neoadorable

So I haven't played much of the Souls games as I've said, but these trailers give a very different impression of gameplay and setting to me.

There's almost a Res Evil / DMC vibe in there, but with the dials turned all the way up. The level of atmosphere and gothic / horror tones are through the roof, compared to Souls (at least from my ill experienced perspective) which leans more towards fantasy (dragons, knights, castles etc).  Can't wait to see more.

Title updated

The first thing that came to my mind when they revealed that you wield guns was DMC/Bayonetta, but i didn't say anything for fear of encurring the wrath of the Sould devotees :D

This could be great or it could be totally different from Souls in a bad way, i get the feeling it will be closer to DMC than to Souls. The feel is definitely more Dishonored/Thief than Souls, which is 13th or 14the century, while Bloodborne looks like a 17th or 18th century (in feel, i know they're all fictional universes)

• Like 1
+Audioboxer

Another leaked trailer

• Like 2
neoadorable

Well this does have the trademark From sense of humor and the obligatory torches...and by the way at 0:23 hurrah for fatty

• 2 weeks later...
D. S.

of2C2oT.png

This looks... wow.

• 1 month later...
+Audioboxer

Ohhhh I can't wait...

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
+Audioboxer

*head explodes*

• Like 2
+Audioboxer

Amazing

I like how more offence based the game is, no more holding up your shield and circle strafing. Movement seems quicker so it all seems about offensive opportunities and dodging which should change up the gameplay style enough so this isn't just "Demons Souls 2".

Really digging the gothic vibe as well, and the new gore/blood is a stepup from Demons/Dark.

The guns as well are more about stun effects, possibly the idea behind replacing shields (although we do not have it confirmed if they are totally removed). No fear of this becoming a TPS lol.

• Like 1
trooper11

Wow, I really like the look of the combat/movement.

That is a great improvement over Demons Souls.

• Like 1
Andrew

I'm guessing FS have 2 teams? Which one worked on BB?

+Audioboxer

I'm guessing FS have 2 teams? Which one worked on BB?

Demons Souls/Dark Souls team with Mizyaki producing.

Dark Souls 2 was "B" team with Mizyaki only overseeing instead of producing.

• 3 weeks later...
+Audioboxer

Just got emailed about an invite to participate in the alpha test!

Filled out the form, fingers crossed!

• Like 3
KoL

Just got emailed about an invite to participate in the alpha test!

Filled out the form, fingers crossed!

What????? HOW????

Andrew

God I hope I don't suck at playing this game. It looks too good.

30 mins of gameplay

• Like 2
+Audioboxer

Was just about to post that! You beat me for once :P

• Like 1
trooper11

Wow, thanks a lot for sharing such a long gameplay video. This is exactly what I wanted to see. It has confirmed that my excitement for this game is not unfounded. I just hope I can actually complete it. I'll admit that the Dark Souls series is one that I have a real hard time completing simply due to difficulty. I hope my experience there will mean an easier time with BB :laugh:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
+Audioboxer

Played this at Eurogamer. Was amazing :D I know the alpha test has just started, my download is almost done. But the SP portion I played at Eurogamer was great. Its not Demons Souls 2, it keeps familiar elements but its faster paced and based around aggressive attacking now.

• Like 2
Andrew

Played this at Eurogamer. Was amazing :D I know the alpha test has just started, my download is almost done. But the SP portion I played at Eurogamer was great. Its not Demons Souls 2, it keeps familiar elements but its faster paced and based around aggressive attacking now.

I like what I hear both from yourself and elsewhere, but the insane difficulty will probably kill my enjoyment of the game :(

spacer

So I played the alpha last night. It literally is Demon/Dark Souls with a new coat of paint. (that's a good thing!) I felt right at home with the controls and combat. There are messages left by other players, gravestones that show their recent deaths, jolly cooperation, and cryptic items/story. It's all there.

The graphics look great. It's the same type of art style as the other 'Souls' games, but with way more effects and post-processing. Though, it being an alpha, I did notice some extreme performance problems at some points. Specifically during co-op or when there was a lot of water or fire on the screen. Hopefully they fix that before launch, though I know there was some performance issues with the other 'Souls' games...

