Malaysia Airlines 'loses contact with plane' (and search effort updates)

They concluded that the 727, which was parked for a year, and was undergoing maintenance, had crashed.  The reported sighting of it was a different plane in Guam.  How's about you try reading, especially about topics you know absolutely nothing about.  IE.  Planes.

I simply quoted what others posted.

Welcome to the Ignore list -- LOL

Straits Times of Singapore reported on 7/8/03 that the 727 that departed Luanda under mysterious circumstances had been spotted in Conakry, Guinea:

MISSING PLANE SPOTTED IN GUINEA

World File - Straits Times

A BOEING 727 jet, whose disapearrance in Angola in May sparked fears of a repeat of the 9/11 attacks, reappeared last week in the Guinean capital Conakry before vanishing again.

Canadian pilot Bob Strother spotted the plane on June 28 sporting a Guinean registration number. -- AFP

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/3201872/?threadid=3201872&searchid=3202938&s=Angola+727+stolen#ID3202938

Guys, just because of some of us gaga over conspiracy theories and some of us aren't, it doesn't mean we can't all get along on public forums. Especially, when at least two of the theories surrounding this are similar to Steven King and the Twilight Zone. Can't go wrong with either one really. 

^ Agreed.

But anything other than a mechanical, electrical failure, is by definition, a conspiracy.

Military, aviation experts, and the FBI are considering all possibilities.

^ Agreed.

But anything other than a mechanical, electrical failure, is by definition, a conspiracy.

Yup, of course. They aren't doing their job if they aren't following up on all possibilities. Truth be told, even unlikely things can still be possible. Though if someone directly says something that's against physics, then I'm going to flat out say no.

I don't believe for a second that all the various systems on board a modern aircraft could suddenly go so utterly wrong, and the plane go so far off course, that it just vanishes and crashes.

Either something happened to it mid-flight that destroyed the aircraft, or someone did something to it. If it was the latter, well, terrorists NEED publicity for their actions to actually work...

India joins search for MH370

NEW DELHI - Indian Navy ships that are on patrol in the Straits of Melacca are joining in the search and rescue operations for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, news reports from India said on Wednesday.

The Indian Navy's satellite Rukmini or GSAT-7 has also been activated to pick up any clue that may lead investigators to the missing aircraft, media reports said.

The search operations for the aircraft entered its fifth day on Wednesday.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/se-asia/story/missing-malaysia-airlines-plane-india-joins-search-mh370-20140312

^ Agreed.

Did you forget pilot error?

Also pretty weak of you to put someone on your ignore list for clarifying something you posted. Why bother participating on a public forum if you can't handle others expressing their views while expecting others to hear out yours? 

• Like 1

I found these posts kind of interesting -- and no, no one has to agree:

How can a 727 disappear ?

It's not that difficult.

Africa has plenty of dictators, and dictators can do what they want. You could easily pay something directly to a leader to land your plane on a military runway or one of Africa's remote and poorly staffed show airports. When that leader says "this plane landing is a military secret, do not record it" it's pretty likely that people will comply. Sketchy stuff like this happens all the time out there. Furthermore, there are tons of defunct planes hanging around that were purchased for national fleets in more optimistic times. Chances are people don't really have a great handle on what planes should and should not be hanging around.

A crash is also a remote possibility. A plane crashed in Cameroon a few years ago and it took them three days to find it, and that's with them looking!

The most likely theory is that the plane is being used to transport goods to Lebanon.

Interesting story!

LSLGuy
04-12-2010, 08:45 AM

I used to fly 727s. I've never operated one from a dirt field, but it isn't out of the question for a decently flat & dry surface. The initial disappearance flights would be done without a cargo load, so the airplane would be real light; another helpful parameter.

I also spent some time with the unconventional side of the USAF in the 3rd world, though not Africa where even sven has lived. Stuff happening quietly with the connivance of a national government, or even just a local strongman running some action on the side is very, very plausible. As in the "there's no need to consider other more complex possibilities" kind of plausible.

As to re-registering the airplane, why? Just paint some, say, Gabonian, registration number on it, then stay out of Gabon. Everybody else will take the paint at face value, and no Gabonian "inspector" (ie bribe mongerer) will ever see the plane to start asking questions.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-559332.html

The most likely theory is that the plane is being used to transport goods to Lebanon.

Pretty weak theory there, given there is not a shred of evidence supporting it. If you want to have a theory, you need supporting evidence for said theory. You also might want to look at a map, in order to get to Lebanon, you would have to fly it over a good number of countries airspace, many if not most, have some sort of ties to the US. You would have to be a fool to think those countries will just let that plane just freely pass over them without being noticed, let alone attempting to be stopped or shot down in a worst case scenario. That doesn't even begin to deal with who's providing them the fuel to get there, who's paying for this, how it would even be possible without that info being leaked, ect...

