Tesla Cybertruck

Well, that answers the question of what kind of person would be stupid enough to ###### away that kind of money on a Cybertruck.

On 07/05/2024 at 12:54, Xenon said:

Cybertruck Owner Breaks His Finger Trying to Show Vehicle Is Safe

The idiot did it with a stick and it broke the stick. So he decided to do it with his finger.... and guess what happened! :D

It's a feature, not a bug.  

elon musk doing something stupid again.jpg

New Record: Cyberstuck registers 0-to-Broken in under a mile!

https://new.reddit.com/r/EnoughMuskSpam/comments/1bst330/new_record_cyberstuck_registers_0tobroken_in/

Well he only paid around $120,000 for the founders edition. I wonder how they will void his warranty. 

Summary: CT drained in 85 miles and cost more to recharge than top off the diesel. 

On 11/05/2024 at 17:50, adrynalyne said:

Summary: CT drained in 85 miles and cost more to recharge than top off the diesel. 

Two different classes of vehicle

The RAM 2500 Cummins configured for towing can pull 20,000 lb, so 8,000 is less than half its capability. 

Cybertruck can tow 11,000, so towing the same 8,000 lbs is at the upper range of its capability, thus the high power usage.

Put that RAM up against a Tesla Semi, which can tow 44,000 lbs 500 miles,  and you have a similar contest but with far different results.

Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2024 at 15:27, DocM said:

Two different classes of vehicle

The RAM 2500 Cummins configured for towing can pull 20,000 lb, so 8,000 is less than half its capability. 

Cybertruck can tow 11,000, so towing the same 8,000 lbs is at the upper range of its capability, thus the high power usage.

Put that RAM up against a Tesla Semi, which can tow 44,000 lbs 500 miles,  and you have a similar contest but with far different results.

Yeah, I don’t care. I just posted a video and couldn’t give a ###### about the class of vehicle. I was more amused that it was more expensive to fuel the CT. 

• Like 2

Well I actually saw my first cybertruck in the wild. It much bigger irl than I thought and I still think it is incredibly ugly. Plus it was not broken down so that's always a plus. 

• Like 2

On 11/05/2024 at 19:23, Xenon said:

Well I actually saw my first cybertruck in the wild. It much bigger irl than I thought and I still think it is incredibly ugly. Plus it was not broken down so that's always a plus. 

I think the Cybertruck and other edgy vehicles are like women, every guy likes something different.

I think it appeals to me because I became an adult in the late 60's, so in the 1970s we were interested in "wedge" cars like the Lotus Esprit S1, Lamborghini Countach, etc.

The Lotus became James Bond's submarine car, aka "Wet Nellie." Musk now owns it, and the Cybertruck design team took it as inspiration and built a clay model (but did not tell him they were doing it). One look and he gave it a thumbs up.

• Facepalm 2

On 11/05/2024 at 17:23, DocM said:

I think the Cybertruck and other edgy vehicles are like women, every guy likes something different.

I like my women to not keel over shortly after meeting them. 

On 11/05/2024 at 20:40, adrynalyne said:

Or die on the side of the road.

On 11/05/2024 at 20:40, adrynalyne said:

I don't know, sometimes that's an invitation to join her ;)

On 11/05/2024 at 18:20, DocM said:

You and I have a different definition of keel over then. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2024 at 09:52, tiagosilva29 said:

@DocM, I love you man but you're too much emotionally attached to this vehicle.

No, I just know what I like and I like different. Too many gumdrop vehicles on the road today.

That said, I'm attached to my Daytona Turbo Z;  metallic garnet, silver air dams, whale tail spoiler. Picked up my wife in that car.

On 12/05/2024 at 02:20, DocM said:

Sounds somewhat rapey, assuming an unwell woman is an open invite for sexual advances. Figures…

• Like 2

On 30/04/2024 at 07:22, FloatingFatMan said:

Since when has Musk, or Tesla (or SpaceX for that matter), EVER kept to an oft promised launch date? EVER?

Are we forgetting a little thing called covid, and the associated shipping delays? That slowed down a lot of automotive development, not just Tesla's. It also put Cybertruck behind schedule. Even with that, the average vehicle development time in the US is 6 years. CT was pretty close.

Ford has been losing almost $100k/vehicle, others more or less. Tesla has been making margins of between 17% and 30%. The difference is that they have to catch up with the technology that Tesla developed and open sourced in 2014. Adaptation has been hard for them.

And Tesla is not just a car company, they are also the world's largest provider of battery storage for utility companies; Tesla Energy. 

And now Tesla's North American Charging System will be the standard in the North American market. Chargers will have CCS compatibility for legacy vehicles (a second cord or built-in/removable adapter), but starting next year cars made for the North American market will have the Tesla socket, SAE-J3400.

