Malaysia Airlines 'loses contact with plane' (and search effort updates)

Doesn't mean they actual 'landed' on water.  I'm pretty sure you are supposed to put your  life vest on if there is any sort of emergency over water.

I can't be 100% sure, but from memory I think they only mention life vests for over water, otherwise its a few seconds of unnecessary delay when on land for evacuating the aircraft.

Exactly - what I was trying to say is that even though they may have found a body with a life vest on it doesn't mean it made any sort of landing on water - it could still have broken up in flight. It just so happened they might have had enough warning to put life vests on.

I can't find this report on the English version of China Daily -- so I can't confirm what it may say. :/

a339cfc822a330213d047ea98f1f1837.jpg

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20140312000154&cid=1103.

The Beijing News has reported that a source claiming to be local volunteer assisting in the search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has found a dead body wearing a lifejacket in an area of the Malacca Strait. In a single-paragraph report, the website of the Chinese-language newspaper said that it was seeking to establish the reliability of the claim.

The unconfirmed report is said to have come via a new operations center established in Malacca after the search for the flight was expanded to both sides of the Malaysian peninsula in response to reports that the plane may have diverted from its planned course. The report was first passed to the center of operations for search and rescue efforts on Vietnam's Phu Quoc island.

The last contact with the plane placed it over the South China Sea on its scheduled course from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

The Boeing 777-200 with 239 people aboard took off early on the morning of March 8. It disappeared about an hour into the flight with no distress signal or message sent.

Hello,

They still have to go through their local network which means it still has to look for you and still has to transfer the call to the overseas network. If Im in Chicago and make a call to a phone in Malaysia, connect and call back later, that call still has to be routed, every time the call is made. That information isn't stored on your phone. Add the fact that when you call, you may not be calling through the same tower as you did before. I know this because we have spotty service in my area. We get a crappy connection in the now and then and when we called ATT about it they explained that because when we call it depends on the tower that it connects through. If you're close to multiple towers, your call will go to the one being used less at that moment. One of the particular towers near us isn't as reliable as the other. 

So yes, when the relatives call, the calls are still routed and they ring as they are being routed.

Bold seems like a huge unneccesary step and huge bandwidth waste.

Not saying I dont believe you, I just find it hard to believe.

Hello,

Bold seems like a huge unneccesary step and huge bandwidth waste.

Not saying I dont believe you, I just find it hard to believe.

When you make a cell call, you ALWAYS are connecting through what ever network you are connected to, ALWAYS. That doesn't necessarily mean you are using your service provider, you could be using someone elses network/towers but it's still a local network, not one a thousand miles away. Those calls still have to be routed and found to who ever you're calling.

True. Inflatables would not be a solution, that is a given. However, a low density device could be something worth looking into, no? I mean, yes, if the black box is trapped in whatever place it is, it will stay there, but if gets free, and manage to go up towards the surface, would it not be better than not being able to ever retrieve it because it just somewhere on the ocean/sea floor?

I think they should have 2 or 3 black boxes. The one embedded safe and sound in the bowels of the plane and perhaps one that auto jettisons with flotation device deployment, in the vicinity or at least within a few miles of said altitude loss. (or whatever parameters the builders deem necessary). 

Apparently the 'body found' is rubbish -- no other reports.

The last communication received from a Malaysia Airlines plane suggests everything was normal on board minutes before it went missing over the South China Sea, Malaysian authorities say.

Flight MH370 replied "All right, roger that" to a radio message from Malaysian air control, authorities said.

The search has been widened to waters off both sides of the peninsula.

Malaysia's air force chief has denied reports the plane was tracked to the Malacca Strait in the west.

Vietnam's air traffic management earlier said it had received an email from a New Zealander working in one of the oil rigs off Vung Tau.

"He said he spotted a burning [object] at that location, some 300 km (200 miles) southeast of Vung Tau," deputy general director Doan Huu Gia said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26527390

I wonder if they have published a map of the areas in the world where there is no communication possible "for whatever reason" (as claimed here a few pages back), and if the plane was flying in that kind of an area

I reckon, that the flight recorder was deactivated prior to take off and any built in tracking devices also deactivated.

Then the plane was hijacked by the pilot and other staff and the two member carrying stolen passports and it was landed safely in the jungle.

The plane has now been stripped down for parts and other recycle-able metals.

The passengers, not sure what they're doing.

I would like to know why an airline would allow knowingly two passengers with stolen passports to fly.

Latest map from the BBC, also added a rough location if the oil rig workers sighting is accurate of about 200 miles southwest of the rig (assuming the dot is the rig and not the planes possible location).

