February 24th, 2015 Update

Sony still committed to DriveClub PlayStation Plus Edition launch "as quickly as possible"

Sony has confirmed that it is continuing to work on the PlayStation Plus Edition of PS4-exclusive DriveClub.

The comments come after Sony Computer Entertainment Europe boss Jim Ryan recently declined to confirm whether the racer's long-delayed lite version would still launch at all.

"We are continually working on improving the server capacity to enable us to launch the PS Plus Edition as quickly as possible," a Sony spokesperson told Eurogamer.

"Although currently we do not have an update regarding the timing for the launch."

DriveClub suffered from a disastrous release. Delayed, then dropped onto Sony's servers in a dire state, the title has slowly been improved by a long series of patches and free DLC.

Server problems scuppered Sony's original plans to offer the PS Plus Edition alongside the game's full retail launch - which at one point was due to happen alongside the PS4 itself.

The PS Plus Edition was announced as being "temporarily held back" in October last year. Plus subscribers have been left waiting for more news ever since.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-24-sony-commited-to-driveclub-playstation-plus-edition-launch-as-quickly-as-possible

That is not solved by throwing more servers at....We've already been told it's a coding problem. It does not take 5 months to set up servers for a game which is already live & kicking online :no:

Server CAPACITY. Mentioned numerous times by Evolution, and yet AGAIN today. Proof is above. We have already been told it is a server capacity problem.

/discussion

Server CAPACITY. Mentioned numerous times by Evolution, and yet AGAIN today. Proof is above. We have already been told it is a server capacity problem.

/discussion

So then why are more servers not simply added to the total? Are you seriously under the belief that it has taken this long to set them up?

A game which is running smoothly and isn't bursting at the seams with player numbers or demand? The capcity is so full, that not a single new owner of the game can connect until they've added more servers?

That's why it's still on sale, and any number of people could purchase and join online at any time?

So then why are more servers not simply added to the total? Are you seriously under the belief that it has taken this long to set them up?

A game which is running smoothly and isn't bursting at the seams with player numbers or demand? The capcity is so full, that not a single new owner of the game can connect until they've added more servers?

That's why it's still on sale, and any number of people could purchase and join online at any time?

If you don't believe them then take it up with them not me.

The initial problem was DDOSing of servers. It didn't matter how many people were trying to play, the way they had setup online even 1 persons individual connection was inefficiently trying to send and receive information too often or without an effective countersafe to prevent hammering. The game pulls in ghosts and challenges during SP mode, in essence an always-connected environment. They were naive about how that works and hammered their own servers.

Sure, once the PS+ edition opens up as free a ton of people will at least try it. Server capacity will come into the equation, but preventing DDOSing was far more important than server capacity initially. It wouldn't matter how many servers they had if the net code wasn't fixed not to hammer the servers for the most basic of tasks (pulling in the ghosts and your friend list stats).

For a 1st party dev server capacity isn't really going to be an issue in the way it could be for third party or a dev without the financial capabilities. It is naive to think that capacity was the only issue, it wouldn't have taken the best part of a month to fix the netcode if all that was needed was some servers a corporation the size of Sony should be able to sign off on within a much shorter period of time.

I also don't doubt to save face after a poor network launch they are taking it very safely now, the PS+ edition has to launch without a hitch. Also they'll never admit it, but they'll be taking advantage of consumers patience to some degree as well, putting the game on sale mixed in with the positive press it's received from gamers (especially after DLC and the weather patch), to get people to shell out for it rather than wait.

I'm pretty sure you've studied Networking Andy so you'll know better than me. However I have read into DDOSing a lot more since Lizardsquad, Driveclub issues and it being in the news quite a bit as of late (how hard it is to prevent it). If DDOSing can take down MS, who are supposed to be the posterboy for software, networking and the cloud infrastructure, it can sure as hell taken down Driveclub to devistating effect.

Audioboxer, on 25 Feb 2015 - 04:54, said:

I also don't doubt to save face after a poor network launch they are taking it very safely now, the PS+ edition has to launch without a hitch. Also they'll never admit it, but they'll be taking advantage of consumers patience to some degree as well, putting the game on sale mixed in with the positive press it's received from gamers (especially after DLC and the weather patch), to get people to shell out for it rather than wait.

One of the smartest things they can do. Do not release the PSN+ edition until they are confident and they have all the bugs ironed out and that they can please the consumer. That has been a HUGE problem this gen with these new games.

• 2 weeks later...

Layoffs hit the DriveClub team, turning the rest of them into a group designed to "service" the existing DriveClub game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-19-layoffs-at-driveclub-developer-evolution

Putting some people in existing positions at Sony and letting others go. I assume that means no development of DC2, at least not now.

Layoffs hit the DriveClub team, turning the rest of them into a group designed to "service" the existing DriveClub game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-19-layoffs-at-driveclub-developer-evolution

Putting some people in existing positions at Sony and letting others go. I assume that means no development of DC2, at least not now.

They can start pre-production on DC2 at some point, and eventually rehire, but at least they're not closing Evolution.

They can start pre-production on DC2 at some point, and eventually rehire, but at least they're not closing Evolution.

I don't think they closed it yet so that they can get the remainder of the DLC out for DriveClub, put out the PSN+ edition, and monitor the servers and patch. They still need a team for that.

• 7 months later...

Bit of a necro bump, but bikes are now live on PSN

So this is a "stand-alone expansion" does that mean if you play bikes you only get bikes or if you own both can your race mixed races with bikes and cars running around the same track together?

So this is a "stand-alone expansion" does that mean if you play bikes you only get bikes or if you own both can your race mixed races with bikes and cars running around the same track together?

It's an expansion if you have Driveclub, but you can buy it on it's own if you do not. Not sure how it all works yet - Although I'd guess if you own Driveclub you need to launch it to play this, but if you don't, you have an XMB standalone icon. 

There's something special about that Norway snow track!

Imagine trying that in VR! By the way there seems to be another platinum trophy included for the bikes expansion for those that care!

• Like 1

Imagine trying that in VR! By the way there seems to be another platinum trophy included for the bikes expansion for those that care!

lol just as I post this I find VR is in development - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-28-driveclub-debuts-on-playstation-vr-and-its-mightily-impressive