Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones

Tried vol dn + vol up + power + camera and vol dn + power + camera.

Did you also try just vol dn + power?

My attempt to hard reset the phone has backfired :-(

now I don't have Phone and Settings apps. I have tried every button combination but it won't factory reset again. I guess back to 8.1U.

I really wanted to use 10 but I guess will wait for next build.

Go back to 8.1 U2 and then try the following:

- Reupdate to 10136.

- After your phone restarts to the start screen, go to Phone Update and check for updates.

- There should be an update there. Apply it.

- Your phone will go back to the rotating gears for about 20 minutes.

- When you are back at the start screen, do not install anything.

- Do a hard reset via about/reset.

- When filling in the OOBE details, ensure that you select the same region and language (e.g. United States, U.S. English).

- Let the phone sit for about 45 minutes and continue updating itself via wifi.

Worked for me on my Lumia 930.

Note: do not restore any backups during OOBE. Start fresh and do this later.

Hope this helps.

Go back to 8.1 U2 and then try the following:

- Reupdate to 10136.

- After your phone restarts to the start screen, go to Phone Update and check for updates.

- There should be an update there. Apply it.

- Your phone will go back to the rotating gears for about 20 minutes.

- When you are back at the start screen, do not install anything.

- Do a hard reset via about/reset.

- When filling in the OOBE details, ensure that you select the same region and language (e.g. United States, U.S. English).

- Let the phone sit for about 45 minutes and continue updating itself via wifi.

Worked for me on my Lumia 930.

Note: do not restore any backups during OOBE. Start fresh and do this later.

Hope this helps.

Yup I was thinking about doing this. One more minor hiccup along the way :( phone bricked during 8.1 recovery and now I am running emergency recovery. :laugh:

This has been a fun ride (I am seriously enjoying it).

Yup I was thinking about doing this. One more minor hiccup along the way :( phone bricked during 8.1 recovery and now I am running emergency recovery. :laugh:

This has been a fun ride (I am seriously enjoying it).

Aah, that sucks. I hope you are able to recover it.

Aah, that sucks. I hope you are able to recover it.

yeah, it recovered pretty quickly. No horror there. I am not updating to 10 straight from WP 8.1 U1 (my connection is too slow to bother about U2).

Edit: welp :laugh: it downloaded 8.1U2 first

yeah, it recovered pretty quickly. No horror there. I am not updating to 10 straight from WP 8.1 U1 (my connection is too slow to bother about U2).

Edit: welp :laugh: it downloaded 8.1U2 first

Let's see if it works for you this time.

& did you mean

"I am not updating to 10 straight from WP 8.1 U1 (my connection is too slow to bother about U2)"

or

you meant to say

"I am updating to 10 straight from WP 8.1 U1 (my connection is too slow to bother about U2)"

After resetting the phone, not only the settings from the Extra category are in the app list, Glance is missing. I can't turn the freaking thing off.

Let's see if it works for you this time.

& did you mean

"I am not updating to 10 straight from WP 8.1 U1 (my connection is too slow to bother about U2)"

or

you meant to say

"I am updating to 10 straight from WP 8.1 U1 (my connection is too slow to bother about U2)"

it did. Phone feels a bit better. I to type now there. It baffles me that none of the standard apps are installed by default in this build.

'm resetting the phone again and during the OOBE I'm getting this loading screen that's been on here for well over 10 minutes now. It doesn't actually say "loading" , there's just the dots animarion. I can see the navigation bar and the notification bar on top. Any idea if I'm supposed to keep waiting?

wait

I waited for 3 hours, nothing happened. Rebooted, start screen wouldn't load, just ended up going back to WP8.1. I'll wait for the next build.

Keep in mind though that due to the name change, Microsoft Edge app has a new app ID. As such, any favorites, cookies, history and Reading list items that you might have saved in the Project Spartan app will be lost after upgrading from a previous build.

Here is what's new in this release:

• Microsoft Edge: The first thing that you
  • Like 7

10136 bit me really bad in the end (screwed up phone backup) and I had to go back to 8.1. Any brave soul tried this yet?

10136 bit me really bad in the end (screwed up phone backup) and I had to go back to 8.1. Any brave soul tried this yet?

I haven't tried any of the builds because I have a HTC 8X but as far as this newest one goes, it's looking good, performance has gotten a big boost it sounds like.

I haven't tried any of the builds because I have a HTC 8X but as far as this newest one goes, it's looking good, performance has gotten a big boost it sounds like.

Just finished installing it.

Smoother than before & a lot & yes a lot faster.

Will try out Today & tomorrow to see if its ready to be used as a daily version.

Note: After installing did a factory reset & using in-built apps & whatsapp/fb/instagram. & overall it feels better than WP8.1.

• Like 8

Just finished installing it.

Smoother than before & a lot & yes a lot faster.

Will try out Today & tomorrow to see if its ready to be used as a daily version.

Note: After installing did a factory reset & using in-built apps & whatsapp/fb/instagram. & overall it feels better than WP8.1.

That's good, specially when you take into account that this version of the OS isn't coming out in a few weeks but a few months, I think they have enough time to get it flying like 8.1 does on the same devices.

installed it i think i'll keep it for a week, for the first time on windows phone im liking the light theme more than the dark theme 

That's good, specially when you take into account that this version of the OS isn't coming out in a few weeks but a few months, I think they have enough time to get it flying like 8.1 does on the same devices.

So I gave in and installed it today :laugh: thought my phone was as good as a blank due to 10136 screwing up my backup and multiple reports pointing to this being a good build.

So my 920 is flying with this one, almost as good as WP 8.1U I had. I didn't even have to reset or anything but overall a much better build! I just hope it doesn't degrade over next few days like 10136 did!

Loving it so far.

p.s. don't like the new app launch animation, hope they are just testing it.

Edit: Well spoke to soon. Looks like I may need to reset because there is no MSFT account associated with my phone preventing store updates. I can't add any account either.

So I gave in and installed it today :laugh: thought my phone was as good as a blank due to 10136 screwing up my backup and multiple reports pointing to this being a good build.

So my 920 is flying with this one, almost as good as WP 8.1U I had. I didn't even have to reset or anything but overall a much better build! I just hope it doesn't degrade over next few days like 10136 did!

Loving it so far.

p.s. don't like the new app launch animation, hope they are just testing it.

Edit: Well spoke to soon. Looks like I may need to reset because there is no MSFT account associated with my phone preventing store updates. I can't add any account either.

If that's the only problem you end up having then I'd say it's looking good.  It sucks to have to reset and lose things but we're still testing a beta at this point.   I'm indifferent about the starting animation, looks aside, do apps start faster than on 8.1?  One of the things people have said as a negative for WP is that apps take longer to open/start compared to other platforms, and that removing or reducing the animations will help with that.  Also all the "resuming" screens and so on, they really need to tweak the multitasking and or finally let us pick which apps we want to be in a "always running" state, so they're not suspended after a while in the background.

Maybe I'm fine with having 4-5 apps like that and am willing to take the hit to my battery life, the option should be given to me.

I didn't ahve to reset, this build is doing just great! Much faster, smoother and with a few new things. Edge is a million times better now that the address bar is at the bottom. I'm sticking with this build for a good while.