OK not to say that. This is not a problem. But you have so many things that we do in the car, that if you don?t do maybe you put too much temperature in the rear brakes because the temperature gets too high, and then you just have a fire in the car. Maybe you could have a big accident.?

Massa added: ?We saw situations like when Lewis [Hamilton] had fire in his car ? you could have that many times if you?re not using the right settings.?

Hamilton himself appeared in favour of the move. He said: ?I am excited about the new challenge. It?s like going back to my karting days.

?Things like the formation lap; we are going to have to remember a lot of things without being told ? that?s a real challenge. It means there are more balls in the air we have to catch and we are already catching quite a lot.?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/18/f1-bernie-ecclestone-24-car-grid-eight-teams-formula-one

@CorSport "The most likely 2015 scenario sees #Alonso in #Mclaren and #Vettel to #Ferrari"

?

Lorenzo De Luca ?@LorenzoDL83  50m

@tuttosport  "#Honda 100 millions for 3 years (contract already signed ) for #Alonso, " pic.twitter.com/99429CSrTc

here is hope this comes true :D