Dopamine

Hi all,

Build 156 is available. This is the changelog:

• Albums are now defined by AlbumTitle and AlbumArtist (Disc and DiscCount are not taken into account anymore)
  • Improved cover art transitions (the cover art slides up when playing the next song, and down when playing the previous song)
  • Clicking on an "artists" or "album" label now clears artists and albums selection

For the next build I'd like to start improving the indexer, and improve the mini player.

I'll probably also start adding stuff for playlists support. This however will cost some more time.

Download here

Edit: no re-indexing needed for the changes provided by this build. Dopamine applies the changes to the database while starting (you'll see "Upgrading database" on the splash screen). I try to prevent re-indexing where possible.

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not and don't fancy going through all the pages to find out.

I have been using dopamine for a little while now and love but when I first open the app up and hit play I get the error in the screen shot. I have to press skip track to make it start.

Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me?

Log file:

2015-03-17 18:50:29.5834|Error|Synapse.IndexerUtils+_Closure$__8._Lambda$__14|Error while recursively getting files/folders. Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'E:\All my stuff\Music\Now Thats What I Call Music 82 (2012) - 2CD [tL]' is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories(String path)
   at Dopamine.Core.IO.FileOperations.DirectoryRecursiveGetFiles(String iSourcePath, List`1 iFiles, String[] iValidExtensions, ConcurrentQueue`1 oExceptions)

post-75735-0-40872000-1426618335.jpg

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not and don't fancy going through all the pages to find out.

I have been using dopamine for a little while now and love but when I first open the app up and hit play I get the error in the screen shot. I have to press skip track to make it start.

Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me?

Log file:

2015-03-17 18:50:29.5834|Error|Synapse.IndexerUtils+_Closure$__8._Lambda$__14|Error while recursively getting files/folders. Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'E:\All my stuff\Music\Now Thats What I Call Music 82 (2012) - 2CD [tL]' is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories(String path)
   at Dopamine.Core.IO.FileOperations.DirectoryRecursiveGetFiles(String iSourcePath, List`1 iFiles, String[] iValidExtensions, ConcurrentQueue`1 oExceptions)

This has not been mentioned yet. It is probably caused by a problem with the first audio file which dopamine tries to play. Could you send me the complete log? The part above contains indexer issues, not the playback issue you're having.

You should check the permissions on the folder E:\All my stuff\Music\Now Thats What I Call Music 82 (2012) - 2CD [tL]. The indexer has no permission to access it.

Meh, you considered it :) that's enough to make me happy! Will be amazing once the dev sorts that out. Really am enjoying this player!

Also, great to see another engineer with a software interest! The guys by me weren't that interested in software as I was.

What field did you go in?

The CSCore (which is the audio library Dopamine uses) developer has listened and fixed the issues. I'm testing WASAPI event style and Exclusive Mode in Dopamine as we speak. If nothing goes wrong, this should make the next build.

• Like 3

Will we be able to resize the windows (columns) at some point in the future? As for me the right column takes up more space than needed which would allow for another row of album covers to display. 

Will we be able to resize the windows (columns) at some point in the future? As for me the right column takes up more space than needed which would allow for another row of album covers to display. 

Probably much later. I had so many issues with it, that I decided not to waste time on this now and postpone it for later.

The changelog for the next version already looks promising:

- Added new versions of the CSCore and NVorbis audio libraries
- Added WASAPI Event mode and Exclusive mode options
- Fixed issues with some OGG files
- Added Swedish translation. Thanks eson (Neowin)

I can't release yet though. The indexer is heavily under reconstruction.

I have been checking out the complete changelog since the unveiling in february. Pretty impressive, if I can say so myself :)

17-03-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.156 (Preview)

- Albums are now defined by AlbumTitle and AlbumArtist (Disc and DiscCount are not taken into account anymore)
- Improved cover art transitions (the cover art slides up when playing the next song, and down when playing the previous song)
- Clicking on an "artists" or "album" label now clears artists and albums selection

8-03-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.148 (Preview)

- Fixed a glitch with the progress slider on the Mini Player
- Fixed a bug where double clicking the ScrollBar starts playing songs
- Added the Songs screen
- Added a volume control to the Mini player
- Fixed a glitch in the album selection at 125% item size
- Small UI fixes here and there

28-02-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.145 (Preview)

- Fixes the Spectrum on the Mini Player

27-02-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.144 (Preview)

- Added workaround for ID3v2.3 bug and Artist "Ghost/Light"
- Added an optional spectrum analyzer
- Mini player buttons are only shown when the mouse is over the cover picture
- Fixed positioning when external display is missing

20-02-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.134 (Preview)

- Fixed the "AC/DC" bug (reindexing is needed to have the correct tag information in the database)
- Added super-lazy-mode: double clicking an artist or album now plays that artist or album
- The search now also searches the file name
- Fine tuned the UI

17-02-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.126 (Preview)

- Fixed some UI bugs
- Synapse doesn't stop searching for audio files when one directory has errors
- Added lazy-mode: it is possible to start playing from the current trackslist (full, or per artist, or per album)
  when pressing just play or mediakey play. No need to double click a file anymore.

13-02-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.118 (Preview)

- Improved Synapse indexer robustness
- Added option to organize Tracks alphabetically or by Album
- Fixed some UI bugs
- Added an checkbox to the installer to launch Dopamine after installation
- Fixed visibility of taskbar buttons with Windows white theme
- Added volume changing by scrolling with the mouse
- Added an option to show or hide playback progress on the taskbar

10-02-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.107 (Preview)

- Fixed GUI glitches when using an item size of 125% in Windows
- Added support for .wav files
- Added Green and Yellow ColorSchemes
- Improved logging for crashes
- Added an option to keep the mini player on top of other windows
- Improved Synapse indexer robustness
- Removed the title on the main window
- Improved the search (you can now use multiple words to fine tune your search)
- Fixed the window tooltips

7-02-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.100 (Preview)

- First public preview

Hopefully the update after the one you are currently working on fixes the volume control on the miniplayer. As beautiful as the app is now, the volume control on the miniplayer looks pretty ugly.

Hopefully the update after the one you are currently working on fixes the volume control on the miniplayer. As beautiful as the app is now, the volume control on the miniplayer looks pretty ugly.

Agreed! I'm on it! :shiftyninja:

pg5wxIR.png

• Like 3

Hahahaha Yes much improved :laugh:

On a more serious note. I'll see what I can do. I can start changing the design to the mockup I posted some days ago (based on Jan's ideas). Depending on how fast implementation goes, the list button might or might not yet work in build current+2.

As for the current development. I'm almost finished rebuilding the indexer. About 50% of its code was rewritten and boy does it fly now. With the old indexer, indexing my 4000 tracks collection took 4 minutes. The new indexer does it in 15 seconds. I still have to add fetching of cover pictures. But that will be independent of tag indexing in the next versions, so it should not add too much overhead.

pretty cool stuff man  :)

Damn right :) I can assure you, I have been putting so much energy, thinking and have been pulling my hair out on this new indexer :D

ziRX5Bq.jpg

good to hear you've done some improvements to the indexer

when you release it i will give it another go and see how it does

I'll be very interested in your findings. To give some details about the changes:

Indexing is now separated from album art fetching. However album art fetching was not the biggest bottleneck. The real bottleneck was a loop inside a loop to compare files on disk and existing tracks in the database. Silly thing to do :blush:.

The indexing part is ready for release, album art fetching still needs some tweaking.

Looking forward to this.

Will the miniplayer support audio control with the mouse scroll wheel?

No. Should it? :) You mean: scroll up = next song and scroll down = previous song?