• Facepalm 1

On 15/05/2024 at 19:53, DocM said:

Are we forgetting a little thing called covid, and the associated shipping delays? That slowed down a lot of automotive development, not just Tesla's. It also put Cybertruck behind schedule. Even with that, the average vehicle development time in the US is 6 years. CT was pretty close.

Ford has been losing almost $100k/vehicle, others more or less. Tesla has been making margins of between 17% and 30%. The difference is that they have to catch up with the technology that Tesla developed and open sourced in 2014. Adaptation has been hard for them.

And Tesla is not just a car company, they are also the world's largest provider of battery storage for utility companies; Tesla Energy. 

And now Tesla's North American Charging System will be the standard in the North American market. Chargers will have CCS compatibility for legacy vehicles (a second cord or built-in/removable adapter), but starting next year cars made for the North American market will have the Tesla socket, SAE-J3400.

Yeah yeah yeah, excuses, diversions and other nonsense.  Keep up the white knighting Doc.  Maybe one day, Musk will continue to not know or care that you exist. ;)

image.png.d59ba653804375ff4aebb513be5451a6.png

On 15/05/2024 at 15:00, FloatingFatMan said:

Yeah yeah yeah, excuses, diversions and other nonsense.  

No excuses necessary, the facts are against your comments.

CT 9000 Tonne giga-casting machine orders (2) went to IDRA in Q1 2020, couldn't get it shipped until mid-2023.  

SpaceX rockets fly more missions and tonnage than the rest of the world combined. They fly crew for the US, Canada, Japan, ESA, UK, the Middle Eastern nations, and even Russians.

With Europe's perpetual delays in getting Ariane 6 flying, Falcon 9 is flying most of Europe's flagship  payloads including Galileo. 

You're welcome

• Facepalm 2

On 13/05/2024 at 15:05, DocM said:

Cybertruck rear-ended by Dodge RAM

https://insideevs.com/news/710125/tesla-cybertruck-rear-end-crash-dodge-ram/

450-miles-in-got-rear-ended-v0-fjjsccf7rmkc1.thumb.jpg.5f1fba2ff5da751c59b14897732602d4.jpg

450-miles-in-got-rear-ended-v0-dhvifcf7rmkc1.thumb.jpg.1211b70373518eb0e4f169d6d95f9f46.jpg

Bumper cars with a Mustang

And just for variety, 

Model Y that a familicidal driver drove off of a 250 ft cliff and everyone survived? The passenger cage held. The father was arrested.

here-is-a-photo-of-the-tesla-model-y-that-tumbled-250ft-v0-of0twnkax8aa1(1).jpg.1c37600b5bbe91096d29dd2b8933c482.jpg.0d2e47ccc8f8c80e84db6f043398d5b2.jpg

Yeah. No crumple zones. Just what someone wants when they crash their car. 

Here take the very real, $700 cyber hammer. Maybe take it with you to unstick your head from Elons rectum. 

since the hammer can’t be used on hard surfaces lol lol lol lol.

IMG_2530.jpeg

On 15/05/2024 at 21:09, wakjak said:

Yeah. No crumple zones. Just what someone wants when they crash their car. 

Incorrect, Tere's a significant crumple zone, but you need to understand how the cars are designed to see them.

Most cars use sheet metal formed to progressively fail when hit from the end. There are other methods to accomplish this. Tesla uses a casting which is designed to progressively fail along its length. This is incorporated in the castings that makes up the front and rear frame. Between them is a structural battery pack, the pack being so strong it can withstand high-speed side impacts.

Get used to seeing these because other automakers are picking up this use of frame castings. They are stronger, faster to make, and cheaper.

Follow the yellow arrow to see the frame crush bar. There's another pair built into the bumper. 

Screenshot_2024-05-15-21-58-15-134.jpeg.4e24b3d745b2c4571bd42a6f3952fba3.jpeg

Edited by DocM
  • Facepalm 1

On 16/05/2024 at 03:27, DocM said:

Between them is a structural battery pack, the pack being so strong it can withstand high-speed side impacts.

Just make sure you don't get it wet when it drizzles, because then it'll fail totally and they won't warranty it... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 16/05/2024 at 09:03, FloatingFatMan said:

Just make sure you don't get it wet when it drizzles, because then it'll fail totally and they won't warranty it... ;)

Not really, these castings are an extremely tough alloy.  

Like I said, get used to Giga Press* frames. Hyundai, Ford, Toyota, Volvo...a list is getting very long. 

When you make a unibody you are either welding or bonding together over 100 parts, then there's all the robots & other work involved. A Giga Press reduces that down to two castings and one structural battery pack. Takes about 3 minutes to make each casting for a Tesla Model Y, and they have several machines.

* Not Tesla's term, the company that builds the machine named it.

• Facepalm 3