I always start out as a gunslinger. In fact I always call my Fallout guys Roland (as in Roland Deschain from Stephen King's Dark Tower series), but I never stick with it. I gotta watch that video... I recently watched his James Bond/Special Agent build, and it seemed pretty good. It favors pistols as well, so I'm wondering what's different here. Probably less focus on hacking. FudgeMuppet's build videos are great, but so long...

Anyway, I can't RP for crap... regardless of my intentions, Elder Scrolls or Fallout, I always play the same character. Spec ops. Sneak, infiltrate, observe patterns, pick off guys one at a time. I don't actually play Metal Gear Solid or Tom Clancy games that play like that, actually.

So, finally made enemies with one of the factions, the BOS.

Spoiler

Never liked the BOS.   All they want to do is horde tech for their own uses and kill anything that gets in their way.  They say Danse betrayed them when, even tho was a synth, fought for the BOS and killed for them.  The BOS betrayed them.  And now wanted me to go kill all the members of the RR. BOS are a bunch of wusses anyway and when I was attacked by them during Mass Fusion, they dropped like flies.  Institute is not much better.   Kill those who get in their way and want to replace humans with synths.  To munch control for one faction to have.  BOS and Institute are only out to gather tech and control everything,

Why I am sticking with the MM and RR.  They are simple, do not horde or have a lot of tech, and seem genuinely out to protect the people.   And it was tech and greed that caused the fallout to begin with...another reason I am not  going with the BOS and Institute.

12742109_10153892763507673_8624203005697

12 hours ago, techbeck said:

Hide contents

Never liked the BOS.   All they want to do is horde tech for their own uses and kill anything that gets in their way.  They say Danse betrayed them when, even tho was a synth, fought for the BOS and killed for them.  The BOS betrayed them.  And now wanted me to go kill all the members of the RR. BOS are a bunch of wusses anyway and when I was attacked by them during Mass Fusion, they dropped like flies.  Institute is not much better.   Kill those who get in their way and want to replace humans with synths.  To munch control for one faction to have.  BOS and Institute are only out to gather tech and control everything,

Why I am sticking with the MM and RR.  They are simple, do not horde or have a lot of tech, and seem genuinely out to protect the people.   And it was tech and greed that caused the fallout to begin with...another reason I am not  going with the BOS and Institute.

That was the route I took with my first playthough for pretty much those exact reasons.

I'll just leave this here: DLC

Automatron
Price: $9.99 USD | £7.99 GBP | $16.95 AUD
Release: March 2016

FO4_Add-On_Pack_v8-auto_1000.jpg

-

Wasteland Workshop
Price: $4.99 USD | £3.99 GBP | $7.95 AUD
Release: April 2016

FO4_Add-On_Pack_wasteland_workshop_1000.

-

Far Harbor <-- The actual expansion \o/
Price: $24.99 USD | £19.99 GBP | $39.95 AUD
Release: May 2016

FO4_Add-On_Pack_far_harbor_1000.jpg

Heard about the DLC. Also, the season pass is going up from $30 to $50 in March, so get it before then or forever hold your peace. Just bought it now... I was worried I couldn't, because the game is under my wife's Steam. But it worked just fine.

Found something cool yesterday. I started a new character on my own Steam profile. First time playing "as me." Though it's my third character, and I'm role playing. I usually don't do that. I'm starting with FudgeMuppet's The Agent build. But I'm using a woman. And she really turned out well. I started with one of the presets (I'm lazy) but when I went to exit the Vault, I decided to change her look. Changed her hair style, made it bleached, gave her a facial burn and scar and some other details. I think she turned out okay for what I'm role playing her as. She's part Chinese, and while working for the DIA, she was recruited as a double agent. So she married an American serviceman, and accidentally got pregnant. She didn't want a family, but it helped her gain intel. She knew the bombs were coming, and couldn't wait to use them to turn the tides in her favor. Her first order of business is to get to Fenway Park, where she believes she can still find a dead drop meant for her. It's a long shot but at least worth looking into. She won't find it, but she'll befriend Piper and use Piper to get information on the local factions. She's deadly with a pistol but prefers infiltration, espionage, and social engineering to get ahead in the shadows. She's going to fall in love with MacCready, but leave him once he goes soft. She'll eventually get a dog and just run with that.

So I come out of the Vault, and as usual, I scavenge the yellow boxes and the two small buildings. I noticed a second path leading away from the Vault, to the south. Since my character's back story has her going straight to Diamond City, I had been planning on going through Sanctuary Hills and the Red Rocket station, getting Dogmeat, but I followed this lead instead. Now I'm currently... I forget where I saved. I passed Graygarden. Narrowly missed a building with some ghouls. I've only killed the radroaches in 111, some raiders, and a blood bug. And a wild dog. The raiders, though. Just after leaving the 111 area south along the path, I came to something I'd never seen in the wild. A bar, like you can build in settlement mode, standing in the middle of nowhere! Have a look, here. I should have gone to the map and gotten a screenshot, but if you go to Vault 111 and head south, there's a path, I don't think you can miss it. To the east of that bar is a power pole, and 3-4 raiders. She was hoping they'd get her a drink, but they shot first, and I (she) shot last.

