Someone said they wish Dogmeat doesn't count toward the Lone Wanderer perk. He, or rather she, doesn't. I have the perk. And I get the carry weight bonus at least. (Dogmeat's inspiration and motion capture actor dog is a female, and since Dogmeat lacks boy parts... Seems like it should be a female dog.)

So on the PC, you can move settlement pieces. I heard you could on XB1/PS4 but not PC. Apparently you hold A and LB or RB depending on the axis you want to move the piece on. So that should make things easier.

Speaking of playing on the PC, why does it replace the Back button graphic with Android's old Task Manager button? Skyrim and I think Fallout 3 had the proper controller icons. Not a big deal, but I think that'll be one of those essential mods people have.

One thing I haven't seen in YouTube videos... How do you get more settlers? And is there a way to easily see who's assigned to what? Like food, apparently one settler can only harvest so much food. So, should I keep food in bunches of amounts one settler can work, or just send more than one to the field...? I'm afraid resources are going unused. And I'd like to get more settlers to establish supply routes. Seems like supply routes should just be a perk. At level one, crafting resources are shared between all settlements. At level 2, food and water as well. At level 3, other stuff stored in work stations (caps, or whatever) are available in all settlements.

With regards to getting more settlers, you can build a radio beacon (which you can actually tune into) that calls for people to come and join. Not sure if it actually works because I haven't been paying too much attention to the mechanics of my settlements just yet, I'm only really starting on that bit - I've been spending more time just wandering round collecting power armor. Seven so far.

Must have mods,

There is still no mod that fixes the terrible user interface. There doesn't seem to be a good mods at the moment for making VATS more accurate (without crashes) and rebalancing the game so that enemies are not bullet sponges (without bugs and unrealism) - exact same issues exist and were fixed by mods in 3 and NV.

I'm not sure why people are making a big deal about the UI now? It's more or less the same as Fallout 3 or NV from what I remember.

As for the rest? Use the perks to "fix" those issues. It's what they are there for. Playing on survival difficulty some of the weapon perks only at 4 stars and modded weapons the game is almost too easy. Sure, enemies are bullet sponges at the start of the game but by the time you get to level 20+? It becomes a non-issue and such rebalance (using the word extremely loosely there) mods will completely break the power curve and what little balance there is for end game.

If you really fee like the enemies being bullet sponges is a huge issue then turn down the difficulty because I guarantee that by the time you get to mid to late game such "balance" mods will make the game boring to play. 

I'm not saying you are or anyone is specifically but I feel like people are being overly nit picky about this game and it's "issues". Complaining about non-issues like the UI and game balance (while playing on the highest difficulty) all the while the real issues like quests that can't be finished, poor performance in certain areas of the game resulting in wildly fluctuating fps and items not being where they are supposed to be, even though all requisites are met are being overlooked or ignored entirely.

Someone said they wish Dogmeat doesn't count toward the Lone Wanderer perk. He, or rather she, doesn't. I have the perk. And I get the carry weight bonus at least. (Dogmeat's inspiration and motion capture actor dog is a female, and since Dogmeat lacks boy parts... Seems like it should be a female dog.)

So on the PC, you can move settlement pieces. I heard you could on XB1/PS4 but not PC. Apparently you hold A and LB or RB depending on the axis you want to move the piece on. So that should make things easier.

Speaking of playing on the PC, why does it replace the Back button graphic with Android's old Task Manager button? Skyrim and I think Fallout 3 had the proper controller icons. Not a big deal, but I think that'll be one of those essential mods people have.

One thing I haven't seen in YouTube videos... How do you get more settlers? And is there a way to easily see who's assigned to what? Like food, apparently one settler can only harvest so much food. So, should I keep food in bunches of amounts one settler can work, or just send more than one to the field...? I'm afraid resources are going unused. And I'd like to get more settlers to establish supply routes. Seems like supply routes should just be a perk. At level one, crafting resources are shared between all settlements. At level 2, food and water as well. At level 3, other stuff stored in work stations (caps, or whatever) are available in all settlements.

To get more settlers you need to build a recruitment beacon which requires power. As far as I know there is not a way to see who is assigned to what and I don't see that it matters too much. I haven't really assigned any settlers to anything besides my shops and the only thing they continually complain about is defense. This is of course only in sanctuary, the only settlement I've really bothered to build up so far.

As for moving settlement pieces? Do you mean move them vertically? If so then once placed you can move them by using the console. Open console (usually ~ button by default) click on the piece you want to move and then type modpos z, x, y -#/#. Using this method you can get extremely fine placement of your settlement pieces and helps when trying to build fences, especially, on uneven ground.

Proper usage: modpos z -5.

That will move the item in question lower on the vertical axis. To move it higher simply take off the -. Modpos z 5.

