Dopamine

48 minutes ago, kozukumi said:

Windows 95 was actually a hybrid 16/32-bit system. It was pretty much a hack in a similar way to Win32s allowing 32-bit apps to run on the 16-bit Windows 3.x via thunks. Most of the UI in Windows 95 was still 16-bit however the kernel was 32-bit. 

Anyway just to answer the question of why it uses a bit more RAM in 64-bit over 32-bit - this comes down to how much memory is allocated for certain data types and stack memory. As you have said when you compile you program you compile it to MSIL which is then run via the .NET Framework and the JIT will produce optimised machine code on the end users system. The same was true back in the switch from 16 to 32-bit. I remember people bemoaning why the new version of some program needed 4 MB memory when 1 MB was more than enough for the last version! This article http://www.viva64.com/en/b/0069/ is a good read :yes:

As for the benefits of going 64-bit for Dopamine they are probably minimal to nothing. However that doesn't mean you should shy away from going 64-bit. The reality is the future is 64-bit (and will be for a while as we are not going to hit the practical limits of 64-bit any time soon!). No software I have started in the past 3 years has been 32-bit. If the user is still on a 32-bit system they can use something else as far as I am concerned :p However I work in C and C++ and I am using strict 64-bit data types where needed so making a 32-bit version isn't quite as simple as just ticking a box in the compile options. 

Nice application btw, I don't do any .NET stuff but I probably should look into it now it is going to be properly available on non-Windows platforms as well.  

Thanks for confirming this. I'm quite happy with what I learned these last few days. I've now disabled the checkbox "prefer 32-bit", so the next build of Dopamine will really run as a 64 bit application on a 64 bit system.

23 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Raph, I was reading through this last page and before I got to your post here I was about to recommend doing this exact implementation lol I know a few other programs such as VMWare that work similarly, they always install like a 32bit program but then run in the appropriate mode based on windows install :)

Excellent! :) That seems to be what I'll do with the next build. I added this to the changelog:

Enabled 64 bits support

The next build adds another feature: fade trimming of texts (inspired by Zune):

FadeTrimming.png

Edit:

Code freeze! This is the full changelog for the upcoming build:

- Dopamine is now a single process application. This reduces Windows Smartscreen notifications from 3 to 1 for the portable version.
- Migrated everything to www.digimezzo.com
- Improved user interface responsiveness and transitions
- More performant Albums list
- Added Z-A sorting for songs
- Songs on disconnected disks are not removed from the collection anymore
- Indexing percent is replaced by number of files and total files indexed
- Song progress can be changed also when the song is paused
- It's possible to choose between 3 cover sizes for all album lists
- Slightly lower CPU usage when main window is visible
- Added WASAPI Exclusive Mode support
- Added Danish translation
- Enabled 64 bits support
- Long texts now fade to invisible instead of showing triple dots "..."

5 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

The next build adds another feature: fade trimming of texts (inspired by Zune):

FadeTrimming.png

Edit:

Code freeze! This is the full changelog for the upcoming build:

- Dopamine is now a single process application. This reduces Windows Smartscreen notifications from 3 to 1 for the portable version.
- Migrated everything to www.digimezzo.com
- Improved user interface responsiveness and transitions
- More performant Albums list
- Added Z-A sorting for songs
- Songs on disconnected disks are not removed from the collection anymore
- Indexing percent is replaced by number of files and total files indexed
- Song progress can be changed also when the song is paused
- It's possible to choose between 3 cover sizes for all album lists
- Slightly lower CPU usage when main window is visible
- Added WASAPI Exclusive Mode support
- Added Danish translation
- Enabled 64 bits support
- Long texts now fade to invisible instead of showing triple dots "..."

Can't wait for a new preview :woot:

Going into a more esoteric zone here, but support for SACD (.ISO or .DSF), hidef audio would be nice...

That's asking a lot, I know...  Low priority.

3 hours ago, TruckWEB said:

Going into a more esoteric zone here, but support for SACD (.ISO or .DSF), hidef audio would be nice...

+1

15 hours ago, TruckWEB said:

I created a feature request with lower priority.