9I3HX86.png

However this means the plane would have turned East rather then West as it supposedly did, however the Malaysian air force now seem to be denying that to some extent.

I reckon, that the flight recorder was deactivated prior to take off and any built in tracking devices also deactivated.

Then the plane was hijacked by the pilot and other staff and the two member carrying stolen passports and it was landed safely in the jungle.

The plane has now been stripped down for parts and other recycle-able metals.

The passengers, not sure what they're doing.

I would like to know why an airline would allow knowingly two passengers with stolen passports to fly.

They didn't know, the passports were flagged as stolen on interpol's database, many countries (including Malaysia) do not use this database to check passengers (this is the case and has been confirmed)

It was only after the disappearance and the passenger list was circulated that they were flagged up.

NTSB says Expolosive decompression suspected.

Interview on FOX News.

Hope this isn't another red herring.

According to the report, the satellite images from the morning of March 9 appear to show "three suspected floating objects" of varying sizes in the sea off the southern tip of Vietnam and east of Malaysia ? a part of the original search area for the aircraft, which was enroute from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

However, there was no immediate confirmation of the reported debris from the airline or Malaysian authorities.

Vernon Grose, a seasoned National Transportation Safety Board investigator and consultant, told Fox News his preliminary assessment was that if the plane disintegrated, he would expect to find large pieces of wreckage, including the wings, the horizontal stabilizer in the tail and the vertical fin.

One of the objects reportedly spotted would be consistent with a jet's wing.

If this is the wreckage, Grose said the black boxes should be located in fairly short order.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03/12/chinese-government-website-says-it-has-images-suspected-plane-debris/

From the BBC: "The images were taken on Sunday, a day after the plane disappeared, but were only released on Wednesday" ......but why? They probably mean to the public but doesn't seem to have been shared with those involved in the rescue efforts! :crazy:

But I bet the next summer "blockbuster" film will be about this event - probably some screenwriter in Hollywood having a busy day in his office writing a script right now

From the BBC: "The images were taken on Sunday, a day after the plane disappeared, but were only released on Wednesday" ......but why? They probably mean to the public but doesn't seem to have been shared with those involved in the rescue efforts! :crazy:

But I bet the next summer "blockbuster" film will be about this event - probably some screenwriter in Hollywood having a busy day in his office writing a script right now

To be fair just because the images were taken on Sunday doesn't mean the object was spotted on Sunday. Just look at that crowdsourcing site, going through the vast amounts of images looking for objects takes time.

mudslag, on 12 Mar 2014 - 22:51, said:mudslag, on 12 Mar 2014 - 22:51, said:

To be fair just because the images were taken on Sunday doesn't mean the object was spotted on Sunday. Just look at that crowdsourcing site, going through the vast amounts of images looking for objects takes time.

Granted no ;) But no need for telling people that; could have stated more like, the potential wreckage was spotted on the satellite images Wednesday, especially since time could be of the highest essence

Hello,

How would it know to "transfer around" ouside a roaming area and/or that the cells are in other countries in the first place?

So you mean, that if I take out my SIM card and/or turn off my phone, I call it, and it looks all over the world for it?

BTW, I have tested this when the theory came out:

I havent entered my PIN: "Cell is not avaliable"

I do not insert my SIM into the phone: "Cell is not avaliable"

I turn off my phone: "Cell is not avaliable"

There is no moment where data communication is not avaliavle in my phone and it keeps ringing.

I guess the only thing left is for someone to toss their Sony Xperia Z into the ocean and try it out.

I can partially support his post, I've make a lot of calls to India/Canada/USA mobiles, and quite often it can take many seconds to find destination number, my last attempt I experimented while on Skype with my sister in Canada, I asked her to turn off her phone, dialled it, and it took a few seconds for me to hear that her phone wasn't available

also I believe the Xperia Z is waterproof, (at least my Z1 compact is)

Dawn in Maylasia now.

Ships will reach the suspected object within an hour or two.

vJnLLNk.jpg

Shame the 'drawn in' plane wasn't orientated going from bottom left to top right, it does look like part of a wing (I'm guessing from what I see, part of the right, or starboard, wing)

^ They dumb down the satellite images -- so nobody else can tell what rez they are capable of.

Do we have a reliable source for this other than wolf biltzer (and reddit)? I know that something similar was done for the resolution of GPS for civilian use. I.e. it had a selective availability mode that would introduce time varying errors to reduce accuracy. Though, they disabled that years ago.