[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

Apologies if this has already been covered.  But will the "Action Center" become the new method of pushing ads/offers?

The "Get Office" app decides to reinstall itself every so often (I'm assuming after the cumulative updates?) ... and there isn't an option to disable it the "Show notification from these apps".

...and no.  I do not not want Office on this particular notebook.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Looks like intel finally pushed out graphics drivers for older GMA3600 or whatever IGP comes with the Atom Z2760 that's in my Samsung Smart PC 500T, finally got the green light to upgrade to Windows 10 last night, all looks well now, one or two tweaks for me to do, it defaulted to desktop mode but I set it to tablet mode, hardly use the KB attachment with it.  

The only issue I've noticed on my Samsung tablet after the upgrade is that edge is slow on the neowin front page, it even hangs for a bit.  Could just be javascript working overtime and the Atom cpu not being that fast, I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 10 had been working great for me, uptil today, was working when I received a sudden BSOD from the Windows Store. A piece of software I have not used and am not willing to use, along with the live tiles. Is there a way to completely disable the store and all the associated apps. That part of Windows 10 is totally useless to me as I use my computer as a work only device will my media / new consumption is via my mobile.

2015-09-07 18.28.18.jpg

Windows 10 had been working great for me, uptil today, was working when I received a sudden BSOD from the Windows Store. A piece of software I have not used and am not willing to use, along with the live tiles. Is there a way to completely disable the store and all the associated apps. That part of Windows 10 is totally useless to me as I use my computer as a work only device will my media / new consumption is via my mobile.

2015-09-07 18.28.18.jpg

Run this magic command (run powershell as administrator)  Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

This will remove all tiles and modern apps except photos, edge and cortana.

You can set the old vista/7/8 photo viewer through  default apps in the control panel.

If you download the free AreoTweaker you can get shiny colored titlebars and the old volume and network dialog back too

Run this magic command (run powershell as administrator)  Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

This will remove all tiles and modern apps except photos, edge and cortana.

You can set the old vista/7/8 photo viewer through  default apps in the control panel.

If you download the free AreoTweaker you can get shiny colored titlebars and the old volume and network dialog back too

Thank you, I will do that. Also is there a way to stop Skype from asking which photo viewer I would like to open images I received in? I have set the old photo viewer as default for all image extensions, but Skype asks for this every time, its annoying.

Edit: Duh! I just did that and my calculator is gone now :( Do we still have the old calculator in there?

Thank you, I will do that. Also is there a way to stop Skype from asking which photo viewer I would like to open images I received in? I have set the old photo viewer as default for all image extensions, but Skype asks for this every time, its annoying.

Edit: Duh! I just did that and my calculator is gone now :( Do we still have the old calculator in there?

I'm assuming this still works (the "old" calculator from Win7/8)...it did at least in the Insider Previews.  

http://winaero.com/download.php?view.1795

• 2 weeks later...

So, just had a worse-case scenario with my PC (Still don't know what happened), but had to nuke everything and start over. Did a clean install from the upgrade media thinking I'll need to have a "nice" chat with a Microsoft call center, but when Windows started up, it was.... activated, much to my surprise. I know there was a lot of back and forth with the upgrade and activation, so out of curiosity, does Windows 10 use an activation code assigned to my Live account, or...?

The (re)activation is based on the hardware alone. Perfect for (pre-win10) OEM computers, horrible for whoever changes components often that will have to repeat the whole upgrade process again, and nobody knows what will happen when the free upgrade period is over since people don't have any proof of ownership (the product key assigned with the upgrade is not unique).

• Like 2

The (re)activation is based on the hardware alone. Perfect for (pre-win10) OEM computers, horrible for whoever changes components often that will have to repeat the whole upgrade process again, and nobody knows what will happen when the free upgrade period is over since people don't have any proof of ownership (the product key assigned with the upgrade is not unique).

Ahhh, ok. Thanks!

So, just had a worse-case scenario with my PC (Still don't know what happened), but had to nuke everything and start over. Did a clean install from the upgrade media thinking I'll need to have a "nice" chat with a Microsoft call center, but when Windows started up, it was.... activated, much to my surprise. I know there was a lot of back and forth with the upgrade and activation, so out of curiosity, does Windows 10 use an activation code assigned to my Live account, or...?