Hi everyone!

After quite a wait, a new build of Dopamine is available. A lot of effort went into this one. It is also the first build to be hosted at my new website www.digimezzo.com. Be sure to bookmark it. All future news about Dopamine will be posted here.

This is the changelog:

7-03-2016: Dopamine 1.0.0.620 (Preview)

• Dopamine is now a single process application. This reduces Windows Smartscreen notifications from 3 to 1 for the portable version.
  • Migrated everything to www.digimezzo.com
  • Improved user interface responsiveness and transitions
  • Improved albums list performance
  • Added Z-A sorting for songs
  • Songs on disconnected disks are not removed from the collection anymore
  • Indexing percent is replaced by number of files and total files indexed
  • Song progress can be changed also when the song is paused
  • It’s possible to choose between 3 cover sizes for all album lists
  • Slightly lower CPU usage when main window is visible
  • Added WASAPI Exclusive Mode support
  • Added Danish translation
  • Enabled 64 bits support
  • Long texts now fade to invisible instead of showing a triple dot

Info and download here

Small remark: the auto update on your current build will not work, as the download links have changed. As these are still preview builds, I didn't put too much effort in making the transition smooth. Once you install build 620, auto update will work correctly again as it picks up the new locations.

2 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Enabled 64 bits support

Tried to install it, get:

C:\Program Files (x86).

9 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

Tried to install it, get:

C:\Program Files (x86).

As discussed above, I chose to provide 1 package containing binaries which target "any cpu". The result is: if you run Dopamine on a 32 bit system, it'll be 32 bits. If you run it on a 64 bit system, it'll run in 64 bits (you'll see it in task manager).

The installer is still 32 bits and proposes the x86 directory as default install location. You can safely change that to C:\Program Files or just install in C:\Program Files (x86). That doesn't change the fact that Dopamine runs in 64 bits.

2 Bugs found in the latest build. Here's how to reproduce it :

1. Play all songs in the library, click on next or previous button, scroll down the list of songs, and we'll spot songs title that having black colored text (I use dark theme). 

2. Try to play random album, and sometimes the playing song title is not highlighted.

7 minutes ago, Tejoenardo said:

2 Bugs found in the latest build. Here's how to reproduce it :

1. Play all songs in the library, click on next or previous button, scroll down the list of songs, and we'll spot songs title that having black colored text (I use dark theme). 

2. Try to play random album, and sometimes the playing song title is not highlighted.

1. I discovered that one tonight. It's caused by a bug in the text fader. I'm working on it.

2. I can't reproduce right now. If you have any more details, that would be great.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

1. I discovered that one tonight. It's caused by a bug in the text fader. I'm working on it.

2. I can't reproduce right now. If you have any more details, that would be great.

Yeah, the second bug appearing randomly and rarely. Sometimes it's also happening when I'm playin all songs. And on the other chance, I can't reproduce the bug at all.

Another bug. Seems like dopamine cannot play some of my songs. Would you like me to send you the sample?

Here's the log file : 

2016-03-08 06:31:36.7769|Info|Dopamine.Application.ExecuteStartup|### STARTING Dopamine, version 1.0.0 (Build 620), IsPortable = False ###
2016-03-08 06:31:38.5356|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeWCFServices|CommandService was started successfully
2016-03-08 06:31:38.5802|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeWCFServices|FileService was started successfully
2016-03-08 06:31:38.5802|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeShell|Showing Main screen
2016-03-08 06:31:54.4029|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Playback.PlaybackService+VB$StateMachine_72_SaveQueuedTracksAsync.MoveNext|Saved queued tracks
2016-03-08 06:32:12.0779|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Playback.PlaybackService+VB$StateMachine_72_SaveQueuedTracksAsync.MoveNext|Saved queued tracks
2016-03-08 06:32:19.8508|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Playback.PlaybackService+VB$StateMachine_72_SaveQueuedTracksAsync.MoveNext|Saved queued tracks

6 hours ago, Tejoenardo said:

Yeah, the second bug appearing randomly and rarely. Sometimes it's also happening when I'm playin all songs. And on the other chance, I can't reproduce the bug at all.

