Malaysia Airlines 'loses contact with plane' (and search effort updates)

Sky news reports there will be a press conference

Former Boeing 777 instructor and United Airlines captain Ross Aimer said it was "disturbing" that there had been no distress call from flight MH370's cockpit and that the plane's emergency locator transmitters had not sent any signals.

He said: "These are very sophisticated equipment that should have been working under any condition - in the water, in the jungle, after a fire, after an explosion - and none of them have talked to the outside world yet.

"There are spots in the world, however, that are called blind spots, where you can not communicate for some reason.

"Unfortunately, that area near Vietnam, over the Gulf of Thailand, those are some of the black spots, so perhaps at that time there was no data transmission between the aircraft and the airline."

http://news.sky.com/story/1223758/malaysia-airlines-plane-what-has-happened

Hello,

Majority of those weren't local phone numbers being called. How it was explained in the news yesterday was if you call a cell phone outside a roaming area and/or cells in other countries, it transfers around til it finds the phone. Those transfers will ring while its looking. So if the plane was outside of any tower range, any call to any of those phones, will basically fall into the international roaming domain.

How would it know to "transfer around" ouside a roaming area and/or that the cells are in other countries in the first place?

So you mean, that if I take out my SIM card and/or turn off my phone, I call it, and it looks all over the world for it?

BTW, I have tested this when the theory came out:

I havent entered my PIN: "Cell is not avaliable"

I do not insert my SIM into the phone: "Cell is not avaliable"

I turn off my phone: "Cell is not avaliable"

There is no moment where data communication is not avaliavle in my phone and it keeps ringing.

I guess the only thing left is for someone to toss their Sony Xperia Z into the ocean and try it out.

Hello,

How would it know to "transfer around" ouside a roaming area and/or that the cells are in other countries in the first place?

So you mean, that if I take out my SIM card and/or turn off my phone, I call it, and it looks all over the world for it?

BTW, I have tested this when the theory came out:

I havent entered my PIN: "Cell is not avaliable"

I do not insert my SIM into the phone: "Cell is not avaliable"

I turn off my phone: "Cell is not avaliable"

There is no moment where data communication is not avaliavle in my phone and it keeps ringing.

I guess the only thing left is for someone to toss their Sony Xperia Z into the ocean and try it out.

The network will look in the HLR (Home Location Register) for the cell location of the last call. When it doesn't find it, it will look in the international roaming register - find that it was last registered on a network in Malaysia and make an inquiry of Malaysian networks to see if it is still roaming.

HLR info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switching_subsystem#Home_location_register_.28HLR.29

Roaming process

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaming#The_roaming_process

• Like 2

A group of fishermen found a life raft bearing the word ?Boarding? 10 nautical miles from Port Dickson town at 12pm yesterday.

One of the fishermen, Azman Mohamad, 40, said they found the badly damaged raft floating and immediately notified the Kuala Linggi Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) in Malacca for assistance to lift the raft as it was very heavy.

"We managed to tie it to our boat as we feared it would sink due to the damages," he said.

When the MMEA boat arrived, the fishermen then handed over the raft into their custody.

However, a Kuala Linggi MMEA spokesman said the raft sunk into the sea while they were trying to bring the raft onboard. 

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-color-red-missing-mh370-font-fishermen-find-life-raft-near-pd-1.509222#ixzz2vjgKTGYk

A supposed oil rig worker spotted the plane in flames from his rig. 

KpkMKmY.jpg

As for the raft, this is what the rafts supposedly look like on the 777s, though it very's from the one in the image in the link above.

usa-crash-asiana.jpg

When the MMEA boat arrived, the fishermen then handed over the raft into their custody.

However, a Kuala Linggi MMEA spokesman said the raft sunk into the sea while they were trying to bring the raft onboard. 

This is the most stupid thing I've ever heard.

If this is a missing case, this would be...

A couple who were jogging found clothes belonging to the missing girl. The couple immediately notified authorities.

"We immediate put them into out car to make sure that no animal grabbed them" the man said.

When the police arrived, the couple immediately handed the girl's clothes over to the police.

However, a police spokesman said that her clothes were lost when the police was trying to bring them back to the polices' locker.

A couple who were jogging found clothes belonging to the missing girl. The couple immediately notified authorities.

"We immediate put it into out car to make sure that no animal grabbed them" the man said.

When the police arrived, the couple immediately handed the girl's clothes over to the police.

However, a police spokesman said that her clothes were lost when the police was trying to bring them back to the polices' locker.

Whilst I don't believe what I am about to write...If for whatever reason the MMEA didn't want this to be found...

