Could this be malware?

1 hour ago, devnulllore said:

Yes I am logging into my Microsoft Account. Mi licence is valid as far as I know. The registration is in my bios.

The lag, yes but Explorer has not crashed since I got rid of the insiders build.

I think others may have already mentioned it but are you able to take a video of this happening, either using OBS or simply recording the screen with a camera?

I was just monitoring the processes while trying to get it to repeat and suddenly 'chrome - software reporter tool' showed up 6 times and pegged my CPU and the power usage level went to very high stayed there for a few seconds then stopped. Could this be a suspect? As for getting a video I have never tried it.

16 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

Here is what I was talking about with Chrome and the software reporting tool.

taskmanager.jpg

Possible, I've seen that process bring some systems to it's knees. I've removed chrome from a few of my machine's because of it. That software reporter tool uses a ridiculous mount of cpu.

32 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

I was just monitoring the processes while trying to get it to repeat and suddenly 'chrome - software reporter tool' showed up 6 times and pegged my CPU and the power usage level went to very high stayed there for a few seconds then stopped. Could this be a suspect? As for getting a video I have never tried it.

I doubt it because you said in a previous post it was happening on a clean install with nothing else yet installed.

Just now, Vince800 said:

I doubt it because you said in a previous post it was happening on a clean install with nothing else yet installed.

unless  he meant "nothing else installed yet except chrome'

47 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

No, you are correct I had not thought of that. Either way I disabled the tool to see if it helps.

7 hours ago, devnulllore said:

No, you are correct I had not thought of that. Either way I disabled the tool to see if it helps.

Your Chrome software reporting tool says it's 32bit,why not 64bit, is Windows only 32bit on your system?

Yeah I am curious as well why yours is showing 32..

I just fired chrome up.. And it showing as 64 on my system

chrome.thumb.png.26aa2514f939f67084b8aa91ee8441c8.png

What version of chrome are you running?

Google Chrome is up to date

Version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

47 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Yeah I am curious as well why yours is showing 32..

I just fired chrome up.. And it showing as 64 on my system

chrome.thumb.png.26aa2514f939f67084b8aa91ee8441c8.png

What version of chrome are you running?

Google Chrome is up to date

Version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I am using the 64 bit version. copy and paste from Chrome: Version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I'd try uninstalling chrome for a while see if it clears up. As an alternative to Chrome I'd recommend Brave.

Brave is still chromium based but without some of googles bloat and with a built in adblocker and a few other nice things. It can still use extensions from the chrome web store too

https://brave.com 

• Thanks 1

The time you have spent on this even at 10$ an hour you could of prob bought whole new machine ;)

You got something really odd going on - if you say your system is 64bit, and you install 64 bit software and its running as 32bit?  Why would that chrome software reporting show its running 32?  Had you installed multiple copies of chrome?  You say your doing a clean install, but then we come to find out you have xyz installed.. Clean would be NOTHING but the OS..

Are you running anything that is putting stuff in compatibility mode?

Run it like that.. Do you have any problems before you install software X... Run it like that for a while, do you see the issue?  If not then move on to installing software Y..

Also noticed you EVGA X server something running - so this again points to not being actually "clean" install.  Don't use your MS account when you install it... Just install it pure clean..

It is the 64 bit version of Chrome and I had already eliminated my graphics software before installing it. The issue began again before I even installed new drivers so I was in the process of installing the software to see if anything exacerbated the situation. Chrome did that.

8 hours ago, BudMan said:

well then why is your software reporter tool running as 32bit?

The software reporter is a separate program and I doubt if there is a 64 bit version

So I updated all my drivers as I usually would and am still having the issue. Windows Explorer CPU usage spikes, system lags for a second or two them stops and Windows Explorer crashes my desktop every now and then.

Does this now sound more hardware related? Where do I go from here? I checked my MB temps and they are all ok.

Need to drill into the processes to really see.  I don’t know. I can’t do it for you.  I gave you the tools.  

For errors to not show in event cower is odd if it is a hardware issue.  If it were a big hardware issue you would get blue screens....is you computer locking up to where you have to reboot it?   The issue you were having was high drive usage, has this changed?   Are you now seeing high cpu usage?  Os is it crashing?

6 hours ago, devnulllore said:

Explorer crashes my desktop every now and then.

What does the event log say when that happens?

Oh sorry I completely forgot to check the event log since the new install. I have a bunch of errors and warnings. The first error is DistributedCOM 10010. There are dozens of these all in about 10 minute increments. The second error is Service Control Manager 7009, 7023, 7031 and 7034. Then I have Bits Client 16392, volmgr 46 and KernalPNP 225. There are also dozens of warnings if you want me to list them. That's where I am so far. Let me know if you need any more info.

I really think that it would be helpful if you could record a video of this happening as it may be an easy answer if we could actually see what you're getting here. You could even record the screen using a camera or phone if you're not familiar with OBS etc.

Just as thought, are you sorting folders by date? I've found that on Windows if you have a large number of files in a directory and it's sorted by date, it will take a few seconds to sort itself on first access sometimes.

Well you should prob look into the details of each error/warning and look to correct stuff that is not correct.

I'm not seeing any dcom 10010 errors, but in mine I see some 10016, which I have just corrected.  Decom permissions can be adjusted..

Volmgr 46, points to crash dump file not there? Not created?

http://www.eventid.net/display-eventid-46-source-volmgr-eventno-10647-phase-1.htm

Are you disabling swap?? ie your pagefile?

On 8/7/2019 at 8:05 AM, devnulllore said:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.d07831a3535fc348ebe747ec2ac6b686.jpg

I ran the rescue disk and deleted the boot folder but still accesses the drive and causes hitching (system pauses) when it does.

TL;DR 6 pages, so sorry if it's been addressed already, but you are missing lots of unallocated space there, ~ 46GB.

I hadn't noticed that screenshot before.. I would agree 46GB of SSD space is nothing to sneeze at ;)  If had to guess, I would say its setting for over provisioning... Would have nothing to do with this issue.