[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

Any news on Windows 11?

So far, after 6 years MacBook Pro experience, I like W10. And see very well structured effort for improvement, We don't need W11. We want to love W10.

So far, after 6 years MacBook Pro experience, I like W10. And see very well structured effort for improvement, We don't need W11. We want to love W10.

As far as I know, there will only be Windows 10, which will be a continually evolving OS from now on....it does work well for me...:)

Maybe the title of this topic should be changed to reflect the new build number?  The title shows 10240 after all...

Oh, and a weirdness I've noticed in settings being synced:  On my desktop, i just did a clean install of 10586.  Although i have syncing of everything except theme turned on, my CMD prompt settings did not get synced to the way I've had them customized since beginning to test Insider builds way back when.  However, on my laptop, also running 10586 with the exact syncing settings, the customized CMD window size and text / background colors did get synced properly.

Edited by BeerFan
  • Like 2

Upgrade experience was fine with th2.  It went relatively fast considering the computer I have 10 running on is low-end.  Only issue is that it destroyed my ELAN touchpad drivers.  I had to go back to the ASUS website and download the 8.1 drivers which worked.  Though now every time the notebook boots it Windows it gives me a smartscreen warning for the ELAN driver (if I get into the desktop before the WiFi kicks on).  Annoying problem which I'll figure out later with the help of Google.

Good update to edgehtml but still, we had to wait for a full OS upgrade to get it. I hope they start pushing updates to edge from the store or we're not going to see another till Redstone starts to come out.

Upgrade experience was fine with th2.  It went relatively fast considering the computer I have 10 running on is low-end.  Only issue is that it destroyed my ELAN touchpad drivers.  I had to go back to the ASUS website and download the 8.1 drivers which worked.  Though now every time the notebook boots it Windows it gives me a smartscreen warning for the ELAN driver (if I get into the desktop before the WiFi kicks on).  Annoying problem which I'll figure out later with the help of Google.

If it's a ZIP archive you have to right-click on the downloaded driver file, select Properties and click the "Unblock" button at the bottom, otherwise the block propagates to all the extracted files. Of course, if OEMs did give a damn about their customers they would have bothered to use standalone installers or SFX archives to avoid the issue. One more reason to stay away from companies that don't supply drivers through WU (and to point the finger at Microsoft that still lets OEMs get away with their 'exclusive' customized drivers from hell rather than forcing them to support the generic ones through WU).

• Like 1

My personnel experience was the upgrade path made my PC unstable so did a clean install of the new build, my boot time has nearly been cut in half, so overall, an improvement, but they still need to do some work on the menu.

Another Cumulative Update...KB3118754  As usual "This update includes improvements to enhance the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511".

Only change I saw right off the bat is that the copyright year has been changed from 2016 back to 2015 and build is now 10586.11

Anyway, little rant.  Why all these dang updates?  I remember when the Linux community would laugh about up-times ... mostly because of the instability of Windows.  Now, up-times are a terrible because every week (it seems) you have to reboot because of some Cumulative Update ... I mean dang another one just a week after th2? My Win 7 computers maybe get rebooted once a month (patch Tuesday) except for the occasional random security update every now and then.

Also, the change logs...example of laziness.  Not providing at least a hint of how large the downloads are (with Win 10 and Office 16) ... laziness.  Yes, I know it is a cumulative update so that size varies ... but when it starts downloading it should know right?

Anyway, just seems like 10 is now in a perpetual state of updates after updates ... dare I say beta state?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

###### improving the os, lets just sit and let the security holes stay wide open so you can brag about your uptime.

###### improving the os, lets just sit and let the security holes stay wide open so you can brag about your uptime.

Who said anything about "bragging"?  I'm all for security patches .... however with their very vague summary ... it didn't mention anything about security - "This update includes improvements to enhance the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511".  

Another Cumulative Update...KB3118754  As usual "This update includes improvements to enhance the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511".

Only change I saw right off the bat is that the copyright year has been changed from 2016 back to 2015 and build is now 10586.11

Anyway, little rant.  Why all these dang updates?  I remember when the Linux community would laugh about up-times ... mostly because of the instability of Windows.  Now, up-times are a terrible because every week (it seems) you have to reboot because of some Cumulative Update ... I mean dang another one just a week after th2? My Win 7 computers maybe get rebooted once a month (patch Tuesday) except for the occasional random security update every now and then.