There Is defiantly something not quite right with all of this, im not normally one to subscribe to conspiracy theories and all but the amount of miss-information that is coming out and story changes just doesn't sit right with me. If there is no foul play here, then the bodies in charge seriously need to sort out the media and when something is released, that its factually correct.

• Like 2

To play devil's advocate here, the raft was reportedly "badly damaged" and if it is the raft as pictured above, it wouldn't be a very small easy to handle object while it was in the water. Im willing to bet those rafts weight at minimum of a hundred pounds or more in a dry environment and more so in a wet one. Someone screwing up during the transfer shouldn't jump the gun to equate to "they" not wanting it found.

• Like 1

To play devil's advocate here, the raft was reportedly "badly damaged" and if it is the raft as pictured above, it wouldn't be a very small easy to handle object while it was in the water. Im willing to bet those rafts weight at minimum of a hundred pounds or more in a dry environment and more so in a wet one. Someone screwing up during the transfer shouldn't jump the gun to equate to "they" not wanting it found.

Whilst I agree it may be easily possible, precautions should have been made so that it was virtually impossible. It's easy for me to say things like that without being there and seeing the conditions they were dealing with etc but I'm sure they could have gotten something tied around it in someway to ensure if it was dropped it wouldn't sink straight to the bottom.

"We immediate put them into out car to make sure that no animal grabbed them" the man said.

That link makes a reference to Port Dickson, which is a town which is south from Kuala Lumpur in the Malacca Strait.

This is a zone that was not searched because it is actually on the opposite side of the flight path: MH370 was leaving Kuala Lumpur to go to Beijing so flying north and that raft has been found south.

This is extremely baffling and raises even more questions

lol. I am not sure if this is a tabloid or what:

A CO-PILOT at the controls of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 invited a Melbourne tourist and her friend into the cockpit where he smoked, took photos and entertained the pair during a previous international flight.

In a worrying lapse of security, it?s been revealed pilot Fariq Abdul Hamid and his colleague broke Malaysia Airline rules when they invited passengers Jonti Roos and Jaan Maree to join them in the cabin for the one-hour flight from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur.

Ms Roos, who is travelling around Australia, told A Current Affair she and Ms Maree posed for pictures with the pilots, who smoked cigarettes during the midair rendez-vous.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/playboy-pilot-at-controls-of-mh370-had-a-track-record-of-inviting-pretty-passengers-into-his-cockpit-where-he-smoked-and-posed-for-snaps/story-e6frg6n6-1226851038856

Hello,

The network will look in the HLR (Home Location Register) for the cell location of the last call. When it doesn't find it, it will look in the international roaming register - find that it was last registered on a network in Malaysia and make an inquiry of Malaysian networks to see if it is still roaming.

HLR info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switching_subsystem#Home_location_register_.28HLR.29

Roaming process

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaming#The_roaming_process

Also it sounds like a good explanation, it cannot be confirmed as Wikipedia lists NO sources to back this up. Basically you could have written it in Wikipedia then resumed it here in the thread.

Im not calling you a liar or anything but this cannot be confirmed. What can be confirmed is that people call, the phone still rings, and keeps on ringing.

Also, if this does indeed store the last location, wouldnt it be possible to also get a location of where the last time it was connected to a roaming network?

He wasn't the captain of the aircraft on this flight, so he doesn't have the control to allow people in the cockpit.

Hello,

Also it sounds like a good explanation, it cannot be confirmed as Wikipedia lists NO sources to back this up. Basically you could have written it in Wikipedia then resumed it here in the thread.

Im not calling you a liar or anything but this cannot be confirmed. What can be confirmed is that people call, the phone still rings, and keeps on ringing.

Also, if this does indeed store the last location, wouldnt it be possible to also get a location of where the last time it was connected to a roaming network?

First off, if you're going to be stubborn about it, at least google what it is wiki is not the only source. Second, unless you can provide some counter information, what exactly is unbelievable about what I posted? Logically it makes sense. If you try to call a local number it obviously is going to go through your local network. If that phone you are calling is not within that network, it has to look for it and to do that it has to have an idea of where to look, hence the registries. Not sure why you are having a hard time with this explanation. 

Was this the sort of raft that would be on the 777 plane ?

image.jpg.pagespeed.ce.g7bnUZHMOv.jpg

Given that it's a tiny picture of a fraction of the actual raft, there really isn't enough info to say yes or no. 

Hope you can read Chinese ...

Breaking: Body in life vest found in Malacca

http://hen.chinadaily.com.cn/n/2014-03-12/NEWS13754.html

The report said the body was found by rescue volunteers. Waiting for official statement.