And I really like the transforming weapons. The transforming animations are cool to watch, and it also gives the player a small and large weapon at the same time; each with different strengths and weaknesses. I think my favorite was the sword/hammer, "kirkhammer" I think? It will be cool to see if you can equip different "pieces" to create different variations of a transforming weapon. If not, I'm not worried that there will be enough variety in the weapon list come launch.

I like and don't like the shift from past 'Souls' games shield/defense approach to Bloodborne's dodge/countershot approach. It plays well enough, but I kept getting that feeling that I wish I had a shield to just block attacks rather than continually move/shoot. Maybe that will go away once the game launches and I play more of it.

The boss at the "end" of the alpha was your typical 'Souls' boss: large, overpowering, and awesome looking. I also love that the gun can stun bosses. (at least this one) So the boss fight was more than a tank-n-spank. (dodge-n-spank?) There is a bit of strategy there (trying to get in a gun shot to the head) besides knowing when to dodge. Seems like the game will keep up the tradition of awesome boss fights.

And combat in general rewards timing more than past 'Souls' games. There is countershots which act like parries, and they did away with instant backstabs, which I like because the PvE combat stays non-trivial the whole time. I can only see this as a good thing for PvP. No more phantom backstabs, yay!

So far though, if you're a fan of Demon/Dark Souls, you'll enjoy this game. It's definitely a 'Souls' game, even if it's not in the name.

+Audioboxer

And it still has the framerate issues of a Souls game :p

I'm sure they will be fixed up though, no excuses on this hardware. This is the same demo I played at Eurogamer by the way, was hoping the alpha might have been new content for me, but I guess the less spoiled the better.

Hiding behind a 100% block shield has always been a Souls thing, I think it's good this time it seems that is getting changed up. A 4th entry too similar to the others and it might have begun to get a little formulaic.

• Like 1
+Audioboxer

Alpha test back online for a few hours!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      Sony still in talks with Microsoft, but cloud strategy to be 'only on PlayStation'
      by Usama Jawad

The cloud is the next frontier which tech giants such as Microsoft, Sony, Google, and Amazon seem to be interested in conquering. Microsoft and Sony even signed a strategic partnership back in 2019, which included the use of Azure, AI solutions, and more for content streaming. The deal caught many by surprise given the firms' rivalry in gaming but nothing tangible has emerged so far.

Now, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan has confirmed that Sony is still collaborating with Microsoft, but its cloud strategy will be solely about the PlayStation.

In an interview with Nikkei (paywall, Japanese, translated by VGC), Jim Ryan went on to say that:

The statement is vague enough to be open to anyone's interpretation. To us, it seems like Sony will use Microsoft's Azure-based infrastructure for technical tooling, but at the end of the day, the solution will solely be for the benefit of PlayStation gamers rather than a cross-platform audience. Of course, plans like these can change anytime.

When asked about the future of cloud gaming and its potential to disrupt console release cycles, Ryan emphasized that "history shows that sales peak in the third or fourth year. At the end of the cycle, the cloud may play some role." When it came to the question about whether the PlayStation 5 will be the last console from Sony, Ryan understandably did not give a straightforward answer and stated that the company is currently evaluating how gamers are enjoying the console, and only after its own investigation is complete will it be able to "think about the future of PlayStation".

Importantly, Sony did boost its PlayStation Now infrastructure recently with support for 1080p gaming, so the firm is definitely interested in the potential of the cloud. That said, only time will tell whether it is ready to go all-in on its cloud strategy, whatever that may end up being.

• By Usama Jawad96
      PlayStation Now is finally getting support for 1080p streaming
      by Usama Jawad

There are two core services which make up the online PlayStation experience: namely PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now. You can find out more details about each of them in our dedicated article here, but in a nutshell, the former allows you to play multiplayer games online and also throws in a selection of games each month that you can play for free. Meanwhile, the latter allows you to stream a vast library of games to your PS4, PS5, or PC.

Up until now, streaming on PlayStation Now has been limited to 720p resolution, which doesn't impact old PlayStation games as much, but significantly pulls back the visual fidelity in newer titles. This is set to change soon as Sony has announced that it will start supporting 1080p streaming for capable games this week:

It is interesting to note that Sony first promised to roll out support for 1080p streaming back in 2019, and it took two years for the plan to come to fruition.