I have no idea if that is what you referring to so yeah. Regardless, it's a useful tip for anyone on the pc who is into building settlements.

• Like 1

I'm leaving the dev console alone because it blocks achievements, and yes, I care about those. At least Microsoft is using them as user generated feedback for developers. I think Bethesda was even given as one of the examples. You know, you get an achievement when you leave Vault 111, so they know what date/time you accomplished that, so the date/time of every other achievement tells them how long it takes you to do those things. That's valuable information for a developer, and also for a publisher. So I definitely want to contribute to that. And they're fun to get. And I have all the achievements for all the other Bethesda games that have them. When I have all the achievements, I'll use the dev console.

But yes, that's what I meant, and apparently it can also be done with TCL (toggle clipping). Not too too worried about the finer points of settlement building, but it is nice to know the tricks. I definitely want to fix the walls at the Castle, and it seems that there are a few ways to do that with concrete foundations.

I'm sure eventually there will be a mod to clean up the rubble piles (and scrap them for concrete, perhaps). Because, I mean, I've watched Creation Kit tutorial videos for Skyrim, and one thing you can do there is take these rubble piles, and tilt them, and shove them through walls to make the dungeon (tombs) rooms seem less boxy. And there's a lot you can do in the CK that hasn't made it to Fallout 4 settlement building, though otherwise it seems to be very similar. So I'm hoping we get some finer controls down the road. Also, I'm not hoping, but fully expecting, to see some crazy mods come out. How about settlements anywhere? How about scrapping everywhere? And universal component storage? Why clean up and remake a few settlements when you can clean up and remake the entire Commonwealth? Won't be possible on XB1/PS4, but definitely on PC.

You can see what tasks a settler is assigned to just by looking at them, it'll highlight whatever objects they use too. Unfortunately it doesn't work in reverse, so you can't look at say a Mutfruit plant and see who's in charge of harvesting it.

• Like 1

I just saw that in a video. So the settler and resource must be in line of sight. That can be problematic in a settlement like Sanctuary or Castle... or any with a lot of custom buildings that might break lines of sight.

As far as recruitment beacons, is that it? I have one in each settlement, and I only get 4-5 people tops. One video I watched said that your max settlers is 10 + Charisma, with a cap of 21 as, according to the video, the bobblehead raises the SPECIAL cap to 11, so you can still get 10 and then have 11 in the stat. That as opposed to Fallout 3, where it was advised to hold off on getting SPECIAL bobbleheads until receiving "Almost Perfect" (unless the stat was already at 9, like INT).

The UI is fine. At least until you get into power armor. I'll be looking for a mod that keeps the UI the same when you're in power armor.

Fun thing I found. If you hit (hold?) Back while in the Pip-Boy, the Sole Survivor pulls it closer, so it fills the screen almost, and I don't think it sways. It's a toggle, so if you do it once, it'll stay that way next time you bring it up. Kind of like the Pip-Boy in power armor but without the fisheye effect (another UI element that can DIAF).

It's a pain with Provisioners, the only way to see what route they're assigned to, is to remove them from it and see which one vanishes from your pip-boy. And since they move between settlements, you have to wait for them to return home.

Another question. Magazines. I have a ton of them in my inventory. I don't think they weigh anything, but can I get rid of them and keep the bonus? I see a lot of videos where people display them, so I guess that's an alternative to selling them.

I'm leaving the dev console alone because it blocks achievements, and yes, I care about those. At least Microsoft is using them as user generated feedback for developers. I think Bethesda was even given as one of the examples. You know, you get an achievement when you leave Vault 111, so they know what date/time you accomplished that, so the date/time of every other achievement tells them how long it takes you to do those things. That's valuable information for a developer, and also for a publisher. So I definitely want to contribute to that. And they're fun to get. And I have all the achievements for all the other Bethesda games that have them. When I have all the achievements, I'll use the dev console.

But yes, that's what I meant, and apparently it can also be done with TCL (toggle clipping). Not too too worried about the finer points of settlement building, but it is nice to know the tricks. I definitely want to fix the walls at the Castle, and it seems that there are a few ways to do that with concrete foundations.

I'm sure eventually there will be a mod to clean up the rubble piles (and scrap them for concrete, perhaps). Because, I mean, I've watched Creation Kit tutorial videos for Skyrim, and one thing you can do there is take these rubble piles, and tilt them, and shove them through walls to make the dungeon (tombs) rooms seem less boxy. And there's a lot you can do in the CK that hasn't made it to Fallout 4 settlement building, though otherwise it seems to be very similar. So I'm hoping we get some finer controls down the road. Also, I'm not hoping, but fully expecting, to see some crazy mods come out. How about settlements anywhere? How about scrapping everywhere? And universal component storage? Why clean up and remake a few settlements when you can clean up and remake the entire Commonwealth? Won't be possible on XB1/PS4, but definitely on PC.

