2 hours ago, techbeck said:

Just wish I remembered where I got the shotgun from.  Have not found one like it since and have not seen anyone post it online yet.  I found a rifle exactly like Tinker Tom's and found a legendary Fatman that launches an extra projectile.  I dont use heavy weapons much (heavy) and tend to stick to rifles for range and my shotgun for close up.

I have 2 trunks loaded with legendary weapons and armor.  And a cabinet loaded with extra mines, grenades, and all sorts of aid.  Starting the game, all these were hard to find.  Now I have to much I never have to buy any of this.

I've heard the 2 shot Fatman + MIRV is essentially a carpet bomb :laugh: never let a companion hold it.

I would love an exploding projectile Broadsider but I doubt gifts can randomly get legendary effects. :(

Just now, Louisifer said:

I've heard the 2 shot Fatman + MIRV is essentially a carpet bomb :laugh: never let a companion hold it.

I would love an exploding projectile Broadsider but I doubt gifts can randomly get legendary effects. :(

I once asked Strong to hold a MIRV launcher while inside the Gunners Plaza, it didn't end well :/

2 minutes ago, Kierax2016 said:

I once asked Strong to hold a MIRV launcher while inside the Gunners Plaza, it didn't end well :/

I love when you fire a rocket or toss a grenade, the companion runs out in front and ends up killing me.

1 minute ago, Kierax2016 said:

I swear they make it so heavy so you offload it to a companion only to find out they picked up ammo. :D

Tip: If you are ever low on ammo always loot the main gun from bodies, you get whats in the clip, you can discard weapons after. :) that's why when you send a companion to loot a body that they suddenly fire off a rocket or use a minigun .:D

21 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

I swear they make it so heavy so you offload it to a companion only to find out they picked up ammo. :D

Tip: If you are ever low on ammo always loot the main gun from bodies, you get whats in the clip, you can discard weapons after. :) that's why when you send a companion to loot a body that they suddenly fire off a rocket or use a minigun .:D

I have no issues with ammo anymore.  I have way more than I need.  Several thousand fusion cells so Piper is equipment with a legendary laser with plenty of ammo.

Isn't it still true that a companion only needs one bullet/cell/projectile to have unlimited?

Guns carry ammo? Huh. Will have to test this. I thought the only ammo you could loot was what was declared in the loot list.

Non-named random effect guns? Don't bother remembering where you found it. It's random. Someone else will find something completely different there. If there were a definitive place to find it, the YouTubers would have covered it by now.

Started over again. Third character. First woman. There are more men than women, so Black Widow becomes more worthwhile than Lady Killer.

I'm wondering if it's possible to play the game entirely without the Minutemen. What if you never help Preston Garvey? You can still get most of the settlements by doing something for them or simply clearing them out. I'm beginning to think I don't need them. Am I wrong?

9 minutes ago, dragontology said:

Isn't it still true that a companion only needs one bullet/cell/projectile to have unlimited?

Guns carry ammo? Huh. Will have to test this. I thought the only ammo you could loot was what was declared in the loot list.

Non-named random effect guns? Don't bother remembering where you found it. It's random. Someone else will find something completely different there. If there were a definitive place to find it, the YouTubers would have covered it by now.

Started over again. Third character. First woman. There are more men than women, so Black Widow becomes more worthwhile than Lady Killer.

I'm wondering if it's possible to play the game entirely without the Minutemen. What if you never help Preston Garvey? You can still get most of the settlements by doing something for them or simply clearing them out. I'm beginning to think I don't need them. Am I wrong?

Companions need ammo for guns you give them, settlers only need 1 bullet and that doesn't include grenades/missiles/mini nukes for obvious reasons. :p

It's either their primary weapon or the last one they used, if they have more than one gun only one will give you ammo, I'm not far into my survival playthrough and I already have over 1000 bullets from all the pipe pistols I loot and drop. :D

I was watching Cohhcarnage's Melee-only survival run and he just continued being rude and turned down joining the minute men and I don't think he had any interactions with them after that. Melee-only is super OP, you could probably take on all 4 factions at once if you had enough Nuka Quantum to restore AP. :laugh:

I noticed my save folder & Steam Cloud had over 850mb of Fallout 4 saves. :|

I decided to tidy up and make some changes so I can find the important saves:

XkKoDo3.png

From what I've learned you can name them anything but it will only show up in the default unfiltered list and 'show all saves' list and you can't filter by character, any future save will look like Save0_00000000_.....

"save type" _ "group ID" _ "name in hex" _ "location" _ "playtime DDHHMM" _ "YYYYMMDDHHMMSS" _ "level" _ "?"

The saves are parsed by '_' and only the first 2 sections are important if you want to filter by character, anything after the 2nd '_' can be replaced with something more descriptive.

If you change the group ID to something else then you will see another entry in the select character menu with the same name, any further auto/quick/save will use the same group ID you specified. handy if you want to play all outcomes and don't want to create a new character or try and find that one save from a few days ago that's labelled Commonwealth just like the rest. :p

If you want to customise the in game description you have to use a program like F4SGE from nexus and change the location's name under "Header" and save, handy if you use a certain save for testing stuff. :)

If you do mess with saves, make sure Fo4 launcher or the game is running or steam will kindly give you all your saves back. :shiftyninja: I had to wait 2 whole minutes for it to start while it gave me back 850mb of saves.

Also 'load' may break if you change group ID's while its running, re-launching fixes it.

Edited by Louisifer

On 1/22/2016 at 9:51 AM, Louisifer said:

Been doing some legendary farming.  Heard there was an explosive assault rifle that I want.  Have not found it....yet.

