Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones

Incredible. Microsoft fixes stupid tiny issues like the colors, but my phone is still rebooting randomly with Windows 10 and causing my SD card to break. I' gonna try to reset the phone, but if it happens again, I'm going back to 8.1.

I will miss linked inboxes! i have 4 email accounts and go forward go back etc is not a good deal. I don't want to create rules to send emails to one account. What can i do? this is "evolution". I have sended a lot of feedback  on this one.

Do you mean all your inboxes reported together? Because that's what I was complaining about that I didn't like.  In the previous build using Outlook all my accounts (Exchange, Hotmail and Gmail) would report one number of emails available.  They do get segregated separately within the app.

is store crash in for anyone else ? I get the blue background for about 10 seconds and then a black screen with "the server stumbled" followed by a c2d.

Will the latest build only use wifi if you have mobile data disabled? I tried one of the earlier builds and it went ahead and used data when I had it turned off in the settings.

I don't mind bugs that cost me time. I do mind bugs that cost me money.

Okay, forget it, going back to 8.1. Windows 10 Mobile is hell.

I do believe it's going to stay that way

I do believe it's going to stay that way

They have months to fix it, and I believe they will, it's just completely unusable right now.

I think we'll be surprised and see some new stuff in the mobile build later on.  I think they're holding off on features till they can get the current code stable enough so people can actually test things.

I think we'll be surprised and see some new stuff in the mobile build later on.  I think they're holding off on features till they can get the current code stable enough so people can actually test things.

I think it's probably feature locked until the launch of Windows 10 for computers. After that they'll work on things such as the new messaging app and all that, which will be in Windows 10 Mobile on launch and adeed via an update to computers.

I think it's probably feature locked until the launch of Windows 10 for computers. After that they'll work on things such as the new messaging app and all that, which will be in Windows 10 Mobile on launch and adeed via an update to computers.

That's what I think, we still haven't seen the reported new mobile Skype integration and so on.   Who knows what else?

Everyone complaining here that Windows 10 Mobile will suck when it's RTM are the same people who said that about Windows 10 for desktops. The latest desktop builds are extremely stable.

Running build 10166 on a Lumia 820

*After entering the pin when the phone starts up, "Loading..." flashes a few times before the start screen appears.

*Weather app crashes on startup. Why is this a built in app? Sigh.

*UC browser cannot log into webpages. Microsoft, google or any other site it will keep telling you the password is incorrect. Reinstalled UC, rebooted. Same thing.

*Download progress bar in app store is unreliable. Will keep showing a download at x% when the apo has long been installed

This phone was updated from 8.1.

Otherwise running smoothly and edge is working well.

Wow... I am very happy with build 10166 in my 1520... There are some bugs that does not bother me at all but this build is pretty stable and faster than 10149. This is definitely the build that if anyone was waiting to jump, they should do it now.

Everyone complaining here that Windows 10 Mobile will suck when it's RTM are the same people who said that about Windows 10 for desktops. The latest desktop builds are extremely stable.

QFT. 10166 is smooth as butter on my Lumia 920, I guess it must be better on newer phones. I only have two major issues - edge and start screen.

Very offten start screen won't launch apps from their tiles and only way around it is a reboot!

Edge - It is a complete mess on my phone, my 7" tablet and my laptop. I can't believe basic browser functionality this broken near RTM(don't really care about extensions which is coming later).

Overall it is much better than previous build I had on it (can't recall which build!)

-Groove music is now usable

-Outlook is getting there but linked inboxes and pinned tiles are a problem. Yes, you can pin individual mailboxes but all of them have same icons. WTF?! Performance is still less than optimal.

-Photos: still ######ed up.

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting to see any feature that makes giving up the Office license worth it.  Such a foolish, greedy blunder.

WP/RT are the true casualties here with Win10.

I don't see why?  The new office apps for mobile are better than the ones in WP before, and they're still free for mobile devices, you don't need a Office 365 subscription unless you're on a bigger device from what I remember.

Everything is more consistent now between phone and tablet/desktop, not 100% but more than it was with Win8 and WP8.

Chinese media is now reporting that a brand new build is being tested locally, which could provide us with a quick glimpse into the version that Microsoft might be releasing to our Windows 10 Mobile devices soon.

This new build is 10512, which is a huge jump from 10166, the current version of Windows 10 Mobile that was released to insiders more than one month ago. So Microsoft might indeed focus a little bit more on the mobile version now that the PC build is out, but it remains to be seen if this information is accurate or not.

Increased focus on mobile

Last month, Microsoft promised to focus more on Windows 10 Mobile once the PC version goes live, and it turns out this is indeed the case, if the new build number is indeed real.

Basically, with this huge version jump, Microsoft could be signaling a major batch of improvements, which could in its turn be the result of changes to accelerate work on the project. More developers were supposed to move from the PC version to the smartphone once Windows 10 got the green light, in order to make the new operating system ready for the big launch later this year.

As for the release date, nothing is certain so far, but Gabriel Aul, head of the Windows Insider program, has hinted that a fresh mobile build is projected to see daylight anytime soon, as the company is working on creating a new branch for insiders (mostly thanks to OS work advancing very well).

Windows 10 Mobile build 10240 was held back from the public release because of a blocking bug, so 10512 could be the next big release for insiders.

• General improvement in overall stability and performance.
  • You can now set the Lock screen and background image from within the Photos app.
  • We fixed an issue where apps installed on SD cards weren’t working after a reboot.
  • We have improved Latvian and Chinese inputs.
  • We have made improvements to the Kid’s Corner tile layout.
  • We have improved reliability of Data Sense notifications.
  • Modified Shape Writing algorithm to be less aggressive in suggesting contact names over common words.
  • Resolved an issue where Camera would not launch when the phone was locked.
  • We fixed an issue where notifications for incoming text messages weren’t appearing.
  • We fixed an issue where the touch screen wouldn’t be responsive after ending a phone call on some devices.
  • And we fixed an issue where folder tiles have obviously overlapping text.

Some of these issues are quite significant - for example, the Movies & TV app doesn't work at all in this build due to video playback faults. There are various other problems and issues to be on the lookout for, which Microsoft detailed in its release notes for build 10512:

• Mobile hotspot doesn’t work in this build. When sharing the Internet from your phone using Mobile Hotspot, devices will fail to get a valid IP address from your phone and will show no internet access.
  • Two-factor authentication for your MSA with a phone number doesn’t work in this build. If you reset your phone and go through the first run experience, you won’t be able to input more than 2 characters for validating phone or text authentication. If you have a secondary email for two-factor authentication – you can choose that. As a workaround, add secondary email for two-factor authentication.
  • Some phones might spend a long time in the post update migration experience – just let the phone sit and it should complete this migration.
  • Apps that use background audio such as Groove, Podcast, Pandora, etc. will crash when launching after receiving an app update from the Store. Rebooting the device will resolve this issue.
  • Some phones with a large number of tiles pinned to the Start screen may get stuck in a state where the device shows “Loading…”; the device will need to be reset or rolled back to Windows Phone 8.1 using Windows Phone Recovery Tool.
  • Some apps may fail to update through the Store with the error code 0x80073cf9; uninstalling the application and reinstalling it will resolve this issue.
  • The Movies & TV app will not work in this build (video playback is currently broken).

How do you restore the Word app that gets installed with build 105xx? I uninstalled it by mistake and it's not in the Windows Store.