It doesn't block achievements. I've used it quite a bit while building my settlement and I'm still getting achievements.

I came across this and it has some really good tips despite the fact that it has poor video quality.

https://youtu.be/bNu2Vz0eUt8

• Like 1

Another question. Magazines. I have a ton of them in my inventory. I don't think they weigh anything, but can I get rid of them and keep the bonus? I see a lot of videos where people display them, so I guess that's an alternative to selling them.

Yes you can put magazine into any storage and keep the bonuses they give. You should be able to look at your perks and see if the bonuses remain after you put them in storage.

Bobble heads on the other can't be removed from your inventory unless you are putting them on the bobble head stand.

The UI is fine on pc. It's easy to navigate. People who are complaining about it are just being overly nit picky for whatever reason.

And the dialogue part that got the most complaints has already been fixed:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/? 

It's a subjective thing. I had no problem finding people who said the default Skyrim UI was fine on PC too but I couldn't stand it.  Like I said SkyUI is an essential mod for me as I find it pretty much unplayable with mouse+keyboard on PC without it.  I don't think they make two UIs so if PC players are using the same UI I am on the PS4 I'm sure I'll hate the Fallout 4 one as well.  It isn't just the dialog system (although that's even worse than Skyrim, even on console).  What works well on a TV sitting across the room on a couch and using a controller with just a few button and imprecise control (compared to a mouse) does not work so great for a monitor sitting a couple feet from you face with a far more precise mouse and the tons of buttons on the keyboard.  I don't think it's possible to make a UI that works great for both, they have different requirements that contradict each other.  You either get a UI that so-so for both or you get one that's great for one and bad for the other.  Again though it's personal preference more than anything else and if you like the Skyrim and Fallout 4 UIs on PC more power to you.  I've had zero issues with Fallout 4 on PS4 and my PC is happily hosting other games like Witcher 3 and Wastelands 2 so it's all good.

[The dev console] doesn't block achievements. I've used it quite a bit while building my settlement and I'm still getting achievements.

I came across this and it has some really good tips despite the fact that it has poor video quality.

https://youtu.be/bNu2Vz0eUt8

Maybe certain console commands (tgm?) block achievements? Or maybe the dev console blocked them in a previous game and people assumed.

Love the video. The quality, not so much, but it wasn't unwatchable until near the end. I think a lot of amateur YouTubers don't realize that a super dark play style works for them as far as immersion goes, but not so much for the people trying to watch. If you're doing instructional videos, you want to do everything during the day, and/or crank the brightness most of the way up. I knew about a lot of that stuff, but the mat under the wall was brilliant. It seems like that might be easier than using tcl to place spaced objects (fencing, etc.) close together. Oh, and that bit about door + fence = window was neat, too.

Can settlements be vacated? It would be great to put everyone in Sanctuary and the Castle. The drive-in doesn't seem defensible, at least not without fencing, and a lot of it.

So I saw a video, one of many I've watched, where a guy grabs a trash can, and while holding it out in front of him, he backpedals into a wall and begins ascending it. It's to get a secret item:

A pair of combat armor leggings that, when used together, fully negate falling damage, and this is found in the Mass Fusion building, IIRC.

My issues with settlements mostly involve around not being able to scrap some items as well as to remove shrubbery.

I'm not sure why people are making a big deal about the UI now? It's more or less the same as Fallout 3 or NV from what I remember.

As for the rest? Use the perks to "fix" those issues. It's what they are there for. Playing on survival difficulty some of the weapon perks only at 4 stars and modded weapons the game is almost too easy. Sure, enemies are bullet sponges at the start of the game but by the time you get to level 20+? It becomes a non-issue and such rebalance (using the word extremely loosely there) mods will completely break the power curve and what little balance there is for end game.

If you really fee like the enemies being bullet sponges is a huge issue then turn down the difficulty because I guarantee that by the time you get to mid to late game such "balance" mods will make the game boring to play. 

I'm not saying you are or anyone is specifically but I feel like people are being overly nit picky about this game and it's "issues". Complaining about non-issues like the UI and game balance (while playing on the highest difficulty) all the while the real issues like quests that can't be finished, poor performance in certain areas of the game resulting in wildly fluctuating fps and items not being where they are supposed to be, even though all requisites are met are being overlooked or ignored entirely.

There are mods to improve FO3, NV, Oblivion, and Skyrim UI.

The issue is much more fundamental a "I shot you through the head, why the ###### aren't you dead?" - very frustrating similar to missing point blank when using VATS.

My issues with settlements mostly involve around not being able to scrap some items as well as to remove shrubbery.

There are mods to improve FO3, NV, Oblivion, and Skyrim UI.

The issue is much more fundamental a "I shot you through the head, why the ###### aren't you dead?" - very frustrating similar to missing point blank when using VATS.

I understand that but at the same time it's an rpg. Typically you're going to weak at the start and strong at the end. It's meant to be a struggle.

I'm not saying the game balance is flawless, don't get me wrong. There is always room for improvement, I just don't know what people are expecting when they play on the highest difficulty then complain it's too hard. Which is essentially what is happening here.

On 11/26/2015, 11:40:04, dragontology said:

You can actually build a magazine rack and store the mags there.  They are displayed so you can see them.  Same with the bobble heads.

• Like 1

My power armour collection has now extended to 10, mostly T45, but I have 3 T51 sets (one complete). I found another set of Raider armour, but it's stuck in a wall and I can't get it. :(

43 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Does not really pay to go clear areas on your own.  The BOS quests take you to a lot of the same areas and I have been clearing out places twice.

Yeah, it's true for all of the factions really. Gotten duplicates with railroad and minuteman as well.

Do you have to have anyone assigned to the water pumps?  I used to get a ton of purified water from my settlements and now I have not gotten much of any.    I dont think I ever assigned anyone to the pumps

You don't have to assign anybody to water pumps. To quote Todd Howard, "[They] actually just work."

When you kill that guy before the Brotherhood of Steel ship first arrives, he drops a couple cybernetic implants. Is there any way to use them or are they just junk?

I've gotten to a point in the story where I've had to turn against two factions. The first one made sense and actually that faction made me their enemy, but the second one, I was straight up asked to murder their leader in cold blood. And I did it, because eff it, I'm sticking with the choice I made. I suppose I could have changed sides at that point, but I really wanted the faction I chose to win. Anyone else having second thoughts about their choice?

I bet there will be a guide to hedging your bets with this one like there was with New Vegas (on GameFAQs at least) so that you can make a definitive save and then do the other three factions' storylines. I should have suspected, but I kind of wish I'd known, so I could stop main questing and focused on my settlements and level building, so I'd lose a minimum of discovery and customization in going back. Now, I don't want to go back. I'm playing for the Institute now, but I think I will play for the Brotherhood next time.

Also, if, like me, you've been watching YouTube videos on Fallout 4, you might have heard that the rifle, Overseer's Guardian, is overpowered. (You can buy it at the shop in Vault 81, northwest of Diamond City.) The videos were right. It is. I found a Legendary Alpha Deathclaw, and mowed him down with minimal effort. Granted, I'm playing on Easy, but that rifle is awesome. It's my new go-to weapon, though it came with a scope and I prefer the circle sight, so I changed that. It's not really a sniper rifle. Why the hell anyone would put a scope on a fully automatic rifle is beyond me. The recoil on the thing means you're always wearing a black eye and possibly fracturing your skull. Also, you might be knocking your scope ever so slightly out of alignment, but this isn't real life anyway. Still, scope gone = weapon good.

Minor tip, not sure if you guys all know, if you make your armor pieces "Pocketed" at an armor station, it boosts carry weight. There are two more levels that require Armorer perks (I'm not sure Pocketed requires any, may just be the first level though because that's all I have). One is Deep Pocketed. I forget what the other one is called.

Even more of a minor tip, if you press Back/Select/whatever you press and hold to enter crafting mode while not at the workbench, while looking at your Pip-boy, it will go full-screen. Makes things a little easier.

Apparently Bethesda cut out an ending from FO4 during development. Bethesda also removed easy modding support with its latest patch.

Edited by _Alexander
cut ending not related to patch - editing to make clearer

2 hours ago, _Alexander said:

Apparently Bethesda cut out an ending from FO4 and removed easy modding support with its latest patch.

I've been using the beta patch for the last week and I was wondering why the default launcher always turned off my mods. Today I find out why.

I find it kind of strange that they're trying to undo the one reason why people buy their games on the pc. 

20 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

For the last week I was wondering why the default launcher always turned off my mods. Today I find out why.

I find it kind of strange that they're trying to undo the one reason why people buy their games on the pc. 

They probably want to get rich of the modding community.

Or the most likely reason is they they just happened to break the method modders were using to load their mods because there aren't proper mod tools yet (Like what happened with Fallout 3)

Anyway, killed 2 raiders in power armour today, first one I missed the fusion core and just killed him, second I actually nailed the core and managed to take out a few other raiders in one shot. So why on earth does power armour frames that raiders climb out of show as stolen? I get if it's a friendly faction or something, but if they're shooting at me and I'm shooting back, I don't feel bad about taking their stuff.

Anyway, I just made Piper climb in it and she traded the parts to me fine, sure is odd.