(I'm a guy, but Black Widow is more valuable than Lady Killer, IMO. FudgeMuppet's build doesn't take that perk, but he does take Aqua Boy/Girl, so I'll trade for that. I don't care about breathing underwater I have it on my main guy and it's cool, but not really worth a perk point.)

Also, my girl doesn't look Chinese, but the preset I used was definitely Asian. She had really weird hair, which was fine for a housewife, but now with her faux husband killed, she's gonna let loose a bit. And she doesn't much care about Shaun. I know that's cold, but *I* don't care about Shaun... and it's an evil character. Haven't decided if she's going to side with the Institute or Brotherhood. Whichever one offers more power.)

On 2/15/2016 at 7:43 AM, techbeck said:

Reveal hidden contents

Heh, that's not how I read the BOS at all.

I sided with them on my first play through.

Spoiler

My read on the BOS is that they strive to return the world to how it was before the bombs dropped.  That means they have to erradicate every rad scorpion, super mutant, synth, etc.  That seemed like the most likely fit to me for a character who grew up and lived before the bombs dropped and didn't live through the world changing, all those radiation created creatures/races are new and alien to you and I figured the BOS militaristic structure also fit since you're supposed to be a military veteran (if male).  They don't just horde tech but of course they try to acquire as much of the old tech as they can to achieve their own goal and of course they try to keep advanced tech out of the hands of their enemies.  They think Danse betrayed them because they don't believe he didn't know he was a synth (what would a synth that DID try to infiltrate them say?  The same thing) and thus they do believe he lied to them.  Even Danse himself, who fully buys into the goal of trying to return things to how they were, comes to see himself as the abomination the BOS thinks he is.  Nobody really betrayed anyone because Danse didn't know but he still needs to die because all synths, including the railroad, must die as they represent a significant threat to the return of the humanity to it's dominant role.  As for who is wusses all the factions are wusses compared to the player character.  You can gun down whichever faction you choose with relative ease.

Now if the main character had been one that grew up in the post bomb world I likely wouldn't have sided with the BOS.  If you grew up with neighbors who were ghouls and rad scorpions and such were just another creature in the world you've known about your whole life then that character would probably see the BOS as a bunch of Human Supremacists.  At that point I'd definitely still like the Minutemen but other than that I'm not sure what factions are good to support.  The institute are a bunch of isolationist elitists and I DO think no matter what your thoughts are on Ghouls and other things Synths are still a threat to living beings.  They replace people and infiltrate society, they're manufactured and can have programming that THEY don't even know about that could be triggered at any time.  As such just setting them free on the world seems like a BAD idea.  I'm not sure I'd go so far as to hunt them down and kill them all in a more open minded, post-bombs character game but I'd certainly try to destroy their capacity to be created.

Reddit did the math and Far Harbor is Bar Harbor and it most likely takes place in Acadia National Park

Spoiler

bG1Gjs9.png

Nice and isolated, Hope its got lots to explore like point lookout. :D

On 2/16/2016 at 4:53 PM, dragontology said:

Just after leaving the 111 area south along the path, I came to something I'd never seen in the wild. A bar, like you can build in settlement mode, standing in the middle of nowhere! Have a look, here. I should have gone to the map and gotten a screenshot, but if you go to Vault 111 and head south, there's a path, I don't think you can miss it. To the east of that bar is a power pole, and 3-4 raiders. She was hoping they'd get her a drink, but they shot first, and I (she) shot last.

That's a random occurrence, I ran into that bar just outside of the settlement to the far southwest (near Vault 95)

• Like 1

I stopped getting and quality random occurrences other then enemies.  I was getting a lot of them,but now...nothing in weeks.  Kinda sucks.  I got 2 extra dogs tho.  Dogmeat has a buddy and the other one is at the drive in.  The dogs dont seem to count toward settle population tho....just dogmeat.

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

I stopped getting and quality random occurrences other then enemies.  I was getting a lot of them,but now...nothing in weeks.  Kinda sucks.  I got 2 extra dogs tho.  Dogmeat has a buddy and the other one is at the drive in.  The dogs dont seem to count toward settle population tho....just dogmeat.

They do count towards Settlement defense.  And I don't think Dogmeat counts as population.

28 minutes ago, soniqstylz said:

They do count towards Settlement defense.  And I don't think Dogmeat counts as population.

Didnt know they counted toward defense.   Thought dogmeat counted towards population tho...but it has been while and I didnt notice.

