• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones

subcld    432

so is it photos app or Microsoft photos or windows photos ?  :rofl:

cjF9Mbk.jpg

QXPHUKx.jpg

U0Wzm97.jpg

• Like 1

indospot    246

Anyone with some experience of build 10149 on a Lumia 640 XL?

Well, I don't know about the XL, but my 640 is handling it just fine.

indospot    246

Guys, how much storage is being taken by "System" files on your phones? I don't understand why mine is at over 4GB when Windows Phone 8.1 was under 3. Do I need to reset the phone or is this normal?

BooBerry    2,671

The folks at Windows Central have discovered that, in the latest build of Windows 10 Mobile (build 10149), Microsoft has removed the cellular data cap for downloads from the Store.

So they devised an experiment which entailed downloading the 857.7MB heavy Asphalt 8 game on their phone. The result? The app downloaded seamlessly without any restriction involved.

Sure, for the time being, we can

• Like 7

BooBerry    2,671

new 'Calls+' is available to download as a standalone app from the Windows Phone Store, but it's not actually visible as a separate app on the handset itself. Instead, once installed, the app's features and configurable options are added to the device's Settings Hub.

There are various settings that can be adjusted with Calls+, such as forwarding calls to other numbers when your phone is 'unreachable', if the line is busy or if you don't answer, as well as the ability to switch Call Waiting on or off.

Calls+ also supports configuring these options on dual-SIM devices.

• Like 7

George P    5,573

new 'Calls+' is available to download as a standalone app from the Windows Phone Store, but it's not actually visible as a separate app on the handset itself. Instead, once installed, the app's features and configurable options are added to the device's Settings Hub.

There are various settings that can be adjusted with Calls+, such as forwarding calls to other numbers when your phone is 'unreachable', if the line is busy or if you don't answer, as well as the ability to switch Call Waiting on or off.

Calls+ also supports configuring these options on dual-SIM devices.

This app is interesting, not for it's complexity or what it adds to the system but the way it's installed and works inside the OS.  If they do this type of thing going forward I can see how it can be used to bypass the carriers and not being able to push out future OS updates.

For example, this adds features to the base OS, but it's installed and push out through the store like a app.  They should then technically be able to push out any or many feature "apps" to users, to extend things in the OS, be it messaging or other OS specific "built in" features.

I say this thing paints a pretty positive future for the platform if they do this more with mobile.

• Like 1

George P    5,573

New build info has come out, this time for mobile build 10158.

The site msmobile.pl allegedly got their hands on build 10158 of Windows 10 Mobile, up from the current Insider release of 10149. Although the changes are not massive from the posted screenshots, presumably the performance, reliability and battery life are all also better.

Microsoft Edge and Store tiles now have transparency ability

People app Live Tile now has animation

Camera app can now shoot video at 120 FPS at 728x576p resolution

Volume sliders are now slightly rounded on the edges

Wallet is back with support for rewards/loyalty cards, tickets, and boarding passes

Screenshots at http://www.windowscentral.com/leaked-windows-10-mobile-builds-new-animations

nyolc8    158

The tile resizing animation video shows another strange thing: centered tile text.

George P    5,573

The tile resizing animation video shows another strange thing: centered tile text.

We won't see that anytime soon, if ever, they say that internal testers at MS don't like it at all, but who knows, it could be a on/off type feature for those who do like it, and those who don't can just use the current method.   Still, it's in early alpha stages, probably not something till next year, who knows?   I'd just like the ability to swipe a tile and have it's notification clear/reset without having to open the app like with 8.1.1.

George P    5,573

Some Windows 10 Mobile Build 10158 info has come out thanks to someone over at XDA.

So far they say it's smoother than 10149, the beta name has been dropped from the Windows Store.   There's a number of screenshots posted as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-phone-8/general/dev-windows-10-mobile-build-10158-t3151955

Some other info posted has already been reported, like transparent tiles for edge and so on.

Ironman273    1,095

Is there a way to go back to 8.1?  I user the Windows Phone Recovery but it says my phone has the latest version of Windows (10149) and I only have an option to reinstall it.

