[Official] Xbox Series X & Series S Discussion

I noticed with yesterdays xbox august update the build number changed from 19041.*** to 22000.***.

Does this mean we have migrated over to the xbox version of  win 11? only asking out of curiosity as i cant find any infor other then the build jump.

On 21/08/2021 at 00:03, Kratzie said:

I noticed with yesterdays xbox august update the build number changed from 19041.*** to 22000.***.

Does this mean we have migrated over to the xbox version of  win 11? only asking out of curiosity as i cant find any infor other then the build jump.

The base code has likely changed but as far as any differences you'd have to wait for MS to spell it out.

On 21/08/2021 at 08:03, Kratzie said:

It probably has, but nothing official has been said yet.  Once this version of the dash/OS goes closer to final they'll probably spell it out for us.

This might deserve it's own thread but for now I guess I can drop it in here.

Did anyone else get a controller update? I know there was one a couple weeks ago(?), and updated then, but got another one today.

On 23/08/2021 at 15:41, tsupersonic said:

Did anyone else get a controller update? I know there was one a couple weeks ago(?), and updated then, but got another one today.

I haven't used my XSX for quite some time actually.  Been busy so I've been gaming in small 1hr spurts on my PC.    I'll probably have a few updates to do next time I turn it on.

On 23/08/2021 at 13:41, tsupersonic said:

Think I had one a few days ago. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/09/2021 at 02:03, spacelordmaster said:

The visuals of Battlefront II on the Xbox Series S is nothing short of impressive. WOW.

Looks great. I'm still impressed with the performance of the S. I wanted the X, but I'm happy with the S. By the time they release a new Series X, I'll have enough Microsoft Rewards points to get another console for free (if it stays in stock!)

On 09/09/2021 at 07:43, tsupersonic said:

Looks great. I'm still impressed with the performance of the S. I wanted the X, but I'm happy with the S. By the time they release a new Series X, I'll have enough Microsoft Rewards points to get another console for free (if it stays in stock!)

This "new" console in the rumors is more likely just a die shrink of the current tech.

On 09/09/2021 at 15:45, Randomevent said:

This "new" console in the rumors is more likely just a die shrink of the current tech.

Yeah, die shrink for both the S and X.  There's no reason, at this point, to do a mid-gen refresh like with the PS4 Pro and One X.  The current consoles, PS5 and S/X, aren't as vastly underpowered as the PS4 and One were at release.    Simple die shrinks and slimmer models are fine.

If they try to up something like clock speeds on the smaller die models, not that it would have a huge impact on the developers but it'd just ###### people off at this point.  

On 09/09/2021 at 11:20, George P said:

Yeah, die shrink for both the S and X.  There's no reason, at this point, to do a mid-gen refresh like with the PS4 Pro and One X.  The current consoles, PS5 and S/X, aren't as vastly underpowered as the PS4 and One were at release.    Simple die shrinks and slimmer models are fine.

If they try to up something like clock speeds on the smaller die models, not that it would have a huge impact on the developers but it'd just ###### people off at this point.  

I'm not saying they can't be improved models, though I'd expect in the vein of Xbox One vs Xbox One S.  I'm just saying its more likely they'd want to bring costs down as a first priority.

On 09/09/2021 at 22:00, Randomevent said:

I'm not saying they can't be improved models, though I'd expect in the vein of Xbox One vs Xbox One S.  I'm just saying its more likely they'd want to bring costs down as a first priority.

Yeah, we don't need any type of spec bumped pro models though.  The S is pretty small as it is, don't think they're in a rush to try and make it smaller.  Anything they can shave off of the size/weight/costs of the X are probably the top priority.  

On 09/09/2021 at 15:45, George P said:

Yeah, we don't need any type of spec bumped pro models though.  The S is pretty small as it is, don't think they're in a rush to try and make it smaller.  Anything they can shave off of the size/weight/costs of the X are probably the top priority.  

Want more availability of the X. The S seems to be in stock pretty much daily at this point, which is great. 

On 10/09/2021 at 12:22, tsupersonic said:

Want more availability of the X. The S seems to be in stock pretty much daily at this point, which is great. 

