I think all the talk about this game revolves around expectations.  If you read this: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/05/51-driveclub-details-might-just-blow-mind/ it sounds like it's basically a bunch of artists trying to outdo each other (see 13).  Technically really cool but what about the base of it?  So it's a good track racer.  Isn't GT6?  What does it improve?  It seems it's the same type of track racing game.  Except with less cars.  And only European cars.  And no tuning.  And less tracks.  So from the surface it seems like an extremely pretty game that is less of a game than previous ones.

Granted, I'm saying that as an outsider who will probably never get his hands on this.

I think all the talk about this game revolves around expectations.  If you read this: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/05/51-driveclub-details-might-just-blow-mind/ it sounds like it's basically a bunch of artists trying to outdo each other (see 13).  Technically really cool but what about the base of it?  So it's a good track racer.  Isn't GT6?  What does it improve?  It seems it's the same type of track racing game.  Except with less cars.  And only European cars.  And no tuning.  And less tracks.  So from the surface it seems like an extremely pretty game that is less of a game than previous ones.

Granted, I'm saying that as an outsider who will probably never get his hands on this.

Your points are valid, but it's the social element they always hoped to focus on heavily, not the sim side of things. And so far thanks to server issues "half" their game has been cut off...

Your points are valid, but it's the social element they always hoped to focus on heavily, not the sim side of things. And so far thanks to server issues "half" their game has been cut off...

Yeah, I think this is a game that's getting beat up because it really needed more time in the oven, but the realities of "releasing on time" (or more in line with competition) are heavy.

On the flip side, after rereading that list it seems like their attention could've been more focused.

Well, I think what we're all learning is that Driveclub really really really needed a beta.  Looking at this article, there seems to be a lot of "we need to fix server issues" and "we're listening to feedback and looking into making changes" and "more cars are coming!".

An actual beta would've done wonders for that long before launch.

I've seen the gameplay videos and it does look very pretty.... excuse me, I mean it is GORGEOUS to look at  :woot: ....

Does this game lean more on the arcade side of racing or the sim side of racing?  

I'm more of a Mario Kart, Cruisin' USA, Burnout Paradise type of person, if DC leans more into this aspect of racing, I may pick it up.

FH2 is way above my skill set with driving.

I've seen the gameplay videos and it does look very pretty.... excuse me, I mean it is GORGEOUS to look at  :woot: ....

Does this game lean more on the arcade side of racing or the sim side of racing?  

I'm more of a Mario Kart, Cruisin' USA, Burnout Paradise type of person, if DC leans more into this aspect of racing, I may pick it up.

FH2 is way above my skill set with driving.

I personally think the actual racing leans more towards sim. Cars react as they should. So they are not just put the pedal to the medal and drive.

Where people seem to feel it fails as a sim is the fact there is no tuning and no liveries and all of the other aspects that people expect with a sim.

But the actual mechanics of driving are more realistic than not. But then they add arcade aspects like giving points during a race for drifting, driving lines perfectly, etc. etc.

It really sits somewhere between the two, but I do feel the driving itself, steering, accelerating, braking, all behave like real world driving. If you are in a fast car and try to brake while turning, you will spin out just like you would in real life. If you take a corner slow but then try to mash the pedal while still in your turn, you will spin out. All of the real world rules of driving apply.

That is why I have been saying it reminds me more a sim, as the driving is 90% of the gameplay.

But I get why people are insisting on saying it is more arcade, as it does not have all of the other elements of a sim racing game that are expected.

I joined the GAF club you invited me to Larry, and I also invited @winter__bones on Twitter. GAF name Winterbones.

Hope you don't mind. Servers were sketchy again last night when we tried MP :/

Sorry Anarkii about the Neowin club, no one else joined lol, it was just me and you.

I personally think the actual racing leans more towards sim. Cars react as they should. So they are not just put the pedal to the medal and drive.

Where people seem to feel it fails as a sim is the fact there is no tuning and no liveries and all of the other aspects that people expect with a sim.

But the actual mechanics of driving are more realistic than not. But then they add arcade aspects like giving points during a race for drifting, driving lines perfectly, etc. etc.

It really sits somewhere between the two, but I do feel the driving itself, steering, accelerating, braking, all behave like real world driving. If you are in a fast car and try to brake while turning, you will spin out just like you would in real life. If you take a corner slow but then try to mash the pedal while still in your turn, you will spin out. All of the real world rules of driving apply.

That is why I have been saying it reminds me more a sim, as the driving is 90% of the gameplay.

But I get why people are insisting on saying it is more arcade, as it does not have all of the other elements of a sim racing game that are expected.

I would say there is clearly more arcade to this game than sim in my experience. It's not because of the social aspects or challenges. It's because of the way the cars feel arcadey, like a throw back to the 80s/90s in car feel, throwing them around the track. No damage (beside a little cosmetic), and rubber band AI. Not that it's a bad thing mind you, because that is what we wanted. A tried and true arcade racer that brings us back to the days of Sega Genesis' NFS for example. It nails it here. Though the game in it's current size should be half the price. Luckily I got it for $10 less being an PSN+ member.

Wasn't sure if to buy DriveClub or wait for Project Cars.  But friend wanted a PS4, so persuaded him to buy the DC bundle and gave him ?30 for the copy that games with it.  So both happy now.

I would say there is clearly more arcade to this game than sim in my experience. It's not because of the social aspects or challenges. It's because of the way the cars feel arcadey, like a throw back to the 80s/90s in car feel, throwing them around the track. No damage (beside a little cosmetic), and rubber band AI. Not that it's a bad thing mind you, because that is what we wanted. A tried and true arcade racer that brings us back to the days of Sega Genesis' NFS for example. It nails it here. Though the game in it's current size should be half the price. Luckily I got it for $10 less being an PSN+ member.