Another bug. Seems like dopamine cannot play some of my songs. Would you like me to send you the sample?

Here's the log file : 

2016-03-08 06:31:36.7769|Info|Dopamine.Application.ExecuteStartup|### STARTING Dopamine, version 1.0.0 (Build 620), IsPortable = False ###
2016-03-08 06:31:38.5356|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeWCFServices|CommandService was started successfully
2016-03-08 06:31:38.5802|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeWCFServices|FileService was started successfully
2016-03-08 06:31:38.5802|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeShell|Showing Main screen
2016-03-08 06:31:54.4029|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Playback.PlaybackService+VB$StateMachine_72_SaveQueuedTracksAsync.MoveNext|Saved queued tracks
2016-03-08 06:32:12.0779|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Playback.PlaybackService+VB$StateMachine_72_SaveQueuedTracksAsync.MoveNext|Saved queued tracks
2016-03-08 06:32:19.8508|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Playback.PlaybackService+VB$StateMachine_72_SaveQueuedTracksAsync.MoveNext|Saved queued tracks

OK thanks for the description. I'll further check it.

Yes, please send me one or some of the files that cannot be played. That piece of the log doesn't seem to contain any info about it.

Edit: I found the "not highlighting" bug only happens with texts that are too long and need fading. Another fading bug :) I'll work on those tonight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

OK thanks for the description. I'll further check it.

Yes, please send me one or some of the files that cannot be played. That piece of the log doesn't seem to contain any info about it.

Edit: I found the "not highlighting" bug only happens with texts that are too long and need fading. Another fading bug :) I'll work on those tonight.

Sent. Check your inbox.

I asked about this a while ago, but I haven't really kept up; is sorting albums by year on the right most panel possible? Having them sorted by alphabetical order seems weird to me.

17 minutes ago, Excelsis said:

I asked about this a while ago, but I haven't really kept up; is sorting albums by year on the right most panel possible? Having them sorted by alphabetical order seems weird to me.

You mean sorting the songs by year?

13 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

You mean sorting the songs by year?

No, I meant keeping the album view, but sorting them by year instead of alphabetically, kinda like this;

pHeKcIu.png

I have a feature request: ability to set the playback device. I have my system configured with my speakers and headphones as separate devices. I do this so I can have the headphone set as default and thus used for watching Youtube, playing games etc. However I generally prefer music to come out of the speakers instead. I can do this in foobar2000 by adding icons to the toolbar that lets me switch between both devices easily. I'm not suggesting you go this far with Dopamine, just a setting would do.

Hi everyone,

a new build of Dopamine is available. This is the changelog:

9-03-2016: Dopamine 1.0.0.622 (Preview)

- Removed fade trimming of texts because it is unreliable and causes issues
- Fixed a bug which caused some MP3's not to play anymore
- Added search by year for songs and albums
- Removing songs from the collection is much faster
- It is now possible to choose between 2 album layouts on the albums list: text on cover, text below cover.
- Improved positioning on multi-display configurations
- Tweaked page transitions to better match direction

Small note: your update check might not pick up the update. It's caused by the update check downloading a cached version of the versions definition on the website instead of the latest version. That is fixed in this build.

Download and info: http://www.digimezzo.com/2016/03/09/build-622-of-dopamine-is-available/

4 hours ago, PabUK said:

I have a feature request: ability to set the playback device. I have my system configured with my speakers and headphones as separate devices. I do this so I can have the headphone set as default and thus used for watching Youtube, playing games etc. However I generally prefer music to come out of the speakers instead. I can do this in foobar2000 by adding icons to the toolbar that lets me switch between both devices easily. I'm not suggesting you go this far with Dopamine, just a setting would do.

I've created a feature request. I'll try to process it soon.

22 hours ago, Excelsis said:

No, I meant keeping the album view, but sorting them by year instead of alphabetically, kinda like this;

pHeKcIu.png

OK I see what you mean. I've added this to a feature request. I have to think about the best way to add this.

• Like 3