The BOS are pricks :p

Love killing Danse for his sweet coat... and then everyone else on the airship to loot it all!!!

5 hours ago, Louisifer said:

5 new achievements added for Automatron dlc, everyone's 100% is now 91%. :p

My 6% is now 5%. Since I started over. I opened Steam and saw I still had 6% and 3/50, but then I clicked on another game and then back to Fallout 4, and it updated. :( Oh well. Got the Season Pass.

This is on my Steam profile. Since Fallout 4 was mistakenly added to my wife's Steam account rather than mine (when installing from physical, it doesn't show you what Steam account will get it when you input the code, and being sick + no sleep, I didn't think to check), I played it on hers, and by the time I realized I could do family sharing, I was already well into my game. And she doesn't play it, and if she did, she doesn't care about achievements. So, I will get them all on mine. (And, years down the road where Fallout 4 GOTY is $10 or less, I'll buy it again just so I have all of them on my account. Not at full price though.)

Trying to do the Eddie Winter quest with Nick.  Problem is, MM stopped giving out quests for some reason and not finding a lot of terminals to hack to raise my affinity.  I am close I think but been a pain.  Saw something about donating items...whatever that means.

On 2/19/2016 at 7:57 PM, techbeck said:

Trying to do the Eddie Winter quest with Nick.  Problem is, MM stopped giving out quests for some reason and not finding a lot of terminals to hack to raise my affinity.  I am close I think but been a pain.  Saw something about donating items...whatever that means.

Upgrade armor or weapons with Nick around.  

1 minute ago, soniqstylz said:

Upgrade armor or weapons with Nick around.  

I finally did the Eddie Winter quest earlier. 

Spoiler

Eddie was a wuss and I let Nick take care of him with his Spray and Pray auto explosive sub machine gun I gave him. I didnt even fire a shot.

I gave Cait Kellogs outfit and that looks pretty good on her.  I gave Piper the Silver Shroud outfit, and that looks pretty good as well.  Went and found a bunch of armor for Strong and trying to deck out the other companions.  Shame that you cannot change Nick's outfit and Deacon changes outfits so often that if you give him an outfit, chances are he will change it soon after and you will lose it for good (or so ive heard)

On 2/18/2016 at 9:35 AM, Louisifer said:

I think you mean Maxon. :p 

I haven't met him during the multiple endings yet so this run I'll get it for one of the companions.

Yea, BOS is ###### at me and an enemy.  I killed so many verti birds I lost count. They go down easily.  Looking forward to wiping them out completely.

I found that Cait looks absolutely smashing in a tux and top hat. Couldn't really improve much on Piper. Once I get a bit better and further in the game, I'd like to find three tuxes and three top hats, and a mod that lets me take two companions. Give Piper and Cait submachine guns, and take the Spray n' Pray for myself. I posted the picture of my new character before, but here it is again. I'm worried she might have Cait's hair (but in white). So I might have to change that so they look more different from one another. There's Curie as well, but three's already a crowd with this game engine. Did Tradecraft, the first Railroad quest, with Deacon of course, and MacCready as well, and one or both of them was always in my way. I grabbed the power armor that was on the way. I was in power armor, and mere humans were able to confine me to a room by standing in the doorway. Pretty sad.

Speaking of power armor, can it actually be repaired? It says you can't put it on the frame until you repair it, but I saw no option to repair it in the inventory or the armor workbench. Do I need the Repair bobblehead? (Though, that only claims to make fusion cores last longer.)

Decided I needed the Perception bobblehead for my build. I was taking other perks from the levels 2-10 chart, but I needed PER 4 for Lockpicking (and Lockpicking II). So I go to Concord. Clear out the raiders outside. Clear out the Museum of History. Walk right past Preston, grab the Bobblehead. As I'm searching the room for scrap, he says, "So you're just gonna leave?" And I did exactly that. Grabbed the power armor and the minigun, fast traveled to Red Rocket, did not encounter the Deathclaw. I will not be returning to Concord, and I'm just going to pretend the Deathclaw got them all. Too bad, so sad. I like the Minutemen, but they're more annoying than not.

As for the Brotherhood, they're definitely the Fallout 1/2/New Vegas Brotherhood, not the Elder Lyons Brotherhood from Fallout 3. Lyons made his own, "nice," Wastelander friendly Brotherhood, but most members agree he's a bad leader. The Brotherhood might not be as evil as the Enclave, but I feel that they're both wrong. Two sides of the same wrong coin. But the NCR isn't exactly good, either. They want to be, but they have the same problems as the Old World government, and shouldn't be allowed to return to power. And the Institute isn't really good either, but like the NCR, they have noble goals. The Railroad and Minutemen have no big picture, long term goals, they just want to help the people around them. So they may be the good guys, just not good for the area's long term survival. But is it up to us to decide that? Do we gain anything by choosing right, or lose anything by guessing wrong? No, we don't. Really doesn't seem to be any consequence of choosing who to side with. Really, you should get a perk for every faction standing at the end, and possibly some kind of anti-perk for every faction destroyed. Or a stern talking-to. Like, "You destroyed the Institute, which in ten years could have eradicated all the radiation. But now that won't happen. Good job, hero." Or maybe just a SPECIAL bonus for each faction. +1 STR, +1 END for Brotherhood, +1 PER, +1 CHA for Minutemen, +2 INT for Institute, and +1 AGI, +1 LCK for Railroad. Heh. That actually evenly divides them, and fits each faction best...

