53 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

Hi everyone,

a new build of Dopamine is available. This is the changelog:

9-03-2016: Dopamine 1.0.0.622 (Preview)

- Removed fade trimming of texts because it is unreliable and causes issues
- Fixed a bug which caused some MP3's not to play anymore
- Added search by year for songs and albums
- Removing songs from the collection is much faster
- It is now possible to choose between 2 album layouts on the albums list: text on cover, text below cover.
- Improved positioning on multi-display configurations
- Tweaked page transitions to better match direction

Small note: your update check might not pick up the update. It's caused by the update check downloading a cached version of the versions definition on the website instead of the latest version. That is fixed in this build.

Download and info: http://www.digimezzo.com/2016/03/09/build-622-of-dopamine-is-available/

With this build when I close Dopamine it stays resident in the taskbar, I have to open Task Manager and right click and end task to fully shut it down.  Also dopamine isn't polling for the "default" sound device at all, if I have my speakers set to default when Dopamine opens it works great until I switch to headphones as my default device, I have to close dopamine, switch to headphones, re-open dopamine.  This is a pain in the ass =) 

Thank you Raphael, I know you can fix it!

7 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

With this build when I close Dopamine it stays resident in the taskbar, I have to open Task Manager and right click and end task to fully shut it down.  Also dopamine isn't polling for the "default" sound device at all, if I have my speakers set to default when Dopamine opens it works great until I switch to headphones as my default device, I have to close dopamine, switch to headphones, re-open dopamine.  This is a pain in the ass =) 

Thank you Raphael, I know you can fix it!

huh? I didn't touch the Closing sequence :). Is there something in the logs? Did you perform a specific set of actions before closing? Does it always happen?

Of course I can :shifty: Time is another story though :cry:

4 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

huh? I didn't touch the Closing sequence :). Is there something in the logs? Did you perform a specific set of actions before closing? Does it always happen?

Of course I can :shifty: Time is another story though :cry:

The log file looks normal:

2016-03-09 13:27:51.2474|Info|Dopamine.Views.Shell.Shutdown|### STOPPING Dopamine, version 1.0.0 (Build 622) ###
2016-03-09 13:27:51.2474|Info|Dopamine.Views.Shell+VB$StateMachine_110_PerformClosingTasksAsync.MoveNext|Performing closing tasks
2016-03-09 13:29:09.6702|Info|Dopamine.Application.ExecuteStartup|### STARTING Dopamine, version 1.0.0 (Build 622), IsPortable = False ###
2016-03-09 13:29:10.6203|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeWCFServices|CommandService was started successfully
2016-03-09 13:29:10.6203|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeWCFServices|FileService was started successfully
2016-03-09 13:29:10.6203|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeShell|Showing Main screen
2016-03-09 13:29:12.2438|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService.EnableUpdateCheck|Update check: checking for updates. AlsoCheckForPreReleases = False
2016-03-09 13:29:12.2478|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_14_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: current version = 1.0.0.622
2016-03-09 13:29:12.8579|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_14_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: latest online version = 1.0.0.622
2016-03-09 13:29:12.8579|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_14_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: no newer version was found.
2016-03-09 13:29:28.7370|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Playback.PlaybackService+VB$StateMachine_72_SaveQueuedTracksAsync.MoveNext|Saved queued tracks
2016-03-09 13:44:12.8710|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_14_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: current version = 1.0.0.622
2016-03-09 13:44:13.4469|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_14_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: latest online version = 1.0.0.622
2016-03-09 13:44:13.4505|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_14_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: no newer version was found.
2016-03-09 13:46:22.2574|Info|Dopamine.Views.Shell.Shutdown|### STOPPING Dopamine, version 1.0.0 (Build 622) ###
2016-03-09 13:46:22.2615|Info|Dopamine.Views.Shell+VB$StateMachine_110_PerformClosingTasksAsync.MoveNext|Performing closing tasks

but I am still seeing this in my task manager:

Capture.JPG

2 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

The log file looks normal:

2016-03-09 13:27:51.2474|Info|Dopamine.Views.Shell.Shutdown|### STOPPING Dopamine, version 1.0.0 (Build 622) ###
2016-03-09 13:27:51.2474|Info|Dopamine.Views.Shell+VB$StateMachine_110_PerformClosingTasksAsync.MoveNext|Performing closing tasks
2016-03-09 13:29:09.6702|Info|Dopamine.Application.ExecuteStartup|### STARTING Dopamine, version 1.0.0 (Build 622), IsPortable = False ###
2016-03-09 13:29:10.6203|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeWCFServices|CommandService was started successfully
2016-03-09 13:29:10.6203|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeWCFServices|FileService was started successfully
2016-03-09 13:29:10.6203|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeShell|Showing Main screen
2016-03-09 13:29:12.2438|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService.EnableUpdateCheck|Update check: checking for updates. AlsoCheckForPreReleases = False
2016-03-09 13:29:12.2478|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_14_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: current version = 1.0.0.622
2016-03-09 13:29:12.8579|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_14_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: latest online version = 1.0.0.622
2016-03-09 13:29:12.8579|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_14_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: no newer version was found.
2016-03-09 13:29:28.7370|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Playback.PlaybackService+VB$StateMachine_72_SaveQueuedTracksAsync.MoveNext|Saved queued tracks
2016-03-09 13:44:12.8710|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_14_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: current version = 1.0.0.622
2016-03-09 13:44:13.4469|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_14_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: latest online version = 1.0.0.622
2016-03-09 13:44:13.4505|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_14_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: no newer version was found.
2016-03-09 13:46:22.2574|Info|Dopamine.Views.Shell.Shutdown|### STOPPING Dopamine, version 1.0.0 (Build 622) ###
2016-03-09 13:46:22.2615|Info|Dopamine.Views.Shell+VB$StateMachine_110_PerformClosingTasksAsync.MoveNext|Performing closing tasks

but I am still seeing this in my task manager: (see attached image)

Capture.JPG

Do you have "Close to tray" enabled?

Edit: nevermind. It wouldn't get to "Performclosingtasks" with close to tray enabled.

1 minute ago, Raphaël G. said:

Edit: nevermind. It wouldn't get to "Performclosingtasks" with close to tray enabled.

uhh yes it would... I have it enabled :p

2 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

I am right clicking the tray icon and selecting exit to close it...

When I disable "close to tray" it closes successfully...

So it fails to close when you do this?

- enable close to tray

- press the close button

- click on exit in the tray menu

If you disable close to tray, and click the close button on the main window, it closes successfully.

Is that correct?

Just now, Raphaël G. said:

So it fails to close when you do this?

- enable close to tray

- press the close button

- click on exit in the tray menu

If you disable close to tray, and click the close button on the main window, it closes successfully.

Is that correct?

100% correct

17 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

100% correct

I found the bug. It's been in at least a couple of builds and only happens when trying to close a minimized Dopamine. From which build have you updated?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

I found the bug. It's been in at least a couple of builds and only happens when trying to close a minimized Dopamine. From which build have you updated?

I am using the most recent build...updated from build 584

9 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

Also can you do something about the default output sound device polling?

I am using the most recent build...updated from build 584

Also can you do something about the default output sound device polling?

No :) That costs at least a day of development time. So it's for later.

1 minute ago, Raphaël G. said:

No :) That costs at least a day of development time. So it's for later.

So yes you can when you can?  It would be a huge update for all of us that use headphones I imagine =)  When the kids and wife are out of the house I work at home and I like to blow the walls down with my speakers, then when they are home I use the headphones :p Even windows Groove will switch default devices when I click it over...

3 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

So yes you can when you can?  It would be a huge update for all of us that use headphones I imagine =)  When the kids and wife are out of the house I work at home and I like to blow the walls down with my speakers, then when they are home I use the headphones :p Even windows Groove will switch default devices when I click it over...

I will when I find the time :) 

12 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

Also happens if you have a secondary monitor attached.  I can get the sound to switch over if I hit the next button.

that reminds me... Feature Request:

I would love to be able to have the notifications appear on my second monitor and be able to choose where like it is setup now... top left, top right, bottom left or bottom right.

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

that reminds me... Feature Request:

I would love to be able to have the notifications appear on my second monitor and be able to choose where like it is setup now... top left, top right, bottom left or bottom right.

Thank you!

Feature request created :) 

35 minutes ago, Ned said:

Also happens if you have a secondary monitor attached.  I can get the sound to switch over if I hit the next button.

I don't understand the part about the secondary monitor. Could you explain?

About switching over sound devices when playing next. That's possible. I'll need to do some testing to confirm.

2 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

I don't understand the part about the secondary monitor. Could you explain?

About switching over sound devices when playing next. That's possible. I'll need to do some testing to confirm.

Switching audio inputs when the player is already playing (headphones/tv/pc).  Actually now that I look at it, my tv overrides my headphones when it's plugged in.  Headphones seem to switch over fine...maybe I don't understand what audio polling means?

7 hours ago, Ned said:

Switching audio inputs when the player is already playing (headphones/tv/pc).  Actually now that I look at it, my tv overrides my headphones when it's plugged in.  Headphones seem to switch over fine...maybe I don't understand what audio polling means?

With audio polling it's meant here that Dopamine should monitor if the default audio device has changed. If yes, it should continue playing on that "new" device.

The problem is with external audio devices (e.g. USB headsets). When using a headphone or other output device with a classic audio jack, the switch should happen automatically, because there is no switch (you're always playing on the computer's internal audio device).

I currently see 2 situations with Dopamine:

1. Playing on external device (e.g. headphone), then external device is suddenly disconnected

=> Crash of Dopamine audio engine, because  you took away its audio device, of course this crash is caught by me and I'm trying to do something useful with it. Right now, on such crash, Dopamine tries to play the next song on the internal audio device.

2. Playing on internal device, then a headphone with external audio device (e.g. USB headphone) is suddenly connected

=> Dopamine doesn't care, and continues to play on internal device, because it is still there

Both situations need better handling.

• Like 1

Hey Raphaël,

I have a feature request, i don't know if it has been already asked, it is possible to add a filter in file indexation to choose which files you want to index? Like only index mp3 files, or m4a, or flac...

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:00 AM, Raphaël G. said:

With audio polling it's meant here that Dopamine should monitor if the default audio device has changed. If yes, it should continue playing on that "new" device.

The problem is with external audio devices (e.g. USB headsets). When using a headphone or other output device with a classic audio jack, the switch should happen automatically, because there is no switch (you're always playing on the computer's internal audio device).

1. Playing on external device (e.g. headphone), then external device is suddenly disconnected

=> Crash of Dopamine audio engine, because  you took away its audio device, of course this crash is caught by me and I'm trying to do something useful with it. Right now, on such crash, Dopamine tries to play the next song on the internal audio device.

2. Playing on internal device, then a headphone with external audio device (e.g. USB headphone) is suddenly connected

=> Dopamine doesn't care, and continues to play on internal device, because it is still there

If you need more testing about that, i use an ASUS USB soundcard on my Surface Dock Station v2, with a switch speakers/headphones, so i can help.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:00 AM, Raphaël G. said:

all native windows app have audio device polling so when I switch devices the sound will follow to that device...  Dopamine does not work this way.  It's like it checks when it's started and then stays on whatever device is default at that time, there is no device check during the heartbeat...