Link isn't working for me, but interesting that the body was in a vest. That would almost suggest the plane "landed" in the water and at least one person managed to escape which would half explain a lack of debris if the plane has now sunk. Although I would have expected stuff from within the cabin to potentially make its way out. However again, if you are to trust the air crew, the rafts would have inflated as soon as the doors were opened so you would have expected that they would have been found by now.

Hello,

First off, if you're going to be stubborn about it, at least google what it is wiki is not the only source. Second, unless you can provide some counter information, what exactly is unbelievable about what I posted? Logically it makes sense. If you try to call a local number it obviously is going to go through your local network. If that phone you are calling is not within that network, it has to look for it and to do that it has to have an idea of where to look, hence the registries. Not sure why you are having a hard time with this explanation.

Its simple:

My phone is in the US and the register says it is in the US

I grab a plane, Im roaming, and it registers that my location is in (for example Malaysia)

Someone calls me, the first time it would go to the US and look up for me. It would ring, ring, ring but evenually it would find out that I was in Malaysia.

Next time someone calls for me, it isnt gonna go thru the US, its gonna automatically look me up in Malaysia.

My point is that is wouldnt keep ringing. Maybe the first time or second, but constantly each sequencial time I call it?

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhen.chinadaily.com.cn%2Fn%2F2014-03-12%2FNEWS13754.html&act=url

It isnt confirmed. Plus, I once saw on a long flight that was experiencing some turbalence (and the seat belt sign), a old couple putting on their life vest :laugh: I know this isnt the case but it reminded me of that.

I most warn that there is a article there talking about Jackie Chan dying in 2016 because of a Brazillian prophet that sees things coming: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://hen.chinadaily.com.cn/n/2014-03-12/NEWS13724.html&usg=ALkJrhiTyGddHtgqUCdBL19rPBZpnjB9-Q

Link isn't working for me, but interesting that the body was in a vest. That would almost suggest the plane "landed" in the water and at least one person managed to escape which would half explain a lack of debris if the plane has now sunk. Although I would have expected stuff from within the cabin to potentially make its way out. However again, if you are to trust the air crew, the rafts would have inflated as soon as the doors were opened so you would have expected that they would have been found by now.

Doesn't mean they actual 'landed' on water.  I'm pretty sure you are supposed to put your  life vest on if there is any sort of emergency over water.

Hope you can read Chinese ...

Breaking: Body in life vest found in Malacca

http://hen.chinadaily.com.cn/n/2014-03-12/NEWS13754.html

The report said the body was found by rescue volunteers. Waiting for official statement.

Good guy Google Translate.

Although this news story in itself is sad, it gives hope for some survivors being out there.

I can't find this report on the English version of China Daily -- so I can't confirm what it may say. :/

a339cfc822a330213d047ea98f1f1837.jpg

Hello,

Its simple:

My phone is in the US and the register says it is in the US

I grab a plane, Im roaming, and it registers that my location is in (for example Malaysia)

Someone calls me, the first time it would go to the US and look up for me. It would ring, ring, ring but evenually it would find out that I was in Malaysia.

Next time someone calls for me, it isnt gonna go thru the US, its gonna automatically look me up in Malaysia.

My point is that is wouldnt keep ringing. Maybe the first time or second, but constantly each sequencial time I call it?

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhen.chinadaily.com.cn%2Fn%2F2014-03-12%2FNEWS13754.html&act=url

It isnt confirmed. Plus, I once saw on a long flight that was experiencing some turbalence (and the seat belt sign), a old couple putting on their life vest :laugh: I know this isnt the case but it reminded me of that.

I most warn that there is a article there talking about Jackie Chan dying in 2016 because of a Brazillian prophet that sees things coming: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://hen.chinadaily.com.cn/n/2014-03-12/NEWS13724.html&usg=ALkJrhiTyGddHtgqUCdBL19rPBZpnjB9-Q

They still have to go through their local network which means it still has to look for you and still has to transfer the call to the overseas network. If Im in Chicago and make a call to a phone in Malaysia, connect and call back later, that call still has to be routed, every time the call is made. That information isn't stored on your phone. Add the fact that when you call, you may not be calling through the same tower as you did before. I know this because we have spotty service in my area. We get a crappy connection in the now and then and when we called ATT about it they explained that because when we call it depends on the tower that it connects through. If you're close to multiple towers, your call will go to the one being used less at that moment. One of the particular towers near us isn't as reliable as the other. 

So yes, when the relatives call, the calls are still routed and they ring as they are being routed. 

Doesn't mean they actual 'landed' on water.  I'm pretty sure you are supposed to put your  life vest on if there is any sort of emergency over water.

I think if this story is true, it's safe to say it's in the water, after all the body wasn't found on land.