32 minutes ago, dragontology said:

Speaking of power armor, can it actually be repaired? It says you can't put it on the frame until you repair it, but I saw no option to repair it in the inventory or the armor workbench. Do I need the Repair bobblehead? (Though, that only claims to make fusion cores last longer.)

You need to put the power armor pieces in your inventory/on your person.  Then go to the power armor station and you can repair it.

• Like 1

Yesterday, Fallout 4 game director Todd Howard teased everyone watching this year’s DICE summit.

During an interview with comedian Pete Holmes, Howard was asked if there was anything hiding in Fallout 4 that people hadn’t found yet.

“There’s a couple of things, but I don’t want to say em,” Howard replied. “[Players] eventually will find them. There’s one really good one that no one’s really talked about...it’s in a terminal somewhere.”

So, what could it be? Players over on Reddit and comment sections around the web are speculating, trying to come up with potential things that might have been overlooked online, especially when it comes to the non-terminal related secret. Howard did mention a “couple” of things, after all.

We know, or rather assume, that there’s not much hiding underwater—someone has already tried exploring all of it. That said, one of the weird things that came up during that investigation was the existence of interactive buoy bells. Some, as Lavonicus discovered, were even marked by fish. This led to speculation that maybe, just maybe, Fallout 4 had a “ghoul whale” somewhere, which players could uncover if they just rang the bells in a certain order:

http://kotaku.com/the-hunt-for-fallout-4s-last-secret-1760111981

On 2/20/2016 at 0:58 AM, techbeck said:

You need to put the power armor pieces in your inventory/on your person.  Then go to the power armor station and you can repair it.

Huh. I must have a mod conflict or something, or maybe I completely overlooked it. Found this video, and they make it look real easy and intuitive. Could have sworn I tried that and Repair was not given as an option. But it's entirely possible I missed it.

New Beta update available on steam:

Fallout 4 1.4.124 Beta Update

New Features

Support for add-ons

Additional art customization added to Workshop:

Super Mutant clutter including meat totems, meat bags and meat cart

Raider clutter including raider poles, cages and tents

Abstract and portrait paintings

Variety of new signs

More metal and wood doors variants

Fixes

General stability and performance improvements

During "Getting a Clue" quest, Kellogg's desk will remain a working container

During "Rocket's Red Glare", resolved issue where companions could not be dismissed after completing the quest

Fixed an issue with "Kremvh's Tooth" quest item not spawning properly

Settlements under attack will now display an updated message with the results of the attack if player does not respond

Fixed an issue with screen effects not clearing away properly after using a scope

Fixed an issue with trying to sprint while in third person with a minigun equipped

Rank 4 of Demolition Expert perk now properly increases the area effect of explosives

The Scrounger perk now includes additional common ammo types

Fixed an issue where Calvin Whitaker would disappear in Vault 81

Fixed an issue where Ninja and Sandman perks combined would apply the incorrect damage bonus

Fixed an issue where Rank 3 of Grim Reaper's Sprint did not fill critical meter properly

Fixed an issue with key cards not spawning correctly in Vault 75

Fixed an issue where enemies would stop spawning during "Airship Down"

Being in first person while wearing power armor and quickly switching weapons will no longer cause the Pip-Boy to be stuck

Fixed an issue with the autosave counter getting incorrectly reset

Fixed issue that would cause the Pip-Boy menu to turn invisible while swimming

Fixed an issue where scrapping larger quantities of a single item would inadvertently scrap a legendary item

Fixed issue where exiting workbenches would cause third person to stop working properly

The Scribe can now be assigned consecutive settlements properly

Fixed issue with duplicating scraps shipments

Fixed issue with vendors not properly exchanging caps after several consecutive transactions in a row

Fixed issue with the quicksave and autosave message persisting through loading screens

Fixed an issue where updating to the latest patch would cause Options settings to reset back to default (Xbox One)

Fixed an issue with loading save with a placed object in water, not properly floating

Wish they would put on more fixes for the consoles.  Lot more options in workshop are needed.  Specially where lighting is concerned, windows for crafting, and a bunch of other stuff.  And getting annoyed they are not fixing the random encounters or making them more frequent.  All I get is random enemy encounters.  Have not gotten anything new in a while.