• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Could this be malware?

sc302    1,725
41 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Good point. He may all want to take a look at shellview .. I created a thread about it back in the windows 8 days, because there was a shell hook Nvidia was using which was causing a freeze on every right click. I use d this program to disable it.

yes, but that is still a shot in the dark.  The issue is, you don't know what is causing explorer.exe to spike.  Using this and randomly disabling crap is a crap shoot.  I am asking to drill down and see what is actually causing explorer.exe to spike and then if we need to find the utility to disable or uninstall the program or find some other way to inoculate it to permanently fix the issue utilizing tools that can do that....one of which is built into windows but doesn't go into as much detail as the other software by sysinternals.

Bottom line, no one here knows what is going on and everyone is shooting at the hip in hopes that issue is fixed.  Very few have offered any real troubleshooting steps or ideas, but many have offered guesses which is taking more time to accomplish vs finding root cause.  I even entertained the thought of reinstall, more so to help a struggling individual than thinking that it would actually solve anything. 

devnulllore    33

I finally found something although I am not sure it is much. After using Procmon I found the the process 'DasHost.Exe' was the process that was spiking. Does anyone know about this? Google states it controls communication between wired and wireless devices.

sc302    1,725

OK, lets look at dashost.exe.  It is found in windows\system32.  If you go into the file properties, Go do the details tab.  It should be microsoft copyrighted.  The version I have is 10.0.18362.1 with a date modified date of 3/19/2019.

With process explorer, you can further drill into that process and see what else is running with that.  Perhaps it isn't dashost.exe itself that is causing it and it is something else that is running with it.   You will have to double click on the process (explorer.exe) then double click again on the thread causing your pain in the threads tab.  Run Process Explorer as administrator, if it hasn't been said or is not known to do so.

+BudMan    3,536

I have the same version as sc302... but that process is using 0%  it not doing anything on my system at all.  Your saying it is spiking your cpu to 100?

devnulllore    33

Yes then it closes and restarts all in about 3 seconds

sc302    1,725

OK then, in process monitor, doubleclick on dashost.exe and lets see what the stack looks like and see if we can't figure out what is in there that is causing your issue.  Double click on each one and see if there isn't one that is not microsoft related...it will either not show a company or it will show a 3rd party.  Not having a signed company could be suspect.  Not knowing which one in the stack is causing your issue is also difficult.  

sc302    1,725

Whatever it is could be jumping processes.  Looking at the stack and similarities between the two different stacks (explorer vs dashost) might give a lot of insight as to what is going on (malware/viruses/something else) but you would have to catch it as the individual process is spiking.

+warwagon    13,101

Did we ever get your specs? Is this an OEM PC or home built? Which motherboard do you have? It's possible someone with your exact some part has already found a solution.

Jim K    13,445
19 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Did we ever get your specs? Is this an OEM PC or home built? Which motherboard do you have? It's possible someone with your exact some part has already found a solution.

He has the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 with an i7-3770k ... same as me. I do not have, nor have I had, the issue(s) which he has encountered.

eddman    369
Posted (edited)

Are you installing all your third-party software after each windows clean install? If you do, stop. You're going to have a hard time pinpointing the issue if you keep installing random stuff. Why do you even use a third-party defragmenter? Do not install random things until you've made sure the stutter is not caused by a driver or windows itself.

Boot into Safe Mode and see if it stutters there too.

Also, list every program you have installed right now (except for games).

Edited by eddman

devnulllore    33
4 hours ago, eddman said:

Are you installing all your third-party software after each windows clean install? If you do, stop. You're going to have a hard time pinpointing the issue if you keep installing random stuff. Why do you even use a third-party defragmenter? Do not install random things until you've made sure the stutter is not caused by a driver or windows itself.

Boot into Safe Mode and see if it stutters there too.

Also, list every program you have installed right now (except for games).

No the last time I did a complete reinstall I install only the Windows 10 updates and it was doing the same thing so we have eliminated most of what I had installed. Right now I have Chrome, Eset System Security, Acronis backup and Photoshop. I plan on doing my driver updates today.

devnulllore    33
8 hours ago, Jim K said:

He has the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 with an i7-3770k ... same as me. I do not have, nor have I had, the issue(s) which he has encountered.

Yes what he said and 2 MX500 SSD's on the Intel controller, 16G Corsair memory, Gforce GTX 1660TI Ultra Graphics card. What else do you need

devnulllore    33

So where is the best place to look for my latest drivers? I usually use the manufacturers site then station drivers.

devnulllore    33

So I opened my PC and cleaned it all out. Re-seated all my memory and video card. Checked all my cables and installed all the latest drivers. I am back to step one. Fresh Windows 10 x64 pro 1903 install and still suffering from stuttering. I read the latest Windows update introduced a conflict between Cortana and Nvidia drivers. Has anyone had this problem with Nvidia cards? Could this be video card related? Don't know where to go with this at this point.

Vince800    255

No because you had the issue prior to the latest update. Would you be able to post a video at all of this? It may be really obvious if we could actually look at the issue.

devnulllore    33

Can you point me to the software etc.. I need to do it?

+warwagon    13,101
4 hours ago, devnulllore said:

I would not recommend using software to record the video as recording would be using resources on the computer we are trying to troubleshoot. It would also be software being installed on a clean install. Just use your cell phone.

• Like 2

Vince800    255
4 hours ago, devnulllore said:

As @warwagon said, mobile phone footage would be best in this scenario.

+BudMan    3,536

Lets be clear this "clean" install is just windows... Not 10 other things you don't think is the issue..

A clean install is just that - CLEAN!!!  No 3rd party anything, no browsers, no this no that.. no security software, etc. etc.  Clean!!  Just ###### from MS, nothing else.

• Like 3

+BudMan    3,536
8 hours ago, devnulllore said:

installed all the latest drivers

That is not CLEAN either - we have no idea what you think is latest drivers.. Install it from windows... Pretty freaking sure MS will have drivers to get everything working, etc.  If something not working.. Then install the driver from the maker and LIST what you installed - exactly!!!  Don't go to some latestDrivers website, etc.

If X is not working that is not required for you to get a picture, keyboard and mouse and get on the internet - don't worry about it..

• Like 1

devnulllore    33

Ok so since I have a backup anyway I did yet another clean install, yes CLEAN, no extra drivers software or anything but what Windows does automatically. The first thing I noticed is the system ran quite smoothly until Windows automatically installed the video drivers then the stuttering began. Right now WINVER reports Windows x64 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.329) so it seems to be  introduced by a Windows update or the video drivers or something to do with both. What now?

Matthew S.    998

Remove your video card and try just running with the integrated video (the motherboards graphics chip)...

devnulllore    33

I have no integrated video

devnulllore    33

Yes, my version has no integrated video