George P    5,573

Is there a way to go back to 8.1?  I user the Windows Phone Recovery but it says my phone has the latest version of Windows (10149) and I only have an option to reinstall it.

That's weird, it should find the last "official" retail 8.1 build for your phone.  I haven't used the app because I have an HTC 8X so I dunno what to say.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile-build-10166-now-available-fast-ring-members

Windows 10 mobile build 10166 is now going out to fast ring users, check for updates guys!

Ironman273    1,095

That's weird, it should find the last "official" retail 8.1 build for your phone.  I haven't used the app because I have an HTC 8X so I dunno what to say.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile-build-10166-now-available-fast-ring-members

Windows 10 mobile build 10166 is now going out to fast ring users, check for updates guys!

A friend of mine was saying he had the same problem but only on the 930 (which is what I'm using) but he doesn't remember the fix.  I'll try the update first.  One thing that I think will make me move away from Windows Phone after 10 is the new mail.  I loved how you separated the accounts before and I could see whether I had messages that were to my personal account and relatively unimportant or to my work account that I would check immediately.  That and then  not even allowing you to put a notification on the lockscreen is really killing the experience for me.

Well, I'll try the new build and see how it goes.

George P    5,573

A friend of mine was saying he had the same problem but only on the 930 (which is what I'm using) but he doesn't remember the fix.  I'll try the update first.  One thing that I think will make me move away from Windows Phone after 10 is the new mail.  I loved how you separated the accounts before and I could see whether I had messages that were to my personal account and relatively unimportant or to my work account that I would check immediately.  That and then  not even allowing you to put a notification on the lockscreen is really killing the experience for me.

Well, I'll try the new build and see how it goes.

I was sure the new outlook mail app lets you pin any inbox you want to the start screen?  Infact I thought the problem with it now was that it doesn't support linked inboxes?

Ironman273    1,095

I was sure the new outlook mail app lets you pin any inbox you want to the start screen?  Infact I thought the problem with it now was that it doesn't support linked inboxes?

I'll check after I finish updating but I didn't see the option.  I still don't understand why they removed being able to see email notifications on the lock screen.

Ironman273    1,095

OK, well, that helps.  You can pin the individual mailboxes to the start screen, although I do miss the personalized icons for each service.  Also, they added back the ability to have your mail count appear on the lockscreen, both total or by individual mailbox.

Still can't get visual voicemail to work.

indospot    246

"Reinstalling" installs Windows Phone 8.1. I've tried it. There's no fix because it's working fine.

Meanwhile, I'm updating to the latest build now. Hope it's even better now.

• Like 1

Ironman273    1,095

"Reinstalling" installs Windows Phone 8.1. I've tried it. There's no fix because it's working fine.

Meanwhile, I'm updating to the latest build now. Hope it's even better now.

No it doesn't.  Not only have I tried it, but the build number is the same as what's installed on the phone.

On a separate note, when I change the Start screen background it goes to my Pictures in OneDrive.  I don't have a "Backgrounds" folder with the pictures like in 8.  In 10149 I had the diver in the background but in this new build my background is blank.

indospot    246

No it doesn't.  Not only have I tried it, but the build number is the same as what's installed on the phone.

I've restored my phone twice that way. It has to work.

subcld    432

try lumia software recovery tool i always use lumia software recovery tool instead of windows phone recovery tool

http://www.microsoft.com/en-sa/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA142987

Ironman273    1,095

try lumia software recovery tool i always use lumia software recovery tool instead of windows phone recovery tool

http://www.microsoft.com/en-sa/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA142987

OK, that does show an earlier version (9651.14234).  Is that 8.1?  I'm going to give the new build a try but thanks for pointing that out to me.

Stokkolm    336

This build is pretty damn good, I think I'll finally be able to run with Windows 10 full time now!

macoman    2,606

The only issue I found is that glance screen does not work.

RaulMR    7

I will miss linked inboxes! i have 4 email accounts and go forward go back etc is not a good deal. I don't want to create rules to send emails to one account. What can i do? this is "evolution". I have sended a lot of feedback  on this one.

Boris Kolenkov    0

The only issue I found is that glance screen does not work.

Add picture on the lock screen and try again.