Also, the change logs...example of laziness.  Not providing at least a hint of how large the downloads are (with Win 10 and Office 16) ... laziness.  Yes, I know it is a cumulative update so that size varies ... but when it starts downloading it should know right?

Anyway, just seems like 10 is now in a perpetual state of updates after updates ... dare I say beta state?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Go here and you will know its size

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

For me it's only 24 MB

Go here and you will know its size

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

For me it's only 24 MB

Talking about while it is downloading.

I'll be joining the Mac -> PC fold soon; the local currency is dropping like a rock and my income has been stagnant for 2 years. The small premium I once paid for a Mac has become massive - sure, I like OS X but I don't like OS X *that* much nor can I justify spending that much of a premium over getting a comparable Windows computer that is good enough.

• Like 1

A Wi-Fi problem here. After upgrading to Windows 10, I could connect to all wifi hotspots except my college wifi. This issue is in all builds after 10240. All my drivers are up to date. Surprising thing is that many people I know could get wifi on 10240 but not in 10586. When rolled back to 10240, their connection works fine but not mine. When asked about this to the management, they told us to install Windows 7 as a solution:angry:. So any ideas where the issue is? My laptop or the college?

The rate of updates will go back to the normal patch Tuesday rate in time.  I think by redstone 1 we'll not have to worry much about patches, Windows 10 should be pretty stable and patched up by that time.

Question,

In the latest build when I open Edge and I click on a folder in the favorites bar the folder menu open, flashes and closes again. I have to click it again and then I can select my favorite. As a long as I don't close Edge it doesn't happen but as soon as I relaunch it I get it again.

I have it on my work PC too.

Do others have this annoying problem too? Or is because I sync my favorites?

18 hours ago, rufflow said:

Question,

In the latest build when I open Edge and I click on a folder in the favorites bar the folder menu open, flashes and closes again. I have to click it again and then I can select my favorite. As a long as I don't close Edge it doesn't happen but as soon as I relaunch it I get it again.

I have it on my work PC too.

Do others have this annoying problem too? Or is because I sync my favorites?

Yes, I can reproduce that error.  Only seems to happen on the very first attempt to open a folder. Not surprised it occurs on such a buggy, unstable, completely-not-ready-for-release browser.

6 hours ago, BeerFan said:

Yes, I can reproduce that error.  Only seems to happen on the very first attempt to open a folder. Not surprised it occurs on such a buggy, unstable, completely-not-ready-for-release browser.

Thanks. My colleague had the same issue. Quite annoying if  you are used to closing your windows a lot.

If you want the new ISO can you still use the old mediacreationtool.exe or do you need a new version?

If so can somebody point me in the right direction, please? Or will the original file just point to the new iso?

3 hours ago, Stoffel said:

If you want the new ISO can you still use the old mediacreationtool.exe or do you need a new version?

If so can somebody point me in the right direction, please? Or will the original file just point to the new iso?

Not sure if you need it but you can download it here from MS.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

• 2 weeks later...

So I got a bit of an issue which I can not figure out.  On my standard user account, Store doesn't open (it behaves properly in the admin account).  I get the following two error messages in the event log.

Capture.thumb.JPG.2c226bec60694b98eef131

Capture1.thumb.JPG.06967c3088bec564b7107

So I did the following in PS with admin rights

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-Appxpackage -Allusers

Bam, Store was gone and I found the packages full name to be Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
So I ran...

Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMod

The package installed without any errors.  

However, the problem still exists when trying to open the store (admin account is unaffected).  

This issue happened either after the Windows Store app update or the KB3124200 (build 10586.36) update.  While it was download the KB I was also updating store apps (one of which was an update for the store).  Though I really do not use apps, the ones that are installed (like calculator, photos, etc.) function correctly ... just not the store.

Any ideas (other than blowing away the account/resetting 10).  Google has been less than helpful with this particular error.

A bit off topic, I noticed in one of the error logs which has the line "verifcation and initialization" that verification is not correctly spelled. :)

14 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

So I got a bit of an issue which I can not figure out.  On my standard user account, Store doesn't open (it behaves properly in the admin account).  I get the following two error messages in the event log.

What is the outcome if you run the command wsreset (I just ran from Powershell but you might be able to run from cmd or directly from start)?