2 shot fatman....can buy from Arturo in Diamond City.  Called The Big Boy.

I never seem to run out of money anymore.  I got enough purified water coming in that pays for pretty much everything I need to buy and then some.   Found pieces for every power armor cept one.  So I have about 30 complete sets.  Speaking of power armor, companion can use it without a fusion core.  I dont use power armor much really cept in the glowing sea. 

15 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Been doing some legendary farming.  Heard there was an explosive assault rifle that I want.  Have not found it....yet.

2 shot fatman....can buy from Arturo in Diamond City.  Called The Big Boy.

I never seem to run out of money anymore.  I got enough purified water coming in that pays for pretty much everything I need to buy and then some.   Found pieces for every power armor cept one.  So I have about 30 complete sets.  Speaking of power armor, companion can use it without a fusion core.  I dont use power armor much really cept in the glowing sea. 

I never use vendors except right at the beginning when you find that great gun but have no ammo. >.< I've probably walked past tons of people who were selling legendarys.

I tried a water farm once at the slog and forgot the defence before I left, walked back only to be greeted by warlords and primes with mini guns playing with my residents. :p

15 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

I never use vendors except right at the beginning when you find that great gun but have no ammo. >.< I've probably walked past tons of people who were selling legendarys.

I tried a water farm once at the slog and forgot the defence before I left, walked back only to be greeted by warlords and primes with mini guns playing with my residents. :p

Only a couple random people wandering around sell legendary.  Normally they are merchants in fixed locations for the most part.

Supermutants are a PITA in harder game modes.  Luckily, I found a legendary assault rifle that does 50% more damage against super mutants.

4 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Only a couple random people wandering around sell legendary.  Normally they are merchants in fixed locations for the most part.

Supermutants are a PITA in harder game modes.  Luckily, I found a legendary assault rifle that does 50% more damage against super mutants.

Found myself a 20% chance to cripple pipe pistol today and claimed my 1st survival behemoth at lvl 14. :laugh: I should rename it "David"

Just now, Louisifer said:

Found myself a 20% chance to cripple pipe pistol today and claimed my 1st survival behemoth at lvl 14. :laugh: I should rename it "David"

Dont use pistols myself.  Assault rifles normally, then my shotgun for close encounters, and sniper for long range.  But I have a few pretty nice pistols. 

I'm more of a sniper so I use anything with a long range and a silencer,  I use my trusty Protectron Guardian companion that I named Billy III for close quarters, he's a higher level than me. >.< Well.. I say he's trusty but he turned himself off at one of my settlements and I cant use him till I get the hacking perk, Billy IV just didn't cut it, he was a good fighter but loved the pretty lights of the tesla arc too much.

24 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

I'm more of a sniper so I use anything with a long range and a silencer,  I use my trusty Protectron Guardian companion that I named Billy III for close quarters, he's a higher level than me. >.< Well.. I say he's trusty but he turned himself off at one of my settlements and I cant use him till I get the hacking perk, Billy IV just didn't cut it, he was a good fighter but loved the pretty lights of the tesla arc too much.

Should have called him Johny 5.....

So, I am finally going to do the Battle of Bunker Hill quest.  I want to warn the Railroad only, but in order to do so I must talk to Desdemona first, tell her I will side with them and not the Minutemen, and then I get the quest Underground Undercover.  After I do that, I can warn Desdemona about the battle of Bunker Hill.  I cannot warn them about the battle of Bunker Hill unless I tell her I will help the RR and not the MM.

Question here is, if I choose to side with the RR and not the MM, does that decide who I side with for the rest of the game?  Or does that come later?

If you do team up with RR you will have to get yourself on the Institutes bad side to trigger MM's remaining quests as I think you agreed to help the Institute to access its missions.

3 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

If you do team up with RR you will have to get yourself on the Institutes bad side to trigger MM's remaining quests as I think you agreed to help the Institute to access its missions.

I have done all the main missions for all factions so far.  The last mission I did for the Institute is where I get the battle of bunker hill quest.  I can either warn the BOS, RR, both, nor none.  I want to warn the RR but like I said before, I must side with them before I get that option.

So I guess my question is, when is the point of no return where I must choose a faction?

Without naming the quest, its only a few away and it will warn you that you are about to make enemies and give you the option to not do it yet.

1 minute ago, Louisifer said:

Without naming the quest, its only a few away and it will warn you that you are about to make enemies and give you the option to not do it yet.

Yea, just saw that myself.  I was worried if I told the RR I would side with them and not hte MM, I would screw something up.  I went back and talked to the BOS/Elder Maxon and he have me 2 more missions to do.  I then went to the RR, said I would side with them and not hte RR and got another mission from them.   So I guess I had not finshed the BOS and RR quests yet.

I bumped into Art and Art having a shootout and the synth won so I killed him, an hour later I bump into Art and Art having a gun fight again so I killed the synth.. then an hour later I bump into them again. O_O  I'm starting to think there is no real Art. D: 

7 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

I bumped into Art and Art having a shootout and the synth won so I killed him, an hour later I bump into Art and Art having a gun fight again so I killed the synth.. then an hour later I bump into them again. O_O  I'm starting to think there is no real Art. D: 

Think the quest is bugged.  One Art should have the other held at gun point and it is up to you to decide who is real or not. 

I did a funny quest, kid in a fridge, the other day.  Just happened upon it.

Yeh that was awesome,  Bethesda did a good job seeding the world with random quests that you could miss if you weren't paying any attention. The physics engine adds to the fun too, Dogmeat jumped at a Molerat that was jumping and for the next 10 seconds I watched them fly away till Dogmeat killed it. :laugh: