[Official] Xbox Series X & Series S Discussion

On 06/10/2020 at 10:44, George P said:

Not a big deal to them or they're just giving Sony a pass again.  Honestly if MS couldn't sync your saves it'd be headline news for a week.   I don't much care which system someone buys and plays on but the double standards irk me to no end.

I suspect in reality it's only PS4 games that have a separate PS5 version, in which I don't really care about that.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Skiver said:

It's kind of crazy how stuck on compatibility MS is at times.  It's both a good thing and a bad thing (in the case of Windows it's starting to hurt more than help IMO).

This honestly shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.  And going forward, to next next-gen, I expect everything will still run.

14 hours ago, George P said:

It's kind of crazy how stuck on compatibility MS is at times.  It's both a good thing and a bad thing (in the case of Windows it's starting to hurt more than help IMO).

This honestly shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.  And going forward, to next next-gen, I expect everything will still run.

I think it's a funny one, I think it's one of those things that people love, I'm just not so sure how much people use it.

When I say that I'm specifically talking about Xbox and 360 games, I think releasing without support of Xbox One games would obviously be a disaster right now with the current line up.

2 hours ago, Skiver said:

I think it's a funny one, I think it's one of those things that people love, I'm just not so sure how much people use it.

When I say that I'm specifically talking about Xbox and 360 games, I think releasing without support of Xbox One games would obviously be a disaster right now with the current line up.

Yeah, I don't know how much it's used but I think that going forward we'll just expect everything to work like on the pc.  Lots of people don't rush to buy new hardware until the library has grown but by running everything and better out of the box you might see more people jump in sooner. 

That's why I don't think the launch lineup being what it is hurts as much as it would of. 

17 hours ago, George P said:

In the case of Windows I wish they could do more.  There are games I can't even run right in modern systems in win10 but work fine in Linux.

I think they're working on it but the results are often hard to see.

Speaking of not much I had to cancel my preorders so I hope I can still get in on the launch day madness.  Otherwise this might be a very long couple months.

1 hour ago, LostCat said:

They can't even tell!  They're trying to figure out if people would buy an Xbox branded mini fridge 😁

Fans made the Xbox Onesie real and it started off like the fridge,  wouldn't surprise me if they do partner with someone and make a mini-fridge version.   It's kind of even more funny how this started from haters and their fridge memes and it might end up as one more thing they can sell and make some money off of.    

Don't know if any of you guys plan on getting Watch Dogs: Legion with the new boxes, but based on my experience on the X1X it might be better to wait for another patch or two. :p

Like 95% of it works perfectly, and then it doesn't.

11 hours ago, LostCat said:

Don't know if any of you guys plan on getting Watch Dogs: Legion with the new boxes, but based on my experience on the X1X it might be better to wait for another patch or two. :p

Typical Ubisoft, that's been the case for many of their games.   That said, it does look great on XSX it sounds like, I've seen some vids online.

11 hours ago, LostCat said:

Ha I was just looking at ordering it. I think I saw a video on the Xbox YT channel and thought, damn this is a good looking game. I then jumped into Watch Dogs 2 and that made me re-think. 

11 hours ago, techbeck said:

MS charged my account a day or two ago.  So I should be set to get my system on time.

Same. My Xbox is being delivered to my father in laws as we've just moved and we've had a few deliveries not make it. This classes as an essential trip right?

Someone in Canada got their Series S a week early. Source

Series S has 364GB useable. I don't think that's anywhere near enough. 

3 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yeah, that would be tough to juggle, you couldn't  even have CoD Warzone plus Destiny 2 installed for example.

I'm not even sure the 1TB or roughly 800GB will last me all that long.

18 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Yeah, that would be tough to juggle, you couldn't  even have CoD Warzone plus Destiny 2 installed for example.

I'm not even sure the 1TB or roughly 800GB will last me all that long.

Call of Duty sounds like they're seriously trying to ###### people off.  Heh.

Except for FF15 with all the DLC I'm not even sure I can name one other game over 100GB (and if I could, it'd probably be another Call of Duty game.)

3 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Does sound like it's small, but if devs use the faster and better compression + smart delivery then games could save space I think.  The system should be smart enough to know that you're using a Series S, thus you don't need the higher end 4k assets which take up a good chunk of space compared to the FHD/2k versions.   Plus the whole speedy compression/decompression the new systems can do should help.

I also think a good chunk of that, probably 100GB or so, is probably reserved for quick resume.   Likewise I think a bit more is saved on the series x for it.   

5 minutes ago, LostCat said:

Call of Duty sounds like they're seriously trying to ###### people off.  Heh.

It's getting out of hand, over 200GB for the new black ops if I remember right, that's just crazy.

1 hour ago, dipsylalapo said:

Just had a dispatch notification from Ms for my Series X 😁

Nice, I got a phone call from the retailer I ordered mine from, should have it on the 10th or the 11th they said.  The whole virus lockdown could be a issue or not, don't know yet.  One or two days isn't that big a deal to me.   I also have plans for a newer TV, I do have a 4k one a got a few years ago but it's only 60hz.  I'm eyeing a new 4k tv that can do 120hz as well, along with the newer HDR+ stuff etc.

59 minutes ago, George P said:

Nice, I got a phone call from the retailer I ordered mine from, should have it on the 10th or the 11th they said.  The whole virus lockdown could be a issue or not, don't know yet.  One or two days isn't that big a deal to me.   I also have plans for a newer TV, I do have a 4k one a got a few years ago but it's only 60hz.  I'm eyeing a new 4k tv that can do 120hz as well, along with the newer HDR+ stuff etc.

IMO it's not really worth the extra cost yet.  The new HDR stuff can be had fairly cheap.  Not so much on the 4k120.

Just now, LostCat said:

IMO it's not really worth the extra cost yet.  The new HDR stuff can be had fairly cheap.  Not so much on the 4k120.

Yeah, it's just that the room where I'm going to setup the XSX has a older 1080p 42" TV,  And I don't feel like taking a 4k TV I have from another room.   I'm in no rush, the new TV will be sometime later, at best it'll be a xmas gift to myself.

10 minutes ago, Skiver said:

I know this isn't really a series S/X thing but interested to find out what in the hell this means...

Related to Jedi Fallen Order coming to Game Pass via EA Play?