That is one thing the game really doesn't have. If you race well and out front the AI won't catch you. Yes it is arcadey, but you can't drift around every corner at high speed, if you don't learn the tracks you'll spin out easily. There's no driving line either.

How much have you played of the game? Thought you would have had some trophies in it by now? :P

Wasn't sure if to buy DriveClub or wait for Project Cars.  But friend wanted a PS4, so persuaded him to buy the DC bundle and gave him ?30 for the copy that games with it.  So both happy now.

Good choice, considering PC isn't out until  March, that would be a long wait. And from what I have seen, PC isn't ready for prime time...the handling of the cars are horrible right now. Still similar to SHIFT in how they are handling.

That is one thing the game really doesn't have. If you race well and out front the AI won't catch you. Yes it is arcadey, but you can't drift around every corner at high speed, if you don't learn the tracks you'll spin out easily. There's no driving line either.

How much have you played of the game? Thought you would have had some trophies in it by now? :p

Nope, but we have been playing it on my sons side (as I got for him as a bday gift). But I can play with you on my side tonight if you like. We have about 10 hours in between the two of us so far. And yeah, the rubber banding can be pretty bad at times. It's been noted by many others including in some reviews. But again, that relates similar to the old days.

I can say I have not experienced AI rubber banding once. If I get out on front of AI, and drive with no mistakes, I stay in front of them. Never has the AI overtaken me when I did not deserve them too, and on the opposite side, I stay ahead of them if I drive accordingly.

So yeah, just not sure where that is coming from, as I am not seeing it myself.

I joined the GAF club you invited me to Larry, and I also invited @winter__bones on Twitter. GAF name Winterbones.

Hope you don't mind. Servers were sketchy again last night when we tried MP :/

Sorry Anarkii about the Neowin club, no one else joined lol, it was just me and you.

That is why I invited you, I saw the Neowin club was not really an actual club, and we needed a few more people in ours.

• Like 1

I can say I have not experienced AI rubber banding once. If I get out on front of AI, and drive with no mistakes, I stay in front of them. Never has the AI overtaken me when I did not deserve them too, and on the opposite side, I stay ahead of them if I drive accordingly.

So yeah, just not sure where that is coming from, as I am not seeing it myself.

That is why I invited you, I saw the Neowin club was not really an actual club, and we needed a few more people in ours.

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it's not there my friend. The game director already stated that they programmed the game so that if you get behind, they slow the AI down.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/10/09/driveclub-rubber-band-ai-explained-further-online-service-disruption-expected-in-next-24-hours/

The AI cannot cheat, & will never artificially catch up to you! They will slow down a little though if you get too far behind.

Here it is in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmw74XTSZps

You will see of course, they are all rubberbanded together at the end of lap 2, which has been a pretty common experience. It's rubber band, but it's still fun.

I think this is where the confusion lies.

Rubber banding to me is about them catching up to you if you pass them.

You pass them, and an invisible "rubber band" snaps them back to you and helps them pass you.

While I guess I see why people may have an issue with it, I have no issues with the game doing it the other way around. They want people to have fun.

Rubber banding has always been about both. Catching up or letting you catch up, and AI staying stagnant and in a line together do so. Maybe they will add an option later to disable the rubber banding as an option.

I think this is where the confusion lies.

Rubber banding to me is about them catching up to you if you pass them.

You pass them, and an invisible "rubber band" snaps them back to you and helps them pass you.

While I guess I see why people may have an issue with it, I have no issues with the game doing it the other way around. They want people to have fun.

Pretty much. It's already quite tough to get into pole position as it is, if you spin off the track having the AI behave completely as another player would mean resetting the track every single time you crash (if you cared about top 3). The AI does make mistakes as well, I have seen them spin out and crash, even with each other. 

The rubber banding that is annoying is getting into 1st and feeling you are unfairly overtaken or caught up on.

"This is where a rewind feature is needed!"

For some yeah, but others don't like that ez-mode built into the game and would rather people are forced to learn tracks and only be able to make one or two mistakes, if any at all.

For some yeah, but others don't like that ez-mode built into the game and would rather people are forced to learn tracks and only be able to make one or two mistakes, if any at all.

I don't have any desire to use rewind. But no reason they can't put it in the game. Nobody would be forcing you to use rewind. I would rather not dictate whether or not other people are forced to do anything.

More options are good. Option to disable rubber banding would be great, no reason to NOT make that an option.

Hi, i'm buying my first PS4 this Friday coming with Drive Club, i heard about this online problem, is that only for if you want to play online only?

Hi, i'm buying my first PS4 this Friday coming with Drive Club, i heard about this online problem, is that only for if you want to play online only?

Yep, regular game still works, and for the most part all of the problems are gone anyway.

Yeah I'd really like to download my PS+ copy sometime this year... :/

You didn't pay for the PS+ version so it's not a big deal in that respect - I shelled out top price for the game on release and it hasn't worked once as advertised.

You didn't pay for the PS+ version so it's not a big deal in that respect - I shelled out top price for the game on release and it hasn't worked once as advertised.

I both agree and disagree. This is a game that was promised to us for the PS4 launch. Then it was delayed. Then it was released, but not given to us, with no ETA of it being released/fixed any time soon.

That said, if I'd paid for the game, by now I would be asking for a refund. There's having issues, then there's not doing proper testing and not fixing issues within a reasonable amount of time.

Yep, regular game still works, and for the most part all of the problems are gone anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I shall be buying this friday for ?349, can't wait!!