Same thing happened to my tablet yesterday!, no idea what happened but I had the screen go blank with just a ghost of any gestures ... could be a hardware fault though I suppose.

Any how I re-installed 10240 and it's back up and running again, just as well I don't keep anything important on it, it's just for late night browsing!

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I have a lot of problems. Windows stuck sometimes 4 -5 times in a hour. Windows 7 always worked very stable.

The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

This is what I found in the Events, but driver is up to date for my Router (Belkin). F9K1103_WW_1.10.17.bin

Driver_Issue_Belkin.thumb.JPG.14f4ffbb66

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I have a lot of problems. Windows stuck sometimes 4 -5 times in a hour. Windows 7 always worked very stable.

The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

This is what I found in the Events, but driver is up to date for my Router (Belkin). F9K1103_WW_1.10.17.bin

Driver_Issue_Belkin.thumb.JPG.14f4ffbb66

Why is your router installing drivers? What kind of computer do you have?

Dark theme in Mail was there for quite a while already. Store got color backgrounds for app headers (title, description, screenshots). Back action that was bypassing some screens got fixed. And it's no longer resetting scroll position when getting back into lists.

This has been irritating me a lot. Almost every time I use a program (like Skype) that tries to open an image file I get this message "How do you want to open this file?".

I have set Windows Photo Viewer as the default for opening .JPG, .BMP and .PNG files and if I open the photos directly from the downloads folder they open without a prompt, its only if I use any program that I get prompted. Is there any way to stop the prompts and open using what is already the default. I always check the box that says "Always use this app to open .XXX files." but it never works.

epyETgE.png

• 2 weeks later...

The solution to that is simple my friend. Do an image backup with Acronis True Image. Save yourself the headaches.

I haven't had any problems, but then again, I did a complete clean install after the free upgrade. This is how I did it for those who may want to know:

1. Run the MediaCreation app and download Windows 10 ISO and make an install DVD. Once that's done, run MediaCreation app again and do the upgrade instead of the ISO. Wait for upgrade to finish.

2. Once Windows 10 is installed, download Speccy and get your Windows 10 key and write it down.

3. Insert your Windows 10 ISO disc and reboot to it to install Windows 10.

4. Choose custom installation and delete ALL your partitions and start fresh.

5. Done

Worked for me. Got rid of old Windows stuff and did a fresh install. Everything working well so far.

I haven't had any problems, but then again, I did a complete clean install after the free upgrade. This is how I did it for those who may want to know:

1. Run the MediaCreation app and download Windows 10 ISO and make an install DVD. Once that's done, run MediaCreation app again and do the upgrade instead of the ISO. Wait for upgrade to finish.

2. Once Windows 10 is installed, download Speccy and get your Windows 10 key and write it down.

3. Insert your Windows 10 ISO disc and reboot to it to install Windows 10.

4. Choose custom installation and delete ALL your partitions and start fresh.

5. Done

Worked for me. Got rid of old Windows stuff and did a fresh install. Everything working well so far.

You DO NOT need to "salvage" your key from the registry with Speccy or MagicalJellyBean etc. Clean installs can "skip" the key part. In 10525 and up you can simply click "I don't have a key" and as long as that same hardware has been upgraded before (i.e. by an in-place upgrade or GenuineTicket XML generation), it will activate when you connect to the internet. All WITHOUT the key.

This has been irritating me a lot. Almost every time I use a program (like Skype) that tries to open an image file I get this message "How do you want to open this file?".

I have set Windows Photo Viewer as the default for opening .JPG, .BMP and .PNG files and if I open the photos directly from the downloads folder they open without a prompt, its only if I use any program that I get prompted. Is there any way to stop the prompts and open using what is already the default. I always check the box that says "Always use this app to open .XXX files." but it never works.

epyETgE.png

Anyone facing this issue, or knows of a way to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be fine for me so far, but I only updated yesterday through clean install. Good thing have been updating their hp envy drivers a lot more often with this Windows 10 upgrade. I notice it seems smoother in normal operations, but I still think there's plenty of room for optimisation.