Dopamine

I'm using 360 security and it gave me a false positive of dopamine.exe and I simply restored it is all. Some of these security suites do that. I then went into 360 security and set dopamine as a trusted directory.

Just now, chrisj1968 said:

I'm using 360 security and it gave me a false positive of dopamine.exe and I simply restored it is all. Some of these security suites do that. I then went into 360 security and set dopamine as a trusted directory.

I don't use anything but what Windows 10 has installed by default and that works awesome! Anything else is a waste of bits and money.

4 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

360 and Avast are Dopamine eaters. They don't know what's good, or do and should not touch it.

• Like 1

I wasn't saying that there's anything nefarious with Dopamine. I have since uninstalled the 360 app. at any rate, 360 is gone and so are my headaches.

DO NOT think I was saying dopamine was in any way a problem. I just found out how to get around the issue, which is really a non issue.

360 will cause you headaches and most other purchased antivirus apps, Windows default app defender is great as long as you aren't sniffing around the net for illegal torrents and such...even then it does a good job but you would be asking for trouble =)

Just now, Ravensky said:

360 will cause you headaches and most other purchased antivirus apps, Windows default app defender is great as long as you aren't sniffing around the net for illegal torrents and such...even then it does a good job but you would be asking for trouble =)

I don't. So I'm good to go...

7 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

I wasn't saying that there's anything nefarious with Dopamine. I have since uninstalled the 360 app. at any rate, 360 is gone and so are my headaches.

DO NOT think I was saying dopamine was in any way a problem. I just found out how to get around the issue, which is really a non issue.

No worries Chris :) 

I get a lot of reports, outside Neowin too, that Avast and 360 flag Dopamine as suspicious. You guys know better. But imagine other people who don't know much about computers, AV's and software. Most people trust me when I say it's the AV who doesn't know what is suspicious and what is not. However I can imagine that there are other kinds of people out there. An AV should be trusted. It rather frustrating.

Little rant (sorry :) ):

Being an "indie" developer is sometimes rather frustrating. Your software is not popular and that has 2 consequences:

1. Windows SmartScreen pops up, because it is not in its popularity database. Fixing it, would require 2 things from me: buy a rather expensive certificate, and then wait until my software gets enough popularity so that SmartScreen stays silent. Really "great" if you want to provide free (as in beer) software.

2. Free AV's (with their poor heuristic detection) don't know about your software, and flag it as suspicious for whatever reason (1 user reported that Dopamine.Icons.dll was flagged as suspicious on his computer. If you open it with resource hacker, you'll see that it only contains the Donate heart icon which is shown on the taskbar jumplist). Yeah free AV's, you're doing a great job :angry:

Rant over :) 

11 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

No worries Chris :) 

I get a lot of reports, outside Neowin too, that Avast and 360 flag Dopamine as suspicious. You guys know better. But imagine other people who don't know much about computers, AV's and software. Most people trust me when I say it's the AV who doesn't know what is suspicious and what is not. However I can imagine that there are other kinds of people out there. An AV should be trusted. It rather frustrating.

Little rant (sorry :) ):

Being an "indie" developer is sometimes rather frustrating. Your software is not popular and that has 2 consequences:

1. Windows SmartScreen pops up, because it is not in its popularity database. Fixing it, would require 2 things from me: buy a rather expensive certificate, and then wait until my software gets enough popularity so that SmartScreen stays silent. Really "great" if you want to provide free (as in beer) software.

2. Free AV's (with their poor heuristic detection) don't know about your software, and flag it as suspicious for whatever reason (1 user reported that Dopamine.Icons.dll was flagged as suspicious on his computer. If you open it with resource hacker, you'll see that it only contains the Donate heart icon which is shown on the taskbar jumplist). Yeah free AV's, you're doing a great job :angry:

Rant over :) 

I'm sorry if I made it sound like your app was a problem. I knew from the get go, it wasn't the problem. But now I know to stay away from the free AV suites ;) 

3 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

I'm sorry if I made it sound like your app was a problem. I knew from the get go, it wasn't the problem. But now I know to stay away from the free AV suites ;) 

No don't worry about it :) I  know you're a true Dopamine believer :) 

I re-installed windows 10 and then installed Dopamine (latest version) and then set it to exit to tray, and then right clicked the icon and selected Exit and it's still not shutting down... just wanted you to know.

5 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

No don't worry about it :) I  know you're a true Dopamine believer :) 

your biggest fan. all the others are posers ;)  /sarcasm

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ravensky said:

I re-installed windows 10 and then installed Dopamine (latest version) and then set it to exit to tray, and then right clicked the icon and selected Exit and it's still not shutting down... just wanted you to know.

That's expected. I didn't publish the fixed version yet :) 

15 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

I was just making sure it wasn't my windows install is all =)

Thanks for confirming. It was me :rofl:. The issue was introduced when adding the fade out of the sound when closing. The audio engine sound fades out to volume=0, but doesn't force the audio engine to stop (meaing your file is still playing at volume level 0). When the main window is visible, that is no problem to close the application. The audio engine is then automatically forced to stop. When it is minimized, it is a problem. Somehow, closing the main window when minimized, doesn't force the audio engine to stop, and it continues playing at volume = 0. That is why is remains in task manager.

I fixed that for the next build.

1 minute ago, Ravensky said:

awesome! =) default audio device polling :p  Thanks you Raphael!

Yeah yeah :rofl: I'll look into it.

Hi everyone,

A new build of Dopamine is available. This one fixes some bugs, and adds a new "Cloud" page, which displays your most played albums as an album art cloud.

history.png

This is the changelog:

17-03-2016: Dopamine 1.0.0.626 (Preview)

• Fixed a bug where Dopamine remained in Task Manager when closed while minimized to the Notification Area while playing
  • Added a "Cloud" page which displays a history of played albums as an album cover cloud

Info and download

Edit: Ravensky, I've planned audio device polling for the next build. I tried for this build, but rolled back as it requires more changes than expected.

Hi Raphaël,

It's been a long time since I've posted in here but have been keeping an eye on all your awesome progress - the new cloud screen is really cool and I like the added options for cover size and text placement. It's all looking very slick. Once you figure out resizeable columns it will be complete for me - but I know that issue is a thorn in your side, so I won't mention it! :D

A while back I mentioned about the 'date added' not appearing to be the same as it was in Zune and you mentioned it was just using the date that Dopamine adds albums to it's database, well I've done a few OS reinstalls recently which meant reinstalling Zune and setting up Groove and I have realised that they use the 'date created' info of the mp3, which was why it always appeared correct rather than just being A-Z as Dopamine is on a fresh install.

Is there any chance this could be changed if there are no objections?

• Like 2

To add to my reasoning for using date created, I have just been editing some album metadata after seeing albums with incorrect or missing bits of info. When I refresh the database in Dopamine these albums become the latest added albums even if they were old.