Reports say PC GPU costs are coming down in some places and you'd have better luck with retail stores than online outlets.  I wouldn't be surprised if console availability was screwed til next year (Christmas and all)  but things seem to be looking up.

• 1 month later...
On 31/10/2021 at 21:14, spacelordmaster said:

The Xbox Series S is one powerful little console. Look at those graphics. Damn.

The S is worth it if you're not a huge gfx ######.  For lack of a better word.    You'll tend to get a lower res or a lower framerate compared to the X but if you're not stuck on getting 4k@60 all the time it's well worth the low price IMO.

On 01/11/2021 at 03:49, George P said:

The S is worth it if you're not a huge gfx ######.  For lack of a better word.    You'll tend to get a lower res or a lower framerate compared to the X but if you're not stuck on getting 4k@60 all the time it's well worth the low price IMO.

It depends if you're playing current gen or last gen games.  Series Optimized stuff comes through really well.  Stuff updated for the One X not so much.

I liked mine too, but it was terrible with some games.

On 01/11/2021 at 04:49, George P said:

That video I posted was my own gameplay. I play COD Cold War most of the time and I have yet to experience any frame drops. The game runs super smooth at 120fps, 2K.

• 2 months later...

Had to sell my XSX.  Boo.

I still really loved it for Series games and One X games.  Older games looked kinda trash, at least on my 4K screen.  Obviously, I expected it, but...I thought some of them had a better showing on the One X.  Maybe not.

And why are we still 30 or 60 locked on near everything when Freesync/VRR have been a thing for so long?  Yeesh.  Gotta admit, that's the one area I think PC stomps on consoles.

The OS feels kinda stale too, though it does work for the most part...eh.

Anyway, I'll probably get a new one within a few months.  Just workin on some stuff.

On 30/01/2022 at 07:52, Chaos Mage said:

Had to sell my XSX.  Boo.

I still really loved it for Series games and One X games.  Older games looked kinda trash, at least on my 4K screen.  Obviously, I expected it, but...I thought some of them had a better showing on the One X.  Maybe not.

And why are we still 30 or 60 locked on near everything when Freesync/VRR have been a thing for so long?  Yeesh.  Gotta admit, that's the one area I think PC stomps on consoles.

The OS feels kinda stale too, though it does work for the most part...eh.

Anyway, I'll probably get a new one within a few months.  Just workin on some stuff.

Not every tv has vrr support from what I've seen, and so far developers are still supporting last gen, this year should be the end of that though, think anything coming out second half or holiday season will be for new systems only so we should finally see 30fps gone.   VRR is worth it to smooth out 60fps,  though if you're playing some game at 120fps any dips there to say, 100 or 90 isn't going to be as noticeable as it is when you drop hard from 60.  

On 30/01/2022 at 06:12, George P said:

Not every tv has vrr support from what I've seen, and so far developers are still supporting last gen, this year should be the end of that though, think anything coming out second half or holiday season will be for new systems only so we should finally see 30fps gone.   VRR is worth it to smooth out 60fps,  though if you're playing some game at 120fps any dips there to say, 100 or 90 isn't going to be as noticeable as it is when you drop hard from 60.  

The ones anyone should be buying to go with an Xbox Series machine or even a One X have it or at least Freesync.  One/One S peeps could use Freesync too but obviously their experience is gonna be pretty awkward no matter what.

Forza Horizon 5 is still at 30fps on a Series X in quality mode btw.  I thought we were past that crap but oh well, it did look great.

On 30/01/2022 at 18:41, Chaos Mage said:

The ones anyone should be buying to go with an Xbox Series machine or even a One X have it or at least Freesync.  One/One S peeps could use Freesync too but obviously their experience is gonna be pretty awkward no matter what.

Forza Horizon 5 is still at 30fps on a Series X in quality mode btw.  I thought we were past that crap but oh well, it did look great.

Yeah but it's probably a hold over from having to support last gen still.   I'll be interested in seeing how Forza 7 and Horizon 6 do it since those are going to be Series and PC only.