Also, anyone on a conspiracy loony forum can claim to be a pilot and it would seem pretty damn silly to think that repainting some serial numbers on a plane will magically make others not second guess it. Im not a pilot and even I can see the flaws in that logic. 

Since everyone keeps mentioning it is a 777, here's a size comparison between planes (727 is there also): http://www.flickr.com/photos/66436184@N00/3979730798

P.S.: if that is somehow wrong... I'm not a plane expert...

I'm pretty sure the missing Malaysia airplane is a 777.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the missing Malaysia airplane is a 777.

Yeah, I know, the image shows a 777-200ER and a 727-200 (and other planes), It was just to give a visual for the size difference because there have been numerous posts about the theft of a 727 (in some other case) in this thread, and other people noting the size difference between that and this plane.

I don't believe for a second that all the various systems on board a modern aircraft could suddenly go so utterly wrong, and the plane go so far off course, that it just vanishes and crashes.

Either something happened to it mid-flight that destroyed the aircraft, or someone did something to it. If it was the latter, well, terrorists NEED publicity for their actions to actually work...

While I agree with your first sentence, I can't agree that something happened mid-flight that destroyed the plane.

There would almost certainly be evidence found by now - even if it was just one thing...

Surely?

While I agree with your first sentence, I can't agree that something happened mid-flight that destroyed the plane.

There would almost certainly be evidence found by now - even if it was just one thing...

Surely?

I don't think any of us are qualified to make that assessment to be honest.

To be blunt, none of us can make any assessments at this time.

I just find it almost unbelievable that a plane can suddenly vanish from the face of the planet, given how much technology we have today??? :/

Usually, when a plane explodes/disintegrates mid-air, debris will be scattered over a huge area. That nothing has been found yet suggests that either they are looking in the wrong places or the plane hasn't disintegrated.

Exactly WHAT has happened is a great question. 

• Like 2

If the plane was destroyed there would be at least some pieces of it or at least from luggage or cargo, Seems experts on TV say that the plane would've most certainly breakup into pieces if it crashed into the ocean.

Could also be they're looking in the wrong areas. It's technically possible the plane could've been hijacked. Oddly they haven't mentioned too see if the cell phone towers have picked up any signal from peoples cell phones or use of any data

from that. But then again who's to know what the IMEI #'s of the passengers phones are. Could be Terrorists hijacked plane to steal it too use for something. My theories only. Maybe it did crash and they're looking in the wrong areas too many questions and no answers.

Surely?

Clearly I'm no expert on plane crashes, but to me at least, it seems quite reasonable for there to be no trace if either they're looking in the wrong place, or it crashed in such an area as to provide cover.  For example, perhaps something caused it to disintegrate in the air and the debris is scattered over an area of jungle?  Certainly, the growth in such terrain would tend to hide debris.

Obviously, that's pure speculation on my part and could easily be wildly wrong (though it's a lot more likely than some suggestions I've seen! :p)

I think it'll be found eventually.  I don't think it'll be found intact though.

Usually, when a plane explodes/disintegrates mid-air, debris will be scattered over a huge area. That nothing has been found yet suggests that either they are looking in the wrong places or the plane hasn't disintegrated.

Exactly WHAT has happened is a great question. 

In fairness, it is a BIG ocean out there. ;)

Part of me wishes they would find debris or the 'black box' signal so as to end the mystery.

Part of me wishes that it turns out to be a strange hijacking, with all people alive & well, and all will be released in a month or two.

Hello,

There is no indication that it was a international call and "a few times"; Reports say they keep calling and it just keeps ringing until what I imagine a timeout occurs where it drops the call and/or goes to voicemail.

^ I have wondered if the passengers ever tried to call from the plane.

I imagine they would need to be fairly close to land and cell towers tho ....

Maybe that area of the world forbids mobile phone use, during flights.

Hello,

There is no indication that it was a international call and "a few times"; Reports say they keep calling and it just keeps ringing until what I imagine a timeout occurs where it drops the call and/or goes to voicemail.

Majority of those weren't local phone numbers being called. How it was explained in the news yesterday was if you call a cell phone outside a roaming area and/or cells in other countries, it transfers around til it finds the phone. Those transfers will ring while its looking. So if the plane was outside of any tower range, any call to any of those phones, will basically fall into the international roaming domain.

Image on CNN:

Tomnod6060200percentMikeSeberger-3189824

I believe that was already debunked as two ships side by side.

• Like 1