Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones

Windows 10 for Phones is so broken it's not even funny. I think it's ridiculous they're already releasing builds for phones, considering the state that they're in.

tech

ni

cal 

preview. 

what's so hard to understand about it, it's not for regular users or use. it's for developers

tech

ni

cal 

preview. 

what's so hard to understand about it, it's not for regular users or use. it's for developers

I

am

a

developer

:-)

The platform is just too rough/unfinished in my opinion to be released to the public already.

I

am

a

developer

The platform is just too rough/unfinished in my opinion to be released to the public already.

So you'd rather them not show anything and keep Insiders in the dark?

So you'd rather them not show anything and keep Insiders in the dark?

I feel this is turning into an endless discussion. I just think they should have waited until the platform is more robust/cohesive.

I

am

a

developer

But you're installing it on your daily use phone and expecting it to work as a daily OS. 

10052 should have a good number of bug fixes compared to 10051, give it a try and see how it compares.  I expect lots more of these updated builds that have bug fixes and nothing new in them from now on.

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft shows how easy it will be to port Android apps to

Windows 10 in new video

http://video.ch9.ms/ch9/d81c/bc5886b8-6d03-4601-a872-3c658b4ed81c/ProjectAstoriaIntroduction_high.mp4

So does this compile it into a native windows application or does WP just use the "Jabba the Hutt" Runtime Enviornment ?

So does this compile it into a native windows application or does WP just use the "Jabba the Hutt" Runtime Enviornment ?

If it is the former, I hope this will be available for PC too. Sick of putting up with mediocre emulators like BlueStacks. 

Android apps are just Java and C++ iirc, Windows can run Java, it has for years, so really this is just an extension of what you could always do with Windows. This means that VS will take your Java code, and tell you what needs tweaking/changing, then at build time it'll spit out a native windows app without you needing to do something over.

It's not hard to think about really, the same with iOS apps, they allow VS to read and understand Objective-C, then spit out a native Windows 10 app.

If it is the former, I hope this will be available for PC too. Sick of putting up with mediocre emulators like BlueStacks. 

it seems the android stuff is only for phone, and the ios app compiling is for everything.

anyone else having issues with Start not showing after the upgrade?

this is my first preview build and after I unlock it just sits on a black screen saying loading

this is a lumia 925 btw

anyone else having issues with Start not showing after the upgrade?

this is my first preview build and after I unlock it just sits on a black screen saying loading

this is a lumia 925 btw

Same thing is happening to my 930

For me the Start screen doesn't show up when closing all the apps through the task switcher. All you have to do is press the Start button.

The weirdest thing for me is the following:

My pinned apps were not sowing up after upgrading, but they were recognized as being pinned, because in the all apps lit it wouldn't let me pin them. Uninstalling and reinstalling fixed this, but I figured I'd just reset the phone to fix it. Now all my settings that would be under "Extras" are appearing in the All Apps list. Very weird stuff.

I did a hard reset most of the issues on the 1520 are fixed but I cant get to the start screen ? Even powering off and on the phone again just returns me to the all apps list.

Other than that its much improved.

Can you guys try a reset and see if that fixes it?

Thank you, that did it.

i've tried soft reset a few times to no avail

I want to try and avoid a hard reset right now. I'll wait to see if MS pushes out an update to fix the issue

How can I force installation through mobile connection? I don't have access to WiFi at the moment, and I rather not go and sit in some public place for hours to download the new build.

How can I force installation through mobile connection? I don't have access to WiFi at the moment, and I rather not go and sit in some public place for hours to download the new build.

Never mind. I'll stick to 8.1 now. I didn't know it was THAT much buggy on a real device, thought it was only Hyper-V acting up. Surface Pro 2 was basically unusable. I guess I'll do my thesis on 8.1 and mention the 10 stuff and how it relates to it.