• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones

George P    5,573

Anyone upgrade yet?  Post how it went and how it feels for you.  Also any screenshots would be nice.

indospot    246

Updating now.

subcld    432

installed it it took ages to pass gears of tears, some apps worked some kept crashing, after using it for a couple of minutes my phone felt like holding a hot cup of tea this happened multiple times, launching apps slow, laggy sometimes, not good enough to use it on my one and only phone im currently restoring windows phone 8.1. i think this time i'll stick to 8.1 until they release the final version. 

BooBerry    2,671

installed it it took ages to pass gears of tears, some apps worked some kept crashing, after using it for a couple of minutes my phone felt like holding a hot cup of tea this happened multiple times, launching apps slow, laggy sometimes, not good enough to use it on my one and only phone im currently restoring windows phone 8.1. i think this time i'll stick to 8.1 until they release the final version. 

Did you try resetting it to defaults?

• Like 7

George P    5,573

Some people said after a hard reset it cleared up any issues.  I think you should try that before you decide to roll all the way back to 8.1.

BajiRav    2,137

I had a post-update update (didn't bother to check details). The OS is much better than the last build I tried but still nowhere near "stable" but at least it is usable. I have two Phone and Search apps for some reason. :/

I have noticed some bugs

- Using semi-transparent tiles introduces a loading/resuming screen for start! (as if Resuming everywhere in 8.1 was not enough :laugh:)

- If I select the transparency similar to 8.1, then the wallpaper is repeated in every tile...every single one of them. :|

- Outlook doesn't seem to like my work email (Exchange!)

- Text is over-sized and cut in many live tiles.

Overall I like the new changes and subtle animations

+ Transparent keypad looks awesome

+ New dialer is nice (although now I have to fight muscle memory when answering calls :laugh:)

+ There is a subtle roll in animation on contact picture when placing a call. It looks really nice.

BooBerry    2,671

I had a post-update update (didn't bother to check details). The OS is much better than the last build I tried but still nowhere near "stable" but at least it is usable. I have two Phone and Search apps for some reason. :/

I have noticed some bugs

- Using semi-transparent tiles introduces a loading/resuming screen for start! (as if Resuming everywhere in 8.1 was not enough :laugh:)

- If I select the transparency similar to 8.1, then the wallpaper is repeated in every tile...every single one of them. :|

+ New dialer is nice (although now I have to fight muscle memory when answering calls :laugh:)

+ There is a subtle roll in animation on contact picture when placing a call. It looks really nice.

Sounds great & thanks for the information.

Can you post some screenshots of what you like(enhancements)

• Like 7

TPreston    5,389

This build has working VPN and SSTP is now a supported protocol :punk:

DogEars    14

Has anyone found a workaround for connecting mail into O365/Exchange?

Unfortunately, I need work email/calendar on my phone so I had to roll back to 8.1

• Like 1

indospot    246

I've seen too many things I don't like here:

-Navigation bar is too big and can't be hidden.

-Sometimes when unlocking the phone, the PIN pad won't show up and instead you get the full keyboard. Pressing back and swiping up again brings up the keypad, but it's no longer transparent.

-For some reason I can no longer create folders. I created one with both stores and next thing I know, when I try to create one with the Office apps, it doesn't work.

-Can't change the Start screen background

-Apps are slow to open

-The animation moving from the Start screen to the All Apps list is too fast and feels unnatural.

-Photos and Calculator weren't installed by default

-Music didn't work at first and kept redirecting me to the Store, but then I checked for app updates and the Music app was updated fixing the issue.

-Outlook Mail and Calendar worked fine at first then there was an update and they no longer work. Outlook Mail disappeared from the All Apps list, Calendar doesn't have an icon.

With that being said, I haven't tried to reset the phone, so I don't know if that will change anything.

TPreston    5,389

Has anyone found a workaround for connecting mail into O365/Exchange?

Unfortunately, I need work email/calendar on my phone so I had to roll back to 8.1

I got my 2 365 accounts working with the advanced setup workaround

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_call/adding-exchange-mailbox-to-outlook-fail-with/6ad19656-e5c8-48b6-8359-12817d34234f

For my xyz.onmicrosoft.com domain I left the domain field blank (trial and error) I also had a mobile device mailbox policicy  that I had to delete because it kept saying the device didn't meet the requirements after which the mail all came through.

For the contoso.com domain I entered contoso.com as the domain and it worked.

indospot    246

I managed to fix Outlook Calendar and Mail by using Storage Sense to uninstall the broken apps and then redownloading from the Store.

Ice_Blue    983

I have noticed some bugs

A hard reset takes care of most of these issues.

Unfortunately, it also wipes your device.

LostCat    1,341

I think I'm giving up on this until a bit closer to release o.O

The Store issues bug me.

indospot    246

I just reset my phone, let's see how it goes.

Stoffel    1,811

News about this build is sparse. I was hoping to read much more about it on the usual sites

BajiRav    2,137

Any idea what this icon indicates? :huh: Is my phone trying to play chess with me?

post-62693-0-99532600-1434593740.png

A hard reset takes care of most of these issues.

Unfortunately, it also wipes your device.

Trying that now. I don't really mind resetting my phone, only pain is getting my music back on it. OneDrive has made life easy. :)

• Like 1

BajiRav    2,137

My attempt to hard reset the phone has backfired :-(

now I don't have Phone and Settings apps. I have tried every button combination but it won't factory reset again. I guess back to 8.1U.

I really wanted to use 10 but I guess will wait for next build.

BooBerry    2,671

My attempt to hard reset the phone has backfired :-(

now I don't have Phone and Settings apps. I have tried every button combination but it won't factory reset again. I guess back to 8.1U.

I really wanted to use 10 but I guess will wait for next build.

tried hard reset?

• Like 7

BannanaNinja    39

Any idea what this icon indicates? :huh: Is my phone trying to play chess with me?

attachicon.gifwp_ss_20150618_0002.png

Trying that now. I don't really mind resetting my phone, only pain is getting my music back on it. OneDrive has made life easy. :)

The knight means the new lock screen is being used instead of the old one. It just makes it easier for the developers to tell which one is being used when people post bugs and such. Are you on the latest build or an older one? I thought the recent ones didn't have it anymore but I don't really pay attention to it all that much now.

BajiRav    2,137

tried hard reset?

Tried vol dn + vol up + power + camera and vol dn + power + camera. Didn't work (not to mention this problem started after I did a factory reset from settings>>About)

My phone also has started unlocking every few minutes, on its own, while sitting on my desk. :s

The knight means the new lock screen is being used instead of the old one. It just makes it easier for the developers to tell which one is being used when people post bugs and such. Are you on the latest build or an older one? I thought the recent ones didn't have it anymore but I don't really pay attention to it all that much now.

I am running 10136 and thanks for the info on the knight icon. Didn't know about it.