Could this be malware?

2 hours ago, Yazoo said:

Are your SSD's Crucial RealSSD C300 drives?

2 hours ago, devnulllore said:

I dunno what to think these drives are new Crucial MX500's Just replaced some older ones 2-3 months ago.

2 hours ago, devnulllore said:

Not from before. I have not tried a clean install on the second drive yet should I try this? That would mean installing my backup software which I suspected as being the problem at one time.

Uhhh why would you need your "backup" software if your doing a fresh install?

FYI resource monitor can help you identify what exactly is accessing what on your disk(s).  This will help you identify what exactly is going on.  

alternatively, process explorer can give you a lot more insight.   

https://tweaks.com/windows/39199/how-to-detect-what-process-is-thrashing-your-hard-drive/

This will help further identify if it is malware or some random system process/driver, then you can start asking the right questions and getting better answers vs a shotgun approach in hopes that it will resolve your issue.

53 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

Uhhh why would you need your "backup" software if your doing a fresh install?

In case I run into some sort of unbootable issue with the new install

So now I am running a fresh install from the second hard drive and no problem but I have not installed upgrade 1903 yet. I will run it for a few hours and see if it happens again. If not I will apply the upgrade tonight and let you know.

22 hours ago, Yazoo said:

Are your SSD's Crucial RealSSD C300 drives?

No

so everything was fine till I did the upgrade again. I noticed many of the driver dates are newer too but not completely current.

So here's the latest. I installed the upgrade, 1903, and it started again. I used process explorer to monitor things and every 30+ seconds or so explorer peaks to 90+ CPU usage  and everything stutters. Every now and then it crashes. So it is explorer and something to do with the the upgrade. Where do I go from here?

4 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

So here's the latest. I installed the upgrade, 1903, and it started again. I used process explorer to monitor things and every 30+ seconds or so explorer peaks to 90+ CPU usage  and everything stutters. Every now and then it crashes. So it is explorer and something to do with the the upgrade. Where do I go from here?

Actually do a clean install like recommended. An image is not a clean install, it is a snapshot in time of when whoever built the image felt everything was fine. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Actually do a clean install like recommended. An image is not a clean install, it is a snapshot in time of when whoever built the image felt everything was fine. 

And also use the official 1903 image not an 1809 or what ever it has been you've been using...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

When you click on the process in process explorer it will break down every file in use in association with explorer.exe see which one is causing the issue.  

35 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

And also use the official 1903 image not an 1809 or what ever it has been you've been using...

I am using 1903 that is what is causing the problem.

1 minute ago, devnulllore said:

I am using 1903 that is what is causing the problem.

From what you posted, you are installing an older build than doing an in-place upgrade, no?  That in-place upgrade could also be a cause of the issues.

1 minute ago, Matthew S. said:

From what you posted, you are installing an older build than doing an in-place upgrade, no?  That in-place upgrade could also be a cause of the issues.

Yes I believe it is

Then do you not see the issue?  There may be a conflicting reason as to why the in-place starts acting weird.  Try with a fresh 1903 image and go from there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, devnulllore said:

Yes I believe it is

Which is why we're asking you to try installing the 1903 build fresh directly; not using an older build and upgrading after install.

A fresh install directly with a 1903 ISO/USB may help your situation if something from the in-place upgrade is causing the issue

• Like 2

If you double click on explorer exe in process explorer, and go to the threads tab you can see what is using how much cpu and narrow down to the exact dll/exe that is causing your issues.   You could further narrow down to see what other dll's/exe's are being called by using the thread button.  Then you can research what the dll/exe is and/or associated threads and identify/disable/rename those files so they stop being called.  There could be a fix without reinstall.

2.jpg

6 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Which is why we're asking you to try installing the 1903 build fresh directly; not using an older build and upgrading after install.

A fresh install directly with a 1903 ISO/USB may help your situation if something from the in-place upgrade is causing the issue

All I have is an install disc. Where do I get a 1903 x64 image?

Just now, sc302 said:

It does both....

Please tell me how? I have used this tool before and saw n o option to make an x64 image.

Just now, devnulllore said:

Please tell me how? I have used this tool before and saw n o option to make an x64 image.

running the tool right now and creating a step by step....

2 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

do you want video, screenshots, or just text?

4 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

What they don't tell you is that's an x32 image. Can I download an x64 image somewhere?

The tool has three options, x32, x64 and both...