All in all, this is good news for gamers because it offers them titles in higher resolution, bringing them in line with the visual fidelity offered by games being played in the traditional method. On the other side of the fence, cloud gaming via Xbox Game Pass is currently limited to 720p too, but we do know that Microsoft is testing out support for 1080p streaming internally as well.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Sony reverses PlayStation 3 and Vita store closure decision
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

In April, Sony revealed that its PlayStation 3, Portable, and Vita digital stores will soon become inaccessible, as the PlayStation Store will shut down across these platforms later this summer. However, after much criticism from the community, the decision has now been rolled back, though not entirely.

In a new announcement, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO and president Jim Ryan plainly said the company had originally "made the wrong decision". The PlayStation Store will continue to be available across the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita devices, however, the PlayStation Portable's digital store will close as previously planned on July 2.

Regarding how the company came to the original decision, Ryan said the following:

Sony's quick turnaround after vigorous community feedback is a similar move to what Microsoft pulled in January, where the company had to backpedal heavily on the Xbox Live Gold price doubling measures after facing a tremendous community backlash of its own.

"We see now that many of you are incredibly passionate about being able to continue purchasing classic games on PS3 and PS Vita for the foreseeable future, so I’m glad we were able to find a solution to continue operations," Ryan added regarding what had changed Sony's mind.

• By Namerah S
      Sony Xperia 1 III and Xperia 5 III price revealed on Sony Russia website
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

In a launch event that was live-streamed on YouTube yesterday, Sony announced its latest trio of smartphones under the Xperia branding. The Japanese conglomerate unveiled the Xperia 1 III, Xperia 5 III, and Xperia 10 III.

Almost all the key specifications of the three smartphones were unveiled yesterday. However, Sony chose not to share the exact launch dates and prices of the Xperia devices. Thanks to two new listings on Sony Russia's online store, spotted by Android Authority, the Russian prices are now known. These are likely to be similar in other parts of the world such as the U.S., giving people approximate figures for the phones once they launch in those places as well.

As seen on Sony.ru, the Xperia 1 III boasting a 6.5-inch 4K HDR OLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate, 21:9 aspect ratio and Gorilla Glass Victus is priced at 99,990 RUB ($1,313.31). The device also features the Snapdragon 888 5G chipset, a 4500mAh with 30W fast-charging, and a quad-camera setup that includes a variable telephoto lens paired with a dual PD sensor.

Meanwhile, the Xperia 5 III is selling for RUB 84,990 ($1,116.29) on the Russian site. The second Xperia device features a 6.1-inch 21:9 HDR 120Hz OLED display with a 21:9 aspect ratio and Gorilla Glass 6. It uses the same SoC as the Xperia 1 III, the SD 888 5G chip, and also has a 4500mAh with 30W fast-charging. Both smartphones have IPX5 and IP X8 waterproof certifications paired with IP6X dustproof ratings.

Pre-orders for the two smartphones are currently open on Sony Russia's online store. As for the launch date, Sony Russia has teased launch promotion on its official Instagram handle, revealing Russian release dates and pre-order bonuses for the region.

As seen in the promo banners shared by Sony Russia on the social media platform, the Xperia 1 III is set to arrive on July 20 while the Xperia 5 III is scheduled to launch on August 3. Both Xperia products will ship with a pair of Sony WF-XB700 true wireless earbuds as a pre-purchase bonus.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Days Gone launches May 18 on PC, platform specific enhancements detailed
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Sony and Bend Studio announced in February that Days Gone will soon leave its PlayStation exclusivity behind, with the action survival horror game getting a PC release this year. Now, that release has a launch date attached to it. Days Gone is launching across Steam and the Epic Games Store on May 18.

As with most other console ports nowadays, the PC version is landing with additional enhancements over the original 2019 PlayStation 4 version. Bend Studio says the new version has "increased level of detail, foliage draw distances, and graphical customization" options for much better visuals.

Support for unlocked frame rates, ultra-wide monitors, keyboard and mouse, as well as first- and third-party controllers were confirmed as well. Moreover, there will be a Super Resolution Photo Mode included here, an upgraded version of what is available in the original.

Days Gone PC pre-orders are now available across Steam and Epic Games Store for $49.99. Following this launch, and with Horizon Zero Dawn now behind it, Sony is planning to bring even more PlayStation exclusives to PC